Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever wondered why so many dislike Marty Lacker?

Ever wondered why so many dislike Marty Lacker?

Go to the following link http://elvis-express.com/elvisradio_askmarty17.html to the Ask Marty page and you'll see why. The guy comes off as a total jerk. Even says Elvis would have slapped the hell out of Lisa for what she did to Billy Smith. He's always been a bitter old man. Slams Klein and others who don't kiss the Mafia's butt.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Ever wondered why so many dislike Marty Lacker?

Well, I kind of like all his stories and the other guys in the Mafia. I think they have a lot more truth in them than the guys he calls "*ss kissers". I believe he is right about that. I loved Jerry Schilling’s book but he does like to stay on the good side of Priscilla and Lisa. A little of George Klein goes a long way with me. How many times when he is on Elvis radio does he mention his freaking book, drives me crazy. That guy loves to hear himself talk.

So, I like to hear things that sound truthful to me. It’s better than hearing "oh Priscilla will like me better because I said this". When Marty says about slapping Priscilla and Lisa over Billy and other people, that I'm not to sure about but I do think Lisa is starting to realize that her mom has pushed her away from certain things and people over the years.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Well, I kind of like all his stories and the other guys in the Mafia. I think they have a lot more truth in them than the guys he calls "*ss kissers". I believe he is right about that. I loved Jerry Schilling’s book but he does like to stay on the good side of Priscilla and Lisa. A little of George Klein goes a long way with me. How many times when he is on Elvis radio does he mention his freaking book, drives me crazy. That guy loves to hear himself talk.

So, I like to hear things that sound truthful to me. It’s better than hearing "oh Priscilla will like me better because I said this". When Marty says about slapping Priscilla and Lisa over Billy and other people, that I'm not to sure about but I do think Lisa is starting to realize that her mom has pushed her away from certain things and people over the years.
    Marty's sarcastic and always arrogant attitude is a big turn off for me. How can anyone trust or believe someone like that? Just because they were there, Elvis fans in general act as if they are the disciples to Jesus and their word is the truth. I find them, most of them fake as hell and only living today off of Elvis' legacy. They have brainwashed a lot of naive fans over the years. Thankfully the younger generation isn't buying their stories. They act like they are just as important to the Elvis story as he is. I would rather sit and talk with Elvis' gardener than I would those hangerons.

Well no matter how you take Marty, or Red, or Sonny-the fact is "they were there" that is a fact that just can not be denied and they have their own takes on what happened.....I have always said each persons take on any given event-is different and it is "filtered thru the ego and inner self" of each individual.
    We all tend to play up our own parts in our history involving others and downplay others...its a human trait....not necessarily a conscious thing-but it is the way people are.
    When ten people tell a story where the basic facts are true-but details emerge which are conflicting-that does not make all ten liars...it means they just saw it as they saw it.
    Marty is no different-Elvis would be no different-his stories would be "filtered thru his ego and inner self"
    I use to dislike all the MM-but having read enough and listened enough they all tell similar stories about the good and bad of Elvis-he was no saint, they were not saints either.....but for all the books I have read, all the interviews I have heard, all the videos I have watched-it can not compare with what these guys actually saw, they actully lived, breathed and ate with Elvis-no matter how arrogant or self-serving they may sound-that is a huge trump card they carry against-any fan.
    I think Marty gets tired of people trying to tell him things-that he actually lived and saw....in the way they actually happened in his eyes.
    Some of these guys use more tact and more grace when they tell things, others hit you over the head....I prefer a little tact myself.
    Work in Progress!

Mad Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Marty's sarcastic and always arrogant attitude is a big turn off for me. How can anyone trust or believe someone like that? Just because they were there, Elvis fans in general act as if they are the disciples to Jesus and their word is the truth. I find them, most of them fake as hell and only living today off of Elvis' legacy. They have brainwashed a lot of naive fans over the years. Thankfully the younger generation isn't buying their stories. They act like they are just as important to the Elvis story as he is. I would rather sit and talk with Elvis' gardener than I would those hangerons.
    I seldom agree with some things you say....but, when it comes to Marty I do. See if you can find a book that's supposedly Marty's. "Elvis Portrait of a Friend " 1979 by Leslie S Smith. IF some had read that maybe they're realize Marty nor many of the others could possibly know what they're talking about. They were in the same shape as Elvis...maybe worse.

it's like everyone who was around Elvis.................take a little bit of something that they all say, use common sense to filter bits out and maybe you get 'some' truth there
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
    I seldom agree with some things you say....but, when it comes to Marty I do. See if you can find a book that's supposedly Marty's. "Elvis Portrait of a Friend " 1979 by Leslie S Smith. IF some had read that maybe they're realize Marty nor many of the others could possibly know what they're talking about. They were in the same shape as Elvis...maybe worse.
    I have read that book, and it paints a horrid picture of Martys own drug problem during those years.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
    That's just it. He and some others act as if they were saints and angels compared to Elvis. They question his demise and his choises he made but never admit to their own faults. I remember Nancy Rooks, Elvis' cook, speaking about how the Mafia guys were doing illegal things (drugs) and were a bad influence on him and how the cooks and maids went to him about firing them, which he eventually did. If anyone would know, it would be the inside help at Graceland.

Lisa marie herself has publicly commented on the guys bringing girls to Graceland for their own pleasures that were not much older than she was. Which would be child molesting if that were the case, as Lisa was just 9 when he passed.

He won't talk to me anymore and he knows very well who I am, I busted him on so many lies or information he'd tell websites proving how off he was on a topic or details regarding songs and movies. Also let's keep in mind that some of these guys might not remember half the stuff cause they were heavier drug users than Elvis ever was.
    I wished he'd stop saying and he's been saying this for over ten years, how Elvis did not like all of his movies. If that was true, why would he bring up songs out of the blue in concert later. King Creole was a major accomplishment and so was Follow That Dream. Two completely different roles.

If you enjoy reading post's and books by him just keep in mind that it might not all be accurate. I still enjoy it but have my guard up.
    There is Only One Elvis

He might not be 100% accurate, nobody can, everybody just gives its own perspective. I do value anyhow that from his point of view he just tells it like it is, no sugar "Parker/Pricilla" coating like.

I always thought that Marty was a little narrow minded. Especialy when he talks about Larry Geller and Elvis' interest in eastern philosophy which he sometimes kindly refers to as 'california cult crap'. On the other hand I don't know the man and nobody needs to be perfect. And know it's always a difficult issue.
    Faith, Spirit, Discipline and Endurance!

Mad Tigers

Quantities during a 46 month period 6,464 Placidyls, 3,204 Darvon, 1,508 Hycomine ,708 Emperin Codeine,#3.

500 Dalmane, 400 Valium, 216, Darvocet, 200 Valmid, and assorted pills which were not important....total 13,291 pills.

in roughly 1300 days ....average is 10 a day.....

Dr Nick wrote the prescriptions ... these were for Marty Lacker ..

I'm not saying Elvis didn't take meds....& over -do them as well......but can see why Lisa would be mad & not want anything to do with them.....

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    That's just it. He and some others act as if they were saints and angels compared to Elvis. They question his demise and his choises he made but never admit to their own faults. I remember Nancy Rooks, Elvis' cook, speaking about how the Mafia guys were doing illegal things (drugs) and were a bad influence on him and how the cooks and maids went to him about firing them, which he eventually did. If anyone would know, it would be the inside help at Graceland.

Lisa marie herself has publicly commented on the guys bringing girls to Graceland for their own pleasures that were not much older than she was. Which would be child molesting if that were the case, as Lisa was just 9 when he passed.
    As Jeanine points out in reference to Lackers book from 79-Lacker does admit he was doing as many drugs as Elvis so he is not claiming to be a saint....although I admit he seems to play up his end of everything....but like I said who doesn't.......very few people can tell a story without tipping it their direction.
    IMO it may be a time in general to.......let all the negative energy that is thrown at the MM go....they were living in his actual presense, not thru books, stories, one time meetings etc....they were there and saw him warts and all...they to a one credit his generosity, his kindness, his love of fans, his patriotism, his wanting to make people happy.........but like I said I like a little tact and understanding when the bad side is written or spoken about and sometimes that is greatly lacking.
    Work in Progress!

That was always the problem with me on believing anything the mafia said. Marty being the exception, the rest downplayed their intake of drugs if mentioned at all so how can anyone take their words as God's being in that condition? And how do we know that they weren't one of the driving forces to Elvis' addiction along with what he took in the army? The only difference was that Elvis went the prescription route thinking it was safe instead of their street drugs PLUS prescriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    As Jeanine points out in reference to Lackers book from 79-Lacker does admit he was doing as many drugs as Elvis so he is not claiming to be a saint....although I admit he seems to play up his end of everything....but like I said who doesn't.......very few people can tell a story without tipping it their direction.
    IMO it may be a time in general to.......let all the negative energy that is thrown at the MM go....they were living in his actual presense, not thru books, stories, one time meetings etc....they were there and saw him warts and all...they to a one credit his generosity, his kindness, his love of fans, his patriotism, his wanting to make people happy.........but like I said I like a little tact and understanding when the bad side is written or spoken about and sometimes that is greatly lacking.
    very astute post Ken, that about sums it up
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    That was always the problem with me on believing anything the mafia said. Marty being the exception, the rest downplayed their intake of drugs if mentioned at all so how can anyone take their words as God's being in that condition? And how do we know that they weren't one of the driving forces to Elvis' addiction along with what he took in the army? The only difference was that Elvis went the prescription route thinking it was safe instead of their street drugs PLUS prescriptions.
    I use to dislike them all with a passion, like I mentioned they filter their memories thru their egos, but after reading nearing 70 books on Elvis and listenening to differing interviews I have come to the conclusion that the basic story is too similar to be all lies.
    Their motives for writing the books are always "to tell their story"-but really its money. But I guess I have mellowed some, to quote Elvis from "Wild In the Country".......
    "hates like a snake biting its own tail"
    Over time I have tried to see their sides, their problems, their difficulties in the situation they were in-they could have quit (and overtime many were fired or quit).....but Elvis always wanted them back and they wanted to come back-almost like a disfunctional marriage.
    They fed off Elvis, and Elvis should have got real professional accountants, bodyguards, travel secretaries, tour managers etc......for his needs as a superstar who had many jobs to be filled-but he went the good old boy route-hiring friends he felt comfortable around........never works, employees as friends, bosses as friends the lines blur and people get attitudes and problems develope. Elvis wondered if they were using him, and they wondered if Elvis would ask real outside employees to do the things he asked of them 24/7.
    I once asked Marty,
    "wouldn't Elvis also have a side to the story you guys tell and how would you feel if Elvis wrote a book on you, Red or all of you and gave his personal take on them"
    Marty said he was sure Elvis would tell a different story from his view.....and he asked me what I was implying...I told him that its was easy to tell a story when the other party can not rebute it.
    Elvis does not have that chance, but I also remind myself that he was human...he would have his own personal filters to tell his story thru.
    The one MM that I really have a problem with was Lamar-he once told a story about being on the Lisa Marie in Elvis' bedroom on the plane and how Elvis was having trouble putting on a some pants or a jumpsuit-that was just a little too small-and Lamar supposedly called Elvis "fat a$$" and Elvis supposedly replied "You been waiting years to call me that" and laughed.
    That story just did not sound true-I could not imagine anyone let alone Lamar calling Elvis fat a$$ to his face and then Elvis laughing about it.
    Lamar also helped on the Goldman book with many horrid angles and stories that were not just tactless but downright mean in spirit.
    But we all have our thoughts on these people as a group and individually.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I use to dislike them all with a passion, like I mentioned they filter their memories thru their egos, but after reading nearing 70 books on Elvis and listenening to differing interviews I have come to the conclusion that the basic story is too similar to be all lies.
    Their motives for writing the books are always "to tell their story"-but really its money. But I guess I have mellowed some, to quote Elvis from "Wild In the Country".......
    "hates like a snake biting its own tail"
    Over time I have tried to see their sides, their problems, their difficulties in the situation they were in-they could have quit (and overtime many were fired or quit).....but Elvis always wanted them back and they wanted to come back-almost like a disfunctional marriage.
    They fed off Elvis, and Elvis should have got real professional accountants, bodyguards, travel secretaries, tour managers etc......for his needs as a superstar who had many jobs to be filled-but he went the good old boy route-hiring friends he felt comfortable around........never works, employees as friends, bosses as friends the lines blur and people get attitudes and problems develope. Elvis wondered if they were using him, and they wondered if Elvis would ask real outside employees to do the things he asked of them 24/7.
    I once asked Marty,
    "wouldn't Elvis also have a side to the story you guys tell and how would you feel if Elvis wrote a book on you, Red or all of you and gave his personal take on them"
    Marty said he was sure Elvis would tell a different story from his view.....and he asked me what I was implying...I told him that its was easy to tell a story when the other party can not rebute it.
    Elvis does not have that chance, but I also remind myself that he was human...he would have his own personal filters to tell his story thru.
    The one MM that I really have a problem with was Lamar-he once told a story about being on the Lisa Marie in Elvis' bedroom on the plane and how Elvis was having trouble putting on a some pants or a jumpsuit-that was just a little too small-and Lamar supposedly called Elvis "fat a$$" and Elvis supposedly replied "You been waiting years to call me that" and laughed.
    That story just did not sound true-I could not imagine anyone let alone Lamar calling Elvis fat a$$ to his face and then Elvis laughing about it.
    Lamar also helped on the Goldman book with many horrid angles and stories that were not just tactless but downright mean in spirit.
    But we all have our thoughts on these people as a group and individually.
    that is my main thought.....he can't answer back, which doesn't seem fair

Yes I agree with Ken too. I also believe that their views of things that they said happened were very slanted. Although I'm sure they didn't always have it easy working for Elvis but they sure had more freedom and "perks" than they would have had anywhere else and no other employer would have put up with their highjinks. The very least they could have done was to be respectful towards the man who carried them on his back for years.
    Yes if we were able to get Elvis' view on things, it would also be slightly slanted but I believe he would have been more honest and respectful about what he said about anyone. I don't think it was in his nature to use someone else to make himself look better.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

I might be in a small circle but I like the uncoated side that Marty has to offer, not always the most eloquent of speakers but you get the feeling under the bravado that he tell's more of the truth than some of the others who prefer to put themselves on a pedestal and downplay their own demons and addictions.

There might be more honesty from Marty in his own crude way, but gee I find him hard to listen to.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast