PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Remix or Remake album?

EP75
05-25-2006, 09:59 PM
If SONY BMG decided to do a remix or remake album for next year or anytime would you purchase it?

JDD
05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
I'd have to hear some of it first. I am not a big fan of this remix thing. That said I did actually like the remix of a little less conversation and rubbernecking .

So never say never but it would have to win me over from air play on Sirius radio. It wouldn't be an automatic buy.

graceland123
05-25-2006, 11:12 PM
im all for it as i adored rubberneckin and ALLC
however the album that was remixed and was done was it by felton jarvis many many years ago was bloody horrible

Albert
05-25-2006, 11:33 PM
I would love a classical treatment of some of ELvis ballads. I have always enjoyed the 'orchestra' versions of My Boy and Always On My Mind. I really would welcome an album where more of the original instruments were removed and a classical/easy listening treatment will be added.

I think something like that (also looking at the huge succes of Stewarts Great American Songbook and lately that album of that 'Man/Cocabonal' singer) would be a guaranteed number 1 album.

Lee82
05-26-2006, 04:21 AM
A remake album? Probably not. But I'd love a remix album. But it would have to be good, and not something thrown together, with little care or artistic vision, solely to make money. I'm not just buying something because it says "Elvis" on the cover.

FlamingStar
05-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I hope it will come a new remix album in the future.
I can't understand why so many don't like Felton Jarvis' backing tracks!
It sounds so modern and beautiful... i haven't heard the complete Too much monkey business cd, but i fell in love with it when i listened to the FTD samples here ;) So i will buy it..

Elvisgirl
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
i would buy it if it was good

FlamingStar
05-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I would buy it anyway if it was good or bad..

But i don't think people release bad Elvis remixes..

Elvisgirl
05-26-2006, 12:17 PM
But i don't think people release bad Elvis remixes

depends on what you like. maybe someone will release a remix they think are good, and maybe you think it's crappy

FlamingStar
05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah i see..

But maybe many think it's good :)

Terry the Ted
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
As long as they were to the same standard as 'A Little Less Conversation',
look how well that done! I personally love re-mix tracks, they're always good for keeping Elvis' music fresh for the younger audiences and some of them really can be good!! (y)

U.S. Male
05-26-2006, 08:14 PM
I would love to see one of this nature be released.:D

Not only would it bring a new, fresher sense to the music, but it might also cause people who aren't Elvis fans to become interested in his music and bring more people in to the flock.

Katie
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I would love to see one of this nature be released.:D

Not only would it bring a new, fresher sense to the music, but it might also cause people who aren't Elvis fans to become interested in his music and bring more people in to the flock.

Exactly what I thought! As long as the remix sounds good and all...it could bring in more Elvis fans! Hurray! :)

4THEHEART
05-26-2006, 10:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! for God's sake..I haven't got tired of his original music yet,and never will, to the end..:angry: :cursing:

FlamingStar
05-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Not me either..

But i'm very glad that people make remixes/Backing tracks to get a new sound on the records.. (y)

robman
05-27-2006, 12:28 AM
i would definitely buy it
elvis has the best music in the world
today's sonic technology is far better then they had back then
so i'd be nice if they'd take elvis's voice and do some new backings to it
they don't necesarily have to do a remix just a new backing.

EP75
05-27-2006, 02:56 AM
As of right now the total is 44-18 in favor of YES between this forum, the FECC, and Elvis-The Music (BMG's main EP forum). That is 2X the amount of YES to No. Here's how it breaks down so far.

Elvis-The Music
15-1

TCB-World
15-3

FECC
15-14

Unchained Melody
05-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Since my last post i've changed my view on these "remix" albums, there not something i'm big on and don't really care for them.

THENATUREBOY
05-29-2006, 05:06 AM
I would buy a remix album if it was done right. I'd like to hear the music updated and/or done in a different way, even though it would never be as good as the original, it would still be fun to hear something new. As long as the whole thing didnt sound techno like the "Rubberneckin" or "ALLC" did. I hated both of those remixes and I would bet that Elvis wouldnt have cared to much for them either.

FlamingStar
05-29-2006, 06:43 AM
I agree with you..

But, in the beginning when "A little less conversation" was released, i was listening to it as all the others did, but now, i hate that song because Sirius plays it every hour! That's just horrible.

franny
05-29-2006, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't buy a remake, but I would buy a remix....I really like A Little Less conversation, so as long as it sounded good!

franny

RobIreland
09-22-2006, 06:13 PM
:D Yes ! i would ofcourse buy it !!!. Just because the tracks are remixed it dosent mean we loose the originals. All it does is attract new people to the voice of Elvis !

I would also encourage BMG to employ me to make the remix album !! LOL........ come on BMG.. If I Can Dream MLK mix as a single !!!!!! coupled with my mix of Change of Habit !!!

Rob

EP75
09-22-2006, 07:16 PM
:D Yes ! i would ofcourse buy it !!!. Just because the tracks are remixed it dosent mean we loose the originals. All it does is attract new people to the voice of Elvis !

I would also encourage BMG to employ me to make the remix album !! LOL........ come on BMG.. If I Can Dream MLK mix as a single !!!!!! coupled with my mix of Change of Habit !!!

Rob

I'm with ya Rob!(y)

RobIreland
09-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Why thankyou EP75, lol, hey you'v got great taste !

Rob

:cool:

EnigmaticSun
09-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, I know Elvis didn't like singing to a pre-recorded tape, because no matter how hard he tried it was impossible to create that intimate feeling.

Yes, they could add an orchestra, but it wouldn't be the same without Elvis. If the question would be 'would you have liked Elvis to record a song with classical instruments accompanying him', it's a definite yes.

I think it's better to just improve the overall balance of songs on an album.

I did like Elvis' music being brought into the spotlights for younger people, but it's not that I sincerely found the techno-treatment to be pretty.

MISSCLAWDY
09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I'd buy a remix album if it's done well! In respect of Elvis music I mean;)

EP75
09-27-2006, 01:16 AM
The new Burning Love remix sounds fantastic and it still has the originality of the original single just a newer and deeper base line and drums uplifted. The guy says he wanted to keep it close as possible to the original and how he isolated EP's voice for the mix and etc etc. He sounds genuine with his approach to EP and seems to respect him as an artist which is well appreciated.

MIElvis
09-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I don't think so. Elvis' music is classic and should be left as is. Kinda like repainting the Mona Lisa

Polk-Salad-Annie
09-30-2006, 07:53 PM
I will buy it, if it is good.

4THEHEART
12-05-2006, 12:18 AM
why do we need to hear a "fake" music,it is not his music and I am a fan of Elvis's music,the way he heard it,he did it and he left us..Elvis gave his hours, his life, nerves and everything when working on those songs..no one has a right to change them or play with his songs,they'd better find another toy.. I hate those remixes..any of them..and if those new listener couldn't like his music the way it is,then they can go to hell..there's a lot of new stuff around for their "new" ears..:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

vulcandude
12-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Like some of our other fine TCB members, I would have to hear a remix before I actually bought it. I did love both of the remixes of "Rubberneckin'" and "A Little Less Conversation", and I'd love to see the same done with "Long Legged Girl (With The Short Dress On)" or "Let Yourself Go". I do love these re-issued CDs with the bonus tracks, but I'd love to see some of Elvis' 70s material re-made. A lot of The Carpenter's material got re-done quite excellently, and I think the same could be done for Elvis. My favorite thing of late has been the commercial for the Honda CR-V with "Burning Love" playing......

maria1073
12-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I am not a big fan of this remix thing(n)

Trelane P
12-08-2006, 08:38 AM
yes yes yes:D

Diane
12-09-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't care for the remixes or remakes either. Why tamper with perfection?:D (n)

Larry Dickman
12-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Something along the lines of the recent Beatles 'Love' album might be interesting......ie only using original the music.

EP75
12-10-2006, 08:30 PM
A remix album is looking more and more realistic right now. From someone in the know, SONY BMG are looking at a new remix album of some sort for the 30th anniversary. This was discussed in NY a month ago. I do hope it's not done in a tacky techno style but more in a creative "new" arrangements to create a "new" album. Songs like Change Of Habit, Long Black Limousine, Tomorrow Is A Long Time, Big Boss Man, I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water, I'll Remember You, and Just Pretend could all benefit a new remix and re-worked approach.

MauriceColgan
02-08-2007, 11:33 PM
I agree with Scotty Moore, the Official releases were the best. They were the huge sellers. Why fix what's not broken?

There's enough excellent Elvis music to satisfy us all.

ALLC is often used on the media... tv and Radio...but the opening is so long we rarely actually hear Elvis sing!!!

