Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your opinion on EPE

I see almost everyone here agree that is EPE who needs all that junk not Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Awickedreigndrop View Post
    All you hear from EPE is "Trying to reach the younger generation" Well, to me Elvis was doing this without all the Elvis ducks, doggie gold suits, and high priced foam flip flops. It's was his music and charisma that was alluring them in the first place.

I as for one, was born four years after his death and I still became a huge fan before EPE was pushing these pricy gemmicks.

All I'm trying to say is, they should just let the man's music do the talking.
    Yes, but let's get some perspective here and some balance in the argument. Firstly, EPE don't control the music, so their hands are a little tied on that front. Secondly, it's not like all EPE does is produce ducks and novelty items. If that were the case, I would be slamming them as much as anyone else. Are we forgetting the 68 and Aloha box sets, and Elvis by the Presleys? Three very worthwhile and brilliantly executed projects. An edited version of the latter was shown on prime time on one of the biggest tv channels in the UK and I believe was shown in the US too in a similar fashion. Added to that, high profile and positive features were included in the print media and online about the show. Now, the novelty items do nothing for me, but it's only existing fans who are even remotely aware of them. That broadcast may have been on the radar of the audience EPE are targetting, but the Elvis Duck sure as hell wasn't.
    Then let's remember the excellent Elvis Lives show from a few years back, where Elvis was hailed as the greatest entertainer of all time by serious A-list performers, young and old - even modern artists such as Norah Jones and Britney. All in all, a great success.

EPE is not perfect as an organisation by any means, but sometimes people seem to completely ignore the positive moves and focus entirely on the negatives. Let's also remember that the much talked about Elvis Duck was simply part of an existing series of collectables, not a unique EPE idea only involving Elvis. There are ducks for the main players in the NBA and NHL, as well as most of the really significant figures from music, film and even politics, eg James Brown, Kiss, Charlie Chaplin, James Dean and even Maurice's beloved Beethoven. I can't see the appeal of the series, but it's no suprise that Elvis is included alongside other legends.

The latest announcement is that EPE has organised Elvis' own area on Youtube, which is one of the most popular websites among the young now. Another positive move that EPE haters will be inclined to ignore in favour of more duck jibes.

Yes , but I still think the ducks and the doggie gold lame are a shame.....if I was his daughter I would have NEVER allowed the selling of such items, NEVER!!! I'd rather be homeless , no matter how money I can get from them!
    and I love you so..people ask me how..how I've lived 'till now

T_J, Oh no not a Beethoven duck!

Bad enough his fantastic music was used on TV ads decades ago. Nevertheless it still fills Concert halls around the world today.

We have an EPE Catalogue somewhere in the house, to be fair only about 10% is actually tasteless stuff.

Yes in recent years we have had some extraordinary good Elvis related publicity but sadly some people only see the shadows and not the silver linings.

Meanwhile in Vienna................Beeth........er Elvis is doing very nicely indeed. See
    http://vienna.metblogs.com/archives/...vis_shop.phtml

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T_J View Post
    Yes, but let's get some perspective here and some balance in the argument. Firstly, EPE don't control the music, so their hands are a little tied on that front. Secondly, it's not like all EPE does is produce ducks and novelty items. If that were the case, I would be slamming them as much as anyone else. Are we forgetting the 68 and Aloha box sets, and Elvis by the Presleys? Three very worthwhile and brilliantly executed projects. An edited version of the latter was shown on prime time on one of the biggest tv channels in the UK and I believe was shown in the US too in a similar fashion. Added to that, high profile and positive features were included in the print media and online about the show. Now, the novelty items do nothing for me, but it's only existing fans who are even remotely aware of them. That broadcast may have been on the radar of the audience EPE are targetting, but the Elvis Duck sure as hell wasn't.
    Then let's remember the excellent Elvis Lives show from a few years back, where Elvis was hailed as the greatest entertainer of all time by serious A-list performers, young and old - even modern artists such as Norah Jones and Britney. All in all, a great success.

EPE is not perfect as an organisation by any means, but sometimes people seem to completely ignore the positive moves and focus entirely on the negatives. Let's also remember that the much talked about Elvis Duck was simply part of an existing series of collectables, not a unique EPE idea only involving Elvis. There are ducks for the main players in the NBA and NHL, as well as most of the really significant figures from music, film and even politics, eg James Brown, Kiss, Charlie Chaplin, James Dean and even Maurice's beloved Beethoven. I can't see the appeal of the series, but it's no suprise that Elvis is included alongside other legends.

The latest announcement is that EPE has organised Elvis' own area on Youtube, which is one of the most popular websites among the young now. Another positive move that EPE haters will be inclined to ignore in favour of more duck jibes.
    I will agree with 98% of what you have said...... however there are instances where EPE do not cater to the fans, I realise EPE are limited in what they own but given the right persuasion other projects which the fans scream out for could be undertaken e.g. "Elvis on Tour", "Elvis in Concert" (which they DO own) they may have their reasons some of which I agree. I'm sure that it would benefit them financially!

On the whole EPE cater for a wider fan base and don't aim for a niche market, which kind of makes sense in the world of finance. The question to answer here is who are the people who have disposable income...... Teens and twentysomethings who are without commitment. When I was younger (teens) I would buy all sorts of crap (most of which is still in my Mums loft) as I have got older and had children I have had to make selective purchases and been more decerning and paid the premium.

I don't want to get to bogged down in EPE politics because on the whole they don't derserve all the crap they get, they just can't please everyone

They don't own Elvis on Tour, so we can't really blame them for that. As for Elvis in Concert, that's perhaps the most divisive issue among fans - some enthusiastically supporting a release and others thinking it would be a terrible move. As far as I can tell, Lisa doesn't want it released and why would she?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123