PDA

View Full Version : 8/12/06 Elvis insiders Conference

JDD
08-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm not going to this , but I wish I was. Check out the guest list

I'd be curious enough to buy a dvd of the Q &A session with some of them like Linda Thompson and James Burton, Nancy Rooks in particular. I did Elvis week once, it was too intense for me, too crowded. I like to go in June but that means I don't get to see this stuff like I have in blue below. Anyone at TCB world attending ?

Singer Pat Boone, who knew Elvis professionally and personally, will share his special memories of Elvis, some of which he has never discussed publicly; Actress, poet, Academy Award nominated songwriter and former girlfriend of Elvis, Linda Thompson, will share her unique perspective on Elvis in her first-ever Elvis Week appearance. Sam Thompson will join us to share memories of his friendship with Elvis and of being a member of his personal staff in the 1970s. Andrew Solt, head of SOFA Entertainment, owner of the Ed Sullivan Show catalog, will screen clips (some previously unreleased) from Elvis's three appearances on the program as a preview of the exciting forthcoming DVD release Elvis: The Ed Sullivan Shows. Joining him in sharing some of the behind-the-scenes history of Elvis on Sullivan will be Jordanaires member Gordon Stoker, who performed with Elvis on all three of his Sullivan appearances. Guitar virtuoso and former Elvis bandmate James Burton will be a guest speaker. Part of the recent Follow That Dream collectors label CD release Made In Memphis is from a private recording Elvis made at Sam's home in November 1972. Also joining us for the conference are William Schallert and Victoria Paige Meyerink, who both appeared with Elvis inthe film Speedway, Chris Noel who appeared with Elvis in the film Girl Happy, and Nancy Rooks, who was a longtime member of Elvis's household staff at Graceland.Our popular host with the most, Elvis Insider Tom Brown, vice-president of production for Turner Classic Movies, returns as the conference emcee. More program details to be announced.

Diane
08-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Wow this really sounds interesting. That's quite a line-up they have there. Are they going to do a DVD of this conference? I'd sure get it if they did.

JDD
08-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Wow this really sounds interesting. That's quite a line-up they have there. Are they going to do a DVD of this conference? I'd sure get it if they did.

I was kind of hoping someone might. I know the Elvis week I attended there was some people there with a pro style camera filming the MM Q & A sessions, but I never heard how or if they were released. This would be something I would absolutly buy at least once to see how it was because not everyone can be there though if you attend Elvis week you'd swear everyone was, its that crowded!

Diane
08-11-2006, 01:58 AM
I hope they do film it too and put it on DVD's. I believe you when you said it gets very crowded. Have never been there, we came close this last summer but it didn't pan out - maybe another time.

Menwithbrokenhearts
08-11-2006, 07:24 AM
I'm here in memphis right now, and will be attending the insider's cinference. I'm really excited about it and hope I can get some pix, I'll let you know if I do. Went to Graceland today and took over 200 pictures, It was quite an experience being there!

JDD
08-11-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm here in memphis right now, and will be attending the insider's cinference. I'm really excited about it and hope I can get some pix, I'll let you know if I do. Went to Graceland today and took over 200 pictures, It was quite an experience being there!

You'll have to give us a report on what goes on . Hope you get some good pictures, and info.

Menwithbrokenhearts
08-11-2006, 08:10 AM
You'll have to give us a report on what goes on . Hope you get some good pictures, and info.I hope so too. I hope they let us take pictures. I might get a sound recording too, if I can get away with it. I"ll let you guys know.

Diane
08-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Have a great time there in Memphis MWBH and I hope you get all you want out of the visit. We'll be looking forward to any pictures and information you can share.

Menwithbrokenhearts
08-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks you guys. Had a fantastic day today! They had Jerry Schilling, June Juanico, Al Wertheimer and Maxine Brown, Gordon Stoker, Nancy Rooks and a few others in the Memorabilia roomas well as a video of some new acquisitions and the new 25th anniversary dvd that just came out today. Had to go buy it, it was really good. Apparantley they recently acquired the Elvis O Rama museum and the Colonel's collection. Some very cool stuff, cars, jewelry furniture, etc...

I'll try to give a brief overview of today, and then again tomorrow, but no details and pix until I get back home to my computer in a couple of weeks. I got some great pictures though, even got some of myself with all the above except Jerry. The line was way too long.

As for the ones who spoke:

Al Wertheimer was first. He told some great stories behind some of his pictures and showed alot that I had not seen before. He said he took around 2000 while he was with Elvis in '56. He is coming out with a big "coffee table book" that will be around 250 pages and is 65.00. Sounds great! The one story that sticks out in my mind, is , You know that very famous picture of Elvis on the motorcycle with the hat, looking down? I always thought he was posing that way, but what happened is that the motorcycle had quit on him and all the guys were trying to figure it out while the crowd was gathering around, then Elvis thought of the gas, and took the lid off and was looking down into the gas tank trying to see if it had any gas. It was out of gas! I love that story! And will never look at that picture the same again!

June Juanico was next. And let me preface this by saying that I met her, had my picture taken with her and had her sign her book for me and she is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met. My best experience there was talking with her and Gordon Stoker, a very nice kind man also.

Anyway back to June. She had nothing but good things to say about Elvis, and even told us why she left him, and although hurt by it,, she still loves him. Her first real love. She gets teary eyed talking about him. She got a standing ovation when she was done. She talked about their time together, how they met, their first date, Gladys and Vernon, the other girls, him on stage in '55. Her most poignant story was when they parted. She went to tell him goodbye at the train station, (they had been apart for a while, him seeing others and her responding by doing the same and getting engaged) He was so happy to see her, she couldn't tell him at first then she just sort of blurted out "Elvis, I'm engaged" he said "Really?" and just got quiet and sat down for a while. Then he asked her if she was serious, she said "yes" and he said something like "Well everything has a reason" They were teary eyed and hugging and he got on the train she waved goodbye and so did he. She turned away and walking away, turned back and he was still hanging off the train waving at her until the train went around the corner. The train whistle blew in the distance. She now lives close to train tracks and a bridge, and always woke up with a heavy heart and a bittersweet memory when she heard the train. During Hurricane Katrina, the bridge was blown down and she didn't hear if for weeks and suddenly began to miss it. She said it made her feel empty because she had lost that "connection". Then, some weeks later, in the middle of the night she heard it again and thought "MY first love has come back to me" Needless to say, she had people wiping tears at that. She said she was married for 35 years to a good man and tried her best to love him as much as she could, but could never get Elvis off her heart. Sweet lady.

Maxine Brown was next and what a hoot that woman is. She has a new book entitled "Looking Back to See" which is mostly about her experiences in country music in early days. The "Browns " toured with Elvis alot, and Jim Ed becoming the most famous I guess. She had some great stories about being on the road with Elvis and the boys, and did not hold back her feelings at all about the MM and other things that have been written since. She told a story about doing everyone's laundry on the tour and she had accidentally thrown a pair of her red panties in with the whites so everything turned out pink. She said all the boys were mad and upset except Elvis who said " YOu can bleach out my shorts but not my socks, I want to keep them pink" She said he liked those pink socks so much that he wouldn't let her wash them and the smell got so bad that one night while Elvis was sleeeping , Bill threw them out the window, socks shoes and all. Elvis woke up and found them gone, Bill confessed, and Elvis made them all turn around and go back and find his socks. Believe it or not, they found them! She told us she had just had hip surgery because she had fallen and broke her hip in two places and her pelvis and she said " The only good thing that came out of all that **************** mess was that I got a permanent screw!" That cracked everybody up!

Jerry was last. The interviewer , (CEO of EPE) can't remember his name, talked alot about the new book and Jerry read alot from it. It was mostly that and why he wrote it. It sounds like a good book that Jerry says"Tells the truth but as a friend, factual but sensitive) He read the end, and it was moving, I have to admit. He talked about how Elvis was a friend to him, and his opinion of Elvis' demise. That he had been let down creatively and disappointed so much in this area that he sort of gave up seeking creative gaols or trying to break new ground for himself, challenge himself and he said tthat is what drove Elvis and inspired him. A challenge. Without it he self destructed. ( my words, not his , to sum up what he said) Kind of a sad ending to the day.

But overall, a great day!

Write more tomorrow!

Also, they are releasing a dvd box set that has his best movies ( in their opinion) concerts, a dvd with movie song videos and some other bonus stuff. I 'll try to get details tomorrow.

Good night!

JDD
08-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the update. I've been catching bits of it on the radio but your report is appreciated.

