Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Ftd "Unchained Melody"...

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

The new Ftd "Unchained Melody"...

Finally got my copy today. First I want to thank Ernest and everyone else at FTD involved for bringing us these great cds !!

The sound on the 2-20-77 concert is really good..the concert is pretty good. Elvis seemed short of breath on a few songs..one that sticks out is Fairytale...but still he puts on a n alright show...imo, this show is better than the 21st. Elvis imo just seemed plain bored that night. It is great to have this show on soundboard !!

Highlights for me were How Great Thou Art, Trying To Get To You, Reconsider Baby. Fairytale...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Thank you for the info

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

You're welcome Tommy. Anyone else got this cd yet, what are your thoughts on it?
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Think it's a good one, maybe a little short,...
    Ok, it's a 77 concert, It's not E at his best, but i think it's good to have this one in your collection...
    Sound is very good...
    the highlights for me are, Hurt and How great thou Art...
    Old Times they are not forgotten
    Johan

If you notice, he struggles some with his voice on some songs. Like How Great Thou Art, seems to have a hard time reaching the high notes during some songs. And before singing My Way he says "It's a little difficult to sing with icicle's in your throat"...so he was apparently having some problems there, and causes some problems during certain songs but he still pulled them off pretty well imo..

Unchained Melody Ftd Review

I agree with all the comments about this release and it's great to have a concert from Febuary 1977 in our collections.The sound is absolutely fantastic and I hope future ftd releases are released in this quality [if possible].I have been playing it all weekend and I think it's a gem.

LOVE ME starts the cd and it's a lovely laid-back, bluesy version with nice piano and good guitar fills from James Burton.

FAIRYTALE is an ok version and enjoyable to sing along with, but I have heard better from 75.

YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN is a standard version but pleasent enough to listen to.

JAILHOUSE ROCK is enjoyable with good piano work from Tony Brown.

O SOLE MIO/IT'S NOW OR NEVER Elvis asks Shuan Nielsen to perform the original Italian version with Elvis preforming the hit version after.
    This is a superb version with Elvis singing "kiss me you fool" also the trumpets sound fantastic, the sound really is special on this release.

LITTLE SISTER starts with Elvis saying "starting with Little Sister and ending up with big Sister" this is a good version the sound is so good you can hear the Sweet Inspiration's clapping along and Elvis joking with the crowd pretending to be a boxer "someone rung my bell, hey what round is it" fantastic.

TEDDY BEAR/ DON'T BE CRUEL another standard run through but good enough.

MY WAY Elvis says "I'd like to do a song, that Frank Sinatra did,I dont know the words to it, it's called My Way, very difficult to sing with ice in the throat" Elvis performs a good version with not a word out of place.

MOODY BLUE apparently this was the first time the song was performed and it comes to a stop just after the intro. Elvis and the band try to get it together with Elvis eventually saying "to hell with Moody Blue"

HOW GREAT THOU ART a powerful version with Elvis giving it his all.

HURT is one of the highlights of the cd and is a brillaint version with a great short reprise.Elvis adds a bluesy vocal touch to the end of the first Hurt and then gives everthing he's got to the reprise - amazing!

HOUND DOG - average version.

UNCHAINED MELODY is a great version with Elvis saying "I've got nineteen frogs in my throat" after the false start, then performing a superb version.

CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE is a standard version to finish.

The bonus songs are recorded from other shows on the tour and included is a complete version of MOODY BLUE which is a good version and not available on any other release [as far as I know].

BLUEBERRY HILL is another highlight of the CD, with Tony Brown starting the song, Elvis says,"you're a fantastic piano player, but you're warped son,I'm going to show you how to do that"Elvis then performs the piano intro almost exactly like Fats Dominio himself. This is a fantastic R&B version with a laid back feel and one of the best versions I have ever heard-amazing.

LOVE LETTERS is laid back and bluesy not bad.

WHERE NO ONE STANDS ALONE is a gospel song that I'm not very familiar with, but it is great to have this unrealesed song.

RELEASE ME is a standard run through dedicated to "chicken neck"
    [who ever that is?]

TRYING TO GET TO YOU is a great version version with nice piano, real bluesy,

RECONSIDER BABY classic blues from Elvis and the TCB band, real low - down.

WHY ME LORD finishes the CD with Elvis and the Stamps fooling around on this classic gospel song.
    For me, this is a great release from FTD. Elvis didn't have the voice of previous years, but along with great sound, this is "one hell" of an enjoyable CD. Well done FTD.
    Last edited by my boy; 01-19-2007 at 08:26 PM.

International Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    I agree with all the comments about this release and it's great to have a concert from Febuary 1977 in our collections.The sound is absolutely fantastic and I hope future ftd releases are released in this quality [if possible].I have been playing it all weekend and I think it's a gem.

LOVE ME starts the cd and it's a lovely laid-back, bluesy version with nice piano and good guitar fills from James Burton.

FAIRYTALE is an ok version and enjoyable to sing along with, but I have heard better from 75.

YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN is a standard version but pleasent enough to listen to.

JAILHOUSE ROCK is enjoyable with good piano work from Tony Brown.

O SOLE MIO/IT'S NOW OR NEVER Elvis asks Shuan Nielsen to perform the original Italian version with Elvis preforming the hit version after.
    This is a superb version with Elvis singing "kiss me you fool" also the trumpets sound fantastic, the sound really is special on this release.

LITTLE SISTER starts with Elvis saying "starting with Little Sister and ending up with big Sister" this is a good version the sound is so good you can hear the Sweet Inspiration's clapping along and Elvis joking with the crowd pretending to be a boxer "someone rung my bell, hey what round is it" fantastic.

