Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elvis presley suspicious mind

elvis presley suspicious mind

Hi does anybody know why the song suspicious mind fades out half way through and come back. I have always wanted to know why it does that. Does anybody know why.

this, only happens on the studio version, never in live. I think it's made on purpose no ? Just to product a special effect

I have read that Elvis had actually begun to do it live before the single came out. (it was released August 26th 1969) Jarvis noticed early in Elvis first live shows how he would slow down the songs tempo and then bring it back full blast. So he suggested they do the same with the singles mix.

Cadillac King
    i heard somewhere that elvis wanted the fade out then back in to create the effect of a relationship between two people fading on and off.

I didn't think Elvis liked it because when it came on the radio he went mad because of it, the colnel sent it off to get it all re-done..how Elvis didn't want it. I am not sure whether i am correct ?

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Hi does anybody know why the song suspicious mind fades out half way through and come back. I have always wanted to know why it does that. Does anybody know why.
    Why yes, I do know why.

TCB Mafia
    Funny, 4 replies and 4 different answers.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Funny, 4 replies and 4 different answers.
    Hmmm interesting

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have read that Elvis had actually begun to do it live before the single came out. (it was released August 26th 1969) Jarvis noticed early in Elvis first live shows how he would slow down the songs tempo and then bring it back full blast. So he suggested they do the same with the singles mix.
    This is the version of the story that I know, it was 100% Jarvis idea.

Going back a little bit, March '69, after the horns and string overdubbs of all the bunch of great stuff Elvis did on Jan and Feb at the American Sound Studios, Elvis was not completely satisfied with the master take of Suspicious Minds, he knew this was going to bit a smash hit, but he felt something was still missining. When he reworked the song to be played live, that?s durning the July '69 rehearsals, a new arrangment of the song came up, that?s the slow down, up tempo back, slow down, up tempo back, the one we all know from his live apearences, also the classic Suspicious Minds horn arrangment came up then I believe. So Elvis knew now he had finded what the track needed, the new horn arrangment was added in a studio in Vegas over the original Memphis track, and as there was no chance to recut the track, Felton Jarvis came up with the idea of the Fade out Fade in idea to recreate the dramatic efect that Elvis live version had with the slow down-bring it back arrangment.

Don?t know if Elvis was satisfied or not with the fade out thing, but hey, it went No. 1

I personaly think it sounds great.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    The other thing they did with that track is they "looped" it at some point (maybe more than once?), replaying choruses that had already been sung make the song longer.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Raised on Rock, thats pretty much the story I've heard

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    This is the version of the story that I know, it was 100% Jarvis idea.

Going back a little bit, March '69, after the horns and string overdubbs of all the bunch of great stuff Elvis did on Jan and Feb at the American Sound Studios, Elvis was not completely satisfied with the master take of Suspicious Minds, he knew this was going to bit a smash hit, but he felt something was still missing. When he reworked the song to be played live, that?s during the July '69 rehearsals, a new arrangement of the song came up, that?s the slow down, up tempo back, slow down, up tempo back, the one we all know from his live appearances, also the classic Suspicious Minds horn arrangment came up then I believe. So Elvis knew now he had found what the track needed, the new horn arrangement was added in a studio in Vegas over the original Memphis track, and as there was no chance to recut the track, Felton Jarvis came up with the idea of the Fade out Fade in idea to recreate the dramatic effect that Elvis live version had with the slow down-bring it back arrangment.

Don?t know if Elvis was satisfied or not with the fade out thing, but hey, it went No. 1

I personally think it sounds great.

You're correct...although the phony "fade and bump" ending almost killed the record at radio because the DJ's would complain that they couldn't cut the song off themselves.....it was a good idea for "onstage" use but it didn't work well for radio...personally I wish they wouldn't have done it that way.

At KXOK radio in St. Louis they had fun with the way the it ended. Always complaining (but not seriously) about not knowing when to start the commercials because you never knew when it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    The other thing they did with that track is they "looped" it at some point (maybe more than once?), replaying choruses that had already been sung make the song longer.
    Yeah that its true, the first fade out was the original end of the song, the fade in was the same last part of the track again.

It's ok With fade out, past few years we had alternates without the fade, we got used to it without it. it's doesn't matter it have a fade, it's one greatest songs all times
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    You're correct...although the phony "fade and bump" ending almost killed the record at radio because the DJ's would complain that they couldn't cut the song off themselves.....it was a good idea for "onstage" use but it didn't work well for radio...personally I wish they wouldn't have done it that way.
    Yes, some DJ?s got confused didn?t wanted to play it, yet those kind of tricks on single records and albums were not uncommon during that year, and when some other DJ?s took the chance of playing it many younger people find the fade out, fade in appealing. Changing times I guess.

Having lived through that era I can say there were many tricks tried which helped sell records back then. Experimenting with sound and recording was really the in thing.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Having lived through that era I can say there were many tricks tried which helped sell records back then. Experimenting with sound and recording was really the in thing.
    Yes you?re right, that?s what I meant. There?s alot of records from that period with weird experomentation similar to what Jarvis did in Suspicious Minds. It was the trend back then.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 08-25-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post
    I didn't think Elvis liked it because when it came on the radio he went mad because of it, the colnel sent it off to get it all re-done..how Elvis didn't want it. I am not sure whether i am correct ?
    Parker had anything to do with this as far as I know, it was Felton Jarvis all the way to either blame or congratulate.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Personally I love the undubbed versions of SM, you can hear Elvis' voice up front. It sounds much better than the original!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast