Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clambake, Reappraised.

Clambake, Reappraised.

Clambake has become a byword for the degeneration of Elvis's film career. Critics who haven't even taken the time to familiarize themselves with his movie legacy are quick to reference it, as if the name alone is evidence enough of how a man who once embodied cool rebellion descended into playful farce.
    Elvis himself is said to have become overwhelmed with depression upon being presented with the script, and maybe just knowing about his personal turmoil at the time has the effect of casting a shadow over it's tropical locations, gentle 'trading places' plot and the overall frenzy of grilled seafood and song.

But how do we feel about Clambake?

It's a good looking movie, so I wasn't at all surprised when MGM HD selected it for one of the earliest High Definition broadcasts of his films. Like a lot of late-60s cinema, it's a kaleidoscope of saturated colors, and if you want to see Elvis and Shelley Fabares romping on crudely blue-screened waterskis, you might as well get a proper look.

The soundtrack is hit-and-miss at best and the shambolic mix of the title tune is especially unforgivable in the movie itself, but there are redeeming moments in the slower, more reflective numbers.

The bottom line for me is that it's one of my most frequently viewed of his films. The weaknesses are part of what makes it so 'watchable', whether you're trying to spot the fabled band-aid on his forehead or marveling at the spectacle of Elvis on top of a climbing frame, pretending to shoot a playground full of children before turning his invisible gun on himself.

His embarrassment is conspicuous in some scenes and he's clearly not in his best physical condition, but it's easier to live with this when you remind yourself that within a year of Clambake's release, the Comeback Special was nestled 'in the can' like a coiled snake, waiting to deliver his rebirth as the lean-hipped sex-god of rock'n'roll in a single potent strike. After all, Clambake could be regarded as one of the triggers for this overdue renaissance, since it effectively focused Elvis's creeping dissatisfaction with his career's decadent malaise in a way which he could no longer ignore.

So with all things considered, is Clambake the catastrophe which it's so readily flagged-up to be? I admit that it is better enjoyed in hindsight, since movie-goers in the day possibly felt like they were witnessing the end of the road- but is anyone else here able to concede that they have a secret affection for Clambake?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clambake.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	31955
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Re: Clambake, Reappraised.

I agree with you 100% Teddy!!!

While we all know that CLAMBAKE (both the movie and soundtrack) were certainly not going to win any awards, it is just a good clean fun type of movie. Yes the script could have been better, and the some of the songs certainly could have been improved upon, but still...looking back on it now, CLAMBAKE certainly does not deserve all of the negative press that it has received over the years.

Just look at the positives...a quality co-starring cast with Shelley Fabares (my favorite Elvis leading lady), Bill Bixby and Will Hutchins (very funny!) and a soundtrack with a couple of great and (in my opinion) underrated ballads - YOU DON'T KNOW ME and THE GIRL I NEVER LOVED.

Just a good old fashioned musical...sometimes it's nice to just get lost for 90 minutes in one of these!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

typical..

I like the song "a house that has everything". Was it part of clambake's soundtrack, I believe so..? It's a typical 60's movie where you get female behinds all over your face. It's not as evil as Sesamestreet, but comes close.

The movie is probably as bad as "live a little, love a little". They make "paradise; hawaiian style" and "easy come, easy go" look good.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Even though this movie was one of Elvis' final straws to finally making a comeback with live appearances it had some enjoyable songs. Elvis just had that voice that made you want to stop and listen to him sing. I really can't enjoy it. I tried watching it yesterday on my Tivo and ended up changing it after they sang, "who needs money". Of course I sang along with it, making everyone in the laugh at me for putting them words in my memory roladex...lol
    I remember as a kid listening to the soundtrack. I would play the Guitar Man, Clambake, House That has everything, then skip to the other said," You don't know me" then skip again to, "Singing Tree" and "Just Call me Lonesome".
    Later on in life I would come to know that those bonus tracks including,"You don't know me" where recorded in Nashville for single or non-soundtrack LP release.
    They did the same thing with the bonus songs on, "Fun In Acapulco", 'Kissin' Cousins","Double Trouble" & "SPINOUT". Elvis could have been known for having at least two more Classic LPs under his belt.

I love the release of 1999 CD,"Tomorrow Is a Long Time". Jerry Reed really adds a lot flavor & Compliments a lot of Elvis' subtle approach to these songs. I believe if this was released as Double LP in 1968, it would have helped put Elvis back on the contemporary recording map. Leading to his next two hit LPs, ELVIS,NBC Special" and "From Elvis in Memphis". When putting these songs together it to me showed that this man wasn't out of touch with what was going on at that time but freely chose to try and go a different direction than other artist's where.

