Trying to get to you
    Blue suede shoes
    My way
    Polk salad Annie
    Band introductions
    Early morning rain
    What'd I say
    Johnny B Goode
    Drum solo by Ronnie Tutt (Elvis singing Hey Bo Diddley)
    Fender bass solo Jerry Scheff
    Piano solo Tony Brown
    Electric piano solo David Briggs
    Love letters
    School days
    Hurt (with reprise)
    Unchained melody
    Can't help falling in love
    Closing vamp

Label: Fort Baxter 2207
    Released: 1998
    Sound quality: very good (soundboard)

Date: December 28, 1976
    Attendance: 9,800
    Jumpsuit: Indian Feather (white) suit

Reviews: 1 (courtesy of Kennyelvis.net)
    Pictures: 2

Review #1
    by Gordon Caruana (Malta) ? goelvis@di-ve.com

It?s 1976. Many say it?s a bad year for Elvis. But this is December 28, 1976 and Elvis is, believe me, at his very best! Great rhythm, vast selection of songs, a voice developed at its utmost, and a happy man at last! What more could we ask for? A great concert! Here we go ? open some good speakers at full blast, and let?s rock with the King!

Anaheim, CA. November 30th 1976

A tip-toes start with See See Rider immediately followed by greets to the audience. Elvis shows his happy mood ? ?If I die tonight, it would take them a year to get the smile off my face?. Laughingly he tries to get the show started. Elvis jokes with the audience, but it?s not just act-joking, it?s real. I Got a Woman takes off and boy, it touches the stars! Amen is also great, everyone singing along. Again some joking before he finishes off I Got A Woman. WoW! (I wonder how the guitar flew!)

A loud feedback ticks outr eardrums, but no matter. More jokes, and on to Love Me, and it?s not the usual Love Me. Quite a fast, (but not too much) Fairytale is next, and it?s wonderful too. Yet another feedback stops You Gave Me A Mountain which starts off again, but is incomplete. What a pity!! We may hear the rest of the concert from the ending of Jailhouse Rock, which seems to have been a great number too! Again, what a pity!!

Elvis introduces the next song, asking Sherill Nielsen to do O Sole Mio, at which end, Elvis sings It?s Now Or Never. By the way, comments from Elvis as Sherill does his solo are neverending! But after the song Elvis shows his appreciation, asking him to do his solo again, although his incurable sense of humour takes over at times, wrecking poor Sherill?s attempts.

An old time record is next, that underestimated Trying To Get To You. Elvis really uses his voice in this one, as many others. Another great hit, Blue Suede Shoes is performed like never before. A request for My Way is eagerly taken by Elvis who asks for the words to the song, performed wonderfully.

Let?s get excited with Polk Salad Annie. She may have ?made the alligators look tame? but Elvis is still as wild as ever at 41!! It?s time for the Introductions of Elvis? worthy backing group. With usual solos in which elvis performs parts of Early Morning Rain, What?d I Say, Johnny B. Goode, Hey Bo Diddley, Love Letters and School Days.

Immediately following the Introduction, Elvis attempts a go at Hurt, which he performs perfectly, as many times. The audience, (and us) are also treated with a much higher and better reprise! Elvis announces that he wants to do a song he did the previous night. He himself plays the piano, occasionally asking for the right keys, and performs a wonderful version of this eternal ballad.

As we?re still in the climax of this outstanding show, Can?t Help Falling In Love tells us that it?s the end of the show, with just the Closing Vamp left. Elvis does it with difficulty after suffering great strain at his throat through the previous two numbers. Strangely enough, the show runs over an hour, and I say strangely, because it seems like only 10 minutes. This is a must for every Elvis fan. If you haven?t got it, you are really missing something special.

Artwork: 7
    Sound: 8
    Show: 9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28_dec_76_01.jpg   28_dec_76_02.jpg  
    Last edited by Sonny; 02-05-2007 at 03:50 PM.

I got the CD of A Hot Winter Night in Dallas from another Elvis fan from the U.S, i must say this is one of my favourite concert. but i was just curious, did elvis wasnt too healthy when he did this concert ? from the picture he looked a little pale..

kennyelvis
    Hi theodormcm25,
    Welcome to this board, witch by the way are the greatest
    Elvis in his last tour of 1976, it was not a very sic Elvis, it was a Elvis that was better than he had been the complete year, The short dec tour was only with 5 shows, it started in Wichita Kansas and ended up in Pittsburgh new years eve where he would do his best concert in many years.
    So theodormcm25, to answer your question, Elvis was sic, but much better than he was only 14 days earlyer, in fact, much better than he have been for years
    Dallas is a f****n`g great show :worthy:
    Last edited by kennyelvis; 07-09-2004 at 11:28 PM.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

Talking

Kenny, I totally agree with you. This CD, (along with "Burning In Birmingham") is really kickass. Elvis was on top of the world during this ultra-short tour. What a shame that some shows have been recorded on soundboard, while the king of 'em all, the New Year's Eve show, has 'only' been recorded by someone in the audience.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

kennyelvis
    yes Albert, that is a real shame
    But we got much from that tour anyway, but i find it hard to get my hands on pictures from that date december 28th 1976.
    Anyone on this board like to share some december 28th pix with us
    Opsss, there i go again pix, pix, pix

kennyelvis
    Ha ha , i found it Sonny, Check out the 3rd pix on the top row here
    http://thekinginconcert.com/set_s.html

You see the same thing over Elvis head.

But i could be wrong

It looks like the same "P" sign, you are right.

And if those pics are taken in Evansville, than the ones I posted (at least the one on the right) is from Evansville as well.
    But that is a nice pic, weird it isn't in that Evansville collection.

I'll keep looking...

Sonny

AHWNID is one of my all-time FAVORITE boot releases. An ESSENTIAL release for hardcore fans.

If (as per the 1st review on this thread) E is having a "tip-toe" thru C.C. RIDER, ......... I'd love to see what a hammering version is ...................... !!

EP is ON FIRE from word one of CC, ........... in fact, it is my favorite version on the song done in the later 70's. I've always felt you could pretty much gauge how a concert was going to be by how EP approached / delivered his opening CC number. This release is proof as to the correctness of that "theory."

Fantastic concert & release by FORT BAXTER. Many of the FB releases are "essential" to own (I thought I'd died & gone to heaven with both of their :worthy: PROFILE :worthy: box-sets).

- Capt. "EL."

Man, this is a fantastic show, and in great soundboard sound quality too.

A 'Trying To Get To You' which is as close to the 1968 Comeback Special rendition as you are likely to get and a stratospheric reprise on Hurt, just two of the reasons why a picture of this disc should be found next to the word 'essential' in any dictionary.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Yeah, ...... I agree SpinOut .............

Forgot to mention ---> (already stated by others on this thread, though), ........ I second the sentiments that "Burning In Birmingham" as an obvious essential companion release to go along with "A Hot Winter's Night."

EP's version of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" sung to Ginger is not to missed (nor are his comments to a heckler in the audience during it).

FORT BAXTER releases, .................. always good stuff!!

- Capt. "EL."

Roustabouts

Thumbs up

This concert shows the king at his very best. His voice is just excellent and so are the deliveries of the songs. The programme is great, no ALL SHOOK UP and stuff like that. I would go so far and say, this tour was the last one where the people got their money's worth.

This show is outstanding!!!Thats all.
    PS This might be the best show from 1976.
    Last edited by michu; 06-07-2005 at 09:45 PM.

this is one of my favourite imports!

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    One of the best versions if not the best version of "Unchained Melody" is on this cd. I really like it when Elvis' voice goes real low and he is almost whispering "wait for me", its really touching to listen to.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

With the release of "Burning in Birmingham" , we as the Elvis fans were treated to an immensely spirited show containing the Elvis Presley charm and magic.