Thread: Closing Night FTD cover art

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

Closing Night FTD cover art

I like it! What do you all think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails closingnight.jpg  
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Always liked those "monkey" pictures!

It gives the cover the same "funny" feel as the concert has, doesn't it?

Sonny

I agree that the picture on the cover does justice to the nature of the show! And yes the monkey pics are hilarious! But on the front of a cover ... no.

For some reason I can not say I like the cover very much. I've seen much better efforts on this very board! Just a feeling I have. I will look at it some more and try to give you my reasoning behind the feeling. For me it is a though!
    'Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one' - Elvis Presley

Oh, I don't doubt that one of the ultra-talented designers on this board can top it, but this design is one which I don't see as lacking in any obvious way, and it really looks good IMO.

No discussion about that is great to have this show in soundboard, I can not wait ...

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I don't believe this is the definitive cover either. And if it is, then it's a real ugly one. It looks too much like things we've already seen..... To be honoust I'm not that crazy about the last few covers from FTD (with Polk Salad Annie and The Impossible Dream as the lowpoints)...
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

TCB Mafia
    I have to agree with Albert...not the greatest cover around if that is the final version... But thats nothing new with FTD

I like the picture...but the cover just doesn't do it for me
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Good picture, poor cover, what was my first impression too

Well, our standards are pretty high around here, but I think this is a good-looking FTD! The colorizing of the marquee is a nice touch; they've selected probably the best monkey pic; it is on the simple side, but it's brighter and got more 'oomph' than The Impossible Dream, and is more imaginative than Polk Salad Annie.

I believe this is supposed to be the final artwork, but perhaps not. I'm curious how the rest of it turns out.

These covers often seem to look better to me when I'm holding the finished product in my hands.

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    My opinion is as long as the music is good the artwork doesn't matter, because I know there are pleanty of tallented artists here who will eventually create a cover that does the title justice!

As for the original artwork, I like it fine, but I really liked just having the Hilton Sign on the front. Maybe the monkey pick could have went on the back?

Anyhow, I am really looking forward to this release (and especially the soundboard version of Trouble!!!!!!!!!)
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man
    My opinion is as long as the music is good the artwork doesn't matter, because I know there are pleanty of tallented artists here who will eventually create a cover that does the title justice!

As for the original artwork, I like it fine, but I really liked just having the Hilton Sign on the front. Maybe the monkey pick could have went on the back?

Anyhow, I am really looking forward to this release (and especially the soundboard version of Trouble!!!!!!!!!)
    A pic of the marquee only has already been done on the Takin' Tahoe Tonight! CD (though that was a different marquee, different place), so I think that would seem like something that's already been done--and pretty recently, and on another release of a '73 Nevada hotel show. I think as a general rule all official releases should have an image of the man on the cover. I say 'general' because I think The Jungle Room Sessions is the ultimate FTD art-wise. Well, it may be the ultimate FTD on all levels, but that's another discussion.

JMO, Big Boss.

I'm really looking forward to it too.

Cadillac King
    I agree that many covers look better when we actually have them in our hands, but for me FTD really seem to have a talent for picking up the less attractive pictures for the covers- among the truly appalling ware "Dragonheart" / Impossible Dream" & "Dinner at 8" ( I just cannot bear that pic of E) -

Elvis did have a goofy sense of humour but to me at times it was puerile and I would much rather not have Elvis with a monkey/chimp on his back.

Can anyone ask EMJ why it is that he ignores all the alternate cover artists on here and FECC (which he visits) that have offered their services for free ?

jb

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I dont agree with you Unchained on this. Let's say that an alternate design from Nightrider is fantastic, but isn't printing quality. Then it's a piece of cake for the artwork department at BMG to replicate it in better quality. It's not the perfection, it's the idea and creativity.

Cadillac King
    I take your points Unchained, but that does not clarify why does EMJ or whoever get someone to suggest the picture - or is it still the Colonels picture selections that are still being used ?( read ed Bonja's interview in EIN)

Like Alber put it they could take a sample cover art and then ask their professionals to duplicate or improve it - my point is why can they not accept suggestions.

At times there seems to be "no time to choose pictures" or as I mentioned - the Colonels choice still rules!

jb

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbgude
    I agree that many covers look better when we actually have them in our hands, but for me FTD really seem to have a talent for picking up the less attractive pictures for the covers- among the truly appalling ware "Dragonheart" / Impossible Dream" & "Dinner at 8" ( I just cannot bear that pic of E) -

Elvis did have a goofy sense of humour but to me at times it was puerile and I would much rather not have Elvis with a monkey/chimp on his back.

Can anyone ask EMJ why it is that he ignores all the alternate cover artists on here and FECC (which he visits) that have offered their services for free ?

jb
    I agree 100% jb...for some reason, FTD just seems to pick the worst looking photos for their releases. My favorite example is the AWFUL picture they chose to put on the back cover of SPRING TOURS '77!!! I cannot believe with the vast number of great photos from '77 (just look at the ones that fans have posted here on the board), that FTD chose what has to be one of the worst photos of Elvis I have ever seen!!!

As for the cover art for CLOSING NIGHT....I have to honestly say that I don't really like it. I guess if the monkey wasn't on Elvis' back, then it would be better. I know he was in a silly mood that night, and that the picture is supposed to reflect that I guess, but still....I think this would have been a better picture to put on the inside of the cover somewhere. I have seen much better photos from this show in various books, and I really think a different photo could have been chosen! But of course, that's only my opinion...

BUT....on the positive side, I am anxious to see what the artistic geniuses here on the board can do with this cover!! :worthy:

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!