PDA

View Full Version : Reading Books About Elvis

MauriceColgan
07-07-2006, 08:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/Scotty.jpg

Elvis and Glady', An excellent book but a little heavy on the schoolgirl psychology. Read it years ago and often return to it for research.

Scotty Moore's book is fascinating. Bought this revised edition just last week. Of course meeting Scotty backstage in Dublin Ireland was a very special treat for us. A lovely well mannered man.

We have quite a library of books about Elvis...it just keeps growing:-)

What is your favourite Elvis book?

VEP
07-07-2006, 09:57 PM
My favorite Elvis Book is : Revelations by the Memphis Mafia

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 12:09 AM
This one is one of my favourites.LOL. I think it was the first Elvis book I purchased.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/LETME.jpg

graceland123
07-08-2006, 01:12 AM
my favourite is probably larry gellers book. very deep and very truthful.
Elvis confided so much of his inner feelings to larry and its probably the closest we`ll ever get to what Elvis was really like and what he felt.

Dovey
07-08-2006, 01:34 AM
That is my favorite book also Graceland123.... at least it is believeable!!!;)

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 10:03 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/Voice3.jpg

Discerning Elvis fans will appreciate this book by a Rachmaninoff biographer:)

Elvis books that I would find less important, I get from our well stocked library which is just two minutes from our home.

All the Elvis books I have ordered from the library have arrived within a couple of weeks(y)

polksaladhasie
07-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0060176199.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056413957_.jpg

anything about this book? :hmm: I just "buyed" it today and will get it per mail...

07-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Elvis and the Memphis Mafia is one of the best Elvis books written in my opinion.

I enjoyed Larry's book as well, the other books mentioned in this thread apart from Elvis and Galdys are not worth reading if you want to know about Elvis himselvis! Look at some of the literary discussions on some of the websites and the best books keeping coming up again and again.

Eve
07-08-2006, 01:01 PM
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9348/393815200103lzzzzzzz6qc.jpg

Donut
07-08-2006, 02:20 PM
my favourite is probably larry gellers book. very deep and very truthful.
Elvis confided so much of his inner feelings to larry and its probably the closest we`ll ever get to what Elvis was really like and what he felt.

One of my favorites too (y) it shows Elvis from a more human point of view. I enjoyed june Juanico?s book too but sometimes i wonder how memories can be so accurate :hmm: ...

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 04:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE001.jpg

Comprehensive reading is the key. The more books the merrier, some salt is required when reading the likes of Geller, and a few others too. :D

07-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes Pop Club would give a much better insight than someone who was actually there!

elvislady
07-08-2006, 04:28 PM
i agree elvis and the memphis mafia is one of the best books i have read. also (elvis and cathy)( me n elvis by charlie hodge) larry geller. and (elvis what happend ).
i enjoyed all these books.
elvislady:clap:

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Priscilla was there too:D Maybe not a genius like Geller though. Mystic nonsense does little to enhance the Elvis story.

But I guess a few fools will always fall for the words of charlatans.

Thank goodness we have a lot more Elvis books by really intelligent authors to explore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE002-1.jpg

07-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I agree Elvis Lady. All really good books, and of course first hand info is always the best. I prefer it to some authors interpretation, I can come to my conclusions....don't need someone else to form an opinion for me, although some of them are well written and an interesting read.

The guys are great to listen to and read and hear all the stories about Elvis. Charlie was a ncie guy and the few times I met him found his stories on Elvis while we sitting down chatting very interesting, he never liked to talk about Aug 16th 1977 though. Can't blame him for that,

JDD
07-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Priscilla was there too:D Maybe not a genius like Geller though. Mystic nonsense does little to enhance the Elvis story.

Thank goodness we have a lot more Elvis books by really intelligent authors to explore.

I don't know Maurice, if you disregard all the "mystic nonsense"that Geller and Elvis were into, that all the other guys say they spent hours locked away discussing those types of books, you lose a whole piece of the puzzle IMO. Have you seen the lists of the books that Elvis himself read?
He was obviously interested in some of what some of us would call Nonsense and that all helped shape the man. In some folks opinions I'm not supposed to be interested in the man behind the legend but I am. I like to read about what he was interested in, and believed, and didn't believe. It doesn't change what I believe, I can figure that out with or without Elvis, but it does give me a insight that interests me into Elvis himself.

Personally I'd love to get a chance to kick back sometime and look through Elvis copies of his Erik Van Daniken books he had all over the place, and the shroud of tourin books and his others, just to read the notes that he supposedly wrote all over inside them.

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 04:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE003.jpg

It's a great pity Elvis did not have really intelligent people to talk with.

The crap Elvis read did him as much good as it does the lunatic fringe associated with that kind of rubbish. It hardly set him on a course to be recommended!!!

07-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Your post says it all. Larry Geller is a good friend of mine and I can assure you he is an intelligent man as are most of the Memphis Mafia, they are all successful in their own right after Elvis.

Your opinion of Elvis's interests is really very telling.

Eve
07-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Elvis is said to be the most photographed man in history, if not the most photographed person. This book answers the question "who is Elvis standing with on that picture?"

Design

The book is a big sized, full color book with a really cool picture on the front; just Elvis, no other celebrity. The quality of the pictures is overall good, but due to the subject and the various sources some variation in quality, but that is to be expected.

Content

The title covers the content perfectly; Elvis and other celebrities. This book answers the question "who is Elvis standing with on that picture?" with a background on all the persons photographed with Elvis. It is nice to see that in the beginning Elvis is photographed with others, while in the end others are photographed with Elvis.

Especially on the early pictures (e.g. backstage at the
Opry) you can see Elvis is proud to have his picture taken with the celebrities he met on tour. But looking back, all people will probably say, "I had my picture taken with Elvis" and own a little piece of history.

The last celebrity to meet Elvis is Elvis fan Bruce Springsteen on may 28th. 1977, but no photo exists.

Browsing through the pages and see all the familiar and some unfamiliar faces and read the background on these people and their meeting with Elvis. A lot of pictures are known, but the author managed to find a few original pictures of Elvis and other celebrities we didn?t know.

Conclusion

A very interesting A-Z book, not just about Elvis, but also about all the people Elvis met, or was it the other way around? As a fan, this is a good addition to any collection to have facts and details on hand when you need them.

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/7550/elvispresleyandothercelebritie.jpg

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm interested in Elvis's best music first and foremost.

The gossip of Elvis's so-called friends is just that, gossip. We read it and forget it.

Then we read again the many excellent books about Elvis's and his astounding career in music.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE004.jpg

07-08-2006, 05:50 PM
You judge a man by the company he keeps. E kept great company from my experiences with his friends. Most people seem to find his life fascinating as well as his music.

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 06:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE005.jpg

I'm an Elvis fan. I know and have met some of his friends. I met people who went to school with him. Spoke to them at length.

They had some interesting stories to tell but the bottom line is we are here because of Elvis's voice, all the rest is just window dressing.

Now let me see which was Ludwig Van Beethoven's "Irish" symphony?

JDD
07-08-2006, 06:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE003.jpg

It's a great pity Elvis did not have really intelligent people to talk with.

The crap Elvis read did him as much good as it does the lunatic fringe associated with that kind of rubbish. It hardly set him on a course to be recommended!!!

I disagree there Maurice. It gave him something to think about and occupy his thoughts , and search for answers to. By all accounts he loved reading and discussing this stuff with others. Reading, and thinking are highly reccomended courses.

07-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Great, which of Elvis's friends do you know and have spoken with at length? I know most of the guys and im sure they would be interested to know some of E's "friends" are leading fans to come to the conclusions you have.

Elvis's life story is what sells countless books....it's the theme of this thread! Most of the books your putting pictures up of don't focus on his music! The window dressing is mainly what they are about!

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE006.jpg

Yes Thinking is important. It's the quality that matters to me. The Elvis Conference got a Helluvalot of people thinking............including yours truly. I met Dr Vernon Chadwick in Oxford Mississppi 1999 and spent two days with him discussing Elvis.

I don't expect people to agree with my considered oppinion of Elvis and his friends.
You will find your own truth..we all do if we think long enough about a subject.

Eve
07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Without any doubt the best book about Elvis ever. After the original Dutch and French versions, there is an updated German version now.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/3089/menschundmythos4oe.jpg

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Eve, you could be right, But I reserve judgement till I have read that book :D

07-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Still....which of Elvis's friends have you discussed Elvis at length with?

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 06:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE007.jpg

0349054, Is this the inquisition? We have not been introduced as far as I know:D Suffice to say I have allways produced photos and documentation to back up my claims................................. and you are?

07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm an Elvis fan. Unlike you I don't bear all on the net. Your claims about knowing and talking with Elvis's friends is what I was asking about. Never seen a picture or documentation to support that!

elvislady
07-08-2006, 07:04 PM
has anyone read (good rockin tonight) by joe esposito. that book is a nice read .
elvislady:D

MauriceColgan
07-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm an Elvis fan. Unlike you I don't bear all on the net. Your claims about knowing and talking with Elvis's friends is what I was asking about. Never seen a picture or documentation to support that!

Well you are such a good friend of all the Memphis Mafia can we see some pics of you with them?

I guess not.

But I don't bear (sic) quite everything:D Just the bare facts about SOME of our little Elvis stories.

A few fools on Elvis messsage board strut around mocking the efforts of others but have nothing to contribute themselves. They of course feign modesty:D

But I'm having fun playing with you.

Goodnight I'll be back tomorrow.........:D ...er maybe...if you are lucky:P

geordie
07-08-2006, 09:06 PM
last train to memphis and careless love are in my humble opinion 2 of the best books i have read about the king

07-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Course im not putting pics up, I have better things to do than scan them all in and besides I wouldent give you the pleasure of seeing me. You might get excited pops!

Since your so popular (not) and everyone loves ya here and on the Collectors board as well....lets take a popularity vote for you Maurice......who here likes ya?

Go sell some more vaccum cleaners, and don't pretend to be educated, any old fool can sell vac's! You look what you are.........weird!

But keep playing with me, were all getting a good laugh off you!

Well you are such a good friend of all the Memphis Mafia can we see some pics of you with them?

I guess not.

But I don't bear (sic) quite everything:D Just the bare facts about SOME of our little Elvis stories.

A few fools on Elvis messsage board strut around mocking the efforts of others but have nothing to contribute themselves. They of course feign modesty:D

But I'm having fun playing with you.

Goodnight I'll be back tomorrow.........:D ...er maybe...if you are lucky:P

JDD
07-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Since your so popular (not) and everyone loves ya here and on the Collectors board as well....lets take a popularity vote for you Maurice......who here likes ya?

Sorry to interrupt here , but whats the collectors board?

franny
07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry to interrupt here , but whats the collectors board?

I think this is the Collectors board...
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/index.php

franny

JDD
07-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks Franny.

MauriceColgan
07-09-2006, 06:16 AM
0349054, Now you are showing your true colours. What a creep!

As for my brief few months selling Vacuum Cleaners in 1960 (That info appeared in the "Memphis Business Journal") I guess I met hundreds of people of all walks of life in their own homes back then, so it was an educational experience:D This may surprise you but I do have many friends on FECC including Ger Riff, you'll see his name on the book below. In fact I had a letter from Ger during the week.

I'm sure these kind of gratuitous personal attacks make you popular with the moderators here? I think I know who you are anyway.....my child! You are not as bright as you think you are :P I wonder just how many books about Elvis you have read...very few I would guess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE008.jpg

NEA
07-09-2006, 06:54 AM
F * * * this, I don't know why I bother with these Forums!

Menwithbrokenhearts
07-09-2006, 07:03 AM
I don't know Maurice, if you disregard all the "mystic nonsense"that Geller and Elvis were into, that all the other guys say they spent hours locked away discussing those types of books, you lose a whole piece of the puzzle IMO. Have you seen the lists of the books that Elvis himself read?
He was obviously interested in some of what some of us would call Nonsense and that all helped shape the man. In some folks opinions I'm not supposed to be interested in the man behind the legend but I am. I like to read about what he was interested in, and believed, and didn't believe. It doesn't change what I believe, I can figure that out with or without Elvis, but it does give me a insight that interests me into Elvis himself.

Personally I'd love to get a chance to kick back sometime and look through Elvis copies of his Erik Van Daniken books he had all over the place, and the shroud of tourin books and his others, just to read the notes that he supposedly wrote all over inside them.

I agree JDD! I am starting to read some of the books he had. Very interesting stuff. Kind of lets you get inside his head a bit. And about the notes he had in books, I would go to Graceland just for that alone!

MauriceColgan
07-09-2006, 07:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE009.jpg

The more we read the better.

JDD
07-09-2006, 07:19 AM
I agree JDD! I am starting to read some of the books he had. Very interesting stuff. Kind of lets you get inside his head a bit. And about the notes he had in books, I would go to Graceland just for that alone!

I know there is copyright issues and its not likely to ever happen but It would be cool to me if they reproduced some of them Highlited, notes etc . I'd pay to have an "elvis version" of one of those books.

Menwithbrokenhearts
07-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Larry Gellar was an outlet for Elvis and sort of a guide. Maybe some of his ideas were way out there and that's ok, I don't think Elvis was naive enough to believe everything he read or heard. When you're searching, you take what you need and leave the rest that doesn't work for you. Elvis had an open mind (read Sandi Miller's thread on the Insider's Forum) and he loved to talk with others at length and listen to what they had to say. It's an amazing thing to "discover" something. I have read Larry's book and I feel he had Elvis' best interests in mind even though he takes credit (like alot of the ones who knew Elvis do) for a little too much in Elvis' life, but like Charlie, he filled a need for Elvis and that's good in my book.

Other books I would recommend are:

Peter Guralnick's books
Alanna Nash's books
Elvis and Gladys
A life in Music
Charlie Hodge's book
Elvis and June
John Wilkinson's book
Child Bride
Day by Day
The Concert Years - for photos
most Joe Tunzi books ( expensive but most are excellent) - for photos
Jerry Hopkins books seem ok.

I ordered Jerry Schilling's book (looks good and the reviews are coming in great!)
I know he is an EPE guy but I believe he cared for Elvis and it seems his intentions are good with this book

I ordered Joe Esposito's new book for the simple fact that it has all the interviews, in chronological order, from the excellent documentary " The Definitive Elvis" which is about 11 hours I think. The book is almost 600 pages! It will be cool to have it in written form for reference.

STAY AWAY FROM; the Stanley books (absolute trash) , "Are you Lonesome Tonight", Elvis by the Presleys, most of the dime store paperbacks (most were published by gossip rags like the Enquirer and Star in the 70's and 80's), "Elvis and Me" (too one sided), "Elvis - What Happened" ,( most may be true but it is slanted to be sensationalistic ), Albert Goldman's books( absolute trash), "Is Elvis Alive?), and the list goes on and on. ...... Everyone trying to make money or a name....

Look around, most of the same good ones keep coming up as favorites on other threads, sites and forums. (like someone else mentioned)

"The Death of Elvis" was brought up on another thread. Be careful with this one. It rings truer than any I have read on the subject and fits all the pieces together nicely but it is very graphic and will put images in your head that won't go away.

***Still waiting for Linda Thompson's book!*******

***ok, first time I edited a reply like that. Too much venting like that can be hazardous to your health!

Menwithbrokenhearts
07-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I know there is copyright issues and its not likely to ever happen but It would be cool to me if they reproduced some of them Highlited, notes etc . I'd pay to have an "elvis version" of one of those books.

I agree, or even a book that included pages photocopied from some of the books. Especially "The Impersonal Life" . I just started that one and it would be interesting to see what he thought about it.

MauriceColgan
07-09-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm an atheist Elvis's quest for meaning in those rubbish books was just an example of a man wasting valuable time.

Not all the books I have are sensationalist, but jumping to stupid conclusions is common here.

The vast majority of the Elvis fans I have met away from message boards have been polite and for the most part had very good manners. Just a few *****s on Elvis message boards can reduce them to the lowest level by their absolute infantile behaviour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE010.jpg

This book by Dr Vernon Chadwick, who started the famous International Conference on Elvis Presley at Mississippi University, is well worth reading. We spent a couple of very enjoyable and informative days with Vernon back in September 1999. The New York Times described Dr Vernon Chadwick as "Perhaps the foremost Scholar on Elvis".

If some people here want to live in the Dark ages so be it. By attempting to ridicule other Elvis fans they ruin the tone here for everyone. I'm tired of the childish display of jealousy on this messagge board. Cheerio:D

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

07-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Thats a good book, as is The Prophet by Kahil Gibran. Autobiography of Yogi was another one of Elvis's favourites.

Elvis was a very smart guy, not the hick a lot of people think he was. He was super intelligent and strove to expand his horizons. Let me know what you think of the book, I found it very enjoyable.

I agree, or even a book that included pages photocopied from some of the books. Especially "The Impersonal Life" . I just started that one and it would be interesting to see what he thought about it.

Sonny
07-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Keep it nice, you guys...

PM each other if you have some problems, but don't bother us with it, please.

I hope the both of you understand what I'm saying.

Bye,
Sonny

Menwithbrokenhearts
07-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Thats a good book, as is The Prophet by Kahil Gibran. Autobiography of Yogi was another one of Elvis's favourites.

Elvis was a very smart guy, not the hick a lot of people think he was. He was super intelligent and strove to expand his horizons. Let me know what you think of the book, I found it very enjoyable.

I have that one too. It's next on my list. I will let you know. Thanks

Sonny, sorry and thanks, :D :blush: I guess I am just tired of all the senationalistic garbage that poses as journalism that saturates the Elvis world. You literally have to wade through it.

Cryogenic
07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Maurice... I have been greatly enjoying your book covers here. Literally the covers! Good to see them old and bashed up like that. Makes me feel nostalgic. There's nothing more intriguing than a book that's long out of print and has years to its appearance. I hope to acquire some of those titles in the future.

Critical thinking must be applied to all of them -- including Guralnick's. Some are better than others (e.g. Guralnick's), but if one is to understand the infinite subtleties of the world, culture and the people that live in and define it, one must try and read as much as one can. Knowledge is power.

MauriceColgan
07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE011.jpg

Thanks for your interest Cryogenic. We have been busy with a visitor (My sister Rita from South Wales, we have have been touring scenes of our childhood herein Ireland:-) hence the delay in responding.

The book above was actually presented to us in our home by John O' Hara. It's a mine of info about Elvis. John lives close to the Brooklyn bridge in New York. He is a BIG guy, made me feel like a leprechaun standing close to him:blush:

Many of the Elvis books we read back in the past were given to family and friends so our collection is not as comprehensive as it once was. We also rely on our local library for those we would read but do not actually want to keep eg "Infinite Elvis" etc. Our library is so close to our home we can borrow many of the Elvis books whenever we need them.

MauriceColgan
07-15-2006, 07:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE013.jpg

An Albert Hand publication 1981.

Hundreds of Elvis monthlies edited by Albert Hand kept us up to date in the early years. Some of the one shilling editions are close by. Pure nostalgia :)

thehillbillycat
07-15-2006, 09:10 PM
I am surprise that no one has told about the book "To Elvis, With Love". I think this is the most important book to get of Elvis. It is based on a true story about Karen Brown who was a young child who had cerebral palsy. Her whole life she was in a home for disabled children. All attempts to reach her failed. But then, a young nurse's aide, Lena Canada becomes deeply involved in Karen's rehabilitation. Over protests from doctors, Lena devotes herself to drawing the child out of her shell. Eventually Karen finds an outlet for her suppressed emotions through a surprising pen-pal - Elvis Presley. He send her gifts and they wrote back to each other. Elvis was going to visit her but she passed away, they never met. Sadden over the lost Elvis took time from his life to go to her funeral.

Karen Brown was only 10 years old when she died but she found the love she ever needed from Elvis.

I think you need to read this book or watch the movie Touched By Love, which is based on that book. Both are very hard to come by anymore.

Karen Brown (1953-1963)

The letters that she wrote to Elvis was displayed at Graceland but I never been there. I have friends who saw those letters there about 10 years ago. I don't know if they are still displayed or not.

graceland123
07-16-2006, 01:02 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE002-1.jpgwho is saying larry was a genius ,he was someone who spent years with elvis and a lot of deep personal conversations that he didnt have with perhaps Joe or some of the other guys
he perhaps felt embarrased to reveal a lot of his inner feelings to the others about god etc as they didnt share his beliefs
larrys book provided a great insight into elvis s personality and shouldnt be wrote off as mystic nonsense

MauriceColgan
07-16-2006, 09:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE014.jpg

By Geoffrey Guiliano 1994.

Those interested in the ramblings of Geller can enjoy reading his books if they so desire :D

My approach is to read all the books, essays, articles, etc and think for myself.

07-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Maybe you should try speaking with people who knew him, instead of dismissing mystic nonsense. Your beliefs aren't exactly in line with other peoples or Elvis's by the looks of it. You must really have a low opinion of the man, seeing as you have your PhD and Elvis doesent.

MauriceColgan
07-16-2006, 03:01 PM
On the contrary, I have a very high oppinion of the late Elvis Presley. He was the greatest popular singer ever!

My family and I, and hundreds of millions more hold the wonderful music of Ludwig Van Beethoven in great esteem, what do we know of his friends oppinions? :D The great music is the real important factor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE015.jpg 1976. A first edition.

I met and spoke with George Klein, Richard Davis (RIP) in Mississppi, and Scotty Moore, etc but I was an Elvis fan long before I met any of them.

Probably before you were born too:-)

07-16-2006, 03:50 PM
More than likely, however more years makes little difference.

Beethoven composed, Elvis sang. Not as much can be read into an Elvis song as a Beethoven one. But I guess Elvis, Larry and anyone who has any religious or spiritual inclinations are just following mystic nonsense as you suggested! What a fountain of knowledge you are!

MauriceColgan
07-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Hmmmmm do I detect a little sarcasm:D The lowest form of wit.

I love Elvis's Gospel music.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE016.jpg

07-16-2006, 08:07 PM
But it's the highest form of intelligence!

Surely someone as educated and well read as yourself must know this? Your participation in a multitude of threads which focus on every facet of Elvis's life and legacy on this forum has to prove this.

If you just stuck to one or two threads and rarely ventured beyond them to expand on Elvis's life then we would all be bitterly dissapointed, as you offer such insight from the many enlightened authors you have read!!!!

MauriceColgan
07-16-2006, 08:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE019.jpg First published 1987. This edition 1991.

I guess you'll be asking me to sing all the Elvis songs next :D

I'm sure the authors of the books would rather people read the books themselves.

Most here are young enough to collect a sizable library of Elvis books. Of course they can always read your posts instead and gain, whatever......... So far nothing you have contributed has impressed me so far....what am I missing?

Before all the Elvis books was Elvis's career as we witnessed it develope...probably before you were born.

A very nice Elvis fan webmaster in Australia has requested me to write a tribute to Elvis for the 29th Anniversary. Do you remember the Elvis Presley 25th Anniversary Declaration ? Try google ;)

07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
I look forward to reading your masterpiece! You have such a way with English......a budding journalist perhaps?

Your so so naive Maurice, if you had intelligence you may actually be dangerous!

Maybe if you read some of my posts on the OTHER topics you may gain something......god knows you need that about as badly as a makeover!

Still I must be keeping you from your doctors appointment or perhaps the toilet....I know that you tend to lose control of the old bowels from time to time.....still it comes with age!

Have a great day and make sure you take your vitamins, they may help you stick around a few more years, and I so want to read the waffle you will be coming out with at that stage!

It's great having you here, hours upon hours of fun!!!:notworthy:notworthy

MauriceColgan
07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Intelligent readers will of course see your pathetic attempt to appear clever.

I'm sure the moderators will appreciate your continued personal attacks...from sheer jealousy of course :P It's quite apparent for all discerning readers to see.

Now don't wet your nappy again in a rush to reply. I'm done with your infantile baiting.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE019.jpg First published 1987. This edition 1991.

spinout-designs
07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm sure the moderators will appreciate

What the moderators at TCB-World appreciate are members who can express differences of opinion in a civilised manner, whilst refraining from personal arguments and name calling.

Topics descending into personal arguments and name calling will not be tollerated here at TCB-World, this is the second time a moderator has had to step in on this topic.

Please keep it friendly and on topic. We won't be asking a third time.

Thank you.

MauriceColgan
07-17-2006, 08:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE021.jpg

The book above was aquired fairly recently at a bargain price. Many Elvis books do turn up in second-hand/used book stores.

Moderator: I rarely instigate unpleasantness but I am often the recipient...yes I understand why...but that's not my problem.

I'd rather you terminated my account than be included amongst the trouble makers.

elvislady
07-17-2006, 06:18 PM
i bought larry geller, and joyca bova,s books in second hand shops for next to nothing. there are some great bargins out there.
elvislady(y)

07-18-2006, 05:01 PM
What the moderators at TCB-World appreciate are members who can express differences of opinion in a civilised manner, whilst refraining from personal arguments and name calling.

Topics descending into personal arguments and name calling will not be tollerated here at TCB-World, this is the second time a moderator has had to step in on this topic.

Please keep it friendly and on topic. We won't be asking a third time.

Thank you.

Don't worry im finished conversing with "yours truly".

Recently speaking with Larry Geller he found that persons beliefs about Elvis wasting time on religion bizzare.

( See we all can name drop and act the *** - just some have more calibre. )

MauriceColgan
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
i bought larry geller, and joyca bova,s books in second hand shops for next to nothing. there are some great bargins out there.
elvislady(y)

Hi elvislady, Some of the low calibre Elvis books need to be bargains:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/ELAINE023.jpg

An excellent source of very interesting info about Elvis.

It was a gift from Vernon Chadwick when we met him in Oxford Mississippi September 1999.

07-18-2006, 07:23 PM
elvislady(y)

Yeah Larrys books are good. Don't mind the other *****, he claims not to be an antagonist but sure god love him he is.

Have you read many of the spiritual books Elvis spent so much time reading again and again?

elvislady
07-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah Larrys books are good. Don't mind the other *****, he claims not to be an antagonist but sure god love him he is.

Have you read many of the spiritual books Elvis spent so much time reading again and again?
_________________0349054_ i take it you are talking about maurice here?
elvislady

MauriceColgan
07-18-2006, 08:12 PM

_________________0349054_ i take it you are talking about maurice here?
elvislady

I have read Elvis's Hairdresser Larry Geller saved Elvis's hair to sell. (Page 159 "In Search of Elvis") Now that was a real example of business insight . Then the silly books...for the more gullible Elvis fans.

I'm sure the moderators recognise a real ***** when it reveals itself, time and time again?

elvislady
07-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I have read Elvis's Hairdresser Larry Geller saved Elvis's hair to sell. (Page 159 "In Search of Elvis") Now that was a real example of business insight . Then the silly books...for the more gullible Elvis fans.

I'm sure the moderators recognise a real ***** when it reveals itself, time and time again?
i have read that to. elvislady:D

JDD
07-19-2006, 02:06 AM
This place has gotten kinda hostile lately

franny
07-19-2006, 02:50 AM
This place has gotten kinda hostile lately

What makes you say that? :lmfao:
Sorry, I'm just trying to lighten things up...

franny

Diane
07-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Am I still on an Elvis fan site or did we lose the track here?:doh: :)

joanne
07-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I like Larry Geller very much and enjoyed his book immensely, he really loved Elvis and I feel understood him.

Dovey
07-23-2006, 04:18 PM
I also love the Larry Geller books ... they are a very good read. I think Elvis really loved and trusted Larry. I guess we can all think what we want .. but most people who go to the same hairdresser do talk a lot about what is going on in their lives. The MM did not like him but we all know why.......

I can tell you I saw the Elvis by the Presleys on Amazon for .10cents. The only thing good about that book .. is the pix's of Elvis!!!!!:D It should of been named after Cilla as it was mostly about her and not about the Presley's.

I would love to meet Larry... he is a person of interest to me.

