Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Is Elvis

I guess all of you guys have heard by now that TIE is being released on DVD. I consider this great news on 2 counts.

1. I am just glad to have this on legitimate DVD
    2. It would be just as easy to release EOT in this format but it hasn't happened which tells me there is a little more in store for this release than just your typical quarterly release of Elvis DVDs.

Lets Hope & Pray!
    Tony

Lets Hope & Pray!
    Tony
    I've been doing that for a long time LOL.

With a bit of luck with This Is Elvis and The "68 TV special and Aloha, coming out, things are starting to change. I hope so!!!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I agree on being happy on those two points

But I also hope that that documentary has been reworked. I mean, that one was shot in (I believe) 1981? Much more unique footage and information has been found since then. It would be great if "This Is Elvis" would feature some of this.

Next stop: Elvis On Tour

About On Tour: I wouldnt mind if they release every recorded show as a DVD and also the On Tour special as one. Milk that cow baby (First time I will be happy that BMG/Warner would be doing so )
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

I agree on being happy on those two points    

But I also hope that that documentary has been reworked. I mean, that one was shot in (I believe) 1981? Much more unique footage and information has been found since then. It would be great if "This Is Elvis" would feature some of this.

Next stop: Elvis On Tour  

About On Tour: I wouldnt mind if they release every recorded show as a DVD and also the On Tour special as one. Milk that cow baby (First time I will be happy that BMG/Warner would be doing so  )
    I think this will not happen, to rework This Is Elvis. It is not the kind of movie for the general public.

O well..... still happy though that it will be released on DVD

It still is one of my alltime favourite Elvis documentaries. I even kinda like the "Elvis speaks out of Heaven" voice over

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

With the DVD features that are possible they should have a jukebox section where you can watch the songs without the voice over.

8)

TCB Mafia
    It will be great just to have it on DVD. But i still hope it will be an extended version. They cut a fair bit out of the original.

I agree sam, being able to play the tracks without the voice overs would be an added bonus indeed.

Maybe a cd version will be made available - that maybe asking too much though.

As for it not being a movie for the general public i disagree. I know a few people who have watched this is elvis and enjoyed it - without actually being fans at the time. In one case in particular - it helped as he is now a fan and is buying whatever he can get his hands on.
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

O well..... still happy though that it will be released on DVD    

It still is one of my alltime favourite Elvis documentaries. I even kinda like the "Elvis speaks out of Heaven" voice over  
    Im happy too. It took a long time. With the new versions of 68 Comeback and Aloha and now This is Elvis, we still miss two essential dvd releases: On Tour & CBS TV Special. And for those who are against a possible release from a CBS dvd, if you can't see Elvis in that shape(wich i think is sometimes exaggerated), dont buy it.

I have 2 versions of Unchained Melody (recorded for the CBS Special), so there must be more angles available from what have been filmed by the CBS Crew. So when you take the best angles, cut some weird dialogues from Elvis out of it and forget about the small pieces of fans talking, you can make a fantastic CBS Special.

This special can be made into something really great.

TCB Mafia
    The CBS Special is another that i want on DVD.
    I have a couple of versions on VCD, but in as good a quality as i would like
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

I just don't like the guy they had playing 50's/60's Elvis. His hair was all wrong and he looked and sounded nothing like E. What's up with them having E singing Mystery Train to his class? I somehow doubt that actually took place lol.

It's still a great movie though.

Oh yeah, that guy that little E and his friend went to see play the blues is great. Gotta love those guitar skills lol.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quick question...

How "extended" is the "extended version" of THIS IS ELVIS??

I have the original video from Warner Bros. from the 80's, and that video alone is around 2 1/2 hours long. Is there an even longer version available, or is that the one that they mean by "extended version"?

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Roustabouts
    I can't wait to get my hands on this! I've recorded it off the tv a few times, but with dvd you get better quality and you can scan out the crap...ie the bits wher they have shoddy actors, eh Wildstyle?

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I'm very excited about this one too. It should be great! Extras would certainly be a plus, but even if we don't get any, just having the original movie in great picture and sound will be fantastic.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

The 2 1/2 hour version is probaly the extented version. However, those video releases differ from the theatrical release in 81.

Are You Lonesome Tonight (perhaps not one of his most flattering moments) was cut and replaced by a mediocre version of Love Me.

Some dialogues that were considered XXX material were overdubbed as I recall... I'm thinking about the "The girl I was with last night" dialogue.

It would be nice to get the extended version, but without those overdubs and with Lonesome Tonight, how bad it may seem to some people.

O yeah, this comes to mind while I'm typing: why include footage of an actor inside the hospital where Gladys past away? Just show Elvis goin' inside and cut it...

Sonny

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Right on, Sonny.

The theatrical version should definitely be what we get. I've seen that theatrical version aired on TV and not the video release, but I found that out too late. :x So I've seen those great unedited moments, but only once, and obviously don't own a copy.

Personally I find the flubbed version of Are You Lonesome Tonight to make for better viewing than that Omaha performance of Love Me.

I like your other suggestion about the portrayal of Gladys's passing as well.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Seeing "This Is Elvis" in the cinemas back in ?81 (I think I went about ten times!) is one of my strongest Elvis memories. Of course, I was only 12 then, and didn?t have any videos and had only seen "Fun In Acapulco", "Blue Hawaii" and "Elvis In Concert" on TV... So I?m looking forward to the DVD release.

I really hope the DVD won?t include that awful version of "Love Me" from Omaha! Can?t understand why they ever chose a clip from Omaha to replace "Lonesome" with... When there are a number of good songs available from Rapid City. "Trying To Get To You" would have been fantastic. It?s kind of ironic; in the movie Joe Esposito is talking about how fantastic Elvis?s voice still was at the end... Elvis comes out... and sings one of the worst ever versions of "Love Me"!

I really hope the DVD won?t include that awful version of "Love Me" from Omaha! Can?t understand why they ever chose a clip from Omaha to replace "Lonesome" with... When there are a number of good songs available from Rapid City. "Trying To Get To You" would have been fantastic. It?s kind of ironic; in the movie Joe Esposito is talking about how fantastic Elvis?s voice still was at the end... Elvis comes out... and sings one of the worst ever versions of "Love Me"!
    You're right, that part didn't make sense at all

Recently I watched the DVD version of He Touched Me, and there was a track on it from "The CBS Special". Man, the quality was amazing. Seeing that left me wanting more, MORE of the CBS special in DVD quality.

It really pisses me of (pardon my French) when I see music DVD's from local bands, unknown artists and golden-days artists (like Roy Orbison), but can find any decent DVD from Elvis (besides TTWII). How come those artists and bands can release great musicvideos (at good prices), while The King has only a few?

I always found Elvis' dialogue in "Are You Lonesesome Tonight" to be quite humerous. I have only ever seen the shortened TV version and the video version. I wasn't aware there was also a cinema version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast