Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Is Elvis

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Thanks Sonny for the info.!!

I've seen both versions, with ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT and the XXX dialogue (the cable TV channel Cinemax aired that version a few times years ago), and then of course I have the video version with the overdubbed dialogue and LOVE ME.

Perhaps the DVD will have even more footage on it?? Could we hope....??

Regardless of whether it has new footage or not, I will be definitely purchasing this one! I love the movie, and I think it was extremely well done! I just hate having to fast forward through my video to find a particular clip or something that I want to see!

SO BRING ON THE DVD!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I suspect that the extended release will be that 2 and a half hour version which was pretty great.

I find the comment that "This is Elvis" is not for the general public interesting as I have always taken it as Elvis for beginners. By the way if you can get one of Roger Ebert's old film guides, you can read the 3 1/2 star (of four) review he gives the movie.

My problem with the movie is that the narration is often clumsily handled and that nearly all of the dramatic recreations, save perhaps Elvis in Tupelo are dubious. But, they help retain the dramatic arc of the film better than stills. I'm also not crazy about the overdubs on some recordings. To me these are completely unnecessary.

Still though for a clip fest it's about as lively as you can get. Despite its flaws, it engages you in a way that "The Great Performances" never really does. It gives you almost a real movie feeling in its best moments and really gives you a sense of who Elvis was and why he was important. And the commentary, although strained, combined with the clips does give the perspective of going through it all with Elvis. I think Elvis would have loved the "Too Much Monkey Business" movie montage. It's hilarious.

The movie's ending is unbearably sad. I also like the way the producers capture Elvis' final triumph at the end with the clip of maybe the best ever performance of "American Trilogy". Elvis hits that note at the end, the crowd goes wild and he gives that little smile showing genuine pleasure and amazement. It really shows the beauty of Elvis the performer and how much of that comes from the man himself and his fans.

I look forward to the DVD. Hope it's released in the US.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Right on--on every point!
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

At the time it was great to see all of those never before seen clips! It was like Christmas and Birthdays all at once!

I just hate the narration of the film. Can't stand the guy's voice pretending to be Elvis. The bit when he says: "If only I could have seen what was happening to me, maybe I could have done something about it" is extremely annoying.

I spend half of my time skipping the reconstruction and muting the sound, only to up the sound for the real Elvis parts. So the DVD would be very welcome, if only to save my worn out tape!

I agree, there could have been tons more stuff they could have used from 1977. I've no idea why they used 'Love Me', as the mic has just about given up and Elvis appears to be struggling, especially when he reaches for the soft toy. He seems in pain, or something. Not a good performance.

Whereas you have really good performances from Rapid City, which were left on the shelf.
    Too much monkey business for me to be involved in

I suspect that the extended release will be that 2 and a half hour version which was pretty great.  

I find the comment that "This is Elvis" is not for the general public interesting as I have always taken it as Elvis for beginners. By the way if you can get one of Roger Ebert's old film guides, you can read the 3 1/2 star (of four) review he gives the movie.  

My problem with the movie is that the narration is often clumsily handled and that nearly all of the dramatic recreations, save perhaps Elvis in Tupelo are dubious. But, they help retain the dramatic arc of the film better than stills. I'm also not crazy about the overdubs on some recordings. To me these are completely unnecessary.  

Still though for a clip fest it's about as lively as you can get. Despite its flaws, it engages you in a way that "The Great Performances" never really does. It gives you almost a real movie feeling in its best moments and really gives you a sense of who Elvis was and why he was important. And the commentary, although strained, combined with the clips does give the perspective of going through it all with Elvis. I think Elvis would have loved the "Too Much Monkey Business" movie montage. It's hilarious.  

The movie's ending is unbearably sad. I also like the way the producers capture Elvis' final triumph at the end with the clip of maybe the best ever performance of "American Trilogy". Elvis hits that note at the end, the crowd goes wild and he gives that little smile showing genuine pleasure and amazement. It really shows the beauty of Elvis the performer and how much of that comes from the man himself and his fans.  

I look forward to the DVD. Hope it's released in the US.

Good overview likethebike !

This Is Elvis isn't without it's flaws, but for all that it still works pretty well.

It is still the source of material which some 20 + years later is unavailable elsewhere (particularly the extended version).

Some of the 77 footage choices are, as has been mentioned, questionable to say the least in view of the footage they could have pooled from.

Somewhat disapointing (as with Elvis releases generally ) is you need both versions (TV and extended) to have everything that was included. (although I do have both versions)

As a whole though it flows nicely, is a good overview for anyone just discovering Elvis and, for the hardcore fan, is still indispensable due to the unique clips it contains (New Gladiators footage, alternate Aloha angles, candid film etc).

Something for everybody !

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Backstage Pass
    Here's an easy release for `extras' make it the cinema and TV versions
    rick
    rick

Cadillac King
    I MAY be able to arrange a few copies of the VCD "This is Elvis" from India which has the xxx dialogue and the "Are you lonesome tonite" clip, this is the extended version of the movie.The sound quality aint that great -but the price is right: Cost about USA $6 plus postageshould be around $3) I am not sure.Check out the elvisnews.com site for the Picture of the cover etc.

Please note that I am NOT in India and will have to ask a friend if he can do this for us. Elvis VCDs normally do not get a second pressing -and most of the "English movies"

PM me if you are interested.

jb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12