Thread: This Is The Story

This Is The Story

This might go along the lines of the "Who Are We" thread, but what I'd like to do here is have people put posts about when/how they became Elvis fans. For me, this is the story:

I was 5 years old in 1975, and my favorite group was The Monkees. My mother and I were in the car, and my all-time favorite song by them, "Pleasant Valley Sunday", was playing on the radio. The DJ followed it up with "Heartbreak Hotel".....and I was hooked! The way Elvis sounded, the song, everything was so incredible. After the DJ played it he said it was by Elvis Presley. Now, naturally, I'd never heard of Elvis. So, I asked my mother who he was. (Moms know everything right?) And she told me. I became a fan from the start, collecting books, records, everything. I even started a band because of Elvis. Elvis became part of me, and I'm thankful for that. That's my story.

Who going to tell theirs next?

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Cool topic David ...at first i thought it was about the song "This Is The Story" ...

For me, it was November or December of 2001...i was looking for a movie to watch at my Grandmother's house and i came along That's The Way It Is Special Edition...so I watched that video, and was amazed all the way through...The energy Elvis put into the live shows just amazed me...like how he would end a song with a Karate kick or a punch. That pretty much did it for me, that movie.

I am so glad i found Elvis, i'd be lost if i hadn't
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

i remember listening to Elvis at three. I don't knwo when i becaem a fan, i guess for as long as i can remember i loved Elvis.

My mum delights in telling this little ditty.

When i was in kindergartan and when the teacher asked me what i wanted to be when i grew up i said a singer like Elvis. She told me singers weren't shy like me and that i needed to be able to get up and sing in front of people, so i stood up in the middle of the circle we were sitting in and sang Return to Sender all the way through, did a little bow and said my thank you's and sat back down and crawled back into my shy little self.

This is my story: it was 1992 and I was 14 years old.
    I had the flu so I was at home from school; I was watching TV that morning when I found the film "This Is Elvis".
    I didn't know a lot about this man called Elvis...the name was really popular at my ears but I didn't know anaything about him.

I started to watch it for pure curiosity (also because I've always liked documentaries about famous people) and I suddenly felt in love. LOVE AT FIRST TIME!!! I liked his marvellous voice and the big variety of music he could sing , his style, his energy and charisma.
    I started to buy few musicassettes to listen his music and to watch his movies on TV.
    Through the years this passion has grown up day by day and I know it will never end.

And this is how my story with him began.
    Last edited by ForeverTheKing; 12-18-2006 at 04:18 AM.

TCB Mafia
    This is Elvis was the best introduction you could have Ale.

I became a fan when I was about 5 years old, which was 1992, my dad put a car tape on and I think the first ever Elvis song I heard was Wooden Heart, but after that I became a huge fan.
    I got every album after that, but I was especially a fan of the 60s and 70s. I have no idea why.
    these last few years i've changed, I discovered The Beatles when I was 16 and Bob Dylan when I was 18 - since discovering these other great artists i've came to appreciate the 50s period which is now my favourite Elvis years
    [email protected]
    feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    This is Elvis was the best introduction you could have Ale.
    Yes Riley, I agree ...a way to know something about his life and watch some of his best performances from every period

Will, My Story Is, I was In My Teens, I turn 16, month before , I got up get ready for school , I eating and I Seizure my true full one after I come out it I was In Hospisal, I think that my world came to end, It did for few years, I had High hopes things after High School. that falling summer I was do down out, I went to my Aunt for few Weeks, She one is biggest Elvis Fan I know Side me, LOL that Time I don't know Elvis was that time I is 1977 , She play
    Elvis In Person went I hear In The Ghetto, That I was Hooked On Elvis since
    He came part of me 29 years. I didn't starting get LP's after his death 1978
    A Legendary Performer, Volume Three Was My First one LP, It Was the Picture Version, Elvis got be out my room That year and saved my life. I did do few My Goals I want To It took Me longer To Do them, I'm Edtion I can Do things
    With Epilepsy hard somethings with double problems It more harder get A good Job.
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Mad Tigers
    well it started for me almost 6 years ago, im 18 now, when i went to canada and i was bored to DEATH and i went through my brothers cds and he had is metallica and rock cds and he had a random elvis cd, it was the live at the international hotel cd, i listened to it and was blown away, really, i went home and bought This is Elvis, watched that fell in love and i have been such a HUGE Elvis Fan ever since. now i have movies dvds books cds posters a gazillion memorablilia stuff, its great it really is. thank God for Elvis, and thank God he is in my life.

Seems like 5 is the magic number cuz that's when I became a fan! All I remember is watching him on the tv. There was something so alluring about him. The movie that I believe that I was watching was "Loving You". After that me being his fan was surpressed for a few years. Then I went to Graceland and it seem to waken things back up. Now I'm a full blown fan! 100%!

International Level
    For me I was very young 2 or 3 years old. I had really bad case of Chicken Pocks. You name it I had it there even inside my mouth. I was crying and crying. They tried everytime of movie there was. So finally my grandmother goes to movie rental (now remind you this is 1984. So all good movies where rented) so she goes over to the musical video section and finds "Aloha from Hawaii" she said what the heck will try it.

So she gets home she pops it in fast forwards to a different song thatn See See Rider because she was afraid the drum roll set it off again.

Well she stop right as he says "My Way." She said soon as he say "And Now, The End is Near..." I stopped crying so she stopped the movie and I cried so she started it again and I stopped. So she rewind the movie to the begin'.

Thats how I became a Elvis fan and I always well be. Thats why I became a Elvis Tribute Artist. He's helped me in good and bad times in my life with his music. I will love this man like he's my brother, father and etc.

LOVE YOU ELVIS!

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley "A Tribute To Elvis Show"
    http://www.geocities.com/dudcowboy_1/

Mad Tigers
    As far back as I remember, I think my first memory was of Elvis. I remember my mom use to have a couple of 45's that her and my sister would play sometimes. One side of one had the song "A Cane And A High Starch Collar". It didn't really effect me during those days. Then in early '81 I think it was HBO aired "This Is Elvis" for the very first time! I was only 5 or 6 at the time. I watched almost the whole thing and every time that movie was repeated I was glued to it. That started it for me! I never could really collect anything until I got a job back in '92. Then I went crazy! I haven't stopped since then and I highly doubt that I will ever. Once you've been bit by the bug you're never the same........

This Is The Story

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    As far back as I remember, I think my first memory was of Elvis. I remember my mom use to have a couple of 45's that her and my sister would play sometimes. One side of one had the song "A Cane And A High Starch Collar". It didn't really effect me during those days. Then in early '81 I think it was HBO aired "This Is Elvis" for the very first time! I was only 5 or 6 at the time. I watched almost the whole thing and every time that movie was repeated I was glued to it. That started it for me! I never could really collect anything until I got a job back in '92. Then I went crazy! I haven't stopped since then and I highly doubt that I will ever. Once you've been bit by the bug you're never the same........
    Should that not be, "once you been bitten by the Elvis bug you are never the same?".....LOL.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    GREAT STORIES EVERYONE !!!

Great to hear about how fellow fans actually became fans ! Your right, once an Elvis fan, ALWAYS an Elvis fan.

TCB!
    Brad
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977