Dovey

franny
07-24-2006, 02:53 AM
I also love the Larry Geller books ... they are a very good read. I think Elvis really loved and trusted Larry. I guess we can all think what we want .. but most people who go to the same hairdresser do talk a lot about what is going on in their lives. The MM did not like him but we all know why.......

I can tell you I saw the Elvis by the Presleys on Amazon for .10cents. The only thing good about that book .. is the pix's of Elvis!!!!!:D It should of been named after Cilla as it was mostly about her and not about the Presley's.

I would love to meet Larry... he is a person of interest to me.

Dovey

Dovey, do you know how many books Larry Geller has out and what they're called? I would be interested in taking a look...thanks!

franny

elvislady
07-24-2006, 11:12 AM
hi franny
the book i read is called(if i can dream, elvis;s own story) its by larry geller and joel spector. its a great book look on ebay you might find it .
elvislady(y)

Diane
07-24-2006, 10:16 PM
ElvisLady, Franny,

I found "If I Can Dream" by Larry Geller on eBay too and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It did sound like Larry cared quite a lot for Elvis and tried to help by talking to him about religion etc.

If anyone hasn't read the one by Ed Parker, or course the title escapes me, it's also a very good book that you might enjoy. I liked what he had to say about Elvis too.

elvislady
07-24-2006, 10:20 PM
hi diane i am glad you enjoyed the book , i am going to read it again. i have not read the one by Ed parker that will be my next on e. thanks diane
elvislady(y)

ComeBackChick
07-25-2006, 06:29 AM
elvislady(y)

Can someone scan the cover and back of Joyce Bova's book? I never saw it somewhere. Thanks in advance.:notworthy

Rien
07-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Cover of this book (and many more) can be found at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vnhouten/bookauthor.html (http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Evnhouten/bookauthor.html)

franny
07-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks, elvislady and Diane for the info on Larry's book!
I agree I think Larry cared about Elvis as well...

franny

Donut
07-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Does anyone knows if Alanna Nash books "Relevations from the Memphis Mafia" and "Elvis and the Memphis Mafia" are the same ? They are edited in diferent years but they could be reprinted ...

franny
07-28-2006, 08:38 PM
I was wondering that myself...Does anyone know?

franny

JDD
07-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I was wondering that myself...Does anyone know?

franny

I have them both though not in front of me right now. It Appears to me Its the same book, that went out of print in hard cover, and then was reissued in paperback I think with a new publisher and titled "uncut" on the front or back corner.

franny
07-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks, Jim...
There's no point in having two of the same book...

franny

JDD
07-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Thanks, Jim...
There's no point in having two of the same book...

franny

Yeah I agree, I only have two of them because one I bought, and the next week one was given to me as a gift.

elvislady
07-29-2006, 08:25 AM
i bought (elvis and the memphis mafia) and if you have not read it buy it its a great book. elvislady(y)

riley
07-29-2006, 09:29 AM
We just have it here in Belgium and I bought it yesterday. I'm on page 195 for the moment and it is a very good book. Lots of stories about young Elvis and Gladys and Vernon, but no bashing him. Till now I like the book.

Boy The Smiths and the Presleys, they really had a temper on both sides.

;) :lol:

elvislady
07-29-2006, 01:55 PM
you will enjoy the book it took me months to read because i didnt want to finish it to soon.:D

riley
07-29-2006, 08:05 PM
It is a rather "big " book with lots of pages but I really share the same feeling. I want to read it very slow and want to read every detail. I like it. I also bought Last train to Memphis .

I guess I will enjoye reading both books.

Now I really do not need any television. Even my computer can wait.

The book is tooo good until now(y)

franny
07-29-2006, 10:29 PM
i bought (elvis and the memphis mafia) and if you have not read it buy it its a great book. elvislady(y)

I just bought it recently, a signed copy, but haven't started to read it yet...I have a few others I want to read first...

franny

riley
07-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I also just started to read Frann, keep me informed how you like it when you start reading it. Until now i do not have the feeling that those guys are lying at all. It all makes sense to me.(y)

elvislady
07-30-2006, 04:40 PM
hi franny
you will enjoy this book, like riley says you get the feeling they were genunie about everything they talked about. its just a great book.:clap: