Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTD's ... to many ... to soon ?

Whatever the result it is going to be fantastic to have these released together as a package .... and im so pleased that you too think that there is some magic surrounding the Today album ... ive always thought so.

Are we too soon to see a glimpse of the proposed cover art ?

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    I see. No, you weren't confusing (except for the mention of Close Up ); I just didn't recognize all of those as being previously released. My mistake.

I'm still very excited about this one though.

Am I correct to interpret 'original session mixes' as undubbed masters? Between those and the new mixes, whew! Both are something I have been wanting to hear for quite some time. Either would have been great, but getting both of them is fantastic!

Then having all the outtakes together on one release is just a nice bonus.
    As far as I know buddy, you are correct in your interpretation of "original session mixes"....according to what I have read and the way I understand it, we will be hearing the songs JUST the way Elvis heard them IN THE STUDIO before they were subjected to all of those overdubs!!! Personally, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THOSE!!!!

And you are right....having the original album plus the undubbed masters plus all of the outtakes all together on one release is DEFINITELY going to be AWESOME!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis
    Whatever the result it is going to be fantastic to have these released together as a package .... and im so pleased that you too think that there is some magic surrounding the Today album ... ive always thought so.

Are we too soon to see a glimpse of the proposed cover art ?
    ABSOLUTELY DENNYELVIS!!!

As I've said before, the TODAY album is hands-down my favorite Elvis album of all time....this album has it all!! Rock n' roll, country, blues, ballads....it's just a sensational album and one that I can listen to over and over again!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT until the FTD version is released....only 69 more days to go!!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76
    ...we will be hearing the songs JUST the way Elvis heard them IN THE STUDIO before they were subjected to all of those overdubs!
    ...and undubs too, right? I'm assuming Duke Bardwell's parts will be restored. (Poor ol' Duke.)

The two biggest things for me about this are, firstly, as you said, hearing them without the overdubs. The second thing, which is equally if not more significant in my mind, is what I hope will be the undoing of the wicked, evil compression that was way overdone on this album.

The Today album is definitely a favorite of mine, but how the compression affects Elvis' vocals has always been a sore spot for me. Long before I knew anything about compression, I thought Elvis sounded a little odd, just a little nasal and too high-pitched on that album--some songs more than others. Though I love it, that was my initial impression whenever I first heard T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

Then when 6363 Sunset came out and I heard take 1 of that song, though it contained a couple minor vocal miscues, I was blown away by it and realized, "This is how the master should sound!"

In some interview Ernst did a few years ago, he explained how on some 70s material, compression had been applied to Elvis' vocal, and then again to the entire track! Surely Today featured some examples of this.

So anyway, I see this upcoming release as an opportunity to right some of these wrongs from the past, and make an already great album much better...as good as it should have been the first time around.

(And if you think you're experiencing d?j? vu, you're not. I've probably said essentially the same thing 2 or 3 times in the past. So sorry for sounding like a broken record, but it's a big issue for me...obviously.)
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Back to the original subject of this thread, in case you didn't see this in the news section:

FTD Update

FTD has to change their release schedule for their releases. There are several reasons for this, but the most important one is the time factor. The pressure to deliver higher quality and a substantial number of releases, is more than they can handle within the time constraints. By sticking to four release dates only, a good portion of the time consuming non creative work will be limited.
    They return to a policy of 4 release dates per year: January, April, July and October. They aim to have the product ready for release around the first of each of these months. They will release the regular digipack releases each quarter and in most cases there will be extra
    releases coming out at the same time: "Classic Albums", books or other projects.

The new release dates are as follows:

April 1st:
    The Live In Las Vegas 1975 Soundboard - no title yet;
    Rockin' Across Texas - Stanley Oberst's book with 2 soundboards;
    Elvis Is Back - 2 CD Classic album;

July 1st
    A yet to be determined regular release;
    Today - 2 CD Classic album;

FTD is also working on many other projects. The SUN book/CD
    project is in the final stages of research. Several classic albums are in the works including Clambake, Something For Everybody, and Raised On Rock.

Source: Elvis Unlimited / updated: January 24, 2005
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I'm also really looking forward for the Sun book/cd. To bad it is postponed a view times, but maybe that means it is going to be good.

Re: FTD's ... to many ... to soon ?

I really don't think the FTD releases are a rip off. You have to include the "OPriginal Album" songs, since you need to be able to compare them to the outtakes. And for new fans collectors this also offers the opportunity to get the album without needing to buy a separate CD.

When it comes to quality I'm too satisfied: Very often the CDs are not properly centered on the panel, with many 70s releases the orange of the label has nothing to do with the Victor orange (c.f. official sony releases whose colours are perfect). And too many misprints (So High, Destination USA, Girl Happy 1st Version to name a few). It's sometimes hard to get the corrected prints, especially when buying at different shops... Content wise they are usually great - they ought to keep a bit more of the available studio talk.

The sound definitely depends on the guys responsible for it - sometimes I really hate it if horns and singers are almost not audible. That might serve the rock-feeling but the original arrangement and, besides, what Elvis liked was a choir/ orchestra arrangement. But this has improved over the last releases...

All in all I'll keep buying them - also 21 is not really expensive for a 2CD in a big digipack...

TCB,

Thomas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12