PDA

View Full Version : Elvis The Miniseries

Tommy
01-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Everybody,

For your information Jonathan Rhys Meyers, won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Miniseries "Elvis"

Tommy :)

ComeBackChick
01-19-2006, 12:18 PM
I just saw this on the IMDB site! Was surprised no one had posted something about it, but you already did!!!

http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2006/goldenglobes

joanne
01-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I thought Jonathan did a good job of playing Elvis.

Menwithbrokenhearts
01-20-2006, 05:28 AM
He did do a good job. I saw it when it came on tv and recorded it. I have watched it again and liked it better the second time. I think I was too critical the first time. I don't think anyone will ever be able to truly capture the Presley Magic. Too much charisma and talent in one person, too hard to replicate or act out. But Jonathan has kind of that sultry look and did pretty well acting and moving like him. He is a good actor and I have liked him in several other movies as well. I like his protrayal to the end, where he is doing "If I can Dream" at the 68 Comeback Special. I didn't like that part. But the rest is good, especially early in the movie.

curtis simpkins
01-20-2006, 05:57 AM
imo
i thought that this movie sucked big time.(n)

Wendy56
01-20-2006, 07:13 AM
I haven't seen the serie (has not been aired here in M?xico), but I watched the Golden Globes show and when I saw Jonathan... Well, he does't even look or sound like Elvis.
But a good thing is: a program about "the king" was awarded! :cool:

ForeverTheKing
05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
I've just bought the DVD of this miniseries (edited also in my country and language) and, to be honest, I liked it.

Jonathan R. Meyers doesn't look like Elvis but...who can look like him? Nobody I guess...we can only try to see if someone can do a good job.

Of course some aspects of Elvis were too forced, especially in the live performances....something that for Elvis was totally natural (his lip or some expressions) but I can understand how it can be hard to portrait him.
I also liked the cast in general...the actors who played the Colonel, Vernon and Gladys, Sam Phillips.
The strange thing I've noticed is that there were some funny "mistakes"...for example the pictures of Elvis in "Stay Away Joe" (in the Colonel's office) when they were still playing a previous period.:lol:

Anyway...I liked it a lot, more than the movie with Kurt Russell and of course much more than "Elvis And Me" ...(n)
I liked almost every live performance played by Jonathan, those in the fifties more than the last ones...."If I Can Dream" was something terrifying to see....nothing was similar to the original one, even the red "sheet" around his neck!:lmfao:

But my best compliments to this actor...although I don't like him so much I must admit he was really good..(y) :notworthy

JDD
05-22-2006, 07:27 PM
I was pretty underwhelmed by it myself.

Terry the Ted
05-22-2006, 07:37 PM
The strange thing I've noticed is that there were some funny "mistakes"...for example the pictures of Elvis in "Stay Away Joe" (in the Colonel's office) when they were still playing a previous period.:lol:

well spotted! did you also notice the satellite dish outside one of the houses, when Elvis is walking down the street with his girlfriend... crazy! :lol:
you would think that they'd make sure things were accurate when making a film like this, obviously not!

I guess the movie was ok, but there were parts that really made me cringe...
the 'if i can dream' scene was terrible,
it just goes to show how only Elvis can be Elvis!!! :notworthy :notworthy

ForeverTheKing
05-22-2006, 07:44 PM
well spotted! did you also notice the satellite dish outside one of the houses, when Elvis is walking down the street with his girlfriend... crazy! :lol:
you would think that they'd make sure things were accurate when making a film like this, obviously not!

I guess the movie was ok, but there were parts that really made me cringe...
the 'if i can dream' scene was terrible,
it just goes to show how only Elvis can be Elvis!!! :notworthy :notworthy

Well said...I noticed it too...and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the last scene...terrible!!!:lmfao:

Menwithbrokenhearts
05-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Every single person I have talked to, or opinion I have read, liked the movie or not, thought the last scene was horrendous. I liked the movie for the most part and thought the actors playing Gladys, Vernon and the Colonel were excellent. I know there are alot of inaccuracies and noone can look or act those moves naturally like Elvis did, but it is nice to see a movie done about him. I was extrememly critical at first and did not like it but on second watching it sort of grew on me. Try it, if you can stand it, and see. Just skip the last part. I did, it is too painful to watch.

