Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Microphones?

Re: Microphones?

I read whole theme and I have one question:
    When you go through the pictures of last tour in June 77, it seems that he used different microphones - or better to say, they looks a bit different. Compare visually the one he used on 1st half of this tour (17th to 23rd June), and then the other one he used till the last show. Im talking for example about these photos (source from elvisconcerts.com site - http://elvisconcerts.com/pictures/c770623.htm) and these http://elvisconcerts.com/pictures/c770626.htm. that black streak on the first one confuses me and another thing - it seems to me, that the head (or better to say windscreen) of 1st mic is larger than on the 2nd one....

Greetings All. Anyone know the type of mic used for the Jungle Room sessions? I've read in the past something about an Electrovoice RE 15/16, is this accurate?

Roustabouts

Leroy any chance you could tell me how many times Elvis used a shure58 on stage?
    many thanks
    Lee.

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    As far as I know only two times. One time during the November tour in 1970, while performing in San Francisco, and one time during the November tour in 1971, using it only for a brief moment. I will try to find the pictures.

San Francisco 13 November 1970: http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/sho...lets-go&cat=28
    ?? November 1971: http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/sho...stoday3&cat=29

Backstage Pass

So it's 3 different mikes for the november 71 tour, right?

Hi everyone,
    First off I want to thank Leroy and the great information he has provided. I became interested in this topic the other day and a google search brought me here. Some of my observations, the microphone he used at the International Hotel (Hilton) is definitely an Electro-Voice RE16, there is no disputing that one. My curiosity peaked with the microphone he used once he started touring, I don't think its an elctro voice but I could be wrong. The microphone in the later years had a smooth handle (the Re-16 doesn't) and was covered by the windscreen that in some pictures was gray and some blue. It appears to be longer in length with the smooth handle and the bottom of the re-16 was solid aluminum, which with the best of efforts I don't think it could have been hidden by the wind screen. In some of the last concert footage it had a black band around it near the top presumably electrical tape, but also noticed there were several of these microphones on stage some with the backup singers and one was on the piano in a desk stand when he did unchained melody. One of the last pieces of evidence I have supporting it being some kind of electro-voice is that clearly the microphone holder on the stand is an EV product, grayish in color. and the pics that Peter posted above when I viewed them the mic appears to flare out to the base of the windscrren indicating to me that its not a RE-16 head underneath the windscreen. I would really love to know what kind of microphone this is that he was using on tour. So I open the floor for discussion, feel free to disagree with what I have said, but would like to find out what kind it is. Thanks....Gary
    Last edited by Gary198101; 11-03-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Peter, I posted a long winded post below to talk about the Microphones, but in the pictures you posted to me, both seem to me to be the same microphone. I mentioned it in my post below, so maybe with the great Leroy we might bat one out of the park and find out what it truly is.

Gary,

I believe that, back on page 1 of this thread, Leroy posted an entire list of what Elvis used onstage.

That reminds me....where in the world IS Leroy??? I've not seen him around here in FOREVER!!!!!!

Weird...can't see any of Leroy's posts here. Gone forever, or just a glitch?
    I'm a roving roustabout...

By the way, I use the following 'Elvis' mics and they're all great, some greater than others for vocals (apparently, too, Bill Porter was not a fan of proximity effect):

EV RE15 (classic!) - 1969 to 1973 (and at Houston in '74, if I recall correctly)
    Shure SM53 (probably the 'prettiest' mic I have) - late 1970 tours, and at least one date in 11/71 (maybe in Tahoe and Vegas, a few times, too?)
    Shure SM-57 (with windshield) - June and November, 1972
    AKG d224 - most of 1973 and 1974
    EV CS-15e (condenser mic...phenomenal sound) - late 1974 to the end

At some point I'll pick up the RE16 (essentially the same in any meaningful way as the re15) and, though it tends to be very pricey (and is still sold new) the Beyerdynamic m160 ribbon mic that he used in early '74, the still gets rave reviews for its sound. Oddly enough, the mic that's perhaps the most ubiquitous on the planet -- the trusty Shure SM58 -- is one I don't have yet, though they're abundant and can be had at low prices on eBay, so I'll probably get that before long. I use them all the time, with house setups, but never had one of my own. Adding these three would cover the mics he used most on stage in the '70s. There're still a few odd ones that he used at times, though. Really interesting to compare the mics and play with my amp to see what kind of sound I can produce...all are quite different.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Quote Originally Posted by 1100ccRider View Post
    By the way, I use the following 'Elvis' mics and they're all great, some greater than others for vocals (apparently, too, Bill Porter was not a fan of proximity effect):

EV RE15 (classic!) - 1969 to 1973 (and at Houston in '74, if I recall correctly)
    Shure SM53 (probably the 'prettiest' mic I have) - late 1970 tours, and at least one date in 11/71 (maybe in Tahoe and Vegas, a few times, too?)
    Shure SM-57 (with windshield) - June and November, 1972
    AKG d224 - most of 1973 and 1974
    EV CS-15e (condenser mic...phenomenal sound) - late 1974 to the end

At some point I'll pick up the RE16 (essentially the same in any meaningful way as the re15) and, though it tends to be very pricey (and is still sold new) the Beyerdynamic m160 ribbon mic that he used in early '74, the still gets rave reviews for its sound. Oddly enough, the mic that's perhaps the most ubiquitous on the planet -- the trusty Shure SM58 -- is one I don't have yet, though they're abundant and can be had at low prices on eBay, so I'll probably get that before long. I use them all the time, with house setups, but never had one of my own. Adding these three would cover the mics he used most on stage in the '70s. There're still a few odd ones that he used at times, though. Really interesting to compare the mics and play with my amp to see what kind of sound I can produce...all are quite different.

Thanks, friend! You nailed it by naming every microphone Elvis used during his career from '68 - '77.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234