Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Core Media Group puts Graceland back on market for more than $200 million dollars

Re: Core Media Group puts Graceland back on market for more than $200 million dollars

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    For those who are not familiar with the direct area north of Graceland, just hundreds of feet from the gates of Graceland, which EPE now owns all of this land, here's a few Google Earth street view images to let you see what my fuss is all about. Note that these images are from 2007. It looks even worse in person.

First: looking north from Graceland Crossing.

Next: looking east from Graceland Crossing.

Last: looking south from Graceland Crossing.
    Reminds me of several sections of highway near St Louis if you drive to the new Cardinal Stadeum built a few years back you see very similar sights, and some near Belleville Illinois, and some near the Great River Road near Alton....typical for our country. Let me see if I can find some photos of East St Louis for you or southside Chicago.
    Work in Progress!

Re: Core Media Group puts Graceland back on market for more than $200 million dollars

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well the Sillerman, Apollo, Core deal was suppose to be the bridge to capital to make expansions and changes-and since all have not come through...it may be some time before anything changes.....part of the problem with this from the start-was people expecting large scale change quickly after the Sillerman deal-I tried to point out then that probably would not be the case and indeed it was not. I also pointed out that Sillerman was doing a lot of thinking out loud in some of his statements and that nothing was set in stone-indeed it was not.
    Apollo was the next big hope to capital expenditure.... to get the ball rolling on the original intention of the Sillerman deal-indeed it was not.
    So until someone comes along who has "definite plans and who realizes the cost fully-EPE will be held in limbo.
    Also the investor who buys EPE will have to realize that for the $200 million upfront cost-and another $200 million in capital investments to do all that has been talked about for 7-8 years now-the return on their investment will be over the long haul-not quick.
    But also all the fans will have to realize that "state of the art" museums, hotels etc will not come cheap after they are built.
    Whomever buys EPE will want as quick a return on their investment as possible-so that museum, hotel and all other new additions will come at premium ticket prices in the future along with most likely more hefty Graceland ticket prices....the investors will set the pricing based upon what they have to spend. Nothing is free.

It took Memphis over 30 years to decide upon the highway renovation and expansion and finally last year that began.
    So, basically none of us will be around to see those dream changes. And to think it was us the fans who kept them all in business.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Reminds me of several sections of highway near St Louis if you drive to the new Cardinal Stadeum built a few years back you see very similar sights, and some near Belleville Illinois, and some near the Great River Road near Alton....typical for our country. Let me see if I can find some photos of East St Louis for you or southside Chicago.
    Once again, you miss the point. You always do. There you go again comparing E. St Louis to a historical world landmark that receives over half a million people a year. I don't know why I keep trying to explain the freaking obvious to you because you never seem to get it. Stupid me.

Once again, you miss the point. You always do. There you go again comparing E. St Louis to a historical world landmark that receives over half a million people a year. I don't know why I keep trying to explain the freaking obvious to you because you never seem to get it. Stupid me.
    The point is you want things to be perfect in your mindset, your way and in your subjective observations. Even where Elvis' hometown is concerned there are realities of existence that can not be made perfect and definitely can not be made perfect at the snap of "your fingers"
    Life is not all forums and discussion-that cost nothing and are easily done.
    Your point has always been "not enough is done" and when something is done-its still not enough-and you gloss over the freaking obvious (term you use) things that are done that promote Elvis well and the freaking obvious that in trying to get more done by the Sillerman deal-it only complicated the situation, raised expectation and led to a waiting game going on 8 years...that freaking obviously holds major decisions at bay by EPE until someone gives a capital investiment green light that is on solid ground
    Work in Progress!

So, basically none of us will be around to see those dream changes. And to think it was us the fans who kept them all in business.
    If you went to tour Graceland and paid a fee for the ticket-do you now own the building? If you buy Sony records-do you own the business???
    You bought a ticket and got your tour-that was the understanding for the ticket. If you buy a cd you now have a copy of the music for the price of the cd...quid pro cro...you do not have to buy the ticket or cd but if you do - and you get what you paid for that does not mean they owe you anything more than you agreed to in the original purchase. You are missing a big point.
    And the "dream changes" are important to you-not to every fan who wants to walk the halls Elvis walked and still can do so...regardless of your "dream changes" happening or not...or am I missing something-if the "dream changes do not happen" are the tours of Graceland cancelled?
    Not that I know of.
    Work in Progress!

The point is you want things to be perfect in your mindset, your way and in your subjective observations. Even where Elvis' hometown is concerned there are realities of existence that can not be made perfect and definitely can not be made perfect at the snap of "your fingers"
    Life is not all forums and discussion-that cost nothing and are easily done.
    Your point has always been "not enough is done" and when something is done-its still not enough-and you gloss over the freaking obvious (term you use) things that are done that promote Elvis well and the freaking obvious that in trying to get more done by the Sillerman deal-it only complicated the situation, raised expectation and led to a waiting game going on 8 years...that freaking obviously holds major decisions at bay by EPE until someone gives a capital investiment green light that is on solid ground
    FYI, Memphis has one of the lowest construction cost rates of any US city due to poor local economy. There's no excuse for the immediate Graceland area to be in the shape it is in today.

And if you lived in Memphis you would hear this a lot more from others than just me.

Another figure to put out for you to see. Since 2000, Memphis has seen it's population drop from 800,000 metropolitan residents to just 650,000 today. That's a decrease of 150,000 people leaving Memphis because of no jobs, no income, and a racially divided town. I'm one of them.

If you went to tour Graceland and paid a fee for the ticket-do you now own the building? If you buy Sony records-do you own the business???
    You bought a ticket and got your tour-that was the understanding for the ticket. If you buy a cd you now have a copy of the music for the price of the cd...quid pro cro...you do not have to buy the ticket or cd but if you do - and you get what you paid for that does not mean they owe you anything more than you agreed to in the original purchase. You are missing a big point.
    And the "dream changes" are important to you-not to every fan who wants to walk the halls Elvis walked and still can do so...regardless of your "dream changes" happening or not...or am I missing something-if the "dream changes do not happen" are the tours of Graceland cancelled?
    Not that I know of.
    You're naive is all I will say to that.

If any of you think that Memphis doesn't have issues, then check out this billboard that the Memphis Police Department themselves put up on their own to warn out of town visitors of the dangers in Memphis. Just how many visitors do you think will continue to go there and to Graceland with stuff like this to worry about? I know I wouldn't put my life or my kids lives in that kind of danger. Not even to see the King's home.

You're naive is all I will say to that.
    Explain to me how?
    Tell me what I missed that you have such insight to I'm listening.
    Work in Progress!

FYI, Memphis has one of the lowest construction cost rates of any US city due to poor local economy. There's no excuse for the immediate Graceland area to be in the shape it is in today.

And if you lived in Memphis you would hear this a lot more from others than just me.

Another figure to put out for you to see. Since 2000, Memphis has seen it's population drop from 800,000 metropolitan residents to just 650,000 today. That's a decrease of 150,000 people leaving Memphis because of no jobs, no income, and a racially divided town. I'm one of them.
    Memphis-has lost population because of no jobs, no income and a racially divided town-how is that somehow related to Graceland or EPE?
    As I said you want to associate the cities conditions (such as you just have) to Graceland and what it does or does not do?
    They are not running the city-and you call me naive.
    How much worse would the conditions be with no tax dollars from that tourist attraction that keeps money coming into the area?
    Work in Progress!

Memphis-has lost population because of no jobs, no income and a racially divided town-how is that somehow related to Graceland or EPE?
    As I said you want to associate the cities conditions (such as you just have) to Graceland and what it does or does not do?
    They are not running the city-and you call me naive.
    How much worse would the conditions be with no tax dollars from that tourist attraction that keeps money coming into the area?

Did I say that it has anything to do with Graceland or EPE? No I did not. I was just adding that tibit to show that things aren't all grand in Memphis as you like to think. But, it does relate to the future of Graceland. That is where I say you're naive if you think it does not.

You cannot have a national tourist mecca like Graceland in the heart of a crime zone and that is what Whitehaven is becoming. I don't blame investors for not wanting to build around there. I wouldn't want to either until things changed.

For future reference, here's the websites to all of the Memphis-based news stations. Check them daily and you will see just how bad South Memphis/Whitehaven has gotten. Graceland area or Elvis Presley Boulevard is constantly being brought up for a murder or shooting. There's a reason why it's on the FBI's list as one of the top most dangerous cities in America. But shhh, EPE doesn't want anyone to know that.

http://wreg.com/

http://www.abc24.com/default.aspx

http://www.wmctv.com/

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/

If any of you think that Memphis doesn't have issues, then check out this billboard that the Memphis Police Department themselves put up on their own to warn out of town visitors of the dangers in Memphis. Just how many visitors do you think will continue to go there and to Graceland with stuff like this to worry about? I know I wouldn't put my life or my kids lives in that kind of danger. Not even to see the King's home.

There are similar signs all across the US .... because of budget cuts and the police and firefighter cuts the unions have been fighting to point out cuts in police make the cities more unsafe-its not just Memphis:

The mayor of Memphis said billboards put up by the Memphis Police Association are hurting the city’s image and calls the message, “selfish.”

The police union billboards feature the warning, “DANGER: Enter at your own risk; This city does not support public safety,” MyFoxMemphis.com reported.

Mike Williams, the president of the MPA, said the billboards are meant to target city leaders and are about protecting union’s jobs and benefits.

“I think it’s self-centered, I think it’s selfish,” Memphis Mayor A C Wharton said. “I think it has no place in our city.”

The mayor said the signs are driving away visitors and costing people who work in the tourism and hospitality industry, warning it may cost people their jobs, MyFoxMemphis.com reported.

“Our billboards are not aimed at the citizens. They’re not aimed at saying this really a bad, bad place,” Williams said.

Wharton said Memphis instituted a 4.6 percent pay cut to protect jobs, as opposed to issuing layoffs, but police officers want their pay reinstated and Williams said the signs are just the start of the union’s public campaign.

“This can be stopped at anytime,” Williams told MyFoxMemphis.com.

“The mayor has the power to stop it, so if in fact he wants to stop it then he needs to do right by the city employees, and definitely the police officers in this city.”

Click for more from MyFoxMemphis.com.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/27...#ixzz2U9SWSjtv
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

It makes you wonder if Elvis would have continued to live in Memphis if he hadn't of died.

Because from what i've heard the area around Graceland became so rundown after he died and is very crime ridden.

Given that i wonder if Elvis wouldn't have just sold Graceland and lived exclusively in California or moved to Hawaii or something.

Did I say that it has anything to do with Graceland or EPE? No I did not. I was just adding that tibit to show that things aren't all grand in Memphis as you like to think. But, it does relate to the future of Graceland. That is where I say you're naive if you think it does not.

You cannot have a national tourist mecca like Graceland in the heart of a crime zone and that is what Whitehaven is becoming.

For future reference, here's the websites to all of the Memphis-based news stations. Check them daily and you will see just how bad South Memphis/Whitehaven has gotten. Graceland area or Elvis Presley Boulevard is constantly being brought up for a murder or shooting. There's a reason why it's on the FBI's list as one of the top most dangerous cities in America. But shhh, EPE doesn't want anyone to know that.

http://wreg.com/

http://www.abc24.com/default.aspx

http://www.wmctv.com/

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/
    The implication was there...as always.
    I have never said things in Memphis were grand-NEVER.
    I have said that Memphis' city problems are just that-it is not EPE who caused them, it is Not Graceland who can solve them.
    I have said the obvious the taxes paid and brought into Memphis by the location of such a tourist attraction as Graceland is a Godsend to Memphis...
    EPE can not police a United States city in Tennesee, they can only do their part. What kind of citizens do you have in Memphis that its so easy to blame someone else but the city fathers for how the city has become.
    If tourism drops for Graceland-Memphis will be the big loser and the bad will become worse.
    I believe in strong citizen activism to change things-and it seems sadly lacking in Memphis.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It makes you wonder if Elvis would have continued to live in Memphis if he hadn't of died.

Because from what i've heard the area around Graceland became so rundown after he died and is very crime ridden.

Given that i wonder if Elvis wouldn't have just sold Graceland and lived exclusively in California or moved to Hawaii or something.
    You may have a point-at the very least he would have had much more stringent security I'm sure.
    If he had lived maybe the condition might be different-they say a single drop of rain can change the weather....if he had lived who knows what affect that might have had on the area. Zen thinking
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Brian, you bring up a very good point. I have had this same discussion with my friends back home and they too say no, he wouldn't have, and I agree. He loved Memphis but so does Anferenee Hardaway or Jerry Lee Lewis. But they are smart not to live in a crime area. Hardaway grew up not far from where I did called Treadwell and that area is one of the worst neighborhoods in America now. He now resides in Southwind, a gated rich community of who's who among Memphis celebrities. Movie stars, singers and sports figures all live in Southwind. It's like the Hollywood of the South. Fed-Ex CEO Fred Smith also lives there or near there. His son just graduated and played football at the University of Memphis last year named Cannon. He just recently signed as a free agent with the St. Louis Rams.

As for Elvis, I think he too would have moved from the crime ridden Whitehaven which is also know by African Americans as "Blackhaven" by now, and moved into either Southwind or Southaven, MS. or maybe Horn Lake, MS. Both are just 15 minute drives form downtown Memphis. I just do not think he would have kept living at Graceland to 2013. He at one point in 1970 planned to build his dream home on the Circle G Ranch in Horn Lake mocked after the White House in Washington, DC.

I honestly think that Elvis would be very disappointed in Memphis today. But who knows, had have lived, he might have gotten into politics to clean up the crap that has caused such disrepair over the last 30 years. It might have been a much different Memphis.

Brian, you bring up a very good point. I have had this same discussion with my friends back home and they too say no, he wouldn't have, and I agree. He loved Memphis but so does Anferenee Hardaway or Jerry Lee Lewis. But they are smart not to live in a crime area. Hardaway grew up not far from where I did called Treadwell and that area is one of the worst neighborhoods in America now. He now resides in Southwind, a gated rich community of who's who among Memphis celebrities. Movie stars, singers and sports figures all live in Southwind. It's like the Hollywood of the South. Fed-Ex CEO Fred Smith also lives there or near there. His son just graduated and played football at the University of Memphis last year named Cannon. He just recently signed as a free agent with the St. Louis Rams.

As for Elvis, I think he too would have moved from the crime ridden Whitehaven which is also know by African Americans as "Blackhaven" by now, and moved into either Southwind or Southaven, MS. or maybe Horn Lake, MS. Both are just 15 minute drives form downtown Memphis. I just do not think he would have kept living at Graceland to 2013. He at one point in 1970 planned to build his dream home on the Circle G Ranch in Horn Lake mocked after the White House in Washington, DC.

I honestly think that Elvis would be very disappointed in Memphis today. But who knows, had have lived, he might have gotten into politics to clean up the crap that has caused such disrepair over the last 30 years. It might have been a much different Memphis.
    WOW I can't believe it-similar thoughts.
    Work in Progress!

Word is that there's some type of agreement in the sale of EPE that whoever wants to buy it MUST agree to terms to build a new hotel at Graceland, that the details and financing is already in place.

Word is that there's some type of agreement in the sale of EPE that whoever wants to buy it MUST agree to terms to build a new hotel at Graceland, that the details and financing is already in place.
    I could have sworn you said no hotel deal was found because no investors wanted to build in Memphis-now word of financing already in place?
    I can not imagine that CORE could care about the hotel being built or not-they want to sell EPE and I know few businesses that would have conditions to potential buyers that might hold up a sale....if they are serious about selling.
    Where did your info come from-in other words is it from a press release concerning the potential sale by CORE or EPE or is it rumor?
    Work in Progress!

I could have sworn you said no hotel deal was found because no investors wanted to build in Memphis-now word of financing already in place?
    I can not imagine that CORE could care about the hotel being built or not-they want to sell EPE and I know few businesses that would have conditions to potential buyers that might hold up a sale....if they are serious about selling.
    Where did your info come from-in other words is it from a press release concerning the potential sale by CORE or EPE or is it rumor?
    No rumor.
    http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...and-jack-soden

Raia said that the opportunities for a serious buyer could be enormous, as there are already detailed plans for an Elvis-themed hotel near Graceland.