PDA

View Full Version : audience New Year's Eve

Albert
06-12-2004, 03:50 PM

Live in: Pittsburgh, PA. - December 31, 1976

http://www.tcb-world.com/files/listen.gif Tracklist: (click on the track to hear a 20 second sample) Help

DISC ONE

01: Also Sprach Zarathustra
02: See See Rider
03: I Got A Woman/Amen
04: Big Boss Man
05: Love Me
06: Fairytale
07: You Gave Me A Mountain
08: Jailhouse Rock
09: It's Now Or Never
10: My Way
11: Funny How Time Slips Away
12: Auld Lang Syne
13: Introduction of Vernon and Lisa
14: Blue Suede Shoes
15: Trying To Get To You
16: Polk Salad Annie

DISC TWO

01: Introduction of the band
02: Early Morning Rain
03: What'd I Say
04: Johnny B. Goode
05: Band solos
06: Love Letters
07: School Days
08: Fever
09: Hurt
10: Hound Dog
11: Are You Lonesome Tonight?
12: Reconsider Baby
13: Little Sister
14: Unchained Melody
15: Rags To Riches
16: Can't Help Falling In Love
17: Closing Vamp

Reviews:
Armond Joseph
Andy Urias

Albert
07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
"Beauty Is In The Ear Of The Beholder"
Reviewed by Armond Joseph

The first bootleg recording I ever owned was an LP titled "Rockin' With Elvis New Years' Eve." I bought it from a dealer in New York for $15.00 back in 1977. It was the first release of the now infamous concert, and it stands, in my mind anyway, as the very best Elvis bootleg production ever! The artwork was top rate: cool photos, liner notes, and so on. The sound, though nowhere close to a soundboard recording, was very good for an audience recording. As a matter of fact, this one LP became the standard by which I judge all other bootlegs, be it a CD or an LP. So when FTD decided to throw their hat into the ring and officially release this great concert, I was excited.

And I must say that I am not disappointed. I won't waste your time describing the actual show. Just the fact that you're reading this review is proof enough that you have heard of it, and you probably own one of the unofficial versions that are out there. I too, in my quest for something better on CD, have secured two other versions of this concert. One is "Auld Lang Syne" and the other is "Pittsburgh 76." As far as I can tell, ALS is the exact same recording as the LP, with the same drop outs, mixing, and so on. As far as CD's go, it is a great production all the way around.

"Pittsburgh '76" is a different story. First off, the original production is a CDR, which wreaks havoc on my older CD player. It too is an audience recording, but from a different spot in the house, namely from behind the stage. It is incomplete, and has quite a bit of noise distortion, especially in the beginning. It has been hailed as the better sounding version of this concert, but I don't know why? It has a different sound, but it certainly isn't better.

The FTD version comes from the same tape as the LP and Auld Lang Syne. However, it is complete; so much so that I now know why a few seconds of Can't Help Falling In Love are missing on the LP and ALS! Yes, there is some noise, and I found myself having to adjust the treble down a bit, but there's noise on every release of this concert I've ever heard. FTD put together some great photos for this release. Overall, I think it's great. If you don't have this version, I would recommend that you buy it. Especially for us fans in the United States, which is a virtual bootleg wasteland, any bootleg that FTD decides to release will be a welcome treat.

? Armond Joseph, Union, Missouri USA - April 2003

Albert
07-20-2004, 11:54 AM
"Elvis: New Years Eve"
Reviewed by Andy Urias

The release of ELVIS: NEW YEARS EVE is one of the most controversial FTD releases so far. It really seems to fall into 3 categories: 1) fans who do not own the show via bootleg love having a chance to hear one of Elvis's most famous shows from a solid audience source, 2) fans despise the fact that BMG released an audience recording because they hate the sound quality, 3) fans who have the show via bootleg didn?t want FTD wasting one of their annual releases on a show they already have. All of these are valid reasons for liking or disliking this release. FTD had to have known that this was the case prior to releasing this show, however, in the end they felt that for historical reasons, they should make this famous show available.

Is this a bad idea? It depends on which of the 3 categories above make the most sense to each individual consumer. Obviously, if one does not own the show via bootleg, it is a fantastic opportunity to finally be able to hear this show. And for those who already own it via bootleg, FTD does have the right to issue historically important shows even if the bootleg market has already made it available. It is actually their duty. Elvis and his music is constantly generating new fans and why should they have to hunt down hard-to-find or out-of-print bootlegs of famous sessions or shows when FTD can help by making this material available? With regards to some consumers' distaste for audience recordings, well, it is understandable. Audience recordings can be very difficult to listen to. But when a show is unfortunately unavailable in the form of multi-track tapes or in the form of a soundboard recording, sometimes there is justification with regards to releasing the show if it is historically significant. And if it just comes down to one hating audience recordings of any quality, then the release should simply not be purchased.

FTD did the right thing here. After 1972, the quality and consistency of Elvis' live performances dropped substantially with a few highlights and gems scattered throughout the next 5 years. One of his last great moments on stage is considered to be his 1976 New Years Eve show in Pittsburgh. For years, there have been rumors that a soundboard recording exists, yet it has never officially been proven. The fact that BMG/FTD settled upon releasing this show in the form of an audience recording gives the impression that a soundboard recording may never surface. Apparently there has been a demand for an official release of this famous show and FTD made a bold move in releasing it from an audience source. Apparently it is the same source that has been used in the past on the famous bootleg "Auld Lang Syne." Some fans feel the bootleggers have done a better job with the production of this tape, in the end it is an audience recording and the comparison in sound quality or mastering to untrained ears really is hard to distinguish. It really is nice to have this show available officially.

Is it really one of Elvis' greatest shows? Well it certainly has that reputation and there is no doubt that upon listening to this concert that it is of much higher quality than a lot of post 72-73 shows. However, if one has any experience with listening to solid audience recordings and then hearing the same show or shows via soundboard/multi-track tapes, there is a lot that can be missed on the audience recording. Good audience recordings can have a lot of energy and punch, but they hide a lot of little details from the stage that the professionally recorded tapes don't miss. The audience recording of the show makes it appear as though this really is an out of the ordinary Elvis concert from the era. But if one listens closely, it sounds just like a great show from 76 with Elvis in an inspired mood and the desire to really perform on this particular night. Can this compare to a show from 1970 as some have suggested? No way.

FTD should be commended for releasing an audience recording, even if one doesn't like the source of NEW YEARS EVE. There are some fantastic shows that Elvis performed that are only represented by audience sources (the November 11, 1970 show in Portland is another famous show that FTD could justify releasing unless they have a board). While FTD should keep the audience recording releases to a rare minimum, occasionally there is a historical moment in Elvis' rich musical legacy that needs exposure and if an audience source is all that is available, this type of release is appropriate.

? Andy Urias, July 2004

AKing
12-23-2004, 12:44 PM
For my money it is one of the best shows he ever did. Just to hear him sit at the piano and sing Rags to riches..OMG what a thrill...
Thanks for the great post Albert and for all you do here. (y)

Next Step
02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
FTD used audience recording at last.
But this is still very enjoyble recording. First, really outstanding
percormance from 1976 tour. Second, very good mono recording.
This recording captured from 1976 arena Elvis show. I like it!
This is an audience recording for Beginners before the bootleg.

LeMond
03-17-2005, 09:54 AM
I was a little weary at first when I heard about this cd coming out.
In the past I have purchased a lot of concerts on bootlegs and in some cases was very disappointed with the sound quality of the cd's.(it doesn't say on every cd whether it's a soundboard or audience recording)
So when I heard that FTD was releasing an audience recording of a concert I couldn't understand why?
Now I must say that I am very happy I bought it.
Granted, the quality of the recording is nowhere near a soundboard but is still very good for an audience recording. (I have heard bootlegs that claim to be soundboards that sound worse than this cd)
I can truly enjoy the concert without worrying too much about the quality.
Overall a good release and a great concert.
Recommended!!!

elvisdownunder
10-17-2005, 07:12 AM
i don't care bout the sound quality, although it'd be nice to have a sound board (multi track would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E)
his performance is one of the BEST he ever gave, i have the video too, he really done well that night. on polk salad annie he goes nuts!

almost every performance is a highlight. a MUST HAVE!

rick
10-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Terrific show but I played my old records (I've got two copies and had them taped) often enough that the FTD didn't get many spins
rick

IM4Elvis
08-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. This is an awesome release and a very historic show. Elvis is in a great mood and great voice. Elvis performing, playing the guitar, and playing the piano, what a treat! The reprise of "Hurt" is one of the best. Having a "live" version of "Rags to Riches," is awesome.

Even during the hot days of summer, I still listen to this one! Thanks FTD!
IM

elvis himselvis
08-11-2006, 07:54 PM
hello friends

I'm going to buy the cd next week. a really great show if i look at the songlist and when i look at the dvd with this concert it's really great.I don't think the sound is very bad,at least you can hear him sing the songs clearly.
Great FTD(y)

Dave

elvisdownunder
08-23-2006, 08:18 AM
You have made a friggin good choice. This was Elvis at his late best, you can't go wrong, except maybe for the sound.

tony70
09-05-2008, 04:55 AM
have this on cdr - video what ever it is very cool concert i like it , watch it all the time

Trev1
09-08-2008, 09:11 PM
This is a really good concert, but I was just dissapointed with the sound (n) Still though its a historic recording and nice to have (y)

easyrider
01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
This is a very good concert

nabelt24
03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
This is a MUST HAVE!!! One of his best and most historic concerts. For an audience recording, the sound quality is great. I recommend it for anyone.

Trev1
07-29-2009, 03:33 PM
The version of Rags To Riches on this is AMAZING !

Mr.TCB
08-17-2009, 04:24 AM
This is a great show. I have this show on DVD.

Unchained Melody
08-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Elvis' last truly great show, of course its got it be released officially and I love it. At first I was dissapointed as i was expecting the sound to be better than Auld Lang Syne, still a must have !~

Sonny
04-28-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wyry-Ms-os

The full album