Thread: Funky 70's songs

Mad Tigers

Funky 70's songs

There are certain Elvis songs that are extreamly 70s sounding. Like "If You Talk In Your Sleep" and "I've Got A Feeling In My Body". What are some other funky 70's Elvis songs like those?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    "I've Got A Feeling In My Body" sounds to me like a piece of sound track from Starsky and Hutch lol.

Others to be considered funky......

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
    Moody Blue
    Raised On Rock
    I Can Help
    I've Got A Thing About You Baby
    Way Down

Some of the above are just completely cool and funky but hands down the winner is "I've Got A Feeling In My Body"

Matt

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Raised On Rock
    If You Talk In Your Sleep
    I Can Help (LOVE this song)
    Three Corn Patches
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Funky?

Three Corn Patches? One of the worst tracks he ever recorded, IMHO. I think it was Jerry Scheff who said of it: "No matter which way you slice it, s**t is still s**t!" Nice one, Jer!

As for getting funky in the 70s, definitely If You Talk In Your Sleep is the standout here. And the live versions - all of which were better than the studio cut - are even funkier.

The others mentioned here are quite funky. And what about the March '75 jam session of Tiger Man? Funky-ish, I think ... ?

I'd say the songs cut at Stax during 1973 rank as his most funky material. In addition to those already mentioned, "Just A Little Bit", "Find Out What's Happening" and "If You Don't Come Back" are very funky to my ears. Of his earlier stuff, "Down In the Alley", "Stranger In My Own Hometown", and "I Was Born Ten Thousand Years Ago" are just a few that come to mind.

Our man had no problem handling that funky stuff!
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    The undubbed version (or the stripped down one, actually) of IYTIYS as heard on Stax Trax is even funkier, I think, and it kicks @$$.

If You Don't Come Back
    Just A Little Bit
    Find Out What's Happening

The above tracks, also from Stax, are overall not that strong but they've got the funk.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

nashville, i started my posted and got distracted before I could finish it. I'm not actually as unoriginal as it looks.

Obviously I agree with you.

Oh yeah, the Tiger Man jam, srj. Good call.

Stax Trax

Stax Trax ... undubbed or stripped down?

Try ... rip OFF.

The tracks on these poor bootleg LPs were just bad mixes of the official versions. If you adjust your stereos, you can hear everything that was there originally. Same with the Yesterday Today boot.

But fantastic artwork on both of these boots.

But back to funk: I don't think anything Elvis recorded can be strictly called funk. I think maybe Sly Stone or the late and great Curtis Mayfield may have something to say about it. In the same way, Elvis' jazzy tracks can't be considered real jazz.

So maybe "funk-ish"?

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    But back to funk: I don't think anything Elvis recorded can be strictly called funk. I think maybe Sly Stone or the late and great Curtis Mayfield may have something to say about it. In the same way, Elvis' jazzy tracks can't be considered real jazz.

So maybe "funk-ish"?
    No, the type of music that came to be branded funk Elvis doesn't have much in common with. But there was a very popular brand of Southern "funk" being performed in the late 60's and early 70's by mainly white performers. The best example I could cite would be Jerry Reed. Listen to a cut like "Amos Moses". The playing style (especially the guitar), is an example of the kind of "funkiness" Elvis has the most in common with.

While we're talking jams, I would have to cite that long "Washed My Hands In Muddy Water" jam on the Platinum box. Burton's guitar on that is just incredible. Also, "I Got My Mojo Working".
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    If you truly want to hear some serious 70's funkiness, just listen to the synthesizer that David Briggs is playing on the opening of SEE SEE RIDER from the TUCSON '76 FTD CD!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Three Corn Patches? One of the worst tracks he ever recorded, IMHO. I think it was Jerry Scheff who said of it: "No matter which way you slice it, s**t is still s**t!" Nice one, Jer!

As for getting funky in the 70s, definitely If You Talk In Your Sleep is the standout here. And the live versions - all of which were better than the studio cut - are even funkier.

The others mentioned here are quite funky. And what about the March '75 jam session of Tiger Man? Funky-ish, I think ... ?
    Hey, where can I find the March '75 jam session of Tiger Man? Thanks!
    Elliot

Tiger Man

The 'March '75 jam of Tiger Man is on the 70s boxed set, disc 4.

And it rocks ...

Quote Originally Posted by EP6873 View Post
    Hey, where can I find the March '75 jam session of Tiger Man? Thanks!
    It's Funky but a little slow for for my taste

Stax Trax ... undubbed or stripped down?

Try ... rip OFF.

The tracks on these poor bootleg LPs were just bad mixes of the official versions. If you adjust your stereos, you can hear everything that was there originally. Same with the Yesterday Today boot.
    No question. The same goes for the Our Memories Of Elvis LPs, and some songs were done to better effect than others. On some tracks the removal of certain channels is really obvious; either they were not turned down all the way or there was a lot of "bleeding" from one channel to the next (probably the latter). Regardless I enjoy listening to them and prefer a number of those versions to the originals, although the overall sound quality is not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76
    If you truly want to hear some serious 70's funkiness, just listen to the synthesizer that David Briggs is playing on the opening of SEE SEE RIDER from the TUCSON '76 FTD CD!!!
    Absolutely! I remember when I first heard that thinking how remarkably different it was. Is that a case of his playing a lot differently or his instrument being a lot higher up in the mix, I wonder?

Hey, I just thought of a couple others. On the TTWII SE set, the rehearsals of I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water and Johnny B. Goode. Some guitar work from JB on those tracks is seriously funktified.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    The undubbed version (or the stripped down one, actually) of IYTIYS as heard on Stax Trax is even funkier, I think, and it kicks @$$.
    Good call

This is one of my favourite Elvis things - the funky side. I love the funky 70's clothes, superfly suits, gypsy suit, the funky tunes and soulful female backing vocals. The best of funky Elvis:

If u don't come back (drums, bass and backing vocals take a bow)
    I got a feeling in my body (hail to all involved)
    Walk a mile in my shoes (backing vocals on fire)
    polk salad annie (james brown horns da da dadada )
    change of habit (love those drums and that bass)
    if u talk in your sleep (the live arrangement is pure superfly)

Not strictly Funk, but cool funky sounding tracks from the latte 60's and 70's:

A Littles Conversation '68
    Rubbernekin '69
    Stranger in My Own Home Town '69 (As recorded in a very funky funky studio)
    CHange of Habit '69
    Lets Us Pray '69
    Polk Salad Annie '70
    Polk Salad Annie '72
    Hound Dog '72 (live)
    FInd Out What Happening ´73
    If YOu Dont COme Back ´73
    Just A little Bit ´73
    If You Talk On YOur Sleep ´74
    GOt a Feeling in My Body ´74

And remember those instumentals vamps during the August '70 Vegas Season? and what was the name of the song that the TCB Band played during the band members intro?

Elvis do liked soul and funk music, he really was into James Brown stuff, althrough he was probably some kind freaked out by some funky angels once in a while...

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    "If You Talk In Your Sleep" from 9/2/74 CS has got to be one of the funkiest songs ever...especially the intro to it, sounds so cool !!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Backstage Pass
    'Steamroller Blues' is a funky one !!

'The Next Step Is Love' is also a favourite