PDA

View Full Version : Video of Hawaii 1961?

Menwithbrokenhearts
02-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Is there any video footage of the Hawaii concert of 1961 and how can I get it? Thanks alot !!!!

Captain Elwood David
02-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Is there any video footage of the Hawaii concert of 1961 and how can I get it? Thanks alot !!!!

I consider this event (The Pearl Harbor / Bloch Arena / USS Arizona Memorial Benefit Concert) to be one of the greatest EP venues ever performed.

Unfortunately, ............. it was never "Officially" recorded - audio or visually.

A rough audio was made available FIRST on the highly recommened "Golden Archives (Series) " version (vinyl & later CD) "Pearl Harbor Show" (with stunning artwork / packaging / including book-like insert with detailed discussion of the event - on the vinyl issue.

RCA later "Officially" released the same audio on their Silver Box Set (vinyl release 1980 / CD set 1998).

One of the few exceptions to "audience recordings" being acceptable (IMO), given the historical importance of the concert. (Sound is not so good, but better than the alternative - nothing).

------------------------------------------------------------------

If visual footage exists, ............... it is worth a goldmine.

After all these years, ......... it is, however, very unlikely to turn up.

That said, ....... I learned a long time ago that "anything is definitely possible" in The Elvis World.

I personally, don't believe any exists, though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A few B&W photos from the event have snuck out into the public domain, .............. but there are other unseen pics in private hands (as well as various other "relics" - if you will (wink) - from the event).

Believe it or not, ............... even surviving concert tickets from this event command big bucks.

Everything surrounding this event is very scarce & highly sought after by hardcore fans / collectors.

Hope this helps.

Capt. N8

a mess of blues
02-19-2006, 05:42 PM
I wish the cameras would have been rolling, because that would be an excellant concert to watch:clap:

Juan Luis
02-20-2006, 05:06 AM
The Hawaii 61 show is not audience recording. It was a radio broadcast Cap.

Captain Elwood David
02-20-2006, 05:15 AM
The Hawaii 61 show is not audience recording. It was a radio broadcast Cap.

Thanks, JLGB.

Yeah, I have heard the same, but I'm not so sure if that is actual FACT or rumour.

Has it been confirmed? Source(s)? (Besides, ........... FECC, ............. ;) ).

----------------------------------------------------

To my non-audiophile ears, .............. & IMO, ........... it sounds just as bad as an AR (audience recording).

However, even those in attendance at the event said that it was hard to hear E singing over all of the screaming, ........... so it may not be entirely the fault of the audio "source."

Capt. N8

Juan Luis
02-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Your welcome. Although you can hear all the instruments contrary to most audience recordings. I would not be surprised if someone just put a mic to the radio when it was broadcast. The.......told me......................being(a fact) from the radio. Using one of your words it is a myth(lol) that RCA copied the boot. They got their own tape . I do not remember the details though.

orwell1976
02-20-2006, 07:00 AM
It was filmed in color and with ten cameras. The dvd will be out next week. It will contain the concert in multi-angle and dolby 6.1! As a bonus there will be a complete making of with the king talking about that concert. The elvis interview was recorded at the Elvis Tribute Week 2005 in his bedroom at Graceland. And you wouldn't believe it: The room looks exactly like in 1977!

(y)

Captain Elwood David
02-20-2006, 07:35 AM
JLGB -

Thanks again. I believe you.

I tend to agree with you, also, on the RCA tape source; however, I do believe that there is a slight difference (very slight) in what was included on the RCA release vs. the boot. Haven't listened to both in a long, long, time, though (going strictly on memory here).

----------------------------------------------------

Orwell -

I have no doubt that when EPE decides to open the 2nd floor (literally or "virtually"), that that is exactly what they will claim (it is untouched since 1977).

EPE & MYTH go hand-n-hand.

Cappy

Sonny
02-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Going from memory also, I would say the source of both the bootleg and RCA recording is the same.

It does have the same flaws in sound as I recall.

I would say the overall sound on the RCA release is slightly better, probably because they "cleaned" it up.

Sonny

Juan Luis
02-20-2006, 03:16 PM
That makes sense also, and I will add that one party might have used a copy and one used original. Or both used copies ( made at different times) from a third source (original). That has happened a lot with Hayride material Imo.

Tommy
02-20-2006, 03:50 PM
It was filmed in color and with ten cameras. The dvd will be out next week. It will contain the concert in multi-angle and dolby 6.1! As a bonus there will be a complete making of with the king talking about that concert. The elvis interview was recorded at the Elvis Tribute Week 2005 in his bedroom at Graceland. And you wouldn't believe it: The room looks exactly like in 1977!

(y)

Is this really true about the DVD or are you joking.

thehillbillycat
02-20-2006, 07:41 PM
It is coming out on DVD. I saw the artwork of it. I got a bootleg copy of it but mine in not in Color mine is in Black and white. It is a good performance.

Maxim
02-20-2006, 07:56 PM
It is coming out on DVD. I saw the artwork of it. I got a bootleg copy of it but mine in not in Color mine is in Black and white. It is a good performance.
Please, don't joke this way. subj does not exists. If anyone seen the dvd - please, give us a link where to see details.

Joe Car
02-20-2006, 11:26 PM

Why are you pulling everybody's chain? You gave yourself away when you said "good performance". From all accounts, Elvis was in top form.

Captain Elwood David
02-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Is this really true about the DVD or are you joking.

:doh:

(Tommy, ............... of course he's joking).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That makes sense also, and I will add that one party might have used a copy and one used original. Or both used copies ( made at different times) from a third source (original). That has happened a lot with Hayride material Imo.

JL -

Your words above, unfortunately, make me highly skeptical - overall - of the "source(s)" for your "info."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RCA's tape does indeed sound cleaner, but one of them (boot or RCA) is indeed a bit longer (ie: not cut).

Cappy

Juan Luis
02-21-2006, 01:57 AM
What I wrote last was just educated speculation or guessing. If indeed the tapes are different in the sense independently recorded it should have a very marked difference in sound. And last time I checked using vinyl only both sounded pretty much the same. Maybe I was not that discerning then. And just because one is longer than the other can be pure editing and nothing else. So thats my theory or guess. My source came straight from the horses mouth. With the Hayride material the differences are plain as day with some sources sounding much better with little (to my ears) sound eq,enhancement etc.. some good stuff out there...

Menwithbrokenhearts
02-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Thank you for all your information, Cap'n and JLGB!
I will look into it and see what I can find, atleast audio would be nice.
It had to have been quite an event to attend!

Unchained Melody
03-18-2006, 07:28 AM
I haven't never seen any video from this historic concert but I do have it on cd with pretty good sound considering the age of it.