PDA

View Full Version : Rare 45's, 33's & 78's

NEA
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
As a follow-up to my previous two threads RCA Singles and Extended Plays, I thought I would start a new thread concerning very rare vinyl singles. Have you heard about/got any of these gems?:

"TV Guide Presents Elvis Presley" (RCA 8705 Blue Label 45rpm) - This is rumoured to be the most valuable of all Elvis records. The record featured an open-end interview with 'The King' explaining such things as his nickname 'Elvis The Pelvis'.
"Foolish Heart" / "Greenback Dollar, Watch and Chain" (Sun 272 45rpm) - Elvis plays piano on this Ray Harris single (??)
"Blue Christmas" (RCA 0808 White Label with 'Nipper' on right-hand side 45rpm) - This single featured the song on both sides and is in the top five Elvis record rarities.
"Too Much" / "Playing For Keeps" (RCA DJ-56 White Label with 'Nipper' on right-hand side 45EP) - A special disc jockey EP which featured these two songs from Elvis on side 1 and two songs by Dinah Shore on the other side.
"Surrender" / "Lonely Man" (RCA 37-7850 Black Label with 'Nipper' on top 33 1/3rpm single) - This was the first Elvis 33rpm single released by RCA.
"Bosom of Abraham" / "He Touched Me" (RCA 74-0651 Orange Label 33 1/3rpm) - Released with a 45rpm hole, but it played at 33rpm. There were only 10,000 copies made before RCA found out about the error and recalled the copies.
"Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite" (RCA 2006 Tan Label 33 1/3EP) - This EP was made for jukeboxes and featured six songs from the telecast show.
"Elvis Presley: Speaks - in Person!" (Rainbo Records Blue Label 78rpm) - This is a very rare version of "Elvis Presley: The Truth About Me" which was originally issued on gold cardboard.
"Stay Away" (MTR-243 Silver Label 45 rpm EP) - Side 1: "Stay Away" / "U.S. Male" Side 2: "Guitar Man" / "Big Boss Man".
"Clambake" (MTR-244 Silver Label 45 rpm EP) - Side 1: "Clambake" / "Hey, Hey, Hey" Side 2: "You Don't Know Me" / "A House That Has Everything".
"My Boy" / "Thinking About You" (RCA PB-10191 White Label/Brown Label 45 rpm) - On the 'A' side "My Boy" appears on a White Label and the 'B' side is on a Brown Label.
"Such A Night" / "Such A Night" (RCA JB-50170 White Label 45rpm) - This single featured two versions of the song. One was from the "Elvis Is Back!" LP and the other was from the "A Legendary Performer Volume 2" LP.
"Perfect For Parties" (RCA SP-7-37 Black Label 45 rpm EP) - Elvis sang "Love Me" and introduced the songs by the other artists on this EP. But, the only way you could get a copy of this sampler was to purchase an Elvis Presley RCA 45 rpm record player!
"Let Me Be There" (mono) / "Let Me Be There" (stereo) (RCA JH-10951 Tan Label 45 rpm EP) - The song's publisher had RCA release this special promo and he sent copies to Radio Stations in the hope that RCA would succumb to officially releasing it as a single from the "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" LP. Unfortunately, this was never to be but copies of this promo single were so rare that they exchanged hands instantly for $100!

NEA
06-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Both sides of a "Blue Christmas"

NEA
06-29-2006, 12:17 AM
The first 33 1/3 rpm single.

NEA
06-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Six of the best from 'Aloha'.

NEA
06-29-2006, 12:25 AM
...White on Brown.

thehillbillycat
06-29-2006, 02:56 AM
I had to add my thoughts into this. Sorry NEA, you ain't the only who can have fun................:P
Moody Blue AFL1-2428

Here is the other color vinyls of Moody Blue. Red, Gold, White, Green and these are really hard to find.

Photo is provided:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/nonnelsivle/MoodyBlue.jpg

The even hard pressing of Moody Blue. This the multiple color version.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/nonnelsivle/MoodyBlueSplash2.jpg

I have a friend who used to work for RCA and he has all known pressings of Moody Blue including a version that has all songs on one side.

