PDA

View Full Version : 68 special sit section

maxiefields
06-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Does anyone else think that Elvis should have let Scotty play lead guitar on all of the 'sit' section of the '68 special? It certainly is a great show but I feel some songs are repeated due to Elvis' playing ability. In Scotty's book, he said he was a bit put out when Elvis took his guitar. Personally, I think Elvis should have let Scotty do his job, and it probably would have made it a better set.

elvisdownunder
06-14-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm sorry, but i can't agree with you there. Elvis took a dominant role when he took that guitar, he made the show better, he played that thing really wild. It is one of the most out standing moments in rocknroll history!

NEA
06-14-2006, 04:00 AM
I'm so glad Elvis took the decision to 'swap' guitars with Scotty due to the fact that what was caught on camera was a wonderful informal show of unbridled spontaneity.

I feel that this would not have been achieved if Scotty would have played lead on every song. The beauty of it was that Steve Binder wanted to capture that rough 'n' ready approach to a jam session which he first experienced in the dressing room at Burbank and this was it brought to the stage.

It's now wonderfully bottled.

NEA.

ForeverTheKing
06-14-2006, 06:47 AM
I'm sorry, but i can't agree with you there. Elvis took a dominant role when he took that guitar, he made the show better, he played that thing really wild. It is one of the most out standing moments in rocknroll history!

I totally agree with you and Nea!(y)

Scotty was a very good guitar player but that part of the show is so spontanous that I like to see them exchanging guitars and Elvis playing lead guitar for a couple of songs (especially Baby What You Want Me To Do)....it's history!
I'm sorry Scotty was a bit annoyed about that but, to me, it's one of the most interesting part of the '68 Comeback Special....I love Elvis with that guitar!:cool: :cool: :clap:

Albert
06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Elvis switching guitars made the NBC special from a golden oldie show into a real comeback special.

Of course, Elvis' playing abilities were quite poor and it made all songs sound more or less the same, but it was wild and dominant. It showed who was the king.

king4eva
06-14-2006, 01:02 PM
i luv it wen Elvis 'swaps' wif Scotty, Elvis goes nuts if da gutiar he plays da strings off dat thing plus it looked soo good on him...da only is dat it didn't hav a strap lol it would hav bein mad 2 see Elvis sing n play gutiar for 'one night' ....its da best Elvis being a goose " i gotta bad leg" lol....u can see he relli wants 2 move but he cant coz he has 2 seat :D :king:

iloveelvis05
06-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I do think Scotty is a fabulous guitar player but when he and Elvis "swapped" guitars, the show became a lot more entertaining. Elvis got a lot more into the music and had a lot more fun. Okay sure..."Baby What Do You Want Me To Do" was repeated a couple of times, but so what?! That's a great song! It's one of my favorites! And obviously you could tell how much Elvis enjoyed that song as well. That song made me want to learn how to play the guitar. So overall, I have to disagree with you. Scotty and Elvis switching guitars was a good thing to do and it made the show all that much better! :D

my boy
06-14-2006, 07:17 PM
In a reply to the original thread Elvis guitar playing made the comeback special even better,i think it was Eric clapton who said that no one could have played baby what you want me to do any better than Elvis played it, say no more(y) (y) (y)

4THEHEART
06-14-2006, 10:08 PM
wish Elvis did this more often..his playing reminds me Lightnin' Hopkins..soulful and raw..and he has a right too,to play..

robman
06-15-2006, 01:46 PM
scotty said later that he couldn't have played those blues songs as
elvis did that night!!!!!!!!

Unchained Melody
06-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Are you kidding, that was the best part when Elvis took that guitar, so what if he couldn't play great he did a fine job in my book, oh and he also made music history.

maxiefields
06-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok I"m on my own here,But wouldnt you just loved to have seen Mystery train,Blue moon of Kentucky maybe Goodrockin tonight , ok they probably wouldnt have played GRT but the other two a good possibility.Dont you think ? Am I totally alone.

Unchained Melody
06-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Yes it would have been nice to have seen those songs performed, i agree.

elvisdownunder
06-17-2006, 06:23 AM
i love elvis 05-Same with me. That song inspired me to play guitar.

**** i would've loved if Elvis had done 'Now or never' like it was requested from a woman in the audience. He could've played it