Thanks you guys. Had a fantastic day today! They had Jerry Schilling, June Juanico, Al Wertheimer and Maxine Brown, Gordon Stoker, Nancy Rooks and a few others in the Memorabilia roomas well as a video of some new acquisitions and the new 25th anniversary dvd that just came out today. Had to go buy it, it was really good. Apparantley they recently acquired the Elvis O Rama museum and the Colonel's collection. Some very cool stuff, cars, jewelry furniture, etc...

I'll try to give a brief overview of today, and then again tomorrow, but no details and pix until I get back home to my computer in a couple of weeks. I got some great pictures though, even got some of myself with all the above except Jerry. The line was way too long.

As for the ones who spoke:

Al Wertheimer was first. He told some great stories behind some of his pictures and showed alot that I had not seen before. He said he took around 2000 while he was with Elvis in '56. He is coming out with a big "coffee table book" that will be around 250 pages and is 65.00. Sounds great! The one story that sticks out in my mind, is , You know that very famous picture of Elvis on the motorcycle with the hat, looking down? I always thought he was posing that way, but what happened is that the motorcycle had quit on him and all the guys were trying to figure it out while the crowd was gathering around, then Elvis thought of the gas, and took the lid off and was looking down into the gas tank trying to see if it had any gas. It was out of gas! I love that story! And will never look at that picture the same again!

June Juanico was next. And let me preface this by saying that I met her, had my picture taken with her and had her sign her book for me and she is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met. My best experience there was talking with her and Gordon Stoker, a very nice kind man also.

Anyway back to June. She had nothing but good things to say about Elvis, and even told us why she left him, and although hurt by it,, she still loves him. Her first real love. She gets teary eyed talking about him. She got a standing ovation when she was done. She talked about their time together, how they met, their first date, Gladys and Vernon, the other girls, him on stage in '55. Her most poignant story was when they parted. She went to tell him goodbye at the train station, (they had been apart for a while, him seeing others and her responding by doing the same and getting engaged) He was so happy to see her, she couldn't tell him at first then she just sort of blurted out "Elvis, I'm engaged" he said "Really?" and just got quiet and sat down for a while. Then he asked her if she was serious, she said "yes" and he said something like "Well everything has a reason" They were teary eyed and hugging and he got on the train she waved goodbye and so did he. She turned away and walking away, turned back and he was still hanging off the train waving at her until the train went around the corner. The train whistle blew in the distance. She now lives close to train tracks and a bridge, and always woke up with a heavy heart and a bittersweet memory when she heard the train. During Hurricane Katrina, the bridge was blown down and she didn't hear if for weeks and suddenly began to miss it. She said it made her feel empty because she had lost that "connection". Then, some weeks later, in the middle of the night she heard it again and thought "MY first love has come back to me" Needless to say, she had people wiping tears at that. She said she was married for 35 years to a good man and tried her best to love him as much as she could, but could never get Elvis off her heart. Sweet lady.

Maxine Brown was next and what a hoot that woman is. She has a new book entitled "Looking Back to See" which is mostly about her experiences in country music in early days. The "Browns " toured with Elvis alot, and Jim Ed becoming the most famous I guess. She had some great stories about being on the road with Elvis and the boys, and did not hold back her feelings at all about the MM and other things that have been written since. She told a story about doing everyone's laundry on the tour and she had accidentally thrown a pair of her red panties in with the whites so everything turned out pink. She said all the boys were mad and upset except Elvis who said " YOu can bleach out my shorts but not my socks, I want to keep them pink" She said he liked those pink socks so much that he wouldn't let her wash them and the smell got so bad that one night while Elvis was sleeeping , Bill threw them out the window, socks shoes and all. Elvis woke up and found them gone, Bill confessed, and Elvis made them all turn around and go back and find his socks. Believe it or not, they found them! She told us she had just had hip surgery because she had fallen and broke her hip in two places and her pelvis and she said " The only good thing that came out of all that **************** mess was that I got a permanent screw!" That cracked everybody up!

Jerry was last. The interviewer , (CEO of EPE) can't remember his name, talked alot about the new book and Jerry read alot from it. It was mostly that and why he wrote it. It sounds like a good book that Jerry says"Tells the truth but as a friend, factual but sensitive) He read the end, and it was moving, I have to admit. He talked about how Elvis was a friend to him, and his opinion of Elvis' demise. That he had been let down creatively and disappointed so much in this area that he sort of gave up seeking creative gaols or trying to break new ground for himself, challenge himself and he said tthat is what drove Elvis and inspired him. A challenge. Without it he self destructed. ( my words, not his , to sum up what he said) Kind of a sad ending to the day.