NEA
06-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Oh yes, nice addition to this thread Elvislennon2004!

Where all these different colour pressings released all at once by RCA or was it over several years in different countries?

NEA.

NEA
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Speaking of coloured vinyl, who remembers these gems that were released in the late '70's on White, Green, Beige and Gold (Yellow) - perhaps you've still got these in your collections?:

NEA
06-29-2006, 12:26 PM
In the early '80's I managed to get hold of a copy of this classic UK No.1 single, but it wasn't the normal standard copy - "Can't Help Falling In Love" was the live version taken from the album "Elvis in Person at the International Hotel" from 1969, it had been issued as an error!

I'm not too sure how many copies were made, perhaps you have one in your collections...sure wish I'd have kept mine!

NEA
06-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Another rare single that I got a copy of in the early '80's was the coupling of "Datin'" & "Are You Lonesome Tonight?". Now this was a special disc because it featured the studio outtakes of the song "Datin'" from "Paradise Hawaiian Style", which has Elvis cracking up due to the silliness of the song. The 'B' side was the laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" from Vegas, 1969 ("Do you gaze at your bald head...").

I'm not too sure if this was a South African, Australian or European release but I also found out that the single was culled from the "25th Anniversary Silver Box Set" from 1980, which featured these two performances. Unfortunately, I can't really remember the exact look of the cover either - but maybe someone can shed some light?

Now speaking of "Are You 'Laughing' Tonight?", I do believe this song has had a couple of single issues in the UK. First off was back in March, 1982 when it reached the position of Number 25! The 'B' side was "From A Jack To A King" and I've included the photo of the cover here with this post. The re-issue came nine years later when this version was also released on the "Collectors Gold" Boxed Set at the time, and it reached the Number 68 position in the singles chart. Anybody get a copy of this re-issue? If so, was this both a CD and 45rpm single and what was the other song(s) featured and what was the cover like?

Cheers,

NEA.

NEA
06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
The 1971 US single "It's Only Love" / "The Sound of Your Cry" rather suprisingly didn't make a dent in the charts for some reason.

But, nine years later in 1980 when featured on the 'Lost Singles' segment of the Silver Box Set it was decided RCA UK was to release "It's Only Love" coupled with an unreleased song at the time "Beyond The Reef". This second time around (but first time in the UK) justice was done to this wonderful song as it hit the Top Five placings at Number 3!

NEA
06-29-2006, 05:06 PM
The original 'B' Side of "It's Only Love" was also to be resurrected in the UK in June, 1982 - "The Sound of Your Cry" was to be the 'A' side along with "I'll Never Know" from the "Love Letters from Elvis" LP as the 'B' side. This single was to be the follow-up to "Are You 'Laughing' Tonight?" as both songs were taken from "The Sound of Your Cry" LP which consisted of a number of rare and unreleased performances such as the 12" remix of "It's Only Love", stereo versions of "Burning Love" and "Angel", a rare live version of "A Big Hunk O' Love", "Steamroller Blues" from the 'Aloha Rehearsal' Show, etc. The LP reached No. 31 in the UK Charts in February, 1982.

The single was available in both a standard black vinyl 45 and a picture disc. "The Sound of Your Cry" didn't do as well as it's namesake LP and only reached No. 59 in the UK Charts, which is a shame because it is such a wonderfully big ballad.

thehillbillycat
06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh yes, nice addition to this thread Elvislennon2004!

Where all these different colour pressings released all at once by RCA or was it over several years in different countries?

NEA.

They did really release these. They was accidently release them and they was took off the shelves. I do have a friend who has all the pressings.
They wasn't release in any other countries. They were all release in 1977 at the same time as the blue and black.

NEA
06-30-2006, 12:05 AM
They did really release these. They was accidently release them and they was took off the shelves. I do have a friend who has all the pressings.
They wasn't release in any other countries. They were all release in 1977 at the same time as the blue and black.

Thanks for your reply Elvislennon2004.

"Moody Blue" LP & Single appear to have had such a great amount of publicity and promotion especially in the record department. Do you know of any other Elvis song title that got these amount of releases from RCA?

Lonniebealestreet
06-30-2006, 05:02 AM
Fantastic thread!

Aside from the standard Moody Blue and Canadian Tribute releases, the only colored disc I have among those mentioned above is the Unchained Melody single.

I have a friend who used to work for RCA and he has all known pressings of Moody Blue including a version that has all songs on one side.

Holy canoli--have you seen these, el04?

And thanks for all your great info, NEA. Wish I could answer some of your questions.

curtis simpkins
06-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Speaking of coloured vinyl, who remembers these gems that were released in the late '70's on White, Green, Beige and Gold (Yellow) - perhaps you've still got these in your collections?:

Now i have these in my collection and there really really nice collection to have.:D

thehillbillycat
06-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Fantastic thread!

Aside from the standard Moody Blue and Canadian Tribute releases, the only colored disc I have among those mentioned above is the Unchained Melody single.

Holy canoli--have you seen these, el04?

And thanks for all your great info, NEA. Wish I could answer some of your questions.

Seen them.........Yes...............Touch them.............YES.....

NEA
07-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Many Thanks for your support and comments on this thread guys!

Here's a wee segment dedicated to the 1983 UK Hit Single "I Can Help" and the accompanying album "I Can Help And Other Great Hits".

"I Can Help" was taken from 1975's "Elvis Today" album and the 'B' Side of the single was the newly-released (at the time) Ann-Margret duet "The Lady Loves Me" from "Viva Las Vegas". "TLLM" had just been officially released on the "Legendary Performer Volume 4" LP.

"I Can Help" hit the No.30 position in December, 1983. It also had a special 10" Vinyl picture disc release to tie-in with the Xmas market (see jpg.). The 'B' side of this disc featured the Xmas classic "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" as well as "The Lady Loves Me".

In April, 1984 the album "I Can Help And Other Great Hits" was released and reached No.71 in the UK charts. The LP was featured in both a standard Black Vinyl and Picture Disc release (see jpg.). The tracks on the album were as follows:

1. I Can Help
2. Moody Blue
3. If You Talk In Your Sleep
4. Sweet Angeline
5. Only The Strong Survive
6. Hurt
7. Promised Land
8. My Boy
9. Raised On Rock
10. Fool
11. Way Down
12. T.R.O.U.B.L.E.
13. Green Green Grass Of Home
14. Take Good Care Of Her

NEA
07-05-2006, 11:38 PM
In April, 1983 RCA UK released a stunning picture disc album to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of "Jailhouse Rock" entering the UK Charts at No.1. The album featured all the "JR" soundtrack plus "The Elvis Medley" on Side 1 and all the songs (apart from the duets with Ann-Margret) from "Love In Las Vegas" (UK Title of the movie!) on Side 2.

The album reached the No.40 position!

Tracks were as follows:

1. Treat Me Nice
2. Young And Beautiful
3. Jailhouse Rock
4. I Want To Be Free
5. Baby I Don't Care
6. Don't Leave Me Now
7. Don't Leave Me Now (2)
8. The Elvis Medly: Jailhouse Rock/(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear/Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel/Burning Love/Suspicious Minds
9. Viva Las Vegas
10. I Need Somebody To Lean On
11. Do The Vega
12a. Yellow Rose Of Texas
12b. The Eyes Of Texas
13. Today,Tommorow and Forever
14. If You Think I Don't Need You
15. Night Life
16. C'mon Everybody
17. Santa Lucia
18. What'd I Say

NEA
07-06-2006, 02:47 AM
Here's the 7" Picture Disc that what released in the UK as well as a standard black vinyl issue of "Jailhouse Rock" / "Treat Me Nice". The 'B' side on this picture disc is the new (at the time) "Elvis Medley". Both singles were released to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of "JR" entering the UK Charts at the No.1 slot.

Now, I don't know if I'm going insane but I could swear that this special re-issue got to something like Number 22 or Number 25 in the Charts...but why is it not listed in the 'British Hit Singles & Albums Special Edition' Book?!

Hmmm....

NEA
07-06-2006, 02:54 AM
In May 1983 the follow-up single to "Jailhouse Rock" in the UK was "Baby, I Don't Care" from the same movie. The black vinyl 7" had "True Love" as the 'B' Side, but this special picture disc featured the '56 songs "One-Sided Love Affair" & "Tutti Fruitti" on the 'B' Side.

The highest chart placing for "Baby, I Don't Care" was No.61.

NEA
07-06-2006, 03:05 AM
In January, 1985 - the month of Elvis' 50th Birthday Anniversary - RCA UK released "The Elvis Medley" this time as the 'A' side of a 7" single coupled with "Blue Suede Shoes".

Highest Chart Placing: No.51.

"The Elvis Medley" was also taken from an album of the same name which included the full versions of the classic songs as well as a couple of extra hits:

1. The Elvis Medley: Jailhouse Rock/(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear/Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel (To A Heart That's True)/Burning Love/Suspicious Minds
2. Jailhouse Rock
3. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
4. Hound Dog
5. Don't Be Cruel (To A Heart That's True)
6. Burning Love
7. Suspicious Minds
8. Always On My Mind
9. Heartbreak Hotel
10. Hard Headed Woman

NEA
07-06-2006, 03:15 AM
Released in various countries in 1985 was the Blue vinyl album release entitled "Reconsider Baby" which featured newly-discovered versions of "Tomorrow Night" from Sun and "Ain't That Lovin' You Baby". This album promoted a side of his music which was an essential ingredient of 'Rock 'n' Roll' music - the Blues. The album reached No.92 in the UK Charts and it's a shame that it didn't have a better impact because of the concept.

1. Reconsider Baby
2. Tomorrow Night
3. So Glad You're Mine
4. One Night
5. When It Rains, It Really Pours
6. My Baby Left Me
7. Ain't That Loving You Baby
8. I Feel So Bad
9. Down In The Alley
10. Hi-Heel Sneakers
11. Stranger In My Own Home Town
12. Merry Christmas Baby

NEA
07-06-2006, 03:43 AM
The rare "Always On My Mind" re-mix single reached No.59 in the UK in August 1985. It's 'B' side was the original Sun version of "Tomorrow Night" from the "Reconsider Baby" Blue vinyl LP.

"Always On My Mind" was taken from the newly-released (at the time) Purple vinyl album of the same name!

Another "Always On My Mind" re-mix was issued in 1997 to coincide with the 20th Anniversary of Elvis' death. This version was also featured on a UK TV Ad (British Telecom I think!). The CD single featured two unreleased versions of "Always On My Mind" and "Separate Ways" plus "Are You Laughing Tonight?"

This single charted at No.13!

NEA
07-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Here we have a very rare 5-track Extended Play which features a mixture of the tracks from the albums "On Stage February, 1970" & "That's The Way It Is". Tracks are as follows:

1. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
2. Sweet Caroline
3. I Just Can't Help Believin'
4. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
5. Polk Salad Annie

And, how about "Separate Ways" / "Always On My Mind" on Brown vinyl (when held up to the light!) from 1973.

Both are Japanese releases.

spanish eyes
07-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I have a LP in my collection called "Reconsider Baby" which was pressed on a blue vinyl and has a cool cover. It was released by RCA in 1985.

NEA
07-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Spanish Eyes,

Yes you've got the very LP which is pictured in the 4th Post from the top of this page on this thread - nice 1!

NEA.

songs4u
07-09-2006, 12:44 AM
This is the back of the cover of a DEMONSTRATION "Not For Sale" copy of an Elvis Today LP. It was too large to scan it all.

http://www.tcb-world.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14108&stc=1&d=1152401870

thehillbillycat
07-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for your reply Elvislennon2004.

"Moody Blue" LP & Single appear to have had such a great amount of publicity and promotion especially in the record department. Do you know of any other Elvis song title that got these amount of releases from RCA?

Umm, Aloha got three different releases that I know of off the top of my head. One is the standard that we all have. One is not a gate fold and looks like the standard one. The other version is worth the most, it is a white cover and has the advertisement of Chicken of the Sea.

Most of the sevenites albums had a Quad discs to them which I think we all know that.

I have seen I just remember, I did see a color vinyl of Aloha which was either gold or yellow. I also seen the Picture Disc of Legendary Performer Vol 4

Lonniebealestreet as for your question - Have I seen the Moody Blue albums? Does, touching count......................:P

Sheila
07-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Hummmmm, I have five rare 45's that are all white promo labels and the sleeves are clean with no ring wear!
447-0601 'That's All Right/Blue Moon of Kentucky'
447-0602 'Good Rockin' Tonight/I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine'
447-0605 'Heartbreak Hotel/I Was The One'
447-0608 'Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog'
447-0618 'All Shook Up/That's When Your Heartaches Began'
I bought the each for $5.00...No kidding! (y) :D
I was hoping for more information and how much is worth...Can Anyone tell me? Thank You!

Sheila
07-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Oh, Forgot two more that I found at the flea market.
two white promos with clean sleeves, they are...
447- 0651 'Joshua Fit The Battle/Known Only To Him'
447- 0652 'Milky White Way/Swing Down Sweet Chariot"
I got them for $10.00 each! No Kidding! It was the best find with both of them sitting together in the glass case.(y) :D
Can Anyone tell me how much these are worth?

bogarcon
07-10-2006, 12:53 AM
[quote=NEA]In the early '80's I managed to get hold of a copy of this classic UK No.1 single, but it wasn't the normal standard copy - "Can't Help Falling In Love" was the live version taken from the album "Elvis in Person at the International Hotel" from 1969, it had been issued as an error!

I'm not too sure how many copies were made, perhaps you have one in your collections...sure wish I'd have kept mine![/quote
yep..when this series came out in Canada, this single was the live `69 version of Can`t help falling in love. I have 8 copies of this single and none of them is the original `60 version!
have a nice day, bogarcon

PiersEIN
07-10-2006, 08:36 AM
447-0601 'That's All Right/Blue Moon of Kentucky'
447-0602 'Good Rockin' Tonight/I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine'
447-0605 'Heartbreak Hotel/I Was The One'
447-0608 'Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog'
447-0618 'All Shook Up/That's When Your Heartaches Began'

Hi Sheila, according to "Solid Gold Elvis" collectors guide. These are probably Jan 1964 Promo issues.
If you have them - with the original Gold/Black 'Nipper' promo sleeve - they would be worth over $200 mint condition.
Without sleeves, who knows.

Of course, in reality, vinyl is only worth whatever you can sell them for - to a collector that needs them.
Nowadays prices are fixed by Ebay & the Internet. Collecting isn't as hard as it used to be. Nor quite as much fun.

However they are certainly worth more than $5 each. What a FANTASTIC purchase! I wish I had been so lucky.

Cheers
Piers

They

Sheila
07-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey, here's the secret how I got them cheaper....I was at the record store where they sell lots of oldies, punk, heavy metal, etc. This guy who works there doesn't know anything much about some records even Elvis' records. I picked up those five with no price tag on them and told him I would buy them for five each. While he was looking at it, he said these are not for sale and thinks it's worth more. I told him that they are reproductions and they are fake records with different sleeves! He actually believed me and I got them! Hey, you got to lie a little in order to get those records! Right? How many of you have done this? ;)

jans
07-27-2006, 03:18 PM
This is a German single.
It was pressed in Germany for the US-Army, for soldiers who were stationed in this country. On the vinyl is the text MADE IN U.S.A. But in the vinyl is engraved "Manufactured in Germany". There are a few singles with this label, only pressed in the 50's.
So very RARE !!!

http://www.tcb-world.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14235&stc=1&d=1154009673

http://www.tcb-world.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14236&stc=1&d=1154009673