Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on EPE

In Short. EPE = Business.

Elvis = Music.

Youth grow old and taste changes. Later as they look for the BEST in popular music they cannot help but discover Elvis.

It's a self generating cycle.

Our (Classical music loving) grandchildren are already introducing Elvis's music to their bright little friends. "The future looks bright ahead........"

Elvis's voice is the easiest thing in the world to sell, we just need discerning and intelligent salespeople:-)

Part of the reason I think Elvis' music is overlooked is that he's become a character like Mickey Mouse.His musical influence is somewhat undermined by his global fame if that makes any sense.EPE doesnt control the music so it's not really fair to condem them for their actions.They only do what they do to survive.They market what they believe will appeal to a large number of people.Evidently they are doing a good job of giving the people what they want.One quick point though.The whole candy bar thing just makes me sick.Why open the door for stupid jokes and dumb comparison's to Elvis' eating habits.That is a good example of greed instead of respect for our guy.
    Jak

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Part of the reason I think Elvis' music is overlooked is that he's become a character like Mickey Mouse.His musical influence is somewhat undermined by his global fame if that makes any sense.EPE doesnt control the music so it's not really fair to condem them for their actions.They only do what they do to survive.They market what they believe will appeal to a large number of people.Evidently they are doing a good job of giving the people what they want.One quick point though.The whole candy bar thing just makes me sick.Why open the door for stupid jokes and dumb comparison's to Elvis' eating habits.That is a good example of greed instead of respect for our guy.
    Jak
    I agree with you on two points here, the Image is bigger than the music! and yes EPE are thoughtless in the pursuit of the $$

Matt

Jak
    The candy bar is nothing in comparison to the grotesque fibre glass statue of Elvis they sell at a Graceland shop...I saw one here on our main street in Dublin Ireland advertising a Hotel Restaurant. Thankgoodness it was eventually removed before too many tourists photographed it.

A lot of fools poke fun at Ludwig Van Beethoven because of his deafness, cantankerous, arrogant and scruffy ways. But none of it matters when his music hits you like an avalanche!

"Copying Beethoven" will be in cinemas near you soon. He is not spared caricaturisation, but nevertheless the movie is well worth seeing to hear the all enveloping music...just like the often disparaged, "Love Me Tender".

Elvis's first movie had an enormous impact on teenagers not fully appreciated by many of the movie critics then, or since.

[QUOTE=elpfan;91799]I believe that part of the reason is because the image has been cheapened to the point of being more a joke, a caricature, than the image of a real man with real feelings and real talent.

Dear elpfan,
    I really agree with you. Thank you for your opinion. Sincerely yours Kinga

Believe me if I tell you that we here don?t even get the third part of all the crap EPE promotes or know what their business is all about but you can be sure everybody knows who he was and what is his place in music.
    I have been working in a music shop since more than a decade now and I have been selling Elvis?cds like the first day and not only to people from 40
    to 75, must be for something. That people probably won?t never go to Graceland or buy wigs and couldn?t care less for the circus they have created in USA. And not tell me that is the only way to sell because as someone said here Johny Cash film was a great way to promote again the singer, the film Ray too for Ray Charles and got to younger generations that won?t see them like a joke like thay have made with Elvis. Just compare those films with "Elvis and me" or "Elvis" miniseries, if I?m not wrong they even got some oscars....

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Believe me if I tell you that we here don?t even get the third part of all the crap EPE promotes or know what their business is all about but you can be sure everybody knows who he was and what is his place in music.
    I have been working in a music shop since more than a decade now and I have been selling Elvis?cds like the first day and not only to people from 40
    to 75, must be for something. That people probably won?t never go to Graceland or buy wigs and couldn?t care less for the circus they have created in USA. And not tell me that is the only way to sell because as someone said here Johny Cash film was a great way to promote again the singer, the film Ray too for Ray Charles and got to younger generations that won?t see them like a joke like thay have made with Elvis. Just compare those films with "Elvis and me" or "Elvis" miniseries, if I?m not wrong they even got some oscars....
    The thing about Elvis' image is that he is just a joke to many people.Guys like Cash and Ray Charles dont have this problem.They are not known for eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches or shooting out tv's.They get nothing but respect for their talent because they are only known as serious artists.Elvis made some great music in the 70's and performed some amazing concerts.Does anybody outside the fans know this?No he was a fat slob stuck in Vegas with a gun in his boot wacked out in drugs.Im tired of him being a punchline to bad jokes, but so much damage to his reputation has been done it's tough to overcome if you dont bother to seek out the truth.The crappy souvenirs and truly bad impersonator's are not helping either.Elvis doesnt get the respect he deserves here in his own country and that's the truth.
    Jak

The thing about Elvis' image is that he is just a joke to many people.Guys like Cash and Ray Charles dont have this problem.They are not known for eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches or shooting out tv's.They get nothing but respect for their talent because they are only known as serious artists.Elvis made some great music in the 70's and performed some amazing concerts.Does anybody outside the fans know this?No he was a fat slob stuck in Vegas with a gun in his boot wacked out in drugs.Im tired of him being a punchline to bad jokes, but so much damage to his reputation has been done it's tough to overcome if you dont bother to seek out the truth.The crappy souvenirs and truly bad impersonator's are not helping either.Elvis doesnt get the respect he deserves here in his own country and that's the truth.
    Jak
    Now I can hear you Jak. So who is in charge or responsible of keeping Elvis image?
    I think is EPE and they sure don?t do their work right and don?t help to destroy the joke image. If they are so experienced marketing people they should know how to do it. But maybe it was meant to be, after all you know who started managing EPE after Elvis died ... and that person the only thing that has made is promoting herself and helping to show only his flaws.
    Cash and Ray were addicted to drugs too (different kinds) but they are known for his music because their promotion is made with respect.
    If you want to be respected you have to show you deserve being respected and that is just what the people at EPE are denying to Elvis since the beggining and now.

I agree that Elvis doesn't get the respect he deserves because of all the tacky merchandise, bad impersonators extra - I don't think any of us has any doubt in that respect.

But I do tend to disagree that the majority of the trashy stuff is purchased mostly by women in the 45 to 70 age group as most of us are not the "little old grey-haired lady" types that was so common in our parents' time and that the mentality that went with it is not so prevalent in this day and age.

I think possibly that a lot of the thrash is also bought by parents for their kids who view them as toys and also by teenagers and twenty year olds who think these items are cool or funky.

Nevertheless, whomever buys these things are not doing our man a favor that's for sure.........

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Now I can hear you Jak. So who is in charge or responsible of keeping Elvis image?
    I think is EPE and they sure don?t do their work right and don?t help to destroy the joke image. If they are so experienced marketing people they should know how to do it. But maybe it was meant to be, after all you know who started managing EPE after Elvis died ... and that person the only thing that has made is promoting herself and helping to show only his flaws.
    Cash and Ray were addicted to drugs too (different kinds) but they are known for his music because their promotion is made with respect.
    If you want to be respected you have to show you deserve being respected and that is just what the people at EPE are denying to Elvis since the beggining and now.
    Donut
    Dont forget that EPE didnt crack down on unlicensed products much later after Elvis died.Much of the damage had already been done.They of course are not helping out like they should.They sell lots of crap but the crap was a lot worse 20 years ago.Elvis' sweat etc.The shops across from Graceland were horrendous back then.I remember them well.Once again they only produce what people buy.Blaming EPE is easy but what about the fans who buy it?Elvis has a long history of being a merchandising monster right back into the 50's.It's good money and always has been.Another factor is that EPE has nothing to do with his music.People like Ernst and others have tried to release good music packages that showcase his artistry while EPE goes for the candy bar money at the same time.They are not working together beacuse they are two different entities.Look at Hendrix,Doors or the Beatles.Nothing but respect because the general public has never latched onto stereotypes.Elvis on the other hand is a magnet for them.From the jumpsuits,cheeseburgers,his speech and even his death is made fun of.Have you ever seen Eminem's video where he shows Elvis on the toilet eating a huge sandwich?That's what the young people get to see.To be blunt that really pisses me off.I think his image has bounced back somewhat in recent years but I believe the passage of time is just going to keep pushing him farther in the background for most people.
    Jak

I don't think anyone can speak for all the people when it comes to Elvis. People are not THAT stupid to equate Elvis's music with the crap EPE Licence.

Many times over the years other great artists have spoken about the impact Elvis's magnificent voice had on them, and Tens of millions were listening!!! If Paul McCarney says Elvis was THE man, do you think people think of Candy bars?

I think Elvis is respected far more than many here think. Often young reporters are in awe when we are talking about him because they know Elvis's real stature in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    I don't think anyone can speak for all the people when it comes to Elvis. People are not THAT stupid to equate Elvis's music with the crap EPE Licence.