But overall, a great day!

Write more tomorrow!

Also, they are releasing a dvd box set that has his best movies ( in their opinion) concerts, a dvd with movie song videos and some other bonus stuff. I 'll try to get details tomorrow.

Good night!

Tommy
08-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks so much for the interesting stories!

Dovey
08-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey Menwithbrokenhearts, Wow, I am so happy that you are there to see and hear all the going on's.... sure would be wonderful to be there ... I am glad that you can tell us what is going now :cool:

A lady from the Carolina's emailed that she is going to be ther also ( I meet her when I was at Graceland) she sure was looking forward to it too... She is a great lady and Elvis fan... funny what great friends we get through Elvis... (I have truly been blessed to know some really great Elvis Fans and they are always there for you) ;) Guess it's Elvis' way of still giving to us.(y) (y)

Anyway, I am happy that you are there for all the events.. Dovey :king:

Dovey

Donut
08-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us how was it today.
Looking forward to your report tomorrow :)

Diane
08-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank you MWBH for keeping us updated on what's going on at the Memphis conference. Anxious to hear more.....

I have a photo book by Wertheimer with that picture of Elvis on the motorcycle and it mentions about the empty gas tank. I haven't looked at that picture without smiling since.:D

Loved what June had to say.

JDD
08-12-2006, 05:57 PM
They've aired short audio clips already a couple of times this morning on Sirius if anyone has it of the June Juanico stuff MWBH mentioned. They have mentioned they have the DJ "T - Y" standing by there later today (Saturday) for updates all day. They're not long clips but its fun to hear parts of what MWBH is reporting back for us. Luckily we have an insider on the board onsite

Whew Thank TPTB for edits! I had a bad case of fumble fingers up there in the original post

Menwithbrokenhearts
08-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey everyone. Thanks for all the comments. I am so glad to hear that they are covering it on Sirius. I heard this morning that they were streaming the audio on Elvis. com somewhere, I think in the Insider's forum area. I got some audio both days. Not that good but you can hear most of what is being said. I think, if it' good enough, I'll try to transcribe if for you guys. I know I'm missing alot of good stories.

Well, the day started out real cool. I got there early and wandered over to the memorabilia showroom. It was mostly empty with a few people setting up booths and who do I see hanging up a poster, none other than James Burton himself. He was having some trouble getting a cardboard poster on the wall, he was using a flashlight as a hammer trying to get a tack to hold up this huge thing. I went and got maintanance to come over with some better tools to help him. They got it up and I had a nice little chat with him. He was very nice and I got a picture with him and an autograph.. WAY COOL !!!!! I asked him if he would sign my guitar, but he said he had a contract with, I believe, Fender and it would violate his agreement. Oh well, one can try!!

Anyway, I made it to the conference room , which was filling up fast today. With the roster today, no suprise. More today than yesterday.

Pat Boone was the first to speak. My first impression is how, happy and healthy and good he looks for his age. I was thinking, with him being about the same age as Elvis, if Elvis would have taken good care of himself, I think he would have aged like Pat. Anyways, Pat was very interesting and funny and has a real talent for speaking, a flair if you will. He talked about he and Elvis met. Apparently they all had dressing rooms close, together, he, Cary Grant and Elvis and he and Elvis hit it off being from Tennessee and mutual admirers. This was after the first brief meeting they had at a concert, where Elvis was a bit starstruck with Pat.He talked about how Elvis would just show up at his house and the girls, Pat's daughters having only known Elvis as "Daddy's friend" would jump out of the pool and jump up on Elvis, soaking wet, because they loved him so much. Pat would try to call them off, not wanting them to get Elvis wet and Elvis would say, "It's allright, I like it" He said he could tell Elvis really wanted a family like that. He felt Elvis came over sometimes just to get that feeling of family. He also told the story of how he "outsnowed" the snowman, Col. Parker.
I guess Pat had an idea to do a tribute album to Elvis , some of Elvis' hits in his jazzy style. So he got it mostly done in the studio, really proud of it and excited and the Col. came over to talk to him about "his boy's" cut. Pat said " Yeah sure, he'll get all the money with his name and songs up there", and the Col. said "No I mean for the use of his Name" which the album was to be called "Pat sings Elvis". So Pat talked to his people and they said "No, were not going to do that, just scrap the album" Pat didn't want to so he thought about it and this is what he did. They called it " Pat sings Guess who?", dressed up in a gold lame' suit on the cover and then listed all the songs, juke box style, on the cover. Then Pat wrote a bit on the back referring to his friend " Guess Whosley" so Pat says, tongue in cheek, "Now, who do you think that might be?" Well weeks later, after the album came out Pat received a letter in the mail from the Colonel saying "You've outsnowed the snowman" and he recieved a gold membership card in the Colonel's snowman club. With Col. Tom Parker as "Chief high potentate"

Ernst Jorgensen was next and talked about some of the commercial theme type releases they are working on. He explained to us that we should not get upset when they release the same songs with different covers in different arrangements because , from a retail point of view , the stores won't buy the same old stuff, and they are trying to reach the new fans. He talked about the release and remastering of the complete, in chronological order,
"Million - Dollar Quartet" cd. And as far as FTD, they are working on a big book/ double cd focusing on the songwriters that wrote songs for Elvis. One cd will have the Elvis versions and the other will have the original demo acetates that elvis listened to before doing the song. They are also working on the Hawaii 61 benefit concert, and some other classic early albums.

James Burton was next. he talked about his charity that he is working on, at www.jamesburtonmusic.com , that is all. I went to get Pat Boones autograph in a book and , funny story, went into the bathroom and in the stall next to me, you guessed it Pat Boone. Too wierd and funny! I went to get his autograph and we talked about that. I had someone take a picture and he and I are laughing about it. I'll have to post that later.

Sam and Linda Thompson are next. Sam talked first and how he met Elvis and then went to work for him. He said the first time he met Elvis at Graceland, Elvis came in in a Karate Ghi, sunglasses and a pistol in his belt. He said he commanded so much attention with his presence he felt like Elvis just sucked all the air out of the room. Linda came on next and just went on and on about Elvis' kindness, generosity and sweetness. She talked about a routine in Vegas where she and Elvis would get all dressed up and then black out there teeth and go talk to the fans. It freaked the fans out. She said he was always cutting up, pulling his pajamas up and acting silly. Things like that. They talked about how deeply spiritual he was and how much he talked about it with anyone, even with the fans, even on stage. "Some days an angel, and some days a devil" she said. They talked about how his amazing voice still affects them today. Sams favorite songs " Promised Land" and " My Way " and Linda's, "Are you Lonesome Tonight?" because she likes to hear him talk. Linda hinted again at writing a book. Said she still loves him. And back then couldn't stick around and " Watch his demise" she "loved him too much for that."

They talked about the upcoming dvd, Nov. I think, "The Complete Ed Sullivan shows" that has all three Sullivan shows in their entirety with commercials and all. Also include is various elvis related material from the 50's and 60' in the extras sectiion. They showed some clips and some I've never seen parts of before, mostly notable is the long lost "Medly" that was cut from the original tapes because they had used it for some other promo. Amazingly enough they found two complete tapes in a cabinet at Graceland and another at Col. Parker's house. So they were able to reconstruct the entire thing. I've got to tell you it was amazing. I've got to have it.

Then they talked to the producer and Gordon Stoker of the Jordanaires. He was asked why they stood so close to elvis and Gordon said that Elvis had asked them too because he was so nervous, but Gordon said everytime he backed up he stepped on their toes! The had to smile and sing without grimacing! Kind of funny!

That was it. The presale for the 30th anniversary concert goes on Sept. 12, 13, 14 for Elvis fans on Elvis.com.

Lost the details for the dvd box set but it comes out on Sept 15th and I think it has eight movies, one 68 comeback highlight dvd, one movie songs dvd, a script reproduction , movie poster reproductions and some other stuff. I'll try to find it.

Thanks, I'll post some pix in a few weeks when i get home.

JDD
08-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Hey everyone. Thanks for all the comments. I am so glad to hear that they are covering it on Sirius. I heard this morning that they were streaming the audio on Elvis. com somewhere, I think in the Insider's forum area. I got some audio both days. Not that good but you can hear most of what is being said. I think, if it' good enough, I'll try to transcribe if for you guys. I know I'm missing alot of good stories.

Hey great report again much appreciated. They had Pat Boone on with Doc today for I'd say 15 minutes talking about how much fun he had talking with you guys , and he told the pool story again. Sounds like a heck of a time. I'd be happy to hear anything else you care to share when you get a chance to get home and catch your breath . I guess They had Linda on the radio too or taped her for later play or something but I never heard it yet.

Donut
08-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks again MWBH !