TEDDY BEAR/ DON'T BE CRUEL another standard run through but good enough.

MY WAY Elvis says "I'd like to do a song, that Frank Sinatra did,I dont know the words to it, it's called My Way, very difficult to sing with ice in the throat" Elvisperforms a goodversionwithnot a wordout of place.

MOODY BLUE apparentlythiswasthefirsttimethesongwasperformedan ditcomesto a stopjustaftertheintro. Elvis and the band try to get it together with Elvis eventually saying "to hell with Moody Blue"

HOW GREAT THOU ART a powerful version with Elvis giving it his all.

HURT is one of the highlights of the cd and is a brillaint version with a great short reprise.Elvis adds a bluesy vocal touch to the end of the first Hurt and then gives everthing he's got to the reprise - amazing!

HOUND DOG - average version.

UNCHAINED MELODY is a great version with Elvis saying "I've got nineteen frogs in my throat" after the false start, then performing a superb version.

CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE is a standard version to finish.

The bonus songs are recorded from other shows on the tour and included is a complete version of MOODY BLUE which is a good version and not available on any other release [as far as I know].

BLUEBERRY HILL is another highlight of the CD, with Tony Brown starting the song, Elvis says,"you're a fantastic piano player, but you're warped son,I'm going to show you how to do that"Elvis then performs the piano intro almost exactly like Fats Dominio himself. This is a fantastic R&B version with a laid back feel and one of the best versions I have ever heard-amazing.

LOVE LETTERS is laid back and bluesy not bad.

WHERE NO ONE STANDS ALONE is a gospel song that I'm not very familiar with, but it is great to have this unrealsed song.

RELEASE ME is a standard run through dedicated to "chicken neck"
    [whoeverthatis?]

TRYING TO GET TO YOU is a great version version with nice piano, real bluesy,

RECONSIDER BABY classic blues from Elvis and the TCB band, real low - down.

WHY ME LORD finishes the CD with Elvis and the Stamps fooling around on this classic gospel song.
    For me, this is a great release from FTD. Elvis didnt have the voice of previous years, but along with great sound, this is "one hell" of an enjoyable CD. Well done FTD.
    That recording of Blueberry Hill has been available on Cajun Tornado 2 for some time. It's excellent!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

"Unchained Melody" FTD

All the reviews you guys have posted make me want this release even more. God, I wish I had $$$$$$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by 0349054 View Post
    That recording of Blueberry Hill has been available on Cajun Tornado 2 for some time. It's excellent!
    Its also on "Coming On Strong".

"Unchained Melody FTD

Quote Originally Posted by Cheif77 View Post
    Its also on "Coming On Strong" and "Cajun Tornado 2"
    See, now I have never heard of either one of those releases.....I must be behind the times.

Unchained Melody- Ftd

This new FTD CD must be one of the best 1977 concerts by Elvis available.
    Any others would have to be exceptional to match it?

Unchained Melody A Fine Release

This ftd release is top-notch and Elvis was stil cutting it in 77.
    This is a must have for Elvis fans.

Backstage Pass
    so what are your takes on the static noise on 'Where No One Stands Alone' - see EIN news item below . . .

'Unchained Melody' FTD mastering fault?: Several fans have commented on audio static during the track 'Where No One Stands Alone' on the new FTD released last week. The discussion is that this audio fault was not apparent on previous bootleg releases of this same song. Elvis news asked Ernst Jorgensen for a comment who replied that, "It's recorded badly". EIN has not received its copy as yet so cannot comment. However EIN did note a mastering error on the recent 'Clambake' FTD as well as the deluxe 'Today' FTD - mastered by Tocano's Lene Reidel who worked on 'Unchained Melody' - which had a major audio level fault. (News, Source: EIN)

Don't see why he would say it was recorded badly if it doesn't have the scratching sound on the import.

"Unchained Melody" FTD

With the way you guys keep going on about this release, I can't wait to get my copy........

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    This ftd release is top-notch and Elvis was stil cutting it in 77.
    This is a must have for Elvis fans.
    I agree he could still cut it...but when I first heard Why Me Lord I was alittle dissapointed because I'm use to hearing Elvis singing along with the Stamps..guess he needed a break..

I got An Copy, The sound not up to par, it's not FTD best Releases , on paper It look liked good. I'm not big fan of 1977 live songs.
    I give this release an C+
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

International Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandude View Post
    See, now I have never heard of either one of those releases.....I must be behind the times.
    They are bootleg releases. Cajun Tornado and Cajun Tornado 2 are among my favourite live recordings.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

bootlegs

Quote Originally Posted by 0349054 View Post
    They are bootleg releases. Cajun Tornado and Cajun Tornado 2 are among my favourite live recordings.
    Even though they are bootlegs, I usually am kept up to date as to what's out there thanks to the internet. Makes me wonder how to get these two CDs, and also what others I may have missed.

Unchained Melody - FTD

Having just listened to this one, I was pleased to find the disc contained an entertaining Elvis Presley Show experience from 1977 in for the most part great sound quality.

An excerpt of My Wish Came True, the first (not to mention amusing) attempt at Moody Blue live, now in crystal clear quality, good humoured interaction with both crowd and band members, a handful of choice bonus tracks - there's enough on board here to easily justify this discs release.

The sound problems on Where No One Stands Alone are however unfortunate, this was one performance that always deserved to be available on an official disc in my opinion.

An enjoyable listen !

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast