PDA

View Full Version : How to determine dates of photo's

Leroy
07-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Hello fellow fans. In this thread I would like to provide some tools for those who would like to post pictures, but are not certain on what date the pictures were taken. Although I have to admit that even I can go wrong with that, I still think I'm able to share some knowledge. Of some pictures it's possible to determine the exact date, year and location. And of some pictures we can at least provide the year. There are some details that can be used.
First of all his hair and sideburns. Then we have off course his wardrobe although in some cases this might lead to confusion. In that case the scarves, jewelry and sometimes even the microphone he's using can provide the answer. Also things in the background can help, like the band's wardrobe.
We gonna go over it all one by one and piece by piece. I hope this thread will add something to all of you and it will be a learning process, not only for you, but for me as well.....

And off course there's room for questions...

Tommy
07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Thank you Leory(y) (y) (y)

TheQueen35
07-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks a lot! That's helpful.

ForeverTheKing
07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Yes Leroy..thanks a lot...we need something to help us sometimes :notworthy (y)

Diane
07-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Thank you Leroy it's a great idea!

geordie
07-27-2006, 01:04 AM
good idea leroy thank you

ForeverTheKing
07-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Amazing...thanks a lot Leroy..yes, it's really different!:clap:

I wait for new advices...:notworthy

Sonny
07-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Very interesting, Leroy!

Thank you.

Sonny

Tommy
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Thank you Leory for all the wonderful tips!:cool:

Menwithbrokenhearts
07-28-2006, 06:20 AM
This is so great what you are doing, Leroy! I am fascinated! More, More!(y)

Tommy
07-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Hello Leroy,

This is great stuff, so interesting and informative!!:cool: (y)

You know I am very interested in the jumpsuits and willing to learn more from you.:notworthy Also great photos to illustrate.

Many thanks,(y)

Tommy:D

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
As always a font of knowledge beyond reproach... I have a question you might know, when looking at the Jumpsuits displayed at graceland they look to have been taken in. is this the case or have they just been pinned?

Thank you my friend.

Matt

Wendy56
07-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Thank you So MUCH... :clap: Excellent Thread!

Diane
08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
This is great Leroy. Thanks for teaching us about all the little details that we normallyi overlook in the photos!

Tommy
08-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Many thanks Leroy!(y) (y) Wish you would tell some more interesting facts.

MISSCLAWDY
08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
thank you leroy, it's really interesting!!:D

Leroy
08-01-2006, 06:19 PM
To create some confusion I have to add something regarding the microphone's Elvis used. I told you that one of the main differences was the foam windscreen on the microphone. 1971 was without windscreen and 1972 with windscreen.
There is one exception: April 5th, 1972 during his concert in Buffalo, New York Elvis used his Electrovoice RE-15 without windscreen (see picture below). This was the only time during 1972 this happened.

Tommy
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Thank you Leroy!!:cool: Good to hear there is more to come!(y)

Leroy
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
In 1972 Elvis started to wear necklaces en pendants on stage. One pendant he almost constantly wore in this year is the "Gold Anch" with a black stone. He wore it through out the year (sometimes in combination with the "Gold TCB Chain") up until September 3rd, 1973.

During his November tour of 1972 in some concerts Elvis also wore his ?Three of Life? and a ?Gold Kenpo Necklace?.
I made some re-productions of these pieces. I still have to create the "Tree of Life". This was a birthday present he got from the Memphis Mafia in 1966.

Leroy
08-01-2006, 06:38 PM
In 1973 some new pieces of jewelry. First of a the "Gold Aloha Eagle". You can see Elvis wearing this piece when he got out of the helicopter during his arrival on the main island.
Then just before the satellite show Elvis received some presents. One of these presents is a gold pendant called "Hawaiian Male Vine". You can see Elvis wearing it during the show on the 14th.

Leroy
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
During his 1973 January/February engagement he wore a combination of the "Hawaiian Male Vine" and a "Lion Claw" on a long chain.

Leroy
08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Then comes the April tour of 1973. From April 22nd to April 26th Elvis only wore the single "Anch". During the show in Portland on April 27th Elvis wore the "Anch" and a "Gold Star of David" on a single chain.
During both Spokane shows on April 28th Elvis only wore the "Gold Star of David".
The rest of the tour Elvis didn't wear any necklaces.

Joe Car
08-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Brilliant stuff Leroy! Thanks for taking the time to show us some of the ways in which to distinguish what year a particular concert and suit that went with it was.

Leroy
08-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Thank you Joe, your most welcome. And keep your eyes fixed because there wil be more.

Tommy
08-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Awesome Leroy, wonderful!

Thank you, it's greatly appreciated!(y)

Tommy

Leroy
08-03-2006, 08:59 AM
During the July tour of 1973 Elvis altered between some pieces. It?s always the ?Lion Claw? (on a short chain or a long chain), the ?Anch? or the ?Blue Cross?. In Atlanta on June 21st Elvis wore the ?Lion Claw? (on a long chain) in combination with the ?Anch?. During his first show in Long Island on June 22nd it was the ?Lion Claw? on a short chain with the ?Blue Cross?. On the 23rd at 3:00 pm it was only the ?Anch? while the evening performance was for the ?Blue Cross?. The closing show was for the ?Anch?.
The two Pittsburgh concerts and the Cincinnati concert is blank for me because I don?t have any clear pictures. The same goes for Mobile at the beginning of the tour, Atlanta on July 29th, Nashville on July 1st afternoon show and Oklahoma City.
St. Louis was played with the ?Lion Claw? (long chain) with the ?Anch?. The 3:00 pm show in Atlanta on June 30th was for the ?Lion Claw? (long chain) and the ?Blue Cross? while during the evening performance only the ?Anch? was used.
During the evening show in Nashville Elvis wore the ?Lion Claw? (long chain) with the ?Blue Cross? and finally in Atlanta on the very last show of the tour it was the ?Lion Claw? (short chain) with the ?Blue Cross?.
As I?ve already mentioned I miss a couple of dates because of the lack of some good pictures. Maybe someone can help me filling out the blank spots.

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I always like the information you provide Leroy it's always concise.

Regards,

Matt

Diane
08-05-2006, 02:17 AM
This is so great Leroy, it will certainly make us take a closer look at the pictures. Thank you

Tommy
08-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Leory,

Want to thank you for the AWESOME work you did on "The History of Belts" on EPPG!:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Leroy
08-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the kind words Tommy, but don't forget Matt. He is the one that makes it all possible.

PiersEIN
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Excellent stuff Leroy, keep it up - this is great info.
I've puzzled over a few of these before but never sorted out a proper time line.
Sensational.

Thanks
Piers

Leroy
08-09-2006, 02:40 PM
To Unchained: Thank you for the compliment. I know you are a top designer yourself and hearing it from you gives me great pleasure. To tell you the truth; I can't wait to get to his rings either. I wonder how I'm gonna overcome some of the designer problems.

To Piers: Thank you for the kind reply. It's a hell of a job but someone's got to do it, right?

Tommy
08-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Thank you for the kind words Tommy, but don't forget Matt. He is the one that makes it all possible.

Never forget Matt(y) I love his awesome web sit.:cool:

cshepherd
08-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the great info. will make me look twice at a picture.

Leroy
08-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the great info. will make me look twice at a picture.

That's exactly the meaning of this all. I hope to continue this thread soon.

Ferry01
08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Leroy,

Thanks for this great thread. This is something that all the fans need, correct information. Love your designs too and I can't wait for more info on this subject. Please, go on...:clap:

Ferry

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-09-2006, 09:16 PM

I just feel honoured that you allow me to display your artwork and share your knowledge (y)

Regards,

Matt

Leroy
08-09-2006, 10:29 PM
It makes me glad my efforts are appriciated.
Unchained: I'm working with a program called Ulead PhotoImpact. During the work I save it as a UFO-file. When it's finished it'll become a JPG.
I do not master all possibilities yet, I'm still experimenting with making different kind of stones.

Leroy
08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
And now were're getting at the end of 1973. This is a very unclear period which is usual for Vegas. There are only a handful of pictures of the period before the end of the engagement. What we do know is that he altered a lot between the "Anch" and the "Blue Cross". Sometimes even the ?TCB Pendant? came around the corner. It all becomes a lot easier in the period between August 31st and September 3rd.
During the dinner show on August 31st Elvis wore the "Anch" and the "Blue Cross" together.

At an informal meeting in his dressing room just before the 3:00 am show on September 1st Elvis received a gift from the hotel; a special thick and long gold necklace called the "Hilton Bolo Chain".
Elvis would wear it throughout the rest of the year.

September 1st - 3:00 am: "Anch" + "Hilton Bolo Chain"
September 1st - Dinner show: "Anch" + "TCB Pendant" + "Hilton Bolo Chain"
September 2nd - Midnight show: "Anch" + "Hilton Bolo Chain"
September 3rd - Dinner show: "Anch" + "TCB Pendant" + "Hilton Bolo Chain"
September 3rd - 1:00 am show: "Anch" + "TCB Pendant" + "Hilton Bolo Chain"
September 3rd - Closing show: "Anch" + "TCB Pendant" + "Hilton Bolo Chain"

Leroy
08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
A somewhat mystical period is the January/February 1974 engagement in Las Vegas. Only very little is known costume wise let alone about the jewelry. What we do know is that two items were used for sure. The "Diamond Maltese Cross" he got as a present from Linda. It could be either a Christmas 1973 present or a Birthday 1974 present.
Elvis also wore another necklace during this engagement both on- and off stage. It was very hard to make out what kind of necklace it was but I have tried to re-create it a close as possible. It can be either gold or silver, I chose for the last version. If anyone out there have a better picture of this necklace please let me know.

Leroy
08-09-2006, 11:11 PM
The rest of the year 1974 Elvis kept wearing the "Diamond Maltese Cross" sometimes in combination with the "Blue Cross". During a concert in Monroe in March 1974 Elvis gave a gold necklace to a five-year-old child in the audience. This could be the "Blue Cross".
During one of the Monroe concerts he also wore the "Hawaiian Male Vine" again while during his Roanoke concert only the "Hawaiian Male Vine" was used. This was also the case in Richmond on March 12th. During the rest of the tour he would wear the "Diamond Maltese Cross".

Leroy
08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
On August 29th during the midnight show Elvis introduced one new necklace and re-introduced another one he wore briefly in 1972. It was a combination of the "White Necklace" and the "Kenpo Necklace". The first one would only last as long as the duration of the Summer Festival. The "Kenpo Necklace" would made it through until the end of Elvis' next and final tour of 1974. This necklace is a coin with a kenpo fist on it. He wore it at least one time during the November 1972 tour on a simple gold chain. The story goes that Lisa Marie made a new chain for it in 1974. And off course let's not forget the "Diamond Maltese Cross".

Leroy
08-09-2006, 11:18 PM
The beginning of 1975 was very poor in terms of necklaces. The only one ever present was the "Diamond Maltese Cross". During the April/May tour of that year Elvis would wear a necklace made of beads during a couple of concert among them the concert in Jackson, Mississippi.

And on July 14th Elvis started to wear colourful chokers both on- and off stage. Some of them belonged to the "Dark Blue Gypsy" and the "Black Aztec" and a few others were part of the infamous "Two-toned Street Suits".
With them off course the "Diamond Maltese Cross". I'm going to review the chokers in the forthcoming jumpsuit story.
The last mentioned would also be dominant during the December 1975 Vegas season.
During his closing show on December 15th Elvis wore a large disc I can't quite make out but it almost has the format of a CD. If anyone can help me here please do so.

Elvis closed 1975 in Detroit, Michigan with only the "Diamond Maltese Cross" (and a jumpsuit off course)!!!!

Leroy
08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
A new year (1976) which will show us no surprises jewelry-wise. During the first tour in March Elvis would only use the "Diamond Maltese Cross". During the second tour in April Elvis re-introduced the "Kenpo Necklace" and would wear it throughout the year together with the earlier mentioned "Diamond Maltese Cross".

At least at one date during his very last Las Vegas season Elvis wore some kind of medallion (see picture below)This could well be the "Combi Necklace" I've put below. It's a coin which contains a Christian cross, the TCB sign, the Star of David, the Hebrew Chai and an Angel. Someone asked him why he replied: "I do not want to be refused in heaven on a technicality!"

And during the last tour in December 1976 Elvis added a the "Black Cross" to his collection.

Leroy
08-09-2006, 11:32 PM
We're coming to the final stage now; 1977. During the first tour in February we can spot some differences right away. The "Diamond Maltese Cross" is disbanded and would not return. The "Kenpo Necklace" also seems to have disappeared but a close and detailed look will reveal that it only has shape shifted. The coin with the kenpo fist was layed into some kind of medallion so it's still here. During this first tour Elvis also wore the "Black Cross" and a new item was added which would stay with him for the rest of the year. A "Hebrew Chai" which was a sign for a long and healthy life (!?).

Leroy
08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
During the second tour in March Elvis would set in the routine that would last for the remaining concert tours of 1977. the "Kenpo Medallion" and the "Hebrew Chai".
This is it folks! I hope this information will give a little back up to determine dates of pictures. It could be that I will discover some forgotten pieces, if so I will update this section and let you all know.

Tommy
08-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Thank you Leroy for the great jewerly information and photos.(y) (y)

PiersEIN
08-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Just got back to this thread.
Fascinating stuff Leroy (y)
- & thanks for taking it through to 1977.

Now back to those mis-labelled photos of mine!!

Cheers
Piers

elvislady
08-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the info you have provided i especially get mixed up with dates of photos.
elvislady(y)

elvislady
08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Elvis wore "pork chop" sideburns during the 1970s.
In fact, it was during THIS decade, that Elvis let them puppies grow nice and big.
The pork chop sideburns were full and spread out on the lower corners of his cheek, near his lower jaw. They were shaped at a slant, almost like a triangle. The hair was long in length and dyed to match
i just got this pic as a example of his hair styles and side burns.
elvislady:D

Joe Car
08-28-2006, 04:55 AM
Thanks again Leroy for the info. During his August 1974 Vegas engagment, EP had really short sideburns, almost like that of the 68 special, though not quite as tidy. I wish I knew how to post pics, he was wearing sort of a western two-piece outfit.

Leroy
09-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Joe, the western outfits, as yo called them were leather two pieces. They are hand made and a Los Angeles called North Beach Leather. Elvis owned several of them but they were all bought, not specially made. These outfits were very popular in the seventies and were used by a lot of celebrities. Elvis only used a few species on stage:

Emperor
Native Flower
Sparkling Fountain
Mermaid
Wine Glass

1100ccRider
10-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Excellent stuff! We need more of this sort of thing, I think.

That ankh he wore on stage, was adorned with lapis, I believe, so the stone was a dark royal blue rather than black. He also wore at least one other ankh offstage, a much larger one (silver?) on a long chain that can be seen -- if memory serves -- in the August 30, 1974 backstage photos when Elvis is wearing the wineglass Hoban leather outfit.

The white necklace from the second 1974 Vegas season was a puka/pukka/pucca shell necklace, from Hawaii...they seem to be very trendy now but I'm the only person I've seen around yet who's got one anywhere like the size of Elvis' (most have shells or fragments of shells that are very small, maybe 5-9mm in diameter).

The diamond Maltese cross featured at the center interlocking hearts of green (emerald, I guess) and red (garnet?) stones that I believe characterized, respectively, Linda's and Elvis' birthstones.

By the way, by sheer coincidence I know a woman who has been a friend since childhood of the girl to whom Elvis gave that bejeweled cross in 1974 (in Monroe, LA)...she's handled the cross and told me she thinks the stones are tourmaline. I don't know if she's right, or who determined what the stones were cut from (a jeweler, I'd guess), but tourmaline's one of those gems that comes in a wide array of colors.

What I'd like to know more about is Elvis' '70s microphones (onstage, anyway...he used a lot more in rehearsals and so on). I know he used the re-15 (and re-10?) from 1969 to 1973, along with the SM-57 (1969 and part of '72) and the SM-53 or 54 (11/70) and whatever he used in Vegas in '71 (re-11? re-16? ds-35?), but what the heck was the one with the very long barrel he used in 1973-1974 (re-55?) and the one he used from 1975 on?

Leroy
10-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Excellent stuff! We need more of this sort of thing, I think.

That ankh he wore on stage, was adorned with lapis, I believe, so the stone was a dark royal blue rather than black. He also wore at least one other ankh offstage, a much larger one (silver?) on a long chain that can be seen -- if memory serves -- in the August 30, 1974 backstage photos when Elvis is wearing the wineglass Hoban leather outfit.

The white necklace from the second 1974 Vegas season was a puka/pukka/pucca shell necklace, from Hawaii...they seem to be very trendy now but I'm the only person I've seen around yet who's got one anywhere like the size of Elvis' (most have shells or fragments of shells that are very small, maybe 5-9mm in diameter).

The diamond Maltese cross featured at the center interlocking hearts of green (emerald, I guess) and red (garnet?) stones that I believe characterized, respectively, Linda's and Elvis' birthstones.

