Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Elvis was born 10 years later

MissyM

If Elvis was born 10 years later

That would have put him in an entirely different era. Do you think he would have been so popular? I often wonder about the timing. He became known when I think the world was waiting for someone with his kind of soul and talent.

Yes.

Because Elvis could sing all kinds.

well i think elvis came along just at theright time t.v was starting out young people were looking for an outlet without elvis the 50's would never have been as popular as it is he revolutionised music and teen culture the 60's things changed music and style but for that to happen there had to be that revolution in the 50's and i can't think of anyone else who would have done it rock&roll happened at the right time so did elvis but he came he saw he sang and he changed music and culture forever

Had he been born 10 years later - I would have been just the right age at just the right time!!

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Had he been born 10 years later - I would have been just the right age at just the right time!!
    How did I know you were going to say that ?
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    How did I know you were going to say that ?

You must be a pretty fart smeller!!!

TCB Mafia
    if Elvis would have been born later, we would still have had him with us, because medical knowledge would have been much better
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Well I dont know, if Elvis was born ten years later then that means he would have started out in the 60's, the question is would somebody already have broke down the barriers that he broke down?
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

I think only Elvis was capable of breaking those barriers,
    Guess we'd have just had to wait.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

True...but then later we would have been too old for him!

You must be a pretty fart smeller!!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Hmmm...very interesting question...

With all of the other rock n' roll artists that started around the same time as Elvis, I can't believe that one of them wouldn't have been the one that "started it all", if Elvis hadn't been the one. But then again, how many of those other artists were popular in the 50's because of Elvis??

Because Elvis was so diverse and could sing anything, even if he had been born 10 years later, I still think he would have been a force in music history...but maybe more in the R & B, country or gospel music genres!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

10 years earlier would have put him right at about Tony Bennett's age and starting right around World War II. The environment was very different, as was the entertainment industry.
    Elliot

I think that he would have been a star no matter what as long as he got connected with the right people. However, he would have been a different kind of artist because his influences would have been different. A lot of times we tend to feel like Elvis created rock 'n roll when in reality he didn't. It would have happened with or without him. However, it took a personality like him to make it take over the world. This is an impossible question to answer.
    "I always liked that hillbilly."

-Waymore

Backstage Pass President Presley's Avatar
    Buddy Holly would be the King of rock 'n roll and ELvis would be dead at the age of 32
    "Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!".
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by EP6873 View Post
    10 years earlier would have put him right at about Tony Bennett's age and starting right around World War II. The environment was very different, as was the entertainment industry.
    True...but what about 10 years later?

How can you change 10 years in time and things not come out different?
    IMO-His upbringing would have been different-1935 right after the depression times were harder, jobs scarcer, people in poverty. 1945 war time expansion at full throttle, defense jobs were plentiful and then the war is over and prosperity began which lasted into the 60s. The Presley family story would have been very different in 45. So Elvis and his upbringing may have been different, perhaps they do not move to Memphis, perhaps Vernon does not forge the check and end up in prison?????? All these things helped make Elvis-Elvis. Would he have wanted a musical career so bad if his childhood had been better? Its hard to think he would have not changed with a 10 year difference in birth.
    Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, were all near Elvis's age so they would be 10 years ahead of him and they were also blending country, blues and gospel. So he would not have been at the forefront of Rock. IMOI think 10 years could have made a big difference in who he was and what he would become.

I agree with KPM's post. Good thing Elvis wasn't born ten years later...at least for us fans. If his life would have been happier and healthier, then I would wish that he had been born later even if we didn't have all he gave us.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    How can you change 10 years in time and things not come out different?
    IMO-His upbringing would have been different-1935 right after the depression times were harder, jobs scarcer, people in poverty. 1945 war time expansion at full throttle, defense jobs were plentiful and then the war is over and prosperity began which lasted into the 60s. The Presley family story would have been very different in 45. So Elvis and his upbringing may have been different, perhaps they do not move to Memphis, perhaps Vernon does not forge the check and end up in prison?????? All these things helped make Elvis-Elvis. Would he have wanted a musical career so bad if his childhood had been better? Its hard to think he would have not changed with a 10 year difference in birth.
    Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, were all near Elvis's age so they would be 10 years ahead of him and they were also blending country, blues and gospel. So he would not have been at the forefront of Rock. IMOI think 10 years could have made a big difference in who he was and what he would become.
    That's a very insightful post KPM.You always hear that old expression "timing is everything" which would certainly hold true in the case of his career. I think he would have been a star as there is no denying the handsome face and the unbelievable voice, but I'm sure it would have been in a different capacity. That would have put him right in the middle of competing with The Rolling Stones and The Beatles.

MissyM
    I never thought of that stuff KPM- good points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast