Thread: All Shook Up

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 02-09-2011 at 10:00 PM.

With this outing from Elvis? ?comeback? in Vegas FTD brings us the third complete (?) show from 1969 (officially).

Cover Art

It?s the easiest task in the world to make a cover for an Elvis 1969 show? just put a picture of him during one of those shows on a piece of paper and you have a marvelous cover. No difference this time, and gladly they decorated the pictures in a tasteful way. The coverpicture was also used on "A Touch Of Platinum volume 2", but this time we get it full color.

Remarkable here is that the cover mentions Millie Kirkham, while Elvis doesn?t introduce her and Tunzi doesn?t mention her in his book either. But then again, Tunzi says Elvis did ?What?d I Say? during the midnight show too, and why would Ernst & Co leave it out? Because the total time might exceed the maximum of the CD?

Content

Of course the highlights of this midnight show from August 26 were already released: the famous laughing version of ?Are You Lonesome Tonight?? (Elvis Aron Presley and on single various times) and the live-rarities ?Rubberneckin?? (exclusive false start) and ?This Is The Story? on Collector?s Gold (for the completists: also ?Baby What You Want Me To Do? and ?Runaway? were on Collector?s Gold). Still it is fantastic to have those songs in their right setting, the complete performance.

The show starts with a frantic version of ?Blue Suede Shoes?. The mix is very different from what we are used to. Gladly the rhythm section is very upfront, especially Larry Muhoberac on his piano, the unnecessary orchestra is not very audible, only during the crescendos at the end of the songs. This makes of ?Baby What You Want Me To Do? probably the best version we have, but in general the whole show benefits from it.

The first thing in Elvis? performance that appears is that ?Are You Lonesome? is not alone in this show. Elvis is laughing nearly the complete show: in between songs, but also during songs. Although his laugh is very infectious, it is sometimes almost as if he drank too much before getting on stage? especially during the intro of ?Hound Dog?. On the other hand it makes the show outstanding from the others, because next to a few song changes it is nearly identical to the other show, including the monologue and jokes.

Conclusion

All together this FTD outing is a very welcome one and shows what a party it must have been to attend an Elvis show in 1969.

Review taken from Elvisnews.com

Mark
    A full-length concert of Elvis Presley's August 1969 Las Vegas stint is always welcome, even if the present CD featuring the August 26 midnight show no longer holds any surprises for the collector already owing previous releases like "Elvis In Person", "Collector's Gold", "Live in Las Vegas" and "Elvis at the International". None of the versions on "All Shook Up" are better than those we already had - "Suspicious Minds" is excellent, but the version on "In Person" still remains unequalled. And the laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight", now finally heard in its context, is not exactly a novelty either.

The sound is great for its age, yet what makes "All Shook Up" really worth purchasing is the outstanding mix, which easily beats all previous releases. Finally they got that right.

I call this one a winner,
    the sound is perfect, and let us hear the tcb band in all of his glory.
    E is in a perfect mood and does great versions of the songs like "baby what you want..."..."suspicious minds" and "mystery train"....
    A must have for all of us...
    Old Times they are not forgotten
    Johan

Is this better than Elvis At The International?
    I did it my way.

Same question, how does this release differ, sound wise, from FTDs At The International? While I don't think you can ever beat a performance from '69 or '70 I thought the mix on At The International left a lot to be desired. While Elvis' vocals were up front and clear, they were too up front. Many times his vocals completely drowned out the band. The mix/mastering on the original live '69 release, In Person, remains my favorite.

All Shook Up

This one is a "Must Have" for me but I do not have it yet. I do not belong to the Collector's Club so it is kind of hard to fine but I will fine it eventually... can't fine on Ebay or Amazon yet. Thanks for sharing... Dovey

You can find this release at the official Elvis/Graceland website. Believe it or not, they sell it for less than Amazon.

Cadillac King

Cd

This is an awesome release. Personally I can't find anything to complain about with this release. Elvis at his best.

IM

Got It!!

I now have "All Shook Up" it is a great CD and I truly love it!!! Thanks for the ideas on where to find it. Dovey

All Shook Up

Elvis Is in a very good mood in this performence. He says some things that he said in 'Elvis At The International' but it's a good cd it's a MUST HAVE!
    I did it my way.

This is ELVIS...finally an AWESOME FTD cd to spend some $$ on!!!
    Don't tell me that has the same value of It's midnight, Tucson 76, Dragon Heart...and all that stuff that is mono recorded or more or less...
    Higly raccomanded this All shook up together with At the international. Great tiger voice!!!

Very good!!!!!!!!!

TCB Mafia

Re: All Shook Up

The constant laughing during songs makes this very difficult to listen to.

Este es un bueníssimo CD!
    Muy muy muy bueno!

Cadillac King

A great release and a great concert!

IM