PDA

View Full Version : Elvis and commercial radio

nashville cat
11-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Here in Nashville, our last major oldies station just changed formats. They went from a 50's and 60's oldies format to a mixture of 70's and 80's music, with very few sixties' tunes thrown in. This was the last major station I could count on hearing the occasional Elvis tune on.

Now I know we have satellite radio, and internet stations, and those options are great. They do not however have the widespread exposure of commercial radio. Makes me wonder how new audiences will discover Elvis without exposure on radio. I can no longer count on hearing the performers of the 50s and 60s on commercial radio.

U.S. Male
11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
That's an excellent point Nashville Cat.

The same thing occurred here in Atlanta, when a radio station that played 50's-70's music (including Elvis tunes + tributes on both his birthday and death anniversaries) changed it's format to hip hop:doh:

This is why it's our duty as Elvis fans to do whatever we can to spread the word about his music, thus bringing more fans in to the listener base.

As for Elvis Radios, hey...at least you still have TCB Radio here each weekend!:D

MauriceColgan
11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes BBM. Missed your show on Sunday :blink: :blink:

We should request Elvis songs as a matter of course. I've had some great success here in Ireland, BBC, and USA. on quite a few "Mod" stations. The DJs are surprised to hear from Elvis fans sometimes and will play a song for you.

nashville cat
11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
That's an excellent point Nashville Cat.

The same thing occurred here in Atlanta, when a radio station that played 50's-70's music (including Elvis tunes + tributes on both his birthday and death anniversaries) changed it's format to hip hop:doh:

This is why it's our duty as Elvis fans to do whatever we can to spread the word about his music, thus bringing more fans in to the listener base.

As for Elvis Radios, hey...at least you still have TCB Radio here each weekend!:D

Yes, and my hat is off to you guys for providing the service!

Unfortunately, as the true oldies station decrease, other great performers of the 50's are not heard either. The last "big band" station closed here also about a year ago, and my heart was broken.

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately as the years go on there will be less and less commercial radio stations providing what is considered a niche market nowadays (n)

Fortunately in the UK there are still stations that play Elvis records (y)

Matt

geordie
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Fortunately in the UK there are still stations that play Elvis records (y)

Matt

thats correct matt, i think the best station to tune into is RADIO 2,(y) they play other great music apart from elvis aswell:)