Thread: The Return to Vegas 1969

Lightbulb The Return to Vegas 1969

Just suppose Elvis had got out of the Hollywood films earlier than he did and per/say he decided his return to live Vegas sooner than 1969(lets say 1965-66) even without his '68 TV special. What do you think ? Would he still have been triumphant and what about his looks or his stagewear or song lineup ? Just what if ? Strictly a hypothetical ? Give me your opinions please...........

Thanks
    rams
    .the image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image......................

He would have performed those killer versions of "Go East Young Man" we had always wanted.

It's a difficult question to answer though. He might not have been into rock all too much at that time and that's what gave him a head start in '69 IMHO.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    He would have performed those killer versions of "Go East Young Man" we had always wanted.

"Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

It's a difficult question to answer though. He might not have been into rock all too much at that time and that's what gave him a head start in '69 IMHO.

EnigmaticSun

Don't you think Old MacDonald would have been a better choice ?
    .the image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image......................

I think "Go East Young Man" worked for the Vegas Audience in Harem Scarem so maybe lightning would have struck twice.

IMO had Elvis performed in Vegas prior to the comeback that it wouldn't have been monumental and groundbreaking as it would become following the comeback. He had so much to prove in 69. What's sad is how it all went downhill and backwards soon after the great comeback period of 68-72.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    IMO had Elvis performed in Vegas prior to the comeback that it wouldn't have been monumental and groundbreaking as it would become following the comeback. He had so much to prove in 69. What's sad is how it all went downhill and backwards soon after the great comeback period of 68-72.
    Elvislives72,

I thank You very kindly for your very intelligent reply. I wish the other post before this one were even near as close as yours with some type of substance. Hopefully others can be as creative as you were !

Again Thank You Elvislives72,
    rams

Hypothetically-It would depend on the circumstances for the return.
    I will say this there were big offers in the 60s for Elvis to perform live-Why would promotors be making big offers to Elvis? Because they felt he would be a big draw, because they felt there was an audience who wanted to see him perform. And there was a big audience wanting to see him live.
    If he had accepted a big offer in 65, I do think it would have been different from his 69 show. But I think his level of commitment to that show in 65 would have been the same and he would have had just as big success.
    IMO

..im a little off topic but .. the heck with lasvegas..blah it was great during 69- 70 then it got freakin boring...elvis should of stoped doin vegas as soon as 7o..he should instead toured the world....im pretty sure elvis got sick of playin that blah hilton hotel room....elvis singing.. and the colonel was busy with the slot machines......could of came to canada -england -australia .instead..instead
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 11-17-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

rock

Quote Originally Posted by rams View Post
    . I wish the other post before this one were even near as close as yours with some type of substance. Hopefully others can be as creative as you were !
    Hey wait a sec..

It was a constructive post. To elaborate: in 1969 Elvis was really involved with more up-tempo rock music. It's probably true that "Hound Dog", "Blue Suede Shoes" and "Jailhouse Rock" (and more recent "Suspicious Minds") are among songs to have the biggest impact. His voice and physical state of being fitted such a repertoire in '69.

When he tried more ballads in the 70's the support from crowd and press didn't always seem obvious and a change of direction wasn't welcome as it wasn't in 1974.

And furthermore.. I'm glad some members could laugh about "Go East Young Man". I suppose that especially the term "killer version" did the trick.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

And furthermore.. I'm glad some members could laugh about "Go East Young Man". I suppose that especially the term "killer version" did the trick.