PDA

View Full Version : Jumpsuit Mystery

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Having watched the Oprah Clips from her visit to Graceland I have some questions, e.g. in the film it is stated that Graceland have 88 Jumpsuits in storage....... this then begs the question is there more Jumpsuits in Graceland that we haven't seen?

I have spoken with Leroy and he is going to ask Gene, Butch and Bill (Designers and makers of Elvis' Jumpsuits) how many were made and which ones didn't get worn.

You may or may not be aware that Elvis had duplicates made of some of the Jumpsuits that he liked for example the American Eagle 1973 (Aloha Jumpsuit) there were 2 versions made for the live broadcast and one made April 1973 making 3 in total! (Click Here (http://www.tcb-world.com/elvispictures/Jmpsuit%20Index%20Archive/Aloha%20Alternative/New%20Aloha/eppg%20Aloha%20New%20Layout.html))

On eppg there are currently 78 Jumpsuits featured and 21 Two Piece Suits making a grand total of 99 Stage suits:-

Jumpsuit & Two Piece Breakdown:-

1969 - 04 New designs - (Two Piece)
1970 - 13 New designs
1971 - 13 New designs
1972 - 14 New designs - 7 Two piece suits
1973 - 17 New designs
1974 - 10 New designs - 3 Two piece suits
1975 - 08 New designs - 7 Two piece suits
1976 - 02 New designs
1977 - 01 New design - (Unworn)

Given that Graceland do not have all the Jumpsuits in their possession e.g. Elvis-A-Rama own the Blue Peacock Jumpsuit and one of the Aloha Jumpsuits is displayed in Las Vegas and others Exhibited throughout the world it would be interesting to have a list of the Jumpsuits that Graceland have in storage against those that we are currently aware of.

Leroy has made some valid points:-

One day suits from 1975 have not all been pictured or categorised
A Black version of the Rainfall Jumpsuit is a possibility
Another version of the Orange Sunburst with Multicoloured Stones.

Also are EPE including the costumes that were used in the 68 Special e.g. the Black Leather suit etc.

I think there is also some confusion regarding the naming of Jumpsuits in that there are some many different names by which people associate Jumpsuits, this is probably the case with EPE as they seem to use some of the fan given names and not the designer names!

It is only in recent years that pictures have turned up of the "Multi Coloured Rain Jumpsuit (http://www.tcb-world.com/elvispictures/Jumpsuit%20Index%20Archive%203/elvis%20presley%20Multi%20Col%20jumpsuit%201973a.h tml)" and the "Light Blue Teal Jumpsuit (http://www.tcb-world.com/elvispictures/Jumpsuit%20Index%20Archive%203/elvis%20presley%20light%20blue%20Teal%20jumpsuit%2 01972-73a.html)" plus a couple of others that have come to light.

There are so many question, the quest goes on..................

Matt

PSK
10-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Good post JJ - very interesting.

Polk-Salad-Annie
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Very interesting indeed.:hmm:

memphis 77
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
i remember the auction they had 4 years ago that some of the 2 piece suits were for auction[they also count those[ although the belts didn't match i remember seing the blue swirl belt on the blue 2 piece flying suit the ones that in the book/guide, i also remember the bids for the black phoenix belt, but this was sold only 7 months before at butterfields to a person i know well, and i saw this belt and the jumpsuit on display at graceland was there 2 belts made for this suit, anybody at the butterfield auction and lichter auction.

memphis 77
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM
yes thats one but they also had 2 from the feb 72 engaements

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-16-2006, 08:03 PM
i remember the auction they had 4 years ago that some of the 2 piece suits were for auction[they also count those[ although the belts didn't match i remember seing the blue swirl belt on the blue 2 piece flying suit the ones that in the book/guide, i also remember the bids for the black phoenix belt, but this was sold only 7 months before at butterfields to a person i know well, and i saw this belt and the jumpsuit on display at graceland was there 2 belts made for this suit, anybody at the butterfield auction and lichter auction.

It saddens me that these items ever left EPE for whatever reason. (n)

Matt

Dudcowboy_1
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
If I remember right too Gene use to work at B-K Enterprise on Emboried jumpsuits. And my mind is telling me Bill did too. But don't quote me on this. Not 100% sure.

memphis 77
10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
can anybody post photos of the jumpsuits he wore at the feb 72 vegas engaements and the belts.? i had seen several over the years on video, some were real nice along with the belts

Raised on Rock
10-17-2006, 05:27 PM
What a Bunch of Jumpsuit Junkies!

Great post there, interesting, a lot of work you guys are doing, thanks for sharing this info.

To Memphis 77. The first photo is from Lake Tahoe '71, the resto of it well Im not sure if they are from Jan or August '72, but I guess those are the two piece jumo suits are you talking about? I think the second pic is from August, and the rest from Jan but not sure maybe all are form August. Yeah Ive seen those videos, some of the are just the Sisco Kid without the Jacket which make them more apealing I think.

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-17-2006, 10:34 PM
What a Bunch of Jumpsuit Junkies!

Great post there, interesting, a lot of work you guys are doing, thanks for sharing this info.

To Memphis 77. The first photo is from Lake Tahoe '71, the resto of it well Im not sure if they are from Jan or August '72, but I guess those are the two piece jumo suits are you talking about? I think the second pic is from August, and the rest from Jan but not sure maybe all are form August. Yeah Ive seen those videos, some of the are just the Sisco Kid without the Jacket which make them more apealing I think.

Thanks for the photos. That bottom right photo is my favorite photo of Elvis on stage. I used to have a poster of it. I wish I still did.

Dudcowboy_1
10-18-2006, 12:51 AM
I think I saw it on here wasn't there a jumpsuit in early 1970 or 1971 that was white two piece jean jacket and pants and a white rehearsal belt?

memphis 77
10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
LEROY did he use this suit for the feb 70 engaement, i thought i saw photo of this suit in judy palmers fanzine[i'm searching my copies just now ].?

memphis 77
10-18-2006, 05:05 PM
oh yes and thanks to raised on rock for the photos, i remember the first time i saw the second photo of this suit was in tunzi's book S.T.R.O. but a differn't photo you have,thanks for posting, i believe thaey are from august, be cause he is a little trimmer than april tour 72, and feb 72.

memphis 77
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
leroy what date would you give for the photo of him wearing the white leather suit, the belt i have pictures of even one where he is in front of graceland , do you have a clear photo of the belt?

memphis 77
10-19-2006, 04:40 PM
he is also wearing the belt on easter 1970 with lisa in the garden of the rocca place house, i have the photo of him in this , thanks again for the help leroy.

Diane
10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Leroy is the fan with Elvis wearing the white jacket pictured above by any chance Sandi Pichon do you know? Thanks for the information on the jacket. Diane

memphis 77
10-20-2006, 04:39 PM
thanks again leroy for posting, i have never seen these belts up close, wonder if graceland still has them? did you ever see the lion head belt that ELVISjunior claims was worn by E.P. it's in his museum, the suits are not e.p.'s and the lion necklace he has is not the real ones also. COULD it be possible that the white leather suit ws worn at the february engagement?

memphis 77
10-21-2006, 02:18 PM
leroy can you tell me how many differn't suits E.P. wore durring the feb engaement , i counted 3, i only have a couple newsprint photos, hope i'm not ruining this thread or bothering you, i just love knowing more about this stuff.