graceland123
05-23-2006, 04:05 PM
i`ll have to rewatch the movie be cause i never spotted the sateelitte dish!
jonathan rhys meyers is a prett y good actor
i have just rented the dvd MATCHPOINT and it was excellent
you know the man playing vernon isnt he the same actor who played johnny s father in walk the line ?

tcbeus
05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
i liked jonathan rhys meyers in the movie,i think he is agood actor and played Elvis well enough,and i also think that we expect more from these actors than we should,i mean noone can be,noone will be Elvis.

Unchained Melody
05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
To simply put it, this movie was absolutley terrible (n) . Horrible job byJRM in my opinion, he could not dance, could not lip sing, his hair looked like he hadn't washed it in months :blink: .

franny
05-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I'm sorry, this may sound very critical, but I have to say I think it was an awful movie as well...(n)...This is only my opinion...

I couldn't stand watching it and when JRM was shown in that scene in the 68' Comeback Special...saying that Elvis line "there's something wrong with my lip".. you know the part...I thought OMG!! This is so terrible! Then the ending "If I Can Dream"..I was thinking if only I could dream of a better Elvis movie to see:lmfao:

I'm not saying JRM is a bad actor, but he was awful as Elvis and the movie was very poorly written...there was a lot of inaccuracies...(n)

franny

Menwithbrokenhearts
05-24-2006, 05:55 AM
you know the man playing vernon isnt he the same actor who played johnny s father in walk the line ?
Yeah, that's the same guy. Jason Patrick is his name I think. He was the new Terminator in Terminator 2, also in Fire in the Sky and the last two seasons of X files. I like him, he's a good actor. I think he has a brother who is in the rock group Filter too.

JDD
05-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Yeah, that's the same guy. Jason Patrick is his name I think. He was the new Terminator in Terminator 2, also in Fire in the Sky and the last two seasons of X files. I like him, he's a good actor. I think he has a brother who is in the rock group Filter too.

Robert Patrick, "Agent Doggett" (I only caught that because I'm a huge X files fan too) was the only saving grace in the mini series for me.

He also played Johnny Cash's dad in last years "Walk the line" so he's been the Father of the Late Great Sun Stars, Elvis and Johnny Cash both in different films.
He just needs to make it a grand slam and play Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins dad on film now to get the whole Million dollar quartet

Menwithbrokenhearts
05-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Robert Patrick, "Agent Doggett" (I only caught that because I'm a huge X files fan too) was the only saving grace in the mini series for me.

He also played Johnny Cash's dad in last years "Walk the line" so he's been the Father of the Late Great Sun Stars, Elvis and Johnny Cash both in different films.
He just needs to make it a grand slam and play Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins dad on film now to get the whole Million dollar quartet

Robert Patrick, right! I was thinking of that guy "Jason Patric" from Lost Boys. Got the names mixed up. As for X-files, I agree completely. That was the only saving grace for me also. He was great on that show. I have the whole set and I'm trying to get my wife into it.

graceland123
05-24-2006, 06:16 PM
he looks a lot like vernon i think
jonathan rhys meyers won an award was it a golden globe im not sure so someone must of thought he was good

Lee82
05-26-2006, 04:31 AM

:lmfao: Yeah, I did think it was weird that he played both Elvis' and Johnny Cash's dads (and around the same time). JDD, I'll have to agree with you and Menwithbrokenhearts that he was the "only saving grace in the mini series."

I'm a big X-Files fan, too. :) They used to film it near where I live, and I loved seeing familiar sights while watching. (I was kind of sad when they moved it to LA...)

THENATUREBOY
05-29-2006, 05:15 AM
imo
i thought that this movie sucked big time.(n)

That is pretty much my review of the movie/mini-series.

Unchained Melody
05-29-2006, 07:46 AM
thats about how the movie was the entire time

Sheila
05-29-2006, 11:04 PM
PPPPleassseeeee stop talking about this "Elvis" miniseries!! It was the WORST OF ALL TIME!! Bad actorsand all!! It really SUCKS!!