Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time for Aloha From Hawaii to get overdue respect

It's time for Aloha From Hawaii to get overdue respect

With the 40th anniversary of the historically groundbreaking satellite concert event, dubbed Aloha From Hawaii coming in January, this is the time to honor it and to give it its overdue respect with a deluxe edition by Sony Music. This would be the perfect follow-up to Prince From Another Planet. The setlists would be different from the MSG shows' setlist and would already be known worldwide as a monumental performance.

I think it would be smart for Sony and EPE to team up for a CD/DVD project with a documentary that talks about how the stage and production came together, how Elvis got into physical shape for the show, backstage news footage, etc as the highlight of the set. They have never done this and it's time they do. Remix the original two shows like they have for the MSG set and present it in a 3-disc deluxe edition set and a 2-disc Legacy Edition set. Just put a little more effort (and money) into the booklet with color photos and not cheap black & white.

Below is my proposal.

DISC 1 (CD) *The Alternate Aloha Dress Rehearsal Concert-plus the 5 Hawaiian bonus songs* ( January 12, 1973)

DISC 2 (CD) *The Aloha From Hawaii Concert (in its entirety with long instrumental ending)* (January 14, 1973)

DISC 3 (DVD) *The Making Of Aloha From Hawaii* (Documentary)

Or....Sony could work like hell to find the lost soundboards to one of the November 18 1972 shows in Hawaii which led up to the Aloha special. I'm sure some private collector has it and for the right price would give it up to Sony. Especially knowing that Sony is willing to make an offer on lost material like they have for the new PFAP set. Then, EPE could do their own documentary on the special.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: It's time for Aloha From Hawaii to get overdue respect

fantastic idea...........will it happen?.......Mmmmm, probably not

A lot of fans are not fond of this concert, rarely watch it.........I think they don't give enough credit for the situation he was in.....he looked amazing, a tight performance with a wide choice of songs........and the poor guy was a bag of nerves
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    With the 40th anniversary of the historically groundbreaking satellite concert event, dubbed Aloha From Hawaii coming in January, this is the time to honor it and to give it its overdue respect with a deluxe edition by Sony Music. This would be the perfect follow-up to Prince From Another Planet. The setlists would be different from the MSG shows' setlist and would already be known worldwide as a monumental performance.

I think it would be smart for Sony and EPE to team up for a CD/DVD project with a documentary that talks about how the stage and production came together, how Elvis got into physical shape for the show, backstage news footage, etc as the highlight of the set. They have never done this and it's time they do. Remix the original two shows like they have for the MSG set and present it in a 3-disc deluxe edition set and a 2-disc Legacy Edition set. Just put a little more effort (and money) into the booklet with color photos and not cheap black & white.

Below is my proposal.

DISC 1 (CD) *The Alternate Aloha Dress Rehearsal Concert-plus the 5 Hawaiian bonus songs* ( January 12, 1973)

DISC 2 (CD) *The Aloha From Hawaii Concert (in its entirety with long instrumental ending)* (January 14, 1973)

DISC 3 (DVD) *The Making Of Aloha From Hawaii* (Documentary)

Or....Sony could work like hell to find the lost soundboards to one of the November 18 1972 shows in Hawaii which led up to the Aloha special. I'm sure some private collector has it and for the right price would give it up to Sony. Especially knowing that Sony is willing to make an offer on lost material like they have for the new PFAP set. Then, EPE could do their own documentary on the special.
    Fascinating idea and one that I'd be very willing to see come into fruition. Aloha is very special to me and I'd love to see something of this nature done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    fantastic idea...........will it happen?.......Mmmmm, probably not

A lot of fans are not fond of this concert, rarely watch it.........I think they don't give enough credit for the situation he was in.....he looked amazing, a tight performance with a wide choice of songs........and the poor guy was a bag of nerves
    I know what you mean about the fans not liking it. But they seem to forget that it was never meant to be an actual typical Elvis type show. The whole purpose was for it to be a benefit concert to raise money for a cancer fund for Hawaiian native Kui Lee. Elvis was nervous because of the pressures on his shoulders to deliver a stellar performance, in which he did.

However, this set, just like Prince From Another Planet, is not meant for the everyday Elvis fanatic. It's mainly for the general public to discover parts of Elvis that they haven't heard before. Much of the public today have only seen bits and pieces of the Aloha show. I think an in dept look into it is well deserved and needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Fascinating idea and one that I'd be very willing to see come into fruition. Aloha is very special to me and I'd love to see something of this nature done with it.
    Thanks! It only makes sense to focus on this since it is arguably his biggest accomplishment and a milestone accomplishment at that.

I know what you mean about the fans not liking it. But they seem to forget that it was never meant to be an actual typical Elvis type show. The whole purpose was for it to be a benefit concert to raise money for a cancer fund for Hawaiian native Kui Lee. Elvis was nervous because of the pressures on his shoulders to deliver a stellar performance, in which he did.

However, this set, just like Prince From Another Planet, is not meant for the everyday Elvis fanatic. It's mainly for the general public to discover parts of Elvis that they haven't heard before. Much of the public today have only seen bits and pieces of the Aloha show. I think an in dept look into it is well deserved and needed.
    Thanks! It only makes sense to focus on this since it is arguably his biggest accomplishment and a milestone accomplishment at that.
    I quite agree.........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

How do u all rate the audio quality from the DELUXE DVDS does it stand as the best audio for the shows out there ?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

I've got to be honest and say I bought the deluxe Aloha DVD when it was released a few years ago and I've only watched it two or three times! Elvis looks great and at his Jumpsuited pinnacle but I just find the show technically good but not exciting. There can be little doubt of the accomplishment for the time, however I can sit and watch TTWII all day long and never get tired of seeing it.

I'm not adverse to your suggestion though as I would love crystal clear audio of both shows and a good documentary with out-takes. A behind the scenes focus would make a nice addition to the collection.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I would like to see a documentary on the Aloha show but I don't want to buy a whole new package just to see the documentary. If I were to buy the package there needs to be something in Disc 1 and 2 that I have not seen.

I guess I must be one of the few that likes the Aloha show. I will say that I prefer the rehearsal show over the live broadcast. Elvis puts on a better performance in the rehearsal show, a lot more like the Elvis we know. The highlights for me are It's Over, American Trilogy, What Now My Love, My Way and Fever on the rehearsal show.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

I'm sure they have tons of video footage from different angles as well. They could re-edit the footage and re-mix the audio to an all new high.
    People on Youtube have already remixed the Soundtrack with the Video and some did an awesome job.

-Does anyone know if they recorded the Rehearsal for Aloha where Elvis is wearing the MSG press conference jacket in the empty concert hall?
    (not the back up show two nights before in case anything went wrong with the airing of the program)

So was the remix of "That's The Way It Is" (Special Edition) the only acceptable remixed project of Video and Sound?
    Would be nice to see, "Elvis On Tour" and "Aloha From Hawaii" done the same way.
    There is Only One Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I've got to be honest and say I bought the deluxe Aloha DVD when it was released a few years ago and I've only watched it two or three times! Elvis looks great and at his Jumpsuited pinnacle but I just find the show technically good but not exciting. There can be little doubt of the accomplishment for the time, however I can sit and watch TTWII all day long and never get tired of seeing it.

I'm not adverse to your suggestion though as I would love crystal clear audio of both shows and a good documentary with out-takes. A behind the scenes focus would make a nice addition to the collection.
    I agree in regards to performance. Cool jumpsuit, He lost weight and looked good but earlier and even later fan filmed footage of him, he displayed more enthusiasm. The added songs made it even worst. All in the name of adding more Commercial slots.
    There is Only One Elvis

I enjoyed the concert,don't forget Elvis had to complete the show before the satellite ended,so he couldn't interact as much with the audience.

I like this so much I have the deluxe dvd......but I have it on my sky+ box......just flip it on........love it

Sure, he's not as 'active', but as Kathy said, he was on a tight time schedule

they could use the Japanese filmed version form what I've heard it is shot from differnt angles than the released version. Part of teh documentry coudl include the shows he did in Hawaii in 1972 I've read they were like a practice run for the Aloha show.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

documentary on the special.
    I would put the 5 Hawaiian bonus songs onto DISC 2 which would be more in line with historical accuracy as Elvis recorded these songs after the main show.

And would it kill them to FINALLY release the Aloha concert with the missing 8 seconds of Elvis footage from the show included? It was shown on the Japanese broadcast, so why has it always been cut out of all official video/DVD releases?

Coming On Strong

I prefer the sponeeneity and fun of other concerts both before and after

I think it's inevitable that ALOHA will get similar treatment to "Prince From Another Planet" what an exciting prospect!!!

Plus the Hilton press conference cleaned up from the ALOHA special Edition (Easter Egg) that would be something Elvis in the cool white suit and those amazing white/brown check boots...

If they ever re-release it, I just want them to get the stupid audio RIGHT where we can hear the background singers WITH Elvis and not like they are in a barrel somewhere else in the arena! That's one part where they really screwed up, IMO! Being a performer myself, I'm like Elvis: "If my vocals are out front, I want the backing singers OUT FRONT WITH ME!"

Am I wrong in thinking that this was also his 2nd biggest live audience in one sitting?

I could be wrong Jenni, but the HIC (Neil Blaisdell) isn't that big inside. I've not been inside (only wrapped myself around Elvis outside.......lol) think it holds around 2000 people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast