PDA

View Full Version : elvis in...german?

cutiepie
11-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Hi!

I hope those of us living in the US has had a nice Thanksgiving--and those elsewhere are enjoying the weekend! :)

I was cleaning up and listening to "Wooden Heart," when Elvis switches languages. I'm guessing it's German, but I could be wrong. I have not read anything that refers to this in my books. Is there a back story to this?

By the way--I'm a nervous wreck :blink: I'm about to start a new job tomorrow, and I'm TERRIFIED!!! :supriced:

Tommy
11-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Hi cutiepie

Good luck with your new job! (y) Elvis just sang part of the song in German as far as I know.

Tommy :)

orwell1976
11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
It is German (the song is originally a so called "Volkslied" (the translation would be "folk song" but it means more like "traditional") and it is called "Muss I Denn Zum Staedtele Hinaus" (that would be "When I have to leave town")).

amzietamzie
11-28-2005, 07:21 PM
well isn't elvis' character in the film (G.I. Blues) in germany singing at a children's puppet show and so it makes sense in terms of the plot for him to sing in german for a while- the german children sing along. i love his voice in wooden heart....
good luck in your job!

orwell1976
11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
...I don't like "Wooden Heart" that much, but it may be that you look at this song differently when you are from Germany. It seems somewhat strange now, but I guess at the time it was recorded it was a good idea.

EnigmaticSun
12-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I love that tune; It is not the only European tune Elvis liked to sing, though. I know a live version from 1975 (I thought it was from FTD 'Dinner At Eight' with a December show in Las Vegas) - Unless I'm very much mistaken, he also sang at New Year's Eve '75..?

There are more European tunes..

It's Now Or Never
Are You Lonesome Tonight
Tonight's So Right For Love
Surrender
No More
Spanish Eyes
Hurt (This was called 'A Chi' in Italian, ya know?)
Can't Help Falling In Love

Just to name a few.. My bodily fluids tell me that there are many more, so just keep adding 'em to that list, ladish an' genniemen!

EnigmaticSun
12-01-2005, 03:20 PM
...I don't like "Wooden Heart" that much, but it may be that you look at this song differently when you are from Germany. It seems somewhat strange now, but I guess at the time it was recorded it was a good idea.

It still is.. A true gem, an Elvis classic from the early 60's era. My traditional priest and I really like this sound..!

It's not just because I live in Germany right now; in fact I was born as calvinist white trash in Paramaribo At The Amstel (Amsterdam, The Netherlands). I have got that Johnny Cash-like sound and look (if I want to - I can sing pretty high as well, though - I'd like to mention Roy Orbison and Elvis).

I'm not from the States, but the Anglo-sax influence on my life is so overwhelming that I can speak English as if it were my native tongue. I can talk both with a southern accent (from The Bible Belt) and a typical European style (English; like Cambridge and Oxford-people).

But that (the language of the original) is not so important, the ageless quality of Elvis' his performance and of the melody is what matters most! :D