Many times over the years other great artists have spoken about the impact Elvis's magnificent voice had on them, and Tens of millions were listening!!! If Paul McCarney says Elvis was THE man, do you think people think of Candy bars?

I think Elvis is respected far more than many here think. Often young reporters are in awe when we are talking about him because they know Elvis's real stature in the world.
    Most great artists believe the "he died when he got drafted" theory.The candy bars and other stuff just sticks in people's minds.Maurice I find your optimism refreshing.However nobody here is gonna tell me Elvis is cool or hip or popular with the majority of young people today.That is a joke.How about the rest of you?What do you think?You know many young fans under 20?I sure dont.
    Jak

jak, OK we are supermen, WE know all Elvis's shortcomings and still love his music.

Why would young people be any different? I know quite a few young Elvis fans, how THEY survived the mockery of their peers is a miracle

I don't need support.

Most great artists believe the "he died when he got drafted" theory.The candy bars and other stuff just sticks in people's minds.Maurice I find your optimism refreshing.However nobody here is gonna tell me Elvis is cool or hip or popular with the majority of young people today.That is a joke.How about the rest of you?What do you think?You know many young fans under 20?I sure dont.
    Jak

True, there aren't a vast number of fans under 20, but teenagers for the most part like to follow what is popular. However, the very point you make was being made 20 years ago. The fan mags were discussing ways of getting young people on board, as there was concern that Elvis didn't seem to have a teen following. Here's where Maurice's point about people eventually finding good music comes in. Maybe Elvis didn't have a huge number of teen fans in the 80s, but he sure has a lot of 30-something fans now right?? EPE tells us that half the people through the Graceland doors every year are 30 or under. So somewhere along the way, a lot of these people grew to respect Elvis as their musical tastes broadened and they became less worried about peer pressure.

Mad Tigers
    EPE won`t get any respect from me I`m afraid.
    They have tried to shut down anyone else selling Elvis merchandise branding it tacky yet they have sold exactly the same things.
    The truth is that they don`t like anyone else making money if it isn`t them.

Quote Originally Posted by T_J View Post
    True, there aren't a vast number of fans under 20, but teenagers for the most part like to follow what is popular. However, the very point you make was being made 20 years ago. The fan mags were discussing ways of getting young people on board, as there was concern that Elvis didn't seem to have a teen following. Here's where Maurice's point about people eventually finding good music comes in. Maybe Elvis didn't have a huge number of teen fans in the 80s, but he sure has a lot of 30-something fans now right?? EPE tells us that half the people through the Graceland doors every year are 30 or under. So somewhere along the way, a lot of these people grew to respect Elvis as their musical tastes broadened and they became less worried about peer pressure.
    I guess T_J, Has hit the nail on the head. That has been my experience too.
    You will have to ask yourself why YOU are here being youngsters when most of you became Elvis fans.

Flogging EPE is like flogging a dead horse, but go ahead if it makes you feel any better.

I'll continue to be optimistic about Elvis's music always reaching REAL music lovers.

Our own 46 year old son wasn't exactly an Elvis fanatic in his teens when he was buying a lot of Albums of various artists. But he has quite an Elvis collection now...which he bought himslf And what does he buy his kids? Why Beethoven and Elvis of course

All you hear from EPE is "Trying to reach the younger generation" Well, to me Elvis was doing this without all the Elvis ducks, doggie gold suits, and high priced foam flip flops. It's was his music and charisma that was alluring them in the first place.

I as for one, was born four years after his death and I still became a huge fan before EPE was pushing these pricy gemmicks.

All I'm trying to say is, they should just let the man's music do the talking.

All the Elvis dolls and stuff were around in the 50s

We teenagers interested in his music back then just ignored them.

But I guess once you are fixated on the artifacts tasteless and good it's difficult to let go.

Coincidently as I was typing "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis came on the TV behind me.

I heard a verse, then turned to see the Elvis Robot on BBC1 News for the 4th time!

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I was In the music store HMV in the UK and there are dozens of DVD's CD's Calenders* , my point being if they have such a wide selection of all this stuff there must be a market out there for people to warrant the space they are giving!

The teens of today are the thoughtful buyers of tomorrow.

*(The calendars picture quality this year is very poor)

Matt

I agree the Calender's photos were not the best.

But they were all sold in HMV here.......... and our newsagents

There are some great photos printed on canvas for sale in shop windows on our main street. They had a large stock and there's only a couple left...same with the Elvis CDs and books.

I keep repeating it, but Elvis's music is quite safe. The cream rises to the top. Decade after decade.

"Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast