This is from the book: Elvis,from A to Z. I thought it would be a nice bit of info for some new fans.
Althought Elvis won only four Grammy Awards, he was nominated several other times:
1. RECORD OF THE YEAR: "A Fool Such as I". (Lost to Bobby Darin?s "Mack the Knife")
2. BEST RYTHM & BLUES PERFORMANCE: "A Big Hunk of Love". (Lost to Dinah Washington?s "What a Difference a Days Make")
3. BEST PERFORMANCE BY A TOP 40 ARTIST: "A Big Hunk of Love". (Lost to "Midnight Flyer" by Nat King Cole)
4. BEST ALBUM COVER: For LP Fans Only. (Lost to Shostakovich: Symphony No.5) -wasn?t the Golden Records Vol 2 a better choice to run for a grammy?-
1. RECORD OF THE YEAR: "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" (Lost to Percy Faith?s "Theme for a Summer Place") -give me a break how could that happened?-
2. BEST MALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE. "Are You Lonesome Tonight" (Lost to "Georgia on My Mind" by Ray Charles)
3. BEST PERFORMANCE BY A POP SINGLES ARTIST: "Are You Lonesome Tonight" (Lost to "Georgia on My Mind" by Ray Charles)
4. BEST MALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE "ALBUM": "G.I. Blues" (Lost to "The Genious of Ray Charles")
5. BEST SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: "G.I. Blues" (Lost to "Can-Can")
1. BEST SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: "Blue Hawaii" (Lost to "West Side Story")
1. BEST SACRED PERFORMANCE: "How Great Thou Art" WON
2. BEST ENGINEERED ALBUM: "How Great Thou Art" this was for Jim Malloy not for Elvis. (Lost to Geoff Emerick on the recording of The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper?s Lonely Hearts Club Band")
1. BEST SACRED PERFORMANCE: "You?ll Never Walk Alone". (Lost to Jake Hess?s "Beautyful Isle of Nowwhere")
1. BEST INSPIRATIONAL PERFORMANCE: "He Touched Me". WON
1. BEST INSPIRATIONAL PERFORMANCE: "How Great Thou Art". WON
1. BEST COUNTRY MALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE: "Softly as I Leave You" (Lost to Willy Nelson?s "Georgia on My Mind")
1. BEST ALBUM NOTES: "Elvis Aron Presley" Lorene Lortic was nominated. (Lost to Frank Sinatra?s "Past, Present and Future")
1. BEST ALBUM NOTES: "Elvis The King of Rock and Roll: The Complete 50's Masters" Peter Guralnick was nominated. (Lost to Dave Marsh on his notes for Aretha Franklin?s "Queen of Soul: The Atlantic Recordings")
Plus: his 1971 Live Time Achievement Grammy winner.
Now the question is, would RCA/BMG ever be smart enought to release something with more brains than another "Greatest?s Hits" compilation and may get Elvis one more Grammy to be displayed at Graceland.
There?s still maybe a chance.
P.S. If I miss anynomination please post it on.
Some other awards!
Well this small post comes from the wikipedia, not always the best source for any serious research, but here I found some other in life and posthumuos awards Elvis Presley did recieved that are not very well known, maybe someone may confirm those and give us some deeper info about it.
"In 1971, Presley was named 'One of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation' by the U.S. Junior Chamber of Commerce (The Jaycees). That summer, the City of Memphis changed the name of the section of Highway 51 South in front of "Graceland" to Elvis Presley Boulevard.
He is the only performer to have been inducted into four music 'Halls of Fame': the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1986), the Rockabilly Hall of Fame (1997), the Country Music Hall of Fame (1998), and the Gospel Music Hall of Fame (2001). In 1984, he received the W. C. Handy Award from the Blues Foundation and the Academy of Country Music?s first Golden Hat Award. In 1987, he received the American Music Awards? first posthumous presentation of the Award of Merit".
Didn?t know about the W.C. Handy Award from the Blues Foundation, now that speaks a lot! to the guys at BMG, any tought for a Blues Elvis compilation? no, of course not. Well at least an upgrade extended version of the Classic LP Reconsider Baby would do dam it!
A wealth of truthful info on the music...thank you! (y)
Wow, I never knew all of this! Only entertainer to be nominated into 4 Hall of Fames! I am bursting with pride for him!