PDA

View Full Version : Memphis tourism

iloveelvis05
04-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey everyone! I'm going to Memphis for the first time this summer and of course I'm going to Graceland. My friend is coming with me and she wants to go to the Fender Factory. And I also want to hit up Sun Studios as well. But other than those places, where are some other places that we should visit??

JDD
04-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Personally I enjoy Mud Island and the Stax Museum of Music as well (they have a nice website if you aren't sure) as Sun which is short but there are some charicters working there that make it fun, and they cover some Million Dollar Quartet stuff there. If you're a partier, Beale Street is fun at night, but you need to watch your cash.

Menwithbrokenhearts
04-22-2006, 07:39 AM
HI.

My favorite places ( when I lived and went to college there) were
in addition to the ones listed

The Pink Palace Museum

Smithsonian Rock and Soul museum . ( within walking distance from Beale st. )

The Peabody Hotel ( call ahead for the duck ceremony time, pretty cool, Lansky's is there now too and sometimes you can talk to the man himself, who is there occasionally) You can also catch a horse and carriage ride around downtown Memphis there. Eat at Dux and go up on the roof. Francis Scott Key's piano is there also.

If you can see a concert at the Amphitheatre on Mud Island, it's cool with Memphis at night on the bluff in the background, and all seats are good! There's an awesome museum there too!

The Egyptian museum at the University of Memphis ( if you go, take Central Ave. on the way there and see some great southern mansions, and hit Union Ave. on the way back which will take you by Humes High School and Sun Records)

Captain Bilbo's

The Rendevous (best ribs in Memphis)

Porky's (second best bar b que in Memphis)

If you go south on Elvis Presley Blvd. it turns back into Hwy. 51 and you will end up in Tupelo and can visit Elvis' birthplace. It's not that far, and worth the visit.

There is also a great civil war battlefield called Shiloh that is not far. Worth going to see also.

Libertyland. Elvis' favorite rides, The Zippin Pippin and the bumper cars are still there, and as an added bonus it is right next to the Mid-South Coliseum where Elvis played several times. ( if they haven't torn it down yet)

Oh yeah, another good party spot is Overton Square. Great clubs there.

Also, if you go in May they have the Beale Street Blues Festival, National Barbque contest, Sunset Symphony.

If you go in the fall, check the schedule. The Audobon Arts and Crafts show, and the Arts in the Park over by the Shell is cool too.

Have fun!:clap: :clap:

Unchained Melody
04-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Hope you have a great time on your trip.

Albert
04-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey everyone! I'm going to Memphis for the first time this summer and of course I'm going to Graceland. My friend is coming with me and she wants to go to the Fender Factory. And I also want to hit up Sun Studios as well. But other than those places, where are some other places that we should visit??

O girl..... I am Sooooooo jealous :angry:

There's a great book written by Cindy Hazen and Mike Freeman that's a fantastic guide for everyone who's visiting Memphis "Elvis Style". Both writers live in Memphis and have listed all the important places for Elvis in Memphis. Some are the wellknown places, but there are also things listed (and nicely documented) that aren't wellknown.

Here's a link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0895871734/002-1380853-2232038?v=glance&n=283155)

And don't forget to keep us updated with your travel (and pictures of course ;))

Unchained Melody
04-26-2006, 03:30 AM
Yes, your lucky I want to go back so bad this summer.

NEA
04-26-2006, 04:40 AM
There's also the likes of The Pyramid, St. Jude's Hospital, Lauderdale Courts, and Overton Park (What's happening with 'The Shell' there these days?).

NEA.

iloveelvis05
06-05-2006, 08:34 PM
wow! thanks everyone for all of the great replies! i still yet have to visit Graceland, hopefully my friend that wants to take me doesn't back out. but don't worry...i'll keep ya'll updated.

thanks again! :D

ph10579
06-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Went there last year for Elvis week! Wish I could go this year!:'( Sooo... much fun!!!

tcbeus
06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Lucky guy, going there still my biggest dream!