14 9.79%
  • 6 out of 10

15 10.49%
  • 8 out of 10

44 30.77%
  • 10 out of 10

67 46.85%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Pinwheel (aka) Red Matador or Red Burning Love Jumpsuit (1972)

Gabriel

Red Matador Jumpsuit

I have read somewhere (apparently from a "reputable source") that Elvis rarely wore red, as he was "at odds with the color" - which may explain why we have few quality photographs of this jumpsuit. Yet, as a color, red is quite audacious and light-friendly - in that it's not swallowed up by shadows on stage, and it is a color that is regarded in many parts of the world, such as China, as "lucky". The gold accoutrements that decorate this jumpsuit are unquestionably complimenatry - just look at the beautiful gold eyelets, gold International Champion belt, and gold studs! All these features give the suit a regal radiance and universal appeal. Naturally, "white is right": it is partial to stage light (strobes, etc); can be seen from a distance; gives emphasis to Elvis' contours, and glistens like snow - with or without color.

I do, however, question the hypothosis that Elvis was impartial to red, considering that the most famous pirate shirt worn by Elvis was, in fact, red. Indeed, there are many images of Elvis in red, or a maroon color closest to it. Just look at his finely tailored dark-red suit in The 68 Comeback Special. Come to think of it, Elvis owned an impressive gallery of red belts, red shoes, red hats, red cars, red scarves and red furniture.

Some of the more accomplished ETA's, such as Shawn Klush, wear red, and wear it well! I would, though, hesitate to claim that this suit is superior to The Aloha jumpsuit;however, in my mind, the Red Matador (or "Burning Love " suit) is probably one of his more striking jumpsuits from the 70's era. I assume it is a suit largely ignored for the obvious fact that Elvis rarely wore it - but when he did (as in "Elvis on Tour") he wore it with the poise and majesty of a prince!

Sincerely, Gabriel. Karra Garra Island, Australia

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I don't think it would matter if Elvis disliked a colour or not.... he would only wear some jumpsuits only a few times e.g.

Black Fireworks - 3 times
    Black Conqistador - 2 times
    Saturn Suit - 1 time
    Royal Blue Fireworks - 2 times

So to only have worn the Red Pinwheel Jumpsuit 5 times is more than some others.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
    It was a most beautiful suit, but as I remember seeing it in person... it did not appear that "red" in color. Perhaps it was the venue lighting in LR that made the difference.
    I saw him wear this suit, too, and some of the pictures posted here are a brighter red than others. I've asked about that before and I was told it was because of the lighting.

I saw him do a few shows and had to look back at pictures to see what he was wearing the other times but, this suit always stands out in my mind.

Thanks for all the pictures that were posted
    ..........................Gayle...........................

"When songs made us start to wiggle our hips.
    It came from a combination of R & B and Soul.
    It was the beginning of a new music.
    They called it "Rock 'n Roll."
    ..................by me

Roustabouts
    Hello all, does any one have pictures of Elvis TRYING this suit in Denver Colorado Hotel room, with Denver Police Officers Jerry Kennedy, Ron Pietrafeso and others ??
    i know thos pics exsit, i saw them once in a book. i'm looking for as much possible pictures of OUR King with cops, especially Denver ones. Can any help me ? Robert from Paris France email me at cnps_fr@yahoo.fr

Some great pics here of the i think this would have been great to actually be there and see elvis in it in person, some of the pics dont do it justice.just my opinion. he looked good in it though.
    elvislady

He didn't wear red very often. I LOVE this suit, since red's my favorite color. He also looked great in royal blue. Gave the red suit a 10 out of 10.

> Red Matador Jumpsuit (1972)

this is a really great suit. thanks for all the pics and info

I never really liked this suit . it is not that i dont like the design as i love the white pinwheel suit . I just think the red made elvis face look pale and pasty and made him look heavier than the other suits he wore this year . in fact i love all the 72 jumpsuits except this one .

Quote Originally Posted by el gerry View Post
    I never really liked this suit . it is not that i dont like the design as i love the white pinwheel suit . I just think the red made elvis face look pale and pasty and made him look heavier than the other suits he wore this year . in fact i love all the 72 jumpsuits except this one .

I'd have to disagree here. I think Elvis looked pasty and pale in the footage from the April 9, 1972 Hampton Roads, VA evening show from EOT.

I like this suit. Red is not my favorite colour either but Elvis looked great in it.

Diane

I don't know why but I find this jumpsuit so different than the others. There's something about it...Something unique. I like it a lot. And maybe Elvis didn't wear red too often (although I have two-three pics with Elvis wearing red shirts) but he looked great in red.
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

He looks so sexy in this jump suit love it love it!

patricia

This is not my fav suit...but I like it okay. Elvis didn't look quite as good in it as he did in others. I loved the pics of him in the red pirate shirt that he wore during the rehearsals for TTWII...but I think that this suit is just too 'loud' perhaps to suit me. The shirt wasn't a complete red outfit, as is this. But it's a really great suit...lots of detail.

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I'd have to disagree here. I think Elvis looked pasty and pale in the footage from the April 9, 1972 Hampton Roads, VA evening show from EOT.
    TT...maybe the footage was just not good, due to lighting or something. But I was there, and I assure you...he didn't look pale or pasty in person. He looked great!

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    TT...maybe the footage was just not good, due to lighting or something. But I was there, and I assure you...he didn't look pale or pasty in person. He looked great!

Lea,

I also believe that the main reason Elvis looks so "pasty & pale" in the Hampton Roads, VA evening show from EOT is because of the lighting that MGM used when filming that night. No other concert footage shot for EOT looks that way.

I do like it but i like the big brother one of that " The Lion " from Elvis On Tour
    Tony

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tony70 View Post
    I do like it but i like the big brother one of that " The Lion " from Elvis On Tour
    The lion suit is the White Pinwheel.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Re: Red Pinwheel (aka) Red Matador or Red Burning Love Jumpsuit (1972)

This is very sexy suit, when I watch on ELVIS with this Jumpsuit,
    think, HE looks very good in red. It's pity Elvis didn't wear it more often

- "RED BURNING LOVE"
    I'll Remember You!!!

Re: Red Pinwheel (aka) Red Matador or Red Burning Love Jumpsuit (1972)

one of My favorites he wore.
    very nice and the name fits it perfect i think Burning Love Jumpsuit
    thats how i remember it.

" I Just LOVE MY ELVIS !"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast