PDA

View Full Version : Dethroning the King???

Awickedreigndrop
05-31-2006, 06:15 AM
I was at my local Target, wasting time until it was time to go to the movies. I start looking through this Enteratainment Weekly magazine that had Storm and Wolverine from X-Men III on the cover (The movie I was waiting to see). Then I came across this article about Garth Brooks "Dethroning" Elvis, and becoming the new king of rock 'n' roll. First of all I didn't understand how he could do that because he sings country and not rock 'n' roll. And when he tried to sing a different genre under a different alias, people thought he was crazy and made fun of him. Anyway, they say that Garth is gaining on El as far as how many units he has sold all together. Even if he's sells more units that doesn't make him the new King... does it?:(

Tommy
05-31-2006, 07:11 AM
Haha:lol: Garth Brooks, it will never happen! Nobody will ever take the place of Elvis

Albert
05-31-2006, 07:36 AM
I have absolutely no believe in these numbers. Face it: many, MANY of Elvis albums (if not most) never hit the hitlists. Look at the lowbudget Camden releases during the 70s, the endless list of compilations, the chain-only releases, and so on.... There's no way any artists from these days (with the declining sales) can be compared to the sales of Elvis music from 1956 up to now.

Lee82
05-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Even if Garth Brooks sells more, he still won't dethrone Elvis. He hasn't had the same cultural impact as Elvis, and I strongly doubt he'll have a legacy like Elvis'.

polksaladhasie
05-31-2006, 08:26 AM
Who is Garth Brooks? :hmm:

I think... nobody will ever dethrone the King. :blush: Maybe in selling CDs ... but not in my heart and in our feelings :blush: :)

ForeverTheKing
05-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Even if Garth Brooks sells more, he still won't dethrone Elvis. He hasn't had the same cultural impact as Elvis, and I strongly doubt he'll have a legacy like Elvis'.

Totally agree!
It doesn't matter about how many albums someone else could sell in his life...Elvis is the King also for many other reasons....yes, cultural impact, his marvellous soul and his way to sing and perform.

I don't know this singer...I've just seen few pictures just for curiosity.........how he could never be the new King???? Please....:supriced: :lmfao:

I agree with you hasie...nobody will take his place and have the same popolarity...I think even The Beatles has never reached the top in the hearts of people today....I've never heard about so many young people who become mad for them or others big singers...at least not as new generations everyday come close to Elvis.
I can't imagine how this Garth Brooks could do this....:lol:

Albert
05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
and is country music also popular in the north of the US?

EnigmaticSun
05-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Has the writer of the article ever considered the difference between hybris and virtus? Elvis was unique in his own right and not just as being a musician. Of course it is possible to do well as a singer, but there are no 'replacements' or 'substitutes' for Elvis Presley. He will always be the King no matter what. It is okay to interpret his music, but proclaiming to 'be Elvis' or to 'replace him' simply won't do.

That doesn't mean that there aren't any other musicians to enjoy! Most people have their own personal heroes: Frank Zappa, Prince, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Madonna.. whatever! They are also unique and maybe it's just a matter of taste; no one should act as if they (or another artist) are substitute for or as being greater than Elvis and Jesus Christ - if do they proclaim to be so, they will hit their head against the wall sooner or later.. Those are the differences between hybris and virtus.

I have never enjoyed Garth Brook's music; I don't mean to trash him and I certainly don't hate him, it's just not my cup of tea.. If it is for modern country & western stars, I'd prefer Billy Gilman for sure: no big mouth (='look how great I am'-attitude) and great live performances instead (this doesn't implicate anything bad 'bout other country & western artists). I will dedicate myself to the way of the samurai (bushido), which means unconditional loyalty till death for my mentor.

jak
05-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Dont believe the numbers that you read in that article.It's a well known fact that Elvis will never get the proper totals for his record sales.Even Garth has admitted he knows Elvis sold more.Elvis is a victim of poor record keeping and all kinds of accounting problems that make it impossible to get an accurate total.To mention Garth in the same breath as Elvis is an insult.Elvis' greatness goes beyond holding records and sales figures.He was a guy who most people never met yet was able to change peoples lives because of what he did and who he was.I doubt anybody else like him will ever come along again.
Jak

amzietamzie
05-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I've never heard of Garth Brooks... :doh:

I agree with what's been said above...

Elvis will never be dethroned. He is called the King not just because he sold so many records (after all they are just numbers and besides we don't even know the true amount of Elvis records sold) but for so many other reasons. He changed the course of music, is a cultural icon, had a distinct sound, was an amazing man, still pulls in fans years after his death, is known by his first name is known in all countries etc etc etc. He is the greatest entertainer we have ever and ever will see. :notworthy

Even non-fans have to admit that he was remarkable ;)

They can't take his title away from him... tis impossible. Elvis was, is and always will be the King :D

Sonny
05-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Worldwide this is going nowhere at all..

I know of Garth Brooks, and to me he's already had his period of fame, but I'm sure I'm wrong about him being succesful in the States.
But for the rest of the world... well... most people don't know the guy.

Anyway, he did some nice songs, no doubt about that.

But no competition whatsoever for Elvis.

Sonny

Diane
05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
It's a ridiculous article! There is no comparison between Elvis and Garth Brooks. To answer Albert's question about whether country music is popular in the north of the US as well, the answer is yes but many other country artists are favored much more than Garth Brooks so he's not even at the top of his field although he thinks so.

Supertigre
05-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Garth Brooks is crap

JDD
05-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Every couple of years someone will write an article that says is so and so the new King. I've seen it happen dozens of times.

Garth Brooks is exellent he had an amazing career, tons of hits, some I really liked. He's popular world wide, his central park concert shows he draws from all parts of society too. He isn't Elvis enemy , No need to worry about it. If Elvis was alive today and Garth passed his sales, I suspect he'd do like when the Beatles temporarily surpassed him on the top of the charts. Elvis sent them a congratulations telegram, wished them well and went back to being Elvis .

They are two different eras, two different preformers. Garth Brooks benifited from things that Elvis set in motion, concerts on network TV beamed around the world to multiple countries, a big publicity machine that the blue print was drawn up based on Elvis . Elvis was the pioneer who blazed the trails, and Garth Brooks who I've never heard say anything bad about any other preformers , benifited from the trail that Elvis left behind. I haven't heard him specificly talk about Elvis one way or another but I've seen Brooks induct other preformers into the contry music Hall of fame and he was nothing but respectful and recognized their accomplishments and that he wouldn't be here if not for them. I won't be a bit surprised to hear him say the same things about Elvis should he surpass his record sales someday. I can't imagine Elvis being threatened or disapointed He was usually happy for other people when something good happened for him and was one of the first ones to praise other preformers and cover their songs . He was Elvis, he has been gone a couple decades and still sells more tickets to Graceland and CDs then most people that are still working do. He made 30 plus movies, gave millions to charity and still has people standing outside his house 24 hours a day. Elvis is Elvis, Garth is Garth, They both did things in their time others didn't , nobody is the bad guy there.

franny
06-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Garth Brooks is a popular country singer, but he will never ever compare to Elvis...As far as being popular in Canada...I can't speak for everyone...:lmfao:..but he was a lot more popular in the 90's and he is now basically considered retired from recording and performing, but even if he wasn't, he could never dethrone Elvis...

franny

Lee82
06-01-2006, 07:27 AM
From reading some of these posts, it seems clear that Garth Brooks isn't famous in Europe. Contrast that to Elvis, who is known all over the world! There's no way Garth Brooks could dethrone him.

EnigmaticSun
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
From reading some of these posts, it seems clear that Garth Brooks isn't famous in Europe. Contrast that to Elvis, who is known all over the world! There's no way Garth Brooks could dethrone him.

People know Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash (and even Dolly Parton), but not Garth Brooks. Elvis' name is evident: though some associations are plain unrealistic, people tend to know Elvis (at least) to some extent. I wonder what the writer of article has been up to.

It's a strange world..