Thread: Stay Away Joe on tonight

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Stay Away Joe on tonight

I never realized until tonight Charlie Lightcloud (Burgess Meredith) the guy that plays Elvis' dad is Mickey from Rocky. Yo Mick!

Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Re: Stay Away Joe on tonight

I've always thought all the guys are having an absolute ball in this film
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Burgess was also the Penguin in the 60s Batman series...and he was Jack Lemmons father in the Grumply Old Men films.
    His career was such a varied and eclectic one a real actors actor.
    Work in Progress!

I always loved Stay away Joe.

Its a movie that I always felt never got a fair shake from critics and the public.
    Critics all mention how it portrayed Native American Indians in a bad light and with so few songs some fans and the public ignored it.
    I thought it was a funny mature movie that pushed the envelope in light of Elvis' past films and his acting was much better with more realistic writing of dialogue.
    Work in Progress!

Coming On Strong

It marked a return to some form of effort of Elvis' behalf and he seems to be very relaxed and natural...one of his better 60s performances

I always like that in every movie Elvis will have a fight or water scene and his hair will be perfect afterward. It makes me laugh every time.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I always like that in every movie Elvis will have a fight or water scene and his hair will be perfect afterward. It makes me laugh every time.
    Like a boss.

Stay Away Joe did show Elvis' hair pretty wild at times, which was a little more realistic.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Stay Away Joe did show Elvis' hair pretty wild at times, which was a little more realistic.
    Yes, I mean more of when Elvis has a fight or water scene and his hair will be messed up for a few seconds but the next frame it's perfect. That just makes me smile everytime.

RIP Tommy

There are some really funny lines in this film too, especially from the Grandpa and Elvis' step mother.

On hearing how big the bull will be, Elvis' father says "I'd say that's a lot of bull"
    The step mother says "So would I"

Killer line
    The Acoustic Rockabilly Channel ♫ for exclusive acoustic rockabilly videos

Elvis holidays & tours to Memphis & Graceland with Arena Travel

I have a female friend who watched this the other night and she was raving at how handsome Elvis looked. She is Latino and was surprised to see so many Hispanics in that movie, let alone seeing Elvis make out with them. She commented on it being one of the funniest movies she's ever seen. I had to agree with her on that.

For those that don't know, the dark complected guy in the denim jacket was Sonny West of the Memphis Mafia. Joe Esposito also had a small role.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I have a female friend who watched this the other night and she was raving at how handsome Elvis looked. She is Latino and was surprised to see so many Hispanics in that movie, let alone seeing Elvis make out with them. She commented on it being one of the funniest movies she's ever seen. I had to agree with her on that.

For those that don't know, the dark complected guy in the denim jacket was Sonny West of the Memphis Mafia. Joe Esposito also had a small role.
    Since the film is set in Arizona and many Hispanics populate Arizona it would have been pretty bad to not see them in the film. (although most were suppose to be of American Indian descent in the film)
    Charlie Hodge also had a part in the film and character actor LQ Jones has a big part as Elvis' right hand man Bronc-LQ also was in Love Me Tender and Flaming Star.
    Last edited by KPM; 05-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Since the film is set in Arizona and many Hispanics populate Arizona it would have been pretty bad to not see them in the film. (although most were suppose to be of American Indian descent in the film)
    Charlie Hodge also had a part in the film and character actor LQ Jones has a big part as Elvis' right hand man Bronc-LQ also was in Love Me Tender and Flaming Star.
    I read online somewhere that they had to round up the rattle snakes in the desert where they were filming. That would have freaked me out as I am terrified of snakes. Elvis was too.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/