Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The King Is Dead, Long Live the King.

Loving elvis

The King Is Dead, Long Live the King.

ELVIS PRESLEY, his eyes closed, his dark hair brushed back off his forehead, wearing a white suit, a light blue shirt and a white tie, lay in a coffin opened from the top of his head to the middle of his chest as tens of thousands of men, women and children jostled in the summer heat for a chance to get in.

This was Aug. 17, 1977. Presley had been found unconscious the day before in the bathroom of Graceland, his home in Memphis, on the eve of a concert tour he had been in no physical shape to undertake. Now, dead at 42, he lay in repose in the foyer. To protect the red carpeting from the bottoms of the shoes of the thousands of strangers who would be filing past, someone had spread white sheets over the floor.

For those of us who were present at Graceland that day to report the story, it seemed barely conceivable that Presley’s father, Vernon, had made this decision: to open the property’s white gates, decorated with green metal guitars and musical notes, and summon all those who could push their way in to stand and stare at his son. It was an invitation to chaos. Presley, who during his lifetime had endlessly been referred to as an idol, was turned into a literal one. People gasped and cried, spoke aloud to themselves and prayed as they looked down at his body.

In Los Angeles today, at the Staples Center, the public memorial service for Michael Jackson is scheduled to be held. Whatever may or may not transpire, there is precedent for such an outpouring, and the precedent was established that day in Memphis.

In the years before Presley’s death, the grounds of Graceland had been off limits to virtually everyone except his family and trusted buddies. So to see it for the first time was something of a surprise. Graceland was situated on a congested commercial street, not a pastoral, country-manor setting; among its neighbors were a Mr. Tax income-tax-preparation storefront and a Tuffy Muffler and Brake Shop.

In the decades that would follow, the house at 3764 Elvis Presley Boulevard would become one of America’s most visited tourist attractions. But as Presley lay in the foyer, few had seen the grounds beyond the gates.

Perhaps elaborate marketing plans were already being formulated, even before Presley was buried; perhaps that was what opening Graceland to the public that August day was all about. Col. Tom Parker, Presley’s longtime manager, famously said to some business associates, in the hours after his client died: “This changes nothing.”

As cynical as the words may have sounded at the time, they were prescient. Presley, in death, became an enormous earner, a new kind of profit center. Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson’s father, within three days of his son’s death told an interviewer: “Right now, he’s bigger than ever.” Some lessons stick.

At Graceland that day, the people who had fainted on Elvis Presley Boulevard as they waited to get in were the recipients of a bonus: they did, indeed, secure priority entry; they were carried through the gates by paramedics and were laid carefully on Presley’s lawn. As the crowd swelled by the minute, threatening to overwhelm the police, the faint flicker of a realization began to occur: the next phase of a career was, in fact, being born.

There were, of course, many distinctions between Elvis Presley, who seemed to find his only security inside the walls of the home where he lived and died, and Michael Jackson, who was, at the end, an itinerant, long gone from the Neverland compound the world associated with him. But there remains between them a connective thread, that unsettling feeling of tragedy as career propellant. The men may have been dead; the frenzy had new life.

In Memphis that day, a baby-blue golf cart, driven by a Graceland staff member, zipped around the periphery of the line of mourners. On the back of the cart, half torn off, was a sticker that read: “I’m Just Crazy About Elvis Presley.” On the side was painted one word, “Lisa,” in honor of Presley’s daughter, the future wife of Michael Jackson.

Seven steps into the foyer, there was Presley, at peace, or some semblance of it. The sounds of sobbing filled the little room as each fresh wave of fans caught sight of him. He seemed defenseless: not in the traditional sense, for no one could hurt him now, but defenseless against all that was to come.

Bob Greene is the author of “Late Edition: A Love Story.”

Source:http://www.epgold.com/

Re: The King Is Dead, Long Live the King.

Thank you presley31, i enjoyed reading this!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

That really was good, touching reading.... thanks for sharing this article
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

If I had been there I don't actually think I could have looked at him in his coffin. I don't think I could have coped.

.... for the read..good article
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Great article! Loved it!

understand

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    If I had been there I don't actually think I could have looked at him in his coffin. I don't think I could have coped.
    I understand that; born after he died I can't even bear the thought and I would just break down in tears.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

great read!!!
    Play it James!

I'm telling you it was completely different when Elvis died in comparison to Micheal Jackson. It was pandemonium everywhere. I remember walking in to the store down the block and seeing people crying everywhere. It was like we had lost a family member. Elvis in my opinion touched a lot more people on a down to earth way. In spite of his lavished life style, Elvis was the epitome of the average American at the same time reaching the Europeans & Asians..etc...the same way.

People I know always ask me, what do you think of Micheal Jackson? knowing I'm an Elvis fan, I answer by asking them the same question, they reply, "There's Only One King, that's Elvis.'" I tell them what Brook Shields said at the Memorial, Brook said it all, "he,(Micheal Jackson), was more like a Prince."
    Elvis not only took over the music industry in his lifetime but he also took over the movie industry. That's not even mentioning the fact that Elvis sang so many different styles in life.
    As for record sales after he died. Could you imaging if they had iTunes and a credit cards available then like they do now?

Graceland/EPE better step it up and find out how to get ahead of this Micheal Jackson parade cause before you know it, Neverland is going to be another Graceland. The Jackson brothers are fighting to have his body buried there while his mother is requesting to accept Micheal's wishes when he said, he never wanted to return to Neverland. There was a cement truck 2 days after he died that pulled into Neverland my guess is that it was for where they're going to lay the body. It just takes a few weeks to get it approved by the City.

LONG LIVE KING ELVIS FOREVER!!!!!!

Love and Miss him

Graceland/EPE better step it up and find out how to get ahead of this Micheal Jackson parade cause before you know it, Neverland is going to be another Graceland. The Jackson brothers are fighting to have his body buried there while his mother is requesting to accept Micheal's wishes when he said, he never wanted to return to Neverland. There was a cement truck 2 days after he died that pulled into Neverland my guess is that it was for where they're going to lay the body. It just takes a few weeks to get it approved by the City.

It does not matter one bit to me if they do the same with neverland that has been done with graceland, only the mj fans will go to neverland and elvis fans to graceland... what do you mean get ahead of this mj parade?
    elvislady

Quote Originally Posted by elvislady View Post
    what do you mean get ahead of this mj parade?
    elvislady
    They are trying to re-write history already in calling,MJ, "The King" that's only one statement I have an issue with among others. They are trying to overshadow all the titles and stuff Elvis is known for and give MJ the credit.
    If Graceland doesn't come up with some new ideas on how to counteract all all this hype or at least level the playing field. Soon The media & people will stoop as low as saying, MJ was the true king of rock n roll as well.

We already had a Rolling Stones writer on CNN boldly saying," Micheal was bigger than Elvis, look at Thriller's LP sales, no one can't argue that he's surpassed Elvis and was the true king". Elvis helped with opening the doors for the Jackson 5 or Motown to even get airplay on prime time comercial radio stations.

Lately EPE's only great achievements in successfully keeping Elvis in the public eye was, Lilo & Stitch and the remix of Little Less Conversation. His name appears in a lot of movies but doesn't really make a strong impact.
    They should find a way to do away with all the goofy images these Impersonators put out. Only the ones that look like him should be allowed or have permission to be on TV or the movies. Micheal St. Garald & Kurt Russel in my opinion looked respectfully enough like Elvis.

I know most people on here feel that Elvis' legacy is alive and well and feel that we don't need to worry about loosing it but I hate seeing people trying to publicly destroy what little positive impressions we have of him for new fans to keep him alive.

I'm just so thankful to have such a great place like TCB-WORLD to visit with others that appreciate all that Elvis has done.
    Last edited by TCB4ELVIS; 07-09-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo

out of respect I tried not to answer any of those comparisons betwen the real king and Mr Jackson but it is sure some people trying to use this M.Jackson's early(?) death as an opportunity to reproduce him(for the $ sake most probably),turn him into someone more and bigger than who he is.There won't be another Elvis because he was the real thing,he had his name" the king" naturally even he never liked it ,not by forcing it wearing crowns for photo sessions or royalty symbols embroidered here and there on his clothes or keeping himself away from people if they were some kinda disease or giving an image of a fragile or holy person you shouldn't touch or look at the unnatural face protected behind a mask.As for music and voice,well only Jackson's fans may know what they enjoy and if they're happy they're happy,it's ok with me.Obviously opposite lives and characters and achievements are nothing to compare with.. it's just crazy..Elvis's was a funeral and his fans were mourning at that time with all their sincerity,some of them even saw their man for the last time but Jackson's fans still arguing if he was in the coffin or not..what I saw in M.Jackson long planned and organized memorial show made me sick and sad at the same time,again I realized what people and world came to.Smiling happy faces holding their tickets cheering each other because they won!!as if it's possible to win anything by the loss of a loved one..oh what a sight not to see..so why this comparison of Elvis and him or their homes or whatever still going on,there is nothing similar in the way they lived or died or the impact they made..onemore thing,Elvis was a white person in the thoughest days of racism and he dared to make black music and made people see it was the real thing to enjoy and it was America's own,nothing to reject or avoid of,still some dare to call him racist and it's beyond my understanding.On the other hand M.Jackson even changes his natural skin colour if it's something to regret and again some people say he made too much for black people and united b&w ???..sorry for pouring out so much here and as I said I don't have any problem with Jackson's fans or himself but just had enough with this nonsense.There's no second time with some phenomena.
    Last edited by 4THEHEART; 07-10-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks, for sharing that article Jen.
    I enjoyed reading it.

franny

Quote Originally Posted by elvislady View Post

It does not matter one bit to me if they do the same with neverland that has been done with graceland, only the mj fans will go to neverland and elvis fans to graceland... what do you mean get ahead of this mj parade?
    elvislady
    I just don't understand why everyone is mourning this child molester
    I may lose a few friends here but it is the truth.....
    Son if you ever say another derogatory word about Elvis Aaron Presley I WILL KICK THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF YOU!~

Thanks,Jen.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

Backstage Pass

Thanks for sharing the article, very touching.

that's a nice article, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dstrattenfan View Post
    I loved MJ's voice when he was little all the way up to the OFF THE WALL LP, vocally and musically I respect his talent but you didn't lose a friend in me by stating a fact here.

What if Elvis changed his skin color to black and made his nose disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by dstrattenfan View Post
    Inocent until proven guilty...i do not believe for one minute micheal jackson commited these terrible acts!
    elvislady

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    out of respect I tried not to answer any of those comparisons betwen the real king and Mr Jackson but it is sure some people trying to use this M.Jackson's early(?) death as an opportunity to reproduce him(for the $ sake most probably),turn him into someone more and bigger than who he is.There won't be another Elvis because he was the real thing,he had his name" the king" naturally even he never liked it ,not by forcing it wearing crowns for photo sessions or royalty symbols embroidered here and there on his clothes or keeping himself away from people if they were some kinda disease or giving an image of a fragile or holy person you shouldn't touch or look at the unnatural face protected behind a mask.As for music and voice,well only Jackson's fans may know what they enjoy and if they're happy they're happy,it's ok with me.Obviously opposite lives and characters and achievements are nothing to compare with.. it's just crazy..Elvis's was a funeral and his fans were mourning at that time with all their sincerity,some of them even saw their man for the last time but Jackson's fans still arguing if he was in the coffin or not..what I saw in M.Jackson long planned and organized memorial show made me sick and sad at the same time,again I realized what people and world came to.Smiling happy faces holding their tickets cheering each other because they won!!as if it's possible to win anything by the loss of a loved one..oh what a sight not to see..so why this comparison of Elvis and him or their homes or whatever still going on,there is nothing similar in the way they lived or died or the impact they made..onemore thing,Elvis was a white person in the thoughest days of racism and he dared to make black music and made people see it was the real thing to enjoy and it was America's own,nothing to reject or avoid of,still some dare to call him racist and it's beyond my understanding.On the other hand M.Jackson even changes his natural skin colour if it's something to regret and again some people say he made too much for black people and united b&w ???..sorry for pouring out so much here and as I said I don't have any problem with Jackson's fans or himself but just had enough with this nonsense.There's no second time with some phenomena.

"NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast