PDA

View Full Version : Elvis and talk-shows?

ph10579
05-16-2006, 06:46 AM
During his lifetime was Elvis ever offered a guest apearance on any of the talk-shows of his day? Also were there any show topics of Elvis on talk-shows while he was still living? Thanks!

THENATUREBOY
05-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Elvis was of course on the "Steve Allen Show", "Ed Sullivan Show", and the Milton Berle Show" in the 1950s. But as for the 60s and 70s, he never appeared on Johnny Carson or any of those shows of the day.

JDD
05-16-2006, 07:01 AM
During his lifetime was Elvis ever offered a guest apearance on any of the talk-shows of his day? Also were there any show topics of Elvis on talk-shows while he was still living? Thanks!

From what I understand he was asked to be on several of the big talkers of the day, but the Colonel always vetoed them.

I've heard from some of the Memphis Mafia guys that the reason Elvis always gave them was to help keep the mystery alive, and to avoid making enemies. It was a very political time in the 60s and 70s, John Lennon for example made a lot of fans for his political views but he lost some too. The Colonel and Elvis always were careful not to let that part of Elvis become public. Its a shame though that someone never sat down with him, like they did some of the other big music acts and went through the catalog song by song, movie by movie and got Elvis ideals and thoughts on all of them. I think like most of us, they thought there would be time to do that later.

Albert
05-16-2006, 07:22 PM
... I've heard from some of the Memphis Mafia guys that the reason Elvis always gave them was to help keep the mystery alive.....

And it seems like it worked. By not appearing in other series and tv-shows, he was "above the other stars"... kept the crowd wanting for more, it really enforced the "Elvis The Icon" thing.

I also believe Elvis wasn't that fond of the idea of being interviewed. Especially during the later years Elvis seemed very uncomfortable while interviewed.

Greybeard
05-16-2006, 07:45 PM
At the time of the "68 TV Special - actor George Hamilton appeared on the Tonight Show representing Elvis an dthe Colonel to promote the then upcoming special. This information was passed on to me from another long time fan.
Regarding the Steve Allen Show- Milton Berle Show and the Sullivan shows- these were variety shows, although Steve Allen did host talk shows- the one Elvis appeared on was not the talk show format.
Greybeard

franny
05-17-2006, 02:01 AM
I also believe Elvis wasn't that fond of the idea of being interviewed. Especially during the later years Elvis seemed very uncomfortable while interviewed.

Albert, I always heard that Elvis didn't like to be interviewed and asked questions...He also didn't like to socialize with the hollywood crowd and he preferred to be at home around people he knew and trusted...

franny

Unchained Melody
05-17-2006, 03:20 AM
Albert, I always heard that Elvis didn't like to be interviewed and asked questions...He also didn't like to socialize with the hollywood crowd and he preferred to be at home around people he knew and trusted...

franny

Thats true Franny. Elvis felt more comfortable around his entourage, the memphis mafia. Alost all the time when Elvis was making movies in Hollywood they rareley went out, he didn't really like the lifestyle of people out there. So they through their own parties at his mansion.

FlamingStar
05-17-2006, 07:54 AM
And i can understand why he didn't like the lifestyle to the people in hollywood.

If someone had asked me to sing a horrible child song, i would never have did that!

At Elvis By the presleys, you can hear that Jerry Schilling say that when Elvis recorded OldMcDonald had a farm, he asked if it was going to be released on album, and they said that it shouldn't be released....

I think Elvis was verry unlucky when they released it just few weeks later.

God****! :angry: :angry:

graceland123
05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
i cant picture elvis on a talk show:D

nabelt24
05-19-2006, 06:29 AM
My favorite performances where from the Milton Berle Show. I also love his second appearance on Ed Sullivan.

TCE
05-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm sure that Elvis would've done great with Ophra, because she can put people who are with her at ease and Elvis could have unsolve some of the fake gossips that where told about him. So people could see a different Elvis, the real Elvis, and understand him better. Ofcourse he had to be able to keep the myth about him alive. I would have loved to see them together. (y) Elvis, maybe even could have lend a helping hand with Dr. Phill and Dr. Phill even maybe could have helped Elvs. Who knows! It's far searched I know, but not impossible.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

Raised on Rock
05-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I kind of like Elvis attitude about interviews, some times it is ridiculous to see how many interviews Lennon did in the 70's, I mean, were his opinions that relevant? yes,as a songwriter he was somehow a spokeman for his generation (awfull performer anyway), but all those interviews made him loose the touch and revealed him as the angry inmature vanguardist fake that sometimes was. P.S. Love him, when he forget all the crap and did the Rock and Roll album.

THen there was Dylan, lot of interviews in the 60's just as Elvis in the 50's, but during the 70's he became almost as much as inaccecible as Elvis, but then diferent times came, and now he talks and write about his life in a much more objetive way than John Lennon weak opinions about everything.

The thing is that Elvis didnt got the benefit of old age, and we will never get the chance to know his thoughts about his own life and carrer, wouldnt be great to lisent The King opinions about all his recording sessions one by one, his albums, his singles, movies, the musicians and people that work with him?