By the way, by sheer coincidence I know a woman who has been a friend since childhood of the girl to whom Elvis gave that bejeweled cross in 1974 (in Monroe, LA)...she's handled the cross and told me she thinks the stones are tourmaline. I don't know if she's right, or who determined what the stones were cut from (a jeweler, I'd guess), but tourmaline's one of those gems that comes in a wide array of colors.

What I'd like to know more about is Elvis' '70s microphones (onstage, anyway...he used a lot more in rehearsals and so on). I know he used the re-15 (and re-10?) from 1969 to 1973, along with the SM-57 (1969 and part of '72) and the SM-53 or 54 (11/70) and whatever he used in Vegas in '71 (re-11? re-16? ds-35?), but what the heck was the one with the very long barrel he used in 1973-1974 (re-55?) and the one he used from 1975 on?

Thank you very much for the extra info upon Elvis jewlry. You are right about the 1973 "Maltese Cross". At the time of writing this piece I didn't have a proper picture of it with the red and green stones so I used the one I had. I knew people would recognize it anyway.

As for the different microphones I can add the following.
During the rehearsals for "TTWII" Elvis used a Shure PE- 585 Dynamic.
There are also pictures of 1969 where he used a Shure 545 and a RCA HK 102.

During the September tour of 1970 he also used several different mikes.
Offcourse the usual Electrovoice RE-15, the Sure SM-53 and the AKG 1200.

The microphone he used between April 1973 and September 1973 is a mystery for me. The same goes for the microphone he used during the June tour of 1974 and during his August/September 1974 Las Vegas season.

After that he kept using the Electrovoice CS-15 E with a foam windscreen attached with electrical tape.

Polk-Salad-Annie
10-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Leroy,

Thanks for this great thread.(y) (y)
Fascinating stuff.

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-03-2006, 04:28 PM
This thread has been moved to the Jumpsuit section as a sticky thread so that it doesn't get lost in time (y)

Matt

Tommy
11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Good idea, thanks for moving it.(y)

medleyofcostumes
09-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Hello everybody,
I find it extremely difficult to determine 1977 pics since most of the time Elvis wore thSundial and King of Spades. Any help?

Leroy
09-04-2007, 07:15 AM
The years 1976 and 1977 are very difficult to date. What might help (sometimes) are the suits the band wore, rings Elvis used, electrical tape on Elvis microphone, the way Elvis' hair was fixed. At least it will narrow down the possibilities. But even I have a folder with undated pictures of 1976 and 1977 that contains a truck load.

medleyofcostumes
09-06-2007, 04:20 PM
One could determine the date of photos by looking at the members of the tcb band playing with Elvis. On some tours or Vegas engagements, other musicians filled in for the regular band. As far as I know the only 2 musicians, apart from Charlie Hodge, who played with Elvis throughout the concert years were the two guitarists ? James Burton and John Wilkinson. I will start with the drummers Elvis used live between 1969 and 1977. In 1969, Ronnie Tutt played drums in Vegas using what looks like a sparkling beige drumkit. This drumkit was only used during this engagement.

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=39172&c=41

Ronnie was not available for the Jan-Feb 1970 Vegas stint. So Bob Lanning sat in for him. Bob used a smaller drumkit with one bass drum nor two as Ronnie always used with Elvis. Lanning also played at the Astrodome:

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=29790&c=28

Ronnie returned for the Aug-Sept 1970 Vegas engagement with a black drumkit. This was replaced either in Vegas or after the engagement with a blue one which was used until July 1974. This kit is seen in ?On Tour? and ?Aloha from Hawaii?. As from the August-September 1974 Ronnie used a new larger silverish Ludwig drumkit. This was used until his final show with Elvis ? 23rd June 1977. Photos of Ronnie using this kit:

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=37990&c=35

Ronnie Tutt missed the first tour of 1976 (17 ? 22 March 1976), and Larrie London a 300 pound super drummer joined the band (Larry sadly passed away on 24 October 1992). He used a huge blue drumkit with the ?Pearl? logo on the two bass drums.

Larry played again with Elvis on the last 2 shows ? 25th and 26th June 1977 using the same drumkit.

Larry in1976 :
March 21st : http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=28050&c=34

Larry in 1977:
June 25th : http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=35380&c=35
June 26th : http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=30990&c=35

Jerome Monroe sat for Ron Tutt on the 24th of June 1977 for his sole performance with Elvis. I have not seen any clear photos of Jerome. The only one I know of where he is partially visible is:

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=27034&c=35

I hope this info was helpful to you. Next time I will talk about bass players.

medleyofcostumes
09-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Could someone please add light on this: Did Ron Tutt miss some shows from the Las Vegas December 1975 season? I found conflicting reports on the net.

Tommy
03-13-2008, 03:27 AM
Leroy,

What date/dates did Elvis where the turquoise necklace with the Nail Studded Suit?

Leroy
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
That was during the April tour of 1973 Tommy. Unfortunately I can't give you a specific date because I'm in Canada right now and therefor not able to brows my database. But I will do that as soon as I get home.... I suspect however it has to be Spokane....

Francesc
04-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Could someone please add light on this: Did Ron Tutt miss some shows from the Las Vegas December 1975 season? I found conflicting reports on the net.

Jerome Munroe played drums also in Philadelphia November 8, 1971.

The other 2

December 7, 1975 and June 24, 1977

medleyofcostumes
04-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

elvispresleytheking
09-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Is there any way to tell if a Cisco Kid Pic is from January/Feb. 1971 or Aug./Sept.?

Leroy
09-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Is there any way to tell if a Cisco Kid Pic is from January/Feb. 1971 or Aug./Sept.?

Yes there is. And it's an easy one too. In January/February there were no Cisco Kids at all. Elvis started to wear these type of outfit for the first time during the summer season at Lake Tahoe. First there were the two-piece Cisco Kids, they were used during the second half of his Lake Tahoe season and the first part of his August/September engagement in Las Vegas. The jumpsuit versions of the Cisco Kids were introduced in Las Vegas. Hope this answers you question.

MojoElvis
09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
The "older" suits have not been taken in. But I strongly believe the more recent suits as the "Mexican Sundial" and the 1974 "Arabian" were taken in a bit. It would also fit into the policy of EPE as a way of denying Elvis' weight problem.

I asked the security guard at Graceland if they had taken in the sundial suit cause it look totally different from the CBS Special in the profile. He said, No Elvis was only a 38 waist when he did that show. But it looked more like a 34 waist at the most. Also the belt didn't have any extra white showing from Elvis expanding it to fit his waist. The design came up close to the buckle.

I always noticed how EPE constantly repackages, the 68 comeback and The Aloha show like them two shows where Elvis' only accomplishments in life. and in my Opinion, Aloha was a fine show but I think I've seen him a lot better in some of those 8mm films and even the MSG shows.

MojoElvis
09-07-2008, 11:07 AM
The "older" suits have not been taken in. But I strongly believe the more recent suits as the "Mexican Sundial" and the 1974 "Arabian" were taken in a bit. It would also fit into the policy of EPE as a way of denying Elvis' weight problem.

I asked the security guard at Graceland if they had taken in the sundial suit cause it look totally different from the CBS Special in the profile. He said, No Elvis was only a 38 waist when he did that show. But it looked more like a 34 waist at the most. Also the belt didn't have any extra white showing from Elvis expanding it to fit his waist. The design came up close to the buckle.

I always noticed how EPE constantly repackages, the 68 comeback and The Aloha show like them two shows where Elvis' only accomplishments in life. and in my Opinion, Aloha was a fine show but I think I've seen him a lot better in some of those 8mm films and even the MSG shows.

beckelvis
09-07-2008, 03:28 PM
is very interesting,im charmed with the idea,you are brillant thans you my friend,

elvispresleytheking
09-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Thank you!

beckelvis
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
(y)Thank you for your work of inforum us abaout everything(you are genial):notworthy:notworthy

1100ccRider
09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Yes there is. And it's an easy one too. In January/February there were no Cisco Kids at all. Elvis started to wear these type of outfit for the first time during the summer season at Lake Tahoe. First there were the two-piece Cisco Kids, they were used during the second half of his Lake Tahoe season and the first part of his August/September engagement in Las Vegas. The jumpsuit versions of the Cisco Kids were introduced in Las Vegas. Hope this answers you question.

I always wondered about that because there're so many photos about that claim to be from February, 1971 that show Elvis in a Cisco jumpsuit (usually the one with green yokes). And, from memory, I think most of the offending video and photographic material that claims thus shows Elvis with the ebony Dove guitar rather than his blond J-200, further indicating to me that they're from August.

