great video!!!!
    Play it James!

Re: Dinner show....08/22/1969

Quote Originally Posted by molokai123 View Post
    great video!!!!
    Thanks!

Hey Rex,
    My name is on that list too -it was Gail Davis. I was so excited she got to meet Elvis. I never met Virgina but I still have that photo of her and Elvis!! I had a picture of the list of names but don't think I still have that.
    We really need to find Patricia - I'm so sad to hear she lost of her collection! I can definitely understand her losing heart over that!!! Man, that would just be horrible!

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Hey Rex, My name is on that list too -it was Gail Davis. I was so excited she got to meet Elvis. I never met Virgina but I still have that photo of her and Elvis!! I had a picture of the list of names but don't think I still have that. We really need to find Patricia - I'm so sad to hear she lost her collection! I can definitely understand her losing heart over that!!! Man, that would just be horrible!
    A real name at last, thankyou.. SO WE GOT FRAMED TOGETHER !!!

I found the re-production of the letter Virginia received from the American
    Cancer Society (5th March 1973)= Virginia did a sort of News-sheet review
    of her Elvis Meeting, with details about the Cancer Project, and Award.
    (I've scanned that below) I've seen the 5x7" pic of Elvis and her recently
    -but didn't locate them last night.. An Oval version in a German Magazine
    I've added a new background to, and a Computer Frame, matching it to
    her Top.(which is now below)

The event took place on:
    SATURDAY 17th February 1973, before the 8pm show.

Have Optical Character scanned her Review, (it was Page 5 of issue # 105
    but I don't think I got the rest of the pages) ~ to follow my post on TCB.
    Will look for Patricia's Long Island Address, but she & family may have moved.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    VIRGINIA'S REVIEW...
    Dear Elvis Fan:

Hi - just a note to relate the outcome of our efforts to honor Elvis with a Trophy for his dynamic Satellite T.V. show and the Kui Lee Cancer Fund Drive.

Our deadline was February 16th, since I had reservations to see Elvis perform at the Las Vegas Hilton on Saturday, February l7th. and had to have everything ready to take along. After the last mail delivery on Friday, my daughter,Elaine, began compiling the names of all contributors into alphabetical order - by-State and Country. These names were then typed in Capitol letters onto parchment paper - 11" x 14" - and sealed into a gold-leaf frame - to be presented to Elvis with our Trophy.

(The Trophy was engraved; "ELVIS - YOUR WORLDWIDE SATELLITE SHOW WAS DYNAMITE - WE LOVE YOU - SOME OF YOUR LOYAL FANS" - 14th Jan1973)

TOTAL COLLECTIONS - $320.40 ~ TOTAL EXPENSES - $330.00
    TROPHY $ 32.92
    ENGRAVING 8.40
    PLAQUE (FOR NAMES) 12.08
    CHECK TO CANCER FUND PHOTO FCR CONTRIBUTORS $200.00
    POSTAGE 25.00
    PARCHMENT PAPER 1.00
    ENVELOPES 6.00 ---------------Total - $330.40

Friends, who wish to remain anonymous, made up the difference between the collections and expenses - and 1 thank them. Thanks, too, to Linda Webster for a fantastic job of contacting so many fans. ......and to Delores Short, Gene Hewitt, Jim Hannaford and Y.G.

Rosemarie and Len Leech of New Jersey, (contributors,also) whom we met in Las Vegas, took a fantastic picture of THE TROPHY, THE NAME PLAQUE and the CHECK. Names are clearly visible (unless you're like me and require a magnifying glass) and Len has graciously loaned me the negative to allow everyone a chance to obtain a copy for their collection. The price is 50c, which includes postage.

Now - on to the actual presentation;
    It was just before the dinnershow on Saturday evening (about 8:30 P.M.) when I discovered that I would be allowed to present the Trophy to Elvis. Close to a nervous breakdown over this delightful developement, I soon found myself waiting in the hallway of a large dressing room area - backstage - just across from the elevator that would wisk Elvis to the stage. Armed guards admired the Trophy - saying It was prettier than an Oscar.1 But I wasn't listening to them very attentively for I could hear Elvis laughing and I knew he was in his dressing room -
    down a short hallway, and around a corner.

A door opened - there were quick, booted steps - - and Elvis was walking towards me. Needless to say, he looked his usual, handsome self even though he was still suffering from a severe touch of the flu. As you can see by the enclosed photo, he was already dressed for the stage. Mr. Tom Diskin made the , introductions and told Elvis of our donation to the Kui Lee Cancer Fund; showing him the check and telling him we were donating it in his honor. (You can see the check in Mr. Diskins hand as he handed Elvis the Trophy.) (That's the plaque, with the list of contributors, that I am holding)

Elvis accepted the Trophy - very pleased - and held it up high - turning It around and around for/inspection as he said, over and over; "It's beautiful -beautiful !" I called his attention to the plaque and he studied it for awhile, too, as he said; "Nice - very nice."

All to soon, he was given the word that he was due on stage. As he turned to enter the elevator, he smiled that preciously crooked little grin and said; "It was a beautiful thing to do. Tell everyone 'thank-you' for me." Then he was gone and a magic something in the air went with him - - to the Stage of the largest showroom in Las Vegas.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pictures: 17 Feb:'73 Elvis Meeting. + 2pics late 60s, both with Virginia, the
    Little Girl, is probably "Elaine" + then reproduction of Cancer Soc: letter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VIRGINIA 1041x1433.jpg   Viginia004.jpg   Viginia003.jpg  

Viginia001 Standard e-mail view.jpg  

Rex -
    I am so glad you joined TCB!!!!! I look forward every morning to your posts!!! And, yes, you're right it does appear we were framed together!!! lol

Forever Best Friends

Thank you Rex & Gail for walking us fans through the history. Thanks to O.P. Rosanne, too!
    I am so enjoying this thread!!!

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123