Track List: Tomorrow Is a Long Time

1. Too Much Monkey Business
    2. Guitar Man
    3. Tomorrow Is A Long Time
    4. U.S. Male
    5. Big Boss Man
    6. Love Letters
    7. Indescribably Blue
    8. Fools Fall In Love
    9. Hi-Heel Sneakers

10. Down In The Alley
    11. Come What May
    12. Mine
    13. Just Call Me Lonesome
    14. You Don't Know Me
    15. Stay Away
    16. Singing Tree
    17. Going Home
    18. I'll Remember You

umm..im no good when it comes to long explanations.....not one of my fav elvis movies.. only reason i like the movie is because Shelley Fabares is in itotherwise its ur typical 60's elvis movie
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 07-06-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

TCB Mafia

Clambake was a terrible film it doesn't deserve to be reappraised it is what most people say it is.

I think Live a little, love a little was better than both Easy come Easy go, Paradise Hawaiian Style and Clambake.
    The songs were better and the movie and Elvis role in it was more mature

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Clambake was a terrible film it doesn't deserve to be reappraised it is what most people say it is.

I think Live a little, love a little was better than both Easy come Easy go, Paradise Hawaiian Style and Clambake.
    The songs were better and the movie and Elvis role in it was more mature
    Totally agree Brian. Songs are fantastic, he looks soooooo sexy. What more can you ask for in a movie
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by TCB4ELVIS View Post
    I love the release of 1999 CD,"Tomorrow Is a Long Time". Jerry Reed really adds a lot flavor & Compliments a lot of Elvis' subtle approach to these songs. I believe if this was released as Double LP in 1968, it would have helped put Elvis back on the contemporary recording map. Leading to his next two hit LPs, ELVIS,NBC Special" and "From Elvis in Memphis". When putting these songs together it to me showed that this man wasn't out of touch with what was going on at that time but freely chose to try and go a different direction than other artist's where.

Track List: Tomorrow Is a Long Time

1. Too Much Monkey Business
    2. Guitar Man
    3. Tomorrow Is A Long Time
    4. U.S. Male
    5. Big Boss Man
    6. Love Letters
    7. Indescribably Blue
    8. Fools Fall In Love
    9. Hi-Heel Sneakers

10. Down In The Alley
    11. Come What May
    12. Mine
    13. Just Call Me Lonesome
    14. You Don't Know Me
    15. Stay Away
    16. Singing Tree
    17. Going Home
    18. I'll Remember You
    I have this CD it's pretty good

Elvis version of High heel sneakers is the greatest.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

I have to agree with the nay sayers, this movie is just terrible sorry

It is a silly movie, but sometimes it's good to watch a movie that you don't have to think about.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It is a silly movie, but sometimes it's good to watch a movie that you don't have to think about.
    So true Tommy! There were a lot of silly movies made in the sixties, and not just by Elvis!

i have Reappraised the movie seen it again .. final verdict
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    my Selena Website

Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    i have Reappraised the movie seen it again .. final verdict
    Is that your way of saying

Not all of Elvis' movies were good...some, I really can't sit through but, I would say the scripts were the biggest culprit!

franny

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    So true Tommy! There were a lot of silly movies made in the sixties, and not just by Elvis!
    So true!

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Is that your way of saying

Not all of Elvis' movies were good...some, I really can't sit through but, I would say the scripts were the biggest culprit!

franny
    yes it is my friend..sadly the movie is terrible.like 2 songs in the movie...like i said earlier best part of the movie was Shelley Fabares
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    my Selena Website

The movie was a disgraceful waste of Elvis' talents

this was First Elvis Movie I watch On TV after His Death , I think wasn't terribled Movie, I think The Few Songs Are, There alot Bad acting by everyone and bad editing on i the movie, I think Double Trouble is bad Movie, with good Sountrack,
    My daugther Love stay away Joe she thinks It's funny movie.
    I think that Clambake wasn't Bad Movie, It's how we see it and Understand it .
    PS One Early Elvis I don't liked Is Loving you it's only one I Real don't liked
    Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Clambake is my mom's favorite Elvis movie.Don't know why but it is.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

how ever it effects people, this movie was one of Elvis' all time lows. He even hated it. Someone once asked Marty Lacker, what movie did Elvis like watching of himself?" he said, "King Creole", I never remember him mentioning any other."
    There's no praise at all about this movie. The only praise is some of the songs on the Soundtrack that Jerry Reed played on, that never should have been released associated with a movie.
    At a time when music was changing so much Elvis should have been one of them that got recognized for his work on, Guitar Man. Maybe should have been pushed more to cultivate that style & not make more silly movies. 1965 should have been his comeback recording sessions with full focus on the music not movies. He seems to be on autopilot until the 68 comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The movie was a disgraceful waste of Elvis' talents
    Play it James!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast