PDA

View Full Version : Best of The 70's for the 30th Anniversary!

EP75
08-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I have been listening to some of the 70's studio tracks lately-mainly from June 1970 and I have noticed how weak the sound is. Especially on Bridge Over Troubled Water and Patch It Up . Listen to Mary In The Morning and hear how the mix is faded and EP's voice fades into a funny mix. I decided to play them in 5.1 to hear the realistic sound from the master tapes and I removed EP from the instrumental track and I noticed how much clearer the mix is when you do this. You can actually feel the vibration of Tutt's drumming and the bass drum and hear the guitar picking by Burton that you cannot hear otherwise because of everything mixed together in stereo. Due to these bad mixes from the 70's this got me to wondering and thinking of what could be or possibly in the works. There has got to be a reason behind deleting pretty much all of the original 70's albums from the catalog and reissuing them on FTD with bonus tracks. That tells me RCA is planning either a Best Of The 70's concept or a 2 CD set of the best 70's songs-in 5.1 sound and mix. I would like to see a 2 CD set of the best studio work from June 1970 to October 1976 and let Joe public hear for himself just how good EP could be at times in the 70's. The media and with no help at all from EPE has simply denounced any powerful music from EP during the final decade of his life. But we as fans know that there were at least 2 solid discs worth of great music by EP. Maybe this is planned for the 30th anniversary. It makes sense-EP died in the 70's in 1977 and it would be 2007 so why not a set of 70's recordings? By the way, the style of Pop music is returning to the rhythms and sounds of the 70's so maybe it would be a brilliant strategic plan to release this for the 30th. But if they go to all the trouble to do this then they need to digitally upgrade and enhance ALL of the tracks selected for such a project. Maybe even go a step further and cross new waters by making it in both 5.1 playback sound and stereo mix. They did this with The Lost performances and Alternate Aloha on video so it can be done to music also. Imagine songs like The Next Step Is Love, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Patch It Up, It's Only love, Separate Ways, and Raised On Rock all mixed in the 5.1 super audio sound? Back when 30 #1 Hits was being put together they were then considering mixing it in 5.1 but went with stereo instead. If they did this with the 70's which are the most needed for this technolgy then I would accept this over any modern day remix or remakes. Who knows-with the right promotion it could possibly reach #1 and prove that EP does not need a remix dance song to sell his original music. Although I still like the remixes but I also think if given enough respect and care and thought put into it this set could be the ultimate among the 70's projects.

dannyboy1
08-31-2006, 12:08 PM
I love the concept and love the 70's material in general. But I really don't think BMG would even consider a Best of the 70's concept. Hope I'm wrong!!

King_Creole
06-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Nice try Jay ... :)

rickeap
06-04-2007, 06:25 AM
I agree - a 70s compilation to show just how good Elvis was till the very end would be a great idea
rick

ajr
06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Why don't you suggest that, EP75??
Elvis had his incredible voice to the end, IMO.