PDA

View Full Version : Long Black Limosine

cutiepie
12-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Season's Greetings!

I LOVE Long Black Limosine--I know the subject matter is quite morbid...about a funeral, and all. But, I love Elvis' interpretation -- achingly, without being overwrought...

Would you know which album that came from? I can't remember. Which other songs would be similar to this one can you recommend?

What style is it--blues, gospel...combination? What is the difference between blues and jazz, anyway? I can't pin it down, but I know it when I see it!

Thank you for your input! I'm feeling quite inquisitive today!

:newyear:

maccafan1985
12-18-2005, 11:08 PM
cutiepie,
I think it is a great song too! I know it is on Suspicious Minds Memphis Anthology set, but I think it was originally on From Elvis In Memphis. It sounds like a mix of blues, country, and gospel, but I am not to good at pinning it down. It is a great song though, I love it and Wearin' That Loved On Look from the same album, just great, actually the whole album is fantastic.(y)

Sattnin
12-19-2005, 12:58 AM
I have never heard of this song. Just downloaded it and like it!! Thanks!!

Raised on Rock
12-19-2005, 01:26 AM
I will say that the style coud be labeled as "Soul" or even R&B, it is what is called the Memphis sound anyway, the town mix of the music tradition that comes from one side from the rural to urban blues, and the Dixieland, the Rags, and Jazz sound on the other, touching both torrents of african american music on the gospel tradition, developing to R&B and Soul music. Now, that, encountering in its way with the country (in its various forms) and popular music from the "white people" emerege on diferent points as an hibryd in the from Rockabilly Rock and Roll, being Elvis and Sam Philips among with Scotty Moore and Bill BLack, and then Elvis as a smashing succes all over the country with RCA definetively turning point among other were measured, even Berry who stop being an R&B guy to be a ROck and ROller after Elvis sun records even if he wasnt aware of that. As Led Zeppelin´s Robert Plant put it: "ELvis was so crucial".

THen ROck and ROll as a lest say individual, a mean as a musical genere in its own, influenced R&B and Soul (remember Green Onions?), wihch evolved in a more raw and powerfull way at some points (Memphis Stax as an expample of that) or in a more complicated sofisticated style in others (THe Motown SOund for intance)

The American Sound Studio founded by Chips Moman in Memphis was unique not only for his sound which put together the raw and punch of the Horns Drums and Bass of one side of the "Soul generation" and the sofisticated or lets better say complicated or elaborated arrangments of the other side of Soul and R&B, but for being a place were both black and White artist recorded and played with no race distintion, adding with that a reencounter with contemporary country, pop, and rock and roll, including brithis rock and pop, music, which made of Elvis Presley the ideal artist to record there and made of that melting pot sound his own plus his very unique touch both in vocal style, and in his own way to mix and melt diferent syles.

So that all I have to say about that as Forrest Gump would say, duh. More songs like that? well just get the Memphis '69 Antologhy: Susipicious Minds. But to mention some songs for instance, lets say a... Wearing THat Loved On Look, Inherit THe WInd, In THe Ghetto, Rubberneckin even. BUt more than anyones: Only The Stong Survive and Any Day Now.

Great song isnt it?

orwell1976
12-19-2005, 07:36 AM
This song has always been one of my favorites. That tune is really great and Elvis' performance is simply stunning!

(y)

Joe Car
12-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Season's Greetings!

I LOVE Long Black Limosine--I know the subject matter is quite morbid...about a funeral, and all. But, I love Elvis' interpretation -- achingly, without being overwrought...

Would you know which album that came from? I can't remember. Which other songs would be similar to this one can you recommend?

What style is it--blues, gospel...combination? What is the difference between blues and jazz, anyway? I can't pin it down, but I know it when I see it!

Thank you for your input! I'm feeling quite inquisitive today!

:newyear:

You have to get that Elvis from Memphis CD, it's incredible and ranks among his best albums, if not his best album ever!

Albert
12-19-2005, 09:22 AM
This song is way underrated. From lyrics to music, it's a great song. Elvis also sung it with so much passion. The slow start, working to a huge climax. This song should have been a classic.

I've always wondered if this was a personal song for Elvis. It sounds so emotional.

Joe Car
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM

Sattnin, there are many gems from that album. I believe Raised On Rock listed a few. My personal favorite is Any Day Now, True Love Travels on a Gravel Road as well as LB Limosine are also great.

TCE
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
The entyer album is great. I think. When I'm down (and that's often) I listen to those songs and I get hope again.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

NEA
12-19-2005, 11:41 PM
"Through tear-filled eyes I watch, as you ride by, oohh yeah...

A Chauffeur...A Chauffeur at the wheel dressed up so fine...."

Oh, the goose bumps...the hairs on my neck...Magical!!

cutiepie
12-20-2005, 05:16 AM
You have to get that Elvis from Memphis CD, it's incredible and ranks among his best albums, if not his best album ever!

would I be able to find that album on Jordan's??

I'm beginning to like "High Heel Sneakers" (I think that's the name...too!
Thanks!

mistymorning
12-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi Sattnin
can you please tell me how can I download it too?any links to go?!
Thank you very much!

Joe Car
12-20-2005, 02:21 PM
would I be able to find that album on Jordan's??

I'm beginning to like "High Heel Sneakers" (I think that's the name...too!
Thanks!

Yes you would. Go to Elvis library, then click on Real Audio special, once on their, click on American Sound Studio Sessions, kick back an enjoy. There are the master's and alternate tapes as well.

cutiepie
12-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Yes you would. Go to Elvis library, then click on Real Audio special, once on their, click on American Sound Studio Sessions, kick back an enjoy. There are the master's and alternate tapes as well.

Thank You Joe Car!!!!! :merryxmas

I'm listening to different versions of LB --and god, it's soooooooooo goood! It gives me chills! I can't wait to listen to the rest!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JerryNodak
12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Great song. It's my favorite track on an excellent album.

elvis fan 1976
12-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Long Black Limousine
(V. Stovall - B. George)

There's a long line of mourners
Driving down our little street
Their fancy cars are such a sight to see, oh yea
They're all rich friends who knew you in the scene
And now they've finally brought you
Brought you home to me

When you left you know you told me
That some day you'd be returnin'
In a fancy car, all the town to see, oh yea,
Well now everyone is watching you
You finally had your dream, yea
You're ridin' in a long black limousine

You know the papers told of how you lost your life, oh yea
The party, the party and the fatal crash that night
Well the race along the highway, oh the curve you didn't see
When you're riding in that long black limousine

Through tear filled eyes I watch as you pass by oh yea
A chauffeur, a chauffeur at the wheel dressed up so fine
Well I never, I never, never, never
Oh my heart, all my dreams yea, they're with you
In that long black limousine

Yea, yea, they're with you in that long black limousine

Yea, yea, they're with you in that long black limousine

karlos
12-22-2005, 01:44 PM
the album where this song is called - From Elvis In Memphis ,and its on the cd - -Memphis Anthology . Its also on the 5 cd set - called - Ultimate 60s Masters .

This song is a good song doen at the Memphis Recording Studios in 1969.
Chips Moman was the producer of these legendary sessions .
Elvis was in top form and did a great job on this song .-
Even tho its about a funeral - its still a great song that Elvis performed brilliantly .
:merryxmas
Long L ive The King

Joe Car
12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
To me, this a CD that BMG should push and get out there, it's so good, so underrated. Instead, they would rather rehash the same songs over and over, what frickin *****s! Our guy was in a zone when he did this album on top of everything else he was working with the hottest studio band around as well as they were cranking out hit after hit for many artists, especially Neil Diamond.

cutiepie
12-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Long Black Limousine
(V. Stovall - B. George)

There's a long line of mourners
Driving down our little street
Their fancy cars are such a sight to see, oh yea
They're all rich friends who knew you in the scene
And now they've finally brought you
Brought you home to me

Anyone know from who's perspective this song was written? I love how Elvis sings it!!!

elvisdownunder
12-23-2005, 05:53 AM
fantastic song, one of Elvis's best. he had a cold when he sang it, so his voice was quite rough when he recorded it, but that only added to the passion. Elvis done a fantastic version, that NO ONE could top

i'd like to offer you my version of the song i just re-recorded today. its a bit re-strained, and no where as good as our man, but its one of my fave songs and it was good to do it

:merryxmas

:xmas:

KPM
12-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Wearin That Looked on Look is another great one from that album-so raw it hurts.

elvisdownunder
12-24-2005, 10:43 AM
have u ehard the out takes of that song? hilarious!

Elvis has trouble controlling his voice with his cold and he cracks a couple of times, and it sounds really funny.

fantastic song, the whole 69 sessions were the best Elvis ever did!

KPM
12-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Ya Ive heard they outtakes and hearing his voice crack is so funny because you never think he ever had trouble singing. Its makes him more human.