There's a photo about of Elvis with the Imperials that's supposedly from February 23, and in that photo it's a Cisco outfit he's wearing (it looks like he's wearing a jumpsuit). Could he possibly have snuck in a Cisco outfit then or is this photo also from August?

Leroy
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I always wondered about that because there're so many photos about that claim to be from February, 1971 that show Elvis in a Cisco jumpsuit (usually the one with green yokes). And, from memory, I think most of the offending video and photographic material that claims thus shows Elvis with the ebony Dove guitar rather than his blond J-200, further indicating to me that they're from August.

There's a photo about of Elvis with the Imperials that's supposedly from February 23, and in that photo it's a Cisco outfit he's wearing (it looks like he's wearing a jumpsuit). Could he possibly have snuck in a Cisco outfit then or is this photo also from August?

Do you mean the picture I have attached in this reply? If so then it's from August. During the January/February season he looked more like he did at the end of 1970.

beckelvis
10-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Thank You Leroy,very Interesting And Very Useful,it Is Good To Know Things That One Not Wise,good Work(y)

noone
04-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Leroy
in the book "Caught in a Trap" there is pictures from 31. august midnight in "Black Spanish Flower Suit" so why is Elvis in the "Lava Suit" when he gott the "Gold Chain" is this dates wrong??
31. august 1973 dinner show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 Black Spanish Flower Suit (with green stones) & Original Belt
31. august 1973 midnight show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 White Spanish Flower Suit & Original Belt
1. sept. 1973 dinner show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 Blue Vine Suit & Original Belt X
1. sept. 1973 midnight show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 Lava Suit & Original Belt X
2. sept. 1973 3.00 am show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00
2. sept. 1973 dinner show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 Blue Starurst Suit & Original Belt X
2. sept. 1973 midnight show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 Blue Vine Suit & Original Belt X
3. sept. 1973 dinner show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 White Spanish Flower Suit & Original Belt X
3. sept. 1973 closing Show Las Vegas, Nevada 22.00 Arabian Suit & Original Belt X

The X is where he is wearing the "Gold Chain" he got from Hilton

So if i understand this right it is a 3.00 am show on the 1. september, and not on the 2. september....well that make sense if you look at the pictures....am i right??

Leroy
04-14-2009, 01:03 PM
The list should be like this:

Aug 31st - Dinner Show: Black Spanish Flower (Blue/green stones)
Aug 31st - Midnight Show: White Spanish Flower

Sept 1st - Dinner Show: Aqua Vine + Hilton Bolo Chain
Sept 1st/2nd - Midnight Show: ?????????

Sept 2nd - 3 am Show: Lava Suit + Hilton Bolo Chain
Sept 2nd - Dinner Show: ???????
Sept 2nd/3rd - Midnight Show: Blue Starburst + Hilton Bolo Chain

Sept 3rd - 1 am Show: Blue Starburst + Hilton Bolo Chain
Sept 3rd - Dinner Show: White Spanish Flower + Hilton Bolo Chain
Sept 3rd/4th - Closing Show: Arabian Suit + Hilton Bolo Chain

It is kinda confusing. The 3 am show on Sept 1st is actually Sept 2nd because it happened after midnight. That is when a new day is born.
So technically Elvis received that Hilton Bolo Chain in the wee hours of the morning on Sept 2nd. And... still technically.... the closing show happened on Sept 4th.....

I hope this helped a bit.

medleyofcostumes
04-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks Leroy, as always the No. 1 in jumpsuit info!!!!

What suits were worn in Las Vegas and in Lake Tahoe?

That has always been a mind boggling question for me

The only ones I am ALMOST sure of are:

Las Vegas August 1975
1. Eskimo Totem (Gypsy) - Red Scallop Belt
2. Eskimo Totem (Gypsy) - Original Belt
3. Chicken Bone (Aztec) - Original Belt
4. Chicken Bone (Aztec) - Light Blue Scallop Belt
5. Black & White Two-Toned (Penguin) - Jacket of 1 and pants of another

Las Vegas December 1976
1. Red Phoenix - Original Belt 2
2. Chief (Indian)- Chief Belt 2
3. Egyptian (Inca Gold) - Chief Buckle
4. Blue Swirl (Rainbow) - White Scallop belt
5. Arabian 2 (Ace of Spades) - original belt

But what about the other engagements?

To have the jumpsuits from all shows is close to impossible, but is it possible to give us the jumpsuits worn from each Vegas and Tahoe engagement?

noone
04-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Leroy
But if Elvis get the Hilton Bolo Chain september 2 befor 3.00am how is it possible he is using it on Sept 1st - Dinner Show: Aqua Vine + Hilton Bolo Chain...

This is something wrong here is`nt it??? or.....

Thank you Leroy I`ve learnd a lott from you....

elvispresleytheking
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Also, beside the one with the short winged fringe suit, are there any pictures we KNOW are from the Winter 71 Vegas engagement.
I also think it would be helpful to have something about the guitars used.

Leroy
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Leroy
But if Elvis get the Hilton Bolo Chain september 2 befor 3.00am how is it possible he is using it on Sept 1st - Dinner Show: Aqua Vine + Hilton Bolo Chain...

This is something wrong here is`nt it??? or.....

Thank you Leroy I`ve learnd a lott from you....

I think there's only one answer possible to that. The pictures in "Caught In Trap" with Elvis wearing the "Aqua Vine" are not from the dinner show on the 1st, but from the 2nd. It wouldn't be the first time that pictures in a book are dated wrong.

noone
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Yes that`t true.......I thougt the same but this book look so right in a way, but I don`know.

Thank you

beckelvis
04-17-2009, 04:51 PM
VERY INTERESTING!

elvispresleytheking
05-15-2009, 04:34 PM
One of the most important differences in this case, something that is obvious right away is the microphone, or.... better said; the way he is using the microphone. [/COLOR]
The type of microphone is a Electrovoice RE-15. This was his favourite mike for many years. He used it during 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 and part of 1973.
The important difference is that before 1972 he didn't use a black foam windscreen on it. On the pictures below you can see the differences. The left pictures are from 1971 where you can see the microphone does not have the black foam windscreen. The pictures on the right are the 1972 version with the foam windscreen attached to the mike.

Leroy, I've noticed pictures as early as 1969 where he is using a windscreen, and pictures as late as 1974 where he isn't. COuld you please clarify?

Leroy
05-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Leroy, I've noticed pictures as early as 1969 where he is using a windscreen, and pictures as late as 1974 where he isn't. COuld you please clarify?

I'm not familiar with Elvis using a foam windscreen in 1969. If you have any photographic evidence on that, it would surely help.

I do know that during the Jan/Feb 1974 season in Las Vegas, Elvis tried out several different types of microphones. He also used the ElectroVoice RE-15 without windscreen during both his Houston Astrodome concerts in March 1974.

elvispresleytheking
05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm not familiar with Elvis using a foam windscreen in 1969. If you have any photographic evidence on that, it would surely help.

I do know that during the Jan/Feb 1974 season in Las Vegas, Elvis tried out several different types of microphones. He also used the ElectroVoice RE-15 without windscreen during both his Houston Astrodome concerts in March 1974.

Leroy, I found this pic. from 69 with the windscreen in the gallery
http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=83125&c=41

karlos
09-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks Leroy -its very interesting -

easyrider
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks Leroy for info.

beckelvis
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks Leroy very interesting post.:clap::clap::hug:

dicke.katze
01-31-2010, 07:17 PM
One of the best (and most important) threads ever!

TCB,

Thomas

Leroy
02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the kind words Dicke. I really appreciate that.

Lisarose
05-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Leroy, great stuff, here. One favor, on page4, post #67 , you referenced some photos from the gallery - of course, since the update, the photos are "not found".
would love to see these again, I know, more work for you, but as you find time, would greatly appreciate this.

and a question, in later concerts, Elvis wore a choker with his costume, am I right to assume it was merely part of the costume and not personal jewelry?

Leroy
07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Good question about the chokers. They started out as a part of his personal wardrobe. Elvis had a few "Two-toned Street Suits" made (the fans nicknamed these suits "Peguin Suits") The one in the picture you posted belongs to one of the "Two-toned Street Suits".
Just before the July tour Elvis ordered several extra chokers to use on stage. Therefor you can see that the one he used on the 1975 "Eskimo Totem Pole" matches the suit.

As for the article you referred to..... I need to scroll back and let you know at a later date. I will keep in touch.

Dany
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Thank you very much friend. You made a great work.