Thread: Chubby Elvis in Clambake

Chubby Elvis in Clambake

I have seen this movie before. But I have to say that it's not one my my favorites or his best. But I never really noticed until just now at how chubby he was in the waist area in that film. Almost like how he looked in 1974. His stomach kind of bulks out. Anyhow I just never noticed this after all these years until now. Interesting how you can catch something years later than you say many years ago but never noticed it then.

He looked good in Clambake compared to how he looked in Spinout. Way too pudgy. This was apparently during his brief dalliance with marijuana (and the subsequent munchies ...!)

Yeah i thought that too, and even my sister, who is not an Elvis fan, said how 'Chubby' He looked !

I have always felt Clambake was the heaviest Elvis ever looked on film.
    The scene where he is singing Clambake and throws his arms up in the air his shirt rises up and his stomach looks huge IMO. The ugly wine red sports coat he wears in it also is not flattering. In Spinout he may have been near that weight but the wardrobe was much sharper and so I think he looked better. When he sings "Beach Shack" he looks pretty good in the red shirt.
    The vests in that movie helped alot. But Clambake has my vote for heaviest movie look.

TCB Mafia
    Paradise Hawaiian Style is the heaviest he was in all his movies. He really looks out of shape in that one.

Coming On Strong
    Clambake is the Elvis movie I grew up with as a kid. My parents taped it off TV back in the early '80s, and I just grew attached to it.

I do agree that he looks a little overweight in this movie. I could tell it most when they did a close up of his face when Bill Bixby announces he and Shelley Fabares are getting married. He looks a little like the heavy '70s Elvis (without the sideburns) in that shot.
    YOU LOOKIN' FOR TROUBLE? YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE.

MJ Munchies or not, I guess Elvis has this tendecy to blow up every time he got depressed. He hit the bottom between '65-'67 and we inediately saw him gaining weight, he got stucked into routine in '73 and from there to the end his battle with his weigh walks in hand with his battle with routine and depresion.

Coming On Strong
    It must have been hellish for Elvis to have to keep his weight down all through the film years, as early as "Follow That Dream" you can see the weight creeping on. How he got down to the weight he was between 68 and 70, well, it must have been torture for him as that was not his natural weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeTaylor View Post
    It must have been hellish for Elvis to have to keep his weight down all through the film years, as early as "Follow That Dream" you can see the weight creeping on. How he got down to the weight he was between 68 and 70, well, it must have been torture for him as that was not his natural weight.
    From what I have read during that time it was not that hard for him to keep it off. I imagine it was a matter of staying more active and boredom was not quite a problem. I'm not sure what his natural weight was. The thinnest I think he ever looked is either in 60, right out of the army, or in 69 for the first live shows. But I'd agree 65 to 67 was the worst prolonged period of weight problems until the last few years of his life.

It just proves that Elvis was a normal human being, most people battle their weight as they get older.

Exactly Joe !!

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeTaylor View Post
    I have to agree, it must have been a battle, this probably lead to some of the problems that lead to health issues in latter years with the yo yo diets etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    From what I have read during that time it was not that hard for him to keep it off. I imagine it was a matter of staying more active and boredom was not quite a problem. I'm not sure what his natural weight was. The thinnest I think he ever looked is either in 60, right out of the army, or in 69 for the first live shows. But I'd agree 65 to 67 was the worst prolonged period of weight problems until the last few years of his life.
    It is a fact that after our 25 birthday, men tend to gain some extra pounds, that?s just nature and our survival skills (we haven?t evoluted to the point of staying natural slim and sexy as a key in survival cause your career depends on that.

Yes I believe '59 and early '60 was his slimest, because of the army living routine he was through maybe, then in '69 he must have done some real hard work in order to burn all his 34 years old fat, he did a lot of swiming and cut all the fat and extra calories in his food I read once, in fact it was probalby the only time apart from the army that he gave himself some diciplinated living and you can tell by the way he looked from the Tv Special, Trouble With Girls, AMerican Sessions, Change of Habit, live '69. It was hard work and not necesary his natural weight. During the '50 although he looked great, he hadn?t the greatest body either, we had lots of baby fat, although he wasn?t fat at all, the army and the years took away the childish looking body by '60.

I guess '68 "Live a Little Love a Little" was more or less his natural weight between '61-'71, between that we saw him with some extra pounds around '65 - early '67 (before the wedding), with a short period in '66 (Easy Come Easy Go) back in his "natural" weight, Plus we also saw him gaining some muscle mass in '60 (Flaming Star) around '62 (Girls, Girls Girls, Fun in Acapulco), and latter in August '70 TTWII.

After '71, we gained some extra pouns early '72, On Tour kind of looks like Paradise Hawaiian Style, he seemed to take care and looked great again by the MSG gigs and the August Vegas Season, I guess that was his natural weight for a almost 40 years old man, and he looked good. For the Aloha he did again some hard work, but we could have not keeped it that way. August '74 seemed to be his right weight now, not as slim as a 25 year guy, but not a big guy at all, yet there was that unnatural thing in his belly, totaly bloated, but that was not a weight issue, look at his legs, back, arms and face, it was something to do with his health, after all it was a long battle with that, we know the story.

Raised On Rock - how do you add those pictures at the bottom of your post? I need some help with that.

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by mahboymahboy View Post
    Raised On Rock - how do you add those pictures at the bottom of your post? I need some help with that.

Thanx
    Just go to the User CP and there is an edit signature option, you can upload any pic from your PC over there. That if you mean the signature image, if you mean how tu upload a photo along with your post, click on advanced and there is an opiton and there is a manage attachments option overthere, just click there.

Just before Elvis was expected to show up to the studios to start filming Clambake, he slipped and fell in his bathroom and this delayed filming for about 2 weeks.

Also, when the Col. had seen Elvis after a few a months hiatus, he was appalled to see how much weight Elvis had gained and had the filming rescheduled as well.

This info is all documented and it is known that Elvis was also very reluctant to shoot this movie because of it's poor quality and the increasing bad rep Elvis had now been gaining in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Creole View Post
    Just before Elvis was expected to show up to the studios to start filming Clambake, he slipped and fell in his bathroom and this delayed filming for about 2 weeks.

Also, when the Col. had seen Elvis after a few a months hiatus, he was appalled to see how much weight Elvis had gained and had the filming rescheduled as well.

This info is all documented and it is known that Elvis was also very reluctant to shoot this movie because of it's poor quality and the increasing bad rep Elvis had now been gaining in Hollywood.
    Have read this and heard it discussed in many interviews by Elvis insiders.
    This is where Larry Geller was told to quit filling Elvis's head with non-sense.

Cool

I think Elvis looks great despite some xtra weight and the movie is very enjoyable!(Great co-stars like Bill Bixby add to the enjoyment!)

Cadillac King
    I enjoy watching Clambake. Interesting updating of The Prince and the Pauper. Great supporting cast with Shelley Fabares, Bill Bixby, Will Hutchins and James Gregory. However, I agree Elvis is chunky. Not as bad though as in PHS.

Mad Tigers
    I agree Elvis is a bit overweight in Clambake - but far from "chubby"!! IMHO anyway!!

I actually don't mind how Elvis looks in movies like Clambake & Spinout, very handsome!

I think then, as now, there is too much pressure for celebrities to look 'perfect', stay in top physical shape, etc. If someone is so overweight it's affecting their health, that's one thing, but a little bit overweight (as Elvis was in Clambake) should not be an issue as far as I can see (if that makes sense!!).