PDA

View Full Version : outtakes The Nashville Marathon

Albert
06-12-2004, 01:42 PM

THE NASHVILLE MARATHON - Outtakes From Elvis' June & September 1970 Recording Sessions

*** DELETED TITLE ***

http://www.tcb-world.com/files/listen.gif Tracklist: (click on the track to hear a 20 second sample) Help

01: Mystery Train/Tiger Man (Jam) - Instrumental
02: Twenty Days And Twenty Nights - take 3
03: I've Lost You - take 1
04: The Sound Of Your Cry - take 3
05: Bridge Over Troubled Water - take 1
06: How The Web Was Woven - take 1
07: The Next Step Is Love - take 10
08: I'll Never Know - take 1
09: Life - take 10
10: Love Letters - take 1
11: Heart Of Rome - take 1
12: Mary In The Morning - take 4
13: Sylvia - take 9
14: It's Your Baby, You Rock It - take 3
15: It Ain't No Big Thing - take 6
16: A Hundred Years From Now - takes 1 & 2
17: Tomorrow Never Comes - take 2
18: Snowbird - take 1
19: Rags To Riches - take 2
20: Where Did They Go, Lord - take 3

Reviews:
spinout-designs

spinout-designs
06-20-2004, 12:36 AM
THE NASHVILLE MARATHON CD - FTD LABEL
Running time 68.09 minutes

Overview.

In 1970 Elvis attended two recording sessions at RCA's Studio B, Nashville, Tennessee.

The bulk of the tracks from these sessions were recorded between June 4-8 with the second Nashville session for that year taking place on Sept 22 (you will find further session information at the bottom of this brief overview).

This CD marks the 3rd major CD release of outtakes from the Nashville 70 sessions, the other 2 CD's having been released a good few years ago now namely 'Essential Elvis Vol 4 - A Hundred Years From Now' (BMG) and 'There's A Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On' (Import - Circle G label)

Although both these CD's were outstanding, yet, very similar releases, the FTD disc being reviewed here in my opinion, in many respects, manages to eclipse them both.

On 'The Nashville Marathon' we are treated to several tracks which had never before had genuine alternate versions made available