PDA

View Full Version : Tribute Special?

Fuzzylilkisses
02-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey,

Back in 2002 i think there was some sort of tribute special with artists performing Elvis songs. Could anyone tell me a bit about it?

ForeverTheKing
02-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi Fuzzylilkisses!
I know something about it...if I'm not wrong it was a TV special at NBC hosted by Chris Isaak to celebrate the 25th Anniversary.
There were interwiews to many artists (singers and actors) as Kevin Bacon, Bono, Dennis Hopper , Cher, Britney Spears, Naomi Campbell, Steven Tayler, Bruce Springsteen, B.B. King, Sarah Jessica Parker,president Bill Clinton ....talking about Elvis, his career and his important role in music at that time but also nowadays, his legacy for contemporary performers.
There were also live performances: Chris Isaak&Leann Rimes singing "Devile In Disguise" , Norah Jones - "Are You Lonesome Tonight", No Doubt - "Suspicious Minds" and many others.
I had the occasion to watch it and I found it quite interesting... a nice tribute to the King. :king:

elvisdownunder
02-06-2006, 08:10 AM
if that is the 'a tribute to the king' dvd in my australian online shop, is it really worth getting?

ForeverTheKing
02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, to me it's nothing new for his contents 'cause they said the usual things about Elvis, something we already know or we can find in others documentaries....his success, his innovation in music at that time, the fact he contributed to spread black music, his original and sexy movements on stage that influenced others performers as Micheal Jackson and so on...and they also put the usual clips of Elvis.

Anyway, it's interesting to see so many different people talking about him and what he represented for them ot their careers and their true admiration for Elvis and I liked a lot also the live performances 'cause I had never had the occasion to watch someone else covering his songs. It's something different and I think it's not so bad.(y)

EnigmaticSun
02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
If memory serves me correctly I think that there was a snippet of Elvis playing the piano; he sang Unchained Melody and it was taken from the CBS special. I thought it was a good idea to see footage from 1977 on TV, because this part of his career has so much to offer, although Priscilla may not agree... Correct me if I'm wrong!

Yes, it is true that Elvis enjoyed black music, but the importance of white music shouldn't be underestimated either - Elvis loved white gospel and country and it's a fallacy to state that whites don't know any rhythm. Do people have any idea how tough & fast the melodies of the Carter family and bluegrass music can be?

Anyway you look at it, I did enjoy seeing this special - although I really don't think that Elvis would have been a sissy without Johnny Cash. Sometimes my opinion changes over time concerning remarks that people have made.

boogie
02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Fuzzylilkisses!
I know something about it...if I'm not wrong it was a TV special at NBC hosted by Chris Isaak to celebrate the 25th Anniversary.
There were interwiews to many artists (singers and actors) as Kevin Bacon, Bono, Dennis Hopper , Cher, Britney Spears, Naomi Campbell, Steven Tayler, Bruce Springsteen, B.B. King, Sarah Jessica Parker,president Bill Clinton ....talking about Elvis, his career and his important role in music at that time but also nowadays, his legacy for contemporary performers.
There were also live performances: Chris Isaak&Leann Rimes singing "Devile In Disguise" , Norah Jones - "Are You Lonesome Tonight", No Doubt - "Suspicious Minds" and many others.
I had the occasion to watch it and I found it quite interesting... a nice tribute to the King. :king:

Think that occasion, Bryan Adams played "Hound Dog", not sure......

ForeverTheKing
02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't think so...maybe in another documentary or in a version of the special different from mine...I remember only Chris Isak and Leanne Rimes, No Doubt, Norah Jones and clips taken from Divas (for example Anastacia singing Jailhouse Rock or Cher singing Heartbreak Hotel) and U2 singing live Can't Help Falling In Love With You....

Lee82
02-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Think that occasion, Bryan Adams played "Hound Dog", not sure......

No, Bryan Adams didn't appear on that special. Not to my knowledge, anyway.

Wendy56
02-08-2006, 07:14 AM
I don't think so...maybe in another documentary or in a version of the special different from mine...I remember only Chris Isak and Leanne Rimes, No Doubt, Norah Jones and clips taken from Divas (for example Anastacia singing Jailhouse Rock or Cher singing Heartbreak Hotel) and U2 singing live Can't Help Falling In Love With You....
I did watch that special t.v program and even recorded it, (I haven't seen that show since then). I remember Cher and Nora Jones, they gave a nice performance. The long poem of Bono is what comes to my mind more.
An interesting tribute. (y)

Fuzzylilkisses
02-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer guys!

I really appreciate it :D