KPM
02-08-2007, 11:36 PM
I would like to see the likes of Clapton, McCartney, etc. getting involved in playing on the remixes. I know it seems far fetched but I've always had a fantasy of those type people having recorded with Elvis. I always felt it would have spurred Elvis, almost a challenge-he loved to jam and I know it would have been a great . Since that can never happen maybe remixes would be the next best thing.
I read that George Harrison, when he started the Traveling Wilburys group with Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and I think Jeff Lynn in the late 80s, contacted the estate to try and get some unreleased song by Elvis which they could add new backing and vocals to.
But after thinking about it Harrison decided it would be morbid. Then Orbison died and they had the same situation anyway.

poormansgold
02-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I Wil Buy If It's Done Right, Not Dance Versions or Rap Versions Or Tetco Versions not buy them
Tom

mubarak
02-09-2007, 03:58 AM
a remix album with little known tracks like allc or rubbernecking. tracks like
edge of reality
just a little bit(raised on rock lp)
for the heart
ive got a thing about you baby
i can help
:clap:

jadedragon61
02-09-2007, 04:35 AM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! for God's sake..I haven't got tired of his original music yet,and never will, to the end..:angry: :cursing:

EP is a classic - I don't think his music should be monkeyed with.

"Remaster" in the sense of upgrade the sound - yeah, that's ok. Otherwise leave it the flip alone!

I don't know if any of you heard something, some years back, called, I think, "Duets With Patsy"? This abortion of an idea was current country singers dubbed into old Patsy Cline tunes to give the appearance of a "duet". The thing was so bad you almost can't find it now - thank god.

Just because we have the tech to do something doesn't make it a good, or even a plausible, idea.

Leave EP's recordings alone.

elvis himselvis
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I like those two remixes of A little less conversation and Rubberneckin',so if they could bring a good album with good remixes i think that will be fine.
If it sounds good there could be a change that many young people will become fan of Elvis.Than his memory will go on further an further:D

agent
02-09-2007, 03:27 PM
the "Guitar Man-album (1981) is great! =)

nabelt24
02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
The new Burning Love remix sounds fantastic and it still has the originality of the original single just a newer and deeper base line and drums uplifted. The guy says he wanted to keep it close as possible to the original and how he isolated EP's voice for the mix and etc etc. He sounds genuine with his approach to EP and seems to respect him as an artist which is well appreciated.

I would love an a remix album... and would love to have a copy of the new Burning Love remix!

KPM
02-10-2007, 07:55 PM
EP is a classic - I don't think his music should be monkeyed with.

"Remaster" in the sense of upgrade the sound - yeah, that's ok. Otherwise leave it the flip alone!

I don't know if any of you heard something, some years back, called, I think, "Duets With Patsy"? This abortion of an idea was current country singers dubbed into old Patsy Cline tunes to give the appearance of a "duet". The thing was so bad you almost can't find it now - thank god.

Just because we have the tech to do something doesn't make it a good, or even a plausible, idea.

Leave EP's recordings alone.
I have been married 34 years and will never tire of my wife, but I also like to see my wife in new outfits and with a new hairdo now and then.
Same with Elvis music I love the originals but If it will help gain him new fans who have a better appreciation of his ability as a singer and performer I'm all for it. Duets- if done with class and high production value with the proper musical artists involved might be a good thing. Sinatra had a #1 Duets album of his standards with contemporary artists. Tony Bennett has one right now which has re-introduced him to new fans. The ALLC remix started a ball rolling to get new fans but I don't think it was followed up well. If you can get someone to listen to Elvis that normally would not with remixes or a Duets production I hope they do it, an do it right.

Wendy56
07-26-2008, 05:11 AM
I'm not a big fan of remixes, but I'm open to listen them. I may not buy them, but listen to on the radio... unless I really like them and wanna get those. And about a remake album, well, If it arrives to Mexico (and don't have the songs included in the cd), maybe I'd get one. :P

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Remixes...not for me. I know Elvis hated for people tampering with his work..but then think of a little less conversation..how big of a hit that was..so its complicated issue.

Diane
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I've had a slight change of heart towards remixes since my first post. I've heard a few lately I did like. I don't know that I would buy an album of them but I really fell in love with the ALLC remix and if all songs were done as well I would be happy if it made young people listen to Elvis.

I'm not at all fond of the idea of mixing other entertainer's voices with Elvis' though. That bothers me. I love the ones with Lisa and Elvis but that a whole other thing...she's his daughter.

The only other entertainer I would have loved to see do a duo on stage with Elvis is Tina Turner but remixing a song with the two of them? I don't think I would buy it.

Diane

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm not big on the duets idea either Diane. (n)

presley31
07-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I had heard a couple remixes done by DJ ethan and l just love them. Not a big fan of duets, but Lisa and elvis were beauiful togther.

Brian
07-26-2008, 11:37 PM
A remix album is looking more and more realistic right now. From someone in the know, SONY BMG are looking at a new remix album of some sort for the 30th anniversary. This was discussed in NY a month ago. I do hope it's not done in a tacky techno style but more in a creative "new" arrangements to create a "new" album. Songs like Change Of Habit, Long Black Limousine, Tomorrow Is A Long Time, Big Boss Man, I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water, I'll Remember You, and Just Pretend could all benefit a new remix and re-worked approach.

Hi Ep75 how are you?

I respect your opinion but mine is they shouldn't touch those songs as they are all good songs and remixing them would just ruin them in my view

I think Felton Jarvis ruined several songs with the Guitar man project

Kentucky rain and guitar man sounded better without remixes

U.S. Male
07-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Having a release featuring new instrumentation, but using the same arrangement style as the original would be cool imo (y)

Not too keen on the club / disco type of mixes though, except for ALLC.

What would really be cool (imo) would be for the TCB Band (Jerry, Glen D, Ronnie, James, and John) and perhaps even Scotty and DJ to record new backing instrumentation and use Elvis' vocal.

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 11:52 PM
What would really be cool (imo) would be for the TCB Band (Jerry, Glen D, Ronnie, James, and John) and perhaps even Scotty and DJ to record new backing instrumentation and use Elvis' vocal.

Now that would indeed be awesome Steve...perhaps record the intruments to a certain Elvis show and then release it..that would be very cool to hear..(y)

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 11:53 PM
I had heard a couple remixes done by DJ ethan and l just love them. Not a big fan of duets, but Lisa and elvis were beauiful togther.

The Don't Cry Daddy duet from '97 was done to perfection.:notworthy

Brian
07-27-2008, 12:04 AM
I have been married 34 years and will never tire of my wife, but I also like to see my wife in new outfits and with a new hairdo now and then.
Same with Elvis music I love the originals but If it will help gain him new fans who have a better appreciation of his ability as a singer and performer I'm all for it. Duets- if done with class and high production value with the proper musical artists involved might be a good thing. Sinatra had a #1 Duets album of his standards with contemporary artists. Tony Bennett has one right now which has re-introduced him to new fans. The ALLC remix started a ball rolling to get new fans but I don't think it was followed up well. If you can get someone to listen to Elvis that normally would not with remixes or a Duets production I hope they do it, an do it right.

I liked ALLC as well I feel that they got lucky with the remix of that song as I have hated other remixes of Elvis songs and I also find it unnecessary that Sony BMG remix classic Elvis songs like ''Baby let's play house'' and ''That's alright mama'' just to try and milk more money out of Elvis fans

KPM
07-27-2008, 01:25 AM
I liked ALLC as well I feel that they got lucky with the remix of that song as I have hated other remixes of Elvis songs and I also find it unnecessary that Sony BMG remix classic Elvis songs like ''Baby let's play house'' and ''That's alright mama'' just to try and milk more money out of Elvis fans
The remixes actually start our being remixed by someone outside of Sony-ALLC was remixed by Junkie XL when it hit then Sony/BMG had to get involved.
Baby Lets Play House was remixed by well known Italian DJ Spankox who first remixed the track in 2007, over 50 years after it was first recorded by Elvis. It is doing pretty good in Europe so Sony once again is getting involved.
In Europe the 50 year copyright limit has hit on many Elvis songs so that will make it easier for just about anyone to remix them. Each year where a song becomes 50 years old will probably bring more people trying to remix some of them. Until that law is somehow changed I'm not sure what Sony or EPE can do to stop them. Naturally if the remixes hit big-Sony will try to capitalize on it.
I agree to that certain songs should not be remixed-but Sony will have a hard time stopping people in Europe from trying.

shelley.m.
07-27-2008, 02:04 AM
I would buy a remix album but it depends what songs are used.I wonder what could be done to a song like (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care?

JerryNodak
07-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Supposedly there's a Christmas duets album coming out for Christmas '08. I might buy that if I hear/read something positive about it. I'm a sucker for Christmas albums. I have hundreds. But a remake or remix album? No.

Unchained Melody
07-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Supposedly there's a Christmas duets album coming out for Christmas '08. I might buy that if I hear/read something positive about it. I'm a sucker for Christmas albums. I have hundreds. But a remake or remix album? No.

I'll get it jsut to have ....will give it a listen probably, one time, and that will be it lol.;)

MIElvis
07-28-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm an oldie and I prefer the original

Unchained Melody
07-28-2008, 05:14 AM
I'm an oldie and I prefer the original

I'm rather new i'd say but I perfer the original as well !(y)(y)

KPM
08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm not big on the duets idea either Diane. (n)
I have always wanted a Duets album. Only because I had always hoped Elvis would sing with other rock legends and singers. Tom Jones, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, etc... I wanted to hear how their voices would have blended.

Since it was never allowed to be-the closest thing to it would be a Duets album like the one done with Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole after he was dead-"Unforgettable-With Love" many said it was gimmicky but it was a great successs, the album sold over 7 million copies in the United States alone, and won Cole several Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best Traditional Pop Vocal Performance. The album featured a duet, the title track, with her father, created by splicing a recording of his vocals into the track. As a single, it reached #14 on Billboard Magazine's Hot 100 chart, and went gold.
But thats just my own personal want, I know many are against the idea.

Unchained Melody
08-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I see your points Ken.

To bad Elvis never had any duets with big names such as Tom Jones, Eric Clapton, or Lennon.

KPM
08-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I see your points Ken.

To bad Elvis never had any duets with big names such as Tom Jones, Eric Clapton, or Lennon.
I would also include Frank Sinatra-even though he did duet with Elvis I always felt it was not a good showcase of Elvis's abilities. Sinatra at 1960 had been singing professionally since the early 40s so he had nearly 20 years experience while Elvis had only about 6. ELvis had much more experience and range latter on and I would have liked to have heard them do it again.
Dean Martin would also be one I'd like to have heard duet with him.

WHITETIGERMAN
12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
A remake album? Probably not. But I'd love a remix album. But it would have to be good, and not something thrown together, with little care or artistic vision, solely to make money. I'm not just buying something because it says "Elvis" on the cover.

I totally agree with you..........my thoughts exactly.

Dino78
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I would also include Frank Sinatra-even though he did duet with Elvis I always felt it was not a good showcase of Elvis's abilities. Sinatra at 1960 had been singing professionally since the early 40s so he had nearly 20 years experience while Elvis had only about 6. ELvis had much more experience and range latter on and I would have liked to have heard them do it again.
Dean Martin would also be one I'd like to have heard duet with him.

No way to say it in a better way(y)(y)(y)

Raised on Rock
12-17-2008, 02:15 AM
I would buy a remix album if it was done right. I'd like to hear the music updated and/or done in a different way, even though it would never be as good as the original, it would still be fun to hear something new. As long as the whole thing didnt sound techno like the "Rubberneckin" or "ALLC" did. I hated both of those remixes and I would bet that Elvis wouldnt have cared to much for them either.

As long as the whole thing do not sound techno: ALLC, Rubber, and the last 50's remixes (what a load of...) , neither the albums should sound like nice elevator strings or department store background music.

But if they got the right people to do it, with an artistic vision and a musical direction that suits Presley spirit, that before just the money making, it might sound just good.

I would like to see something like the Nina Simon Remixes album and the Mark Ronson remix on Dylan's "Mostly Like You Go Your Way", using new instrumentation that fits the groove and sound of the original (not betraying it like Felton's 80's crap) and looping and remixing the original licks and fills of Elvis band, sampling from many alternate recordings of the song in different ways, to bring out a new perspective of the song using the ORIGiNAL backing tracks. (Also The Beatles: "Love" thing could be an entertaining approach using just the original tracks). That I will buy.

Here are some samples of what might be good (at least for my point of view these remixes are Ok)

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=On98e0jINwE&feature=related

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZlq2xF7Ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1u489DqbMQ&feature=related

Trelane P
12-17-2008, 10:03 AM
The new remix album should include all new instrumentaion like the new duets album. They should do it with a rock or blues theme, not country or modern club remix styles. Listen to the new Merry Christmas Baby on the duets album. It is fantastic. Here it is:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gC688vi_OWU

ricky
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Since my last post i've changed my view on these "remix" albums, there not something i'm big on and don't really care for them.

I'm with you on this one Brad, I will stick with the originals!(y)

ricardo b. prospero
12-27-2008, 12:22 AM
It has been my policy as a long time Elvis fan to buy anything that got to do with him if they available here in our place.

Albert
12-27-2008, 12:31 AM
listening to the amazing remixes "The First Noel" and "If I Get Home On Christmas Day" on the Christmas Duets album, I am looking forward to a remix album in this style more than ever.

I don't mean a remix dance album, but something like a bigband treatment of ballads.

Tigerman_69
12-27-2008, 02:17 AM
Rumor has it that 2 new remix albums could be in the works for 09. Another duets album only this time with all different genres and a remix overdub album like done for the Xmas duets album.