PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to buy the "Elvis Lives" dvd?

Albert
09-03-2006, 09:50 PM
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/8451/elvislivesfrontbl6.jpgElvis.com: "Elvis Presley was larger than life, and the Elvis experience is an amazing phenomenon that has continued to astonish a quarter century after his death in 1977. in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of his death, Elvis: The 25th Anniversary Concert Event was staged at the Pyramid Coliseum in his hometown of Memphis, Tennessee.

Through the magic of modern technology, Elvis is reunited with his original TCB band, back-up singers and musical director for a unique concert special. The program features footage of Elvis from previous concerts, along with his supporting musicians and singers live on stage together in Memphis. This one-of-a-kind concert event has stirred audiences around the world and ignited a passion for the King in a whole new generation of music lovers."

Back in 1997 EPE came with the idea to bring back together the TCB band, Sweet Inspirations, JD SUmner & The Stamps, THe Jordanaires, the Imperials and let them be the backup of Elvis once again. With the help of modern technology the stripped all instruments of the videos from TTWII, The NBC Special On Tour, The Aloha and a few other clips. Thiw way you have the footage of Elvis with only ELvis' vocals remaining. The original backups and musicians would play along , live on stage....

They performed on the August 16 1997 show in Memphis. This was such a success that they would tour the world with this concept.

With so little live material available on dvd, EPE decided to record one of these shows (the August 2002 Memphis performance) and release this on dvd.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5934/elvislivesit6.jpg

At first I thought "what a ripp-off" (once again): we already have the music, we already have the original performances on dvd, so why would I want to have a re-recorded show, only because the backups are now 30 year older and grey-er? I've been to two off these shows and was completely supriced by what I saw. Nothing will bring you closer to an actual Elvis show than these modern versions.

But after having watched this "ELvis Lives" dvd I was (again) pleasantly supriced. It's a fantastic addition to my collection. You can really feel the excitement from the crowd, simular to the times I've attended a show. The sound is stunning, the switching from old to new footage is also great and adds to the joy.

I'll buy the dvd..... are you?

graceland123
09-03-2006, 10:14 PM
i will ceertainly buy it thats for sure

JDD
09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Depends on what it costs and if any extras are involved. I already have the real concert , I enjoy it a lot. I need more then just them airing it and some band members playing to that recorded music.

JerryNodak
09-03-2006, 11:42 PM
No. I'm not the least bit interested.

Elvisgirl
09-04-2006, 02:13 AM
that is so weird. dunno if i'll buy it...dont think so

ForeverTheKing
09-04-2006, 08:49 AM
It could be interesting...If I find it here in Italy I'll take a look to the price..I'd prefer to use money for something about Elvis in person...but who knows..:lol:

jak
09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
I was at the concert in Memphis and it was great to be there with the audience reaction.I've had the bootleg for some time and will probably go ahead and get the official version just because I was there.
Jak

MISSCLAWDY
09-04-2006, 02:17 PM
I think I will; I 've been to an "Elvis the concert" and I certainly enjoyed it so if I can recall the feeling watching the dvd, I'll take the chance!!

mn-designs
09-04-2006, 02:46 PM
You allready got this DVD, Albert? man your quick...and i thought i was one of the first to get this DVD...mine is coming in the next few days, imported from the US. The official release date for The Netherlands will be January 2007...so i will review this dvd by the end of this week. I been to the concert 3 times and it was fantastic, the closest thing to a REAL elvis concert. I can't wait to see this dvd and to hear the today's sound on all tracks..

vulcandude
09-04-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm so glad they did this. What a wonderful way for new generations of fans to see Elvis I applaud EPE for doing this.....:notworthy :clap: :notworthy :clap: :king:

Sammy4Elvis
09-04-2006, 05:10 PM
This was an excellent show, i was lucky enough to be there and it was awesome, well worth buying this one.:cool:

PiersEIN
09-04-2006, 10:30 PM
This was an excellent show, i was lucky enough to be there and it was awesome, well worth buying this one.
Me too. So I'll be buying it.

If you have ever been to, and enjoyed, Elvis: The Concert then it is a fine souvenir.
But I'm not sure it would mean that much to fans who haven't seen the show. Might as well watch TTWII or Aloha instead.

Cheers
Piers

JDD
09-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Me too. So I'll be buying it.

If you have ever been to, and enjoyed, Elvis: The Concert then it is a fine souvenir.
But I'm not sure it would mean that much to fans who haven't seen the show. Might as well watch TTWII or Aloha instead.

Cheers
Piers

Piers for me it depends on if its just the show, which if so you're absolutly right it wouldn't hold much interest for me. Unless there is extras like say an interview with James Burton or some of those guys then it might have a different purpose for me.

Menwithbrokenhearts
09-05-2006, 07:52 AM
I've had this for a couple of weeks and I love it. The sound is superb and some songs even sound a bit better. There are clips of interviews sparsed throughout with Joe Guerciou, Ronnie Tutt, Gordon Stoker and (guy from the Imperials , can't remember his name). In the bonus section you get the entire interivew / discussion. Some cool stuff. I highly recommend. I bought at the Elvis Insider's concert and it was only $19.99. , I think.

Sammy4Elvis
09-05-2006, 12:57 PM
If they have shown the entire show then there was alot of footage they used which was different to the other concerts, it will be well worth buying. :D

Dovey
09-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I've had this for a couple of weeks and I love it. The sound is superb and some songs even sound a bit better. There are clips of interviews sparsed throughout with Joe Guerciou, Ronnie Tutt, Gordon Stoker and (guy from the Imperials , can't remember his name). In the bonus section you get the entire interivew / discussion. Some cool stuff. I highly recommend. I bought at the Elvis Insider's concert and it was only $19.99. , I think.

If you remembered the right price, I just might have to get this one thanks, dovey ;) (y) (y) (y)

nerma
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I can't wait to by a DVD(y) :clap:

vulcandude
09-06-2006, 04:15 PM
If anyone could tell me how much this was, and even if I could affored to join Elvis Insiders, I'd definitely get this.:lmfao:

Sonny
09-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, I would buy this one for sure!

Sonny

memphis 77
09-09-2006, 04:23 PM
hell no , shouldn't they be more concentrated on releasing ON TOUR DELUXE EDITION , and payout the money for the musicians royalties, this is totaly absurd, it just shows that E.P.E. are once again grabbing at straws to keep the money comming in, i think the whole concert is pointless an an embaressment , just my opinon though.

09-09-2006, 08:40 PM
hell no , shouldn't they be more concentrated on releasing ON TOUR DELUXE EDITION , and payout the money for the musicians royalties, this is totaly absurd, it just shows that E.P.E. are once again grabbing at straws to keep the money comming in, i think the whole concert is pointless an an embaressment , just my opinon though.

EPE don't own the the footage to Elvis On Tour and have no control over a Deluxe Edition.

EPE have done a fine job with the footage they have in their possession. I really wonder where you get your information from, and whether you have attended the touring production.

Albert
09-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I believe that EPE owns the rights to the CBS Special?

I've always found it weird that they didn't even use a single song from that special during the ELvis In Concert shows.

Menwithbrokenhearts
09-10-2006, 07:51 AM

Man, you are missing out. The sound is amazing on this dvd and the fact that so many vocalists and musicians that Elvis worked with on the stage all at the same time. They are all clearly enjoying themselves, you should see how they all get into it, especially Trilogy and How Great Thou Art. It's a great way for them to get together, perform Elvis's songs again before an audience, and work it up with better equipment and technology. You should hear Ronnie Tutt talk about that aspect. He is really into it and basically runs the show. And the bonus part with Joe Gurcieo, Ronnie Tutt, Gordon Stoker and some of the others, is great. Round table conversational style, remeniscing and talking about the show. I think most of the people up there on that stage would disagree with you about it being an embarassment, or pointless. They feel they are really paying tribute and getting the music to a new audience. You should see all the young people there. And, they are still doing it, and they are getting paid. Good for them. The deserve the attention and the money. Out of all the people around Elvis in his life, the musicians I think had the most integrity and were the most trustworty and worthy of respect.

Menwithbrokenhearts
09-11-2006, 09:48 PM

I've always found it weird that they didn't even use a single song from that special during the ELvis In Concert shows.

I just realized that , after watching the Elvis LIves dvd for the fourth time, that they are using "How Great Thou Art" from the CBS special, but snycing it up with the "Elvis on Tour" video. I had to go back and watch both to make sure, but that is definately what they did. Not sure how I feel about that.

09-12-2006, 11:17 AM

Yes they own the rights. The reason it's not used is the same reason it's not available.

Elvos77
09-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I just realized that , after watching the Elvis LIves dvd for the fourth time, that they are using "How Great Thou Art" from the CBS special, but snycing it up with the "Elvis on Tour" video. I had to go back and watch both to make sure, but that is definately what they did. Not sure how I feel about that.
That's not the case, I've got the dvd too, and have been editing with How great thow art, and Johnny B good, But They use the vocal from the as recorded in memphis 1974 show,(with reprise)This version was also a grammy winner!
As for the dvd it sounds amazing and the footage is good, but how could they show a piece of comments between the solo's of Johnny B..a show stopper 1st class, and after Jerrys bass solo, the comments kick in, and 2 minutes later the song continues.So I made my own version without the comments, I also did How great Thow Art, I just added more Elvis footage and synchronized it with the vocal...Here are the results...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdXsQh4xPY For Johnny B Good and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnJRH_isY48 for How great thow art

Awickedreigndrop
09-19-2006, 03:06 AM
I just preordered it from the ShopElvis thingy. I have both the 68 Comeback and the Aloha from Hawaii DVDs PLUS I have TTWII DVD too. At first I didn't want it but actually I wanted to see all of Elvis' backup singers and the rest. If it was up to me I would watch Elvis 24/7(y)

Menwithbrokenhearts
09-19-2006, 08:20 AM
That's not the case, I've got the dvd too, and have been editing with How great thow art, and Johnny B good, But They use the vocal from the as recorded in memphis 1974 show,(with reprise)This version was also a grammy winner!
As for the dvd it sounds amazing and the footage is good, but how could they show a piece of comments between the solo's of Johnny B..a show stopper 1st class, and after Jerrys bass solo, the comments kick in, and 2 minutes later the song continues.So I made my own version without the comments, I also did How great Thow Art, I just added more Elvis footage and synchronized it with the vocal...Here are the results...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdXsQh4xPY For Johnny B Good and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnJRH_isY48 for How great thow art

Thanks for the correction. I knew it wasn't just right but I was a little off!:blush:

waymore44
09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
I just got the DVD yesterday. I've watched it four times. Here's what I think:

Get the DVD, it's worth having!

Here are the problems with it:

Some footage from TTWII, Lost Performances, and "How Great Thou Art" from Elvis On Tour is grainy. The Aloha footage is the most effective. It almost looks as good as the new footage.

Overall, the sound is great and actually technically better than you've ever heard Elvis. The only issues are sometimes, the vocal gets a little out of time because there's no way to avoid it. The original performances were not played to a perfect click track. Ronnie Tutt is notorious for changing tempo. It's got to be incredibly hard for him to play exactly in time to what he did over 30 yrs ago. The other thing is they really shouldn't have Elvis talking too much in the show. You can hear the background noise in the vocal. There's no way to get that completely out. You don't hear it really during a song unless the crowd is screaming, etc. The worst track by far is "That's All Right". It never feels right, the vocal sounds choppy and noisy, and James doesn't come close to his original performance on guitar. James playing is also an issue on "Mystery Train". Part of it is he's older and doesn't play with the same fire and speed, but a lot of it is his tone on the signature model Tele is inferior to the Pink Paisley Tele. His new tone is interesting though on the ballads and a lot of time actually better.

I wish that they would use some footage from "Elvis In Concert" for 3 of the songs. I think that "That's All Right" would have been easier to nail with that slower more in the groove version. "My Way" and "How Great Thou Art" are AWESOME in 1977. The only problem is he doesn't look good. However, this is for the fans and I think it would be touching as hell to use that footage. Then, go back to Aloha or TTWII for the end of the show, leaving everyone with good looking Elvis.

I made a CD of the soundtrack frm the DVD. It took a hell of a long time to edit it and make it fit on one CD. I trashed "That's All Right", trashed the introductions, changed the order slightly, had to edit the intro from "Burning Love" from the original concert, lose a chorus of "Suspicious Minds", and edit in a verse from "Are You Lonesome Tonight" from the Las Vegas box set because of the dialogue from Tutt and Guercio. It's probably my favorite Elvis live CD at this point.

Awickedreigndrop
09-22-2006, 02:38 AM
I just got it today (Even though they said it was on back order) Anyway I agree with the quality of "That's All Right" It sounds kinda choppy. Well Elvis does. When he was singing "If I can Dream" I seen this lady in the audiance crying which made me tear up. I think it's a good DVD. In the bonus feature they were talking about the limo driving up to the stage and someone dressed like Elvis walks behind the stage. I never seen that on the DVD. When it came time for that part they cut to the group memebers talking.

Eve
09-22-2006, 09:37 AM
I have the DVD!

I was in the concert 2002!

It is best quality

lee
09-24-2006, 11:52 PM
i have seen "elvis the concert" twice,it was fantastic. i would buy this dvd.is it on sale in the uk?

memphis 77
10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I KNOW THAT E.P.E don't own the rights to the film , but PRISCILLA is on the board of directors[i believe she still is] for warner/mgm if anyone could meke this happen , to have a special edition release of the film i think it would be her, just my opinion though.

Talvis
10-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I am going tho buy this one for sure. Just because i was there also:D :D It was a great show. And for young and new Elvis fans this is realy wonderfull to have. So thank you EPE for this release.

Jungleroom76
10-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm excited that they are finally releasing one of the "Elvis - The Concert" shows on DVD!!! :clap:

I've seen several home recorded videos of various tour stops for this show, and will be anxious to finally see a legitimate version!! Perhaps fans and/or regular folks who don't really understand the concept of "Elvis - The Concert" will see this DVD and then be more inclined to buy tickets to experience the show in person, if/when EPE decides to book some more U.S. tours!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

samcats
10-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Just saw the live show in Melbourne Australia (last night)
Just amazing, really blew me away.
A few jumpsuits and other items were on display from Graceland, what a night. The place was full, 15,000 ppl. Young, old and all having a blast.
A night 2 remember 4 sure.

MISSCLAWDY
10-13-2006, 11:06 AM
So I can find on amazon.co.uk , right? I haven't checked yet...!!!

jak
10-14-2006, 09:39 AM
My wife just got back from Tupelo and Graceland.She picked up a copy in one of the shops acroos from Graceland.The dvd is very nice.As said before some of the older footage used is grainy but the aloha stuff is perfect.The sound quality is amazing.Its worth the 20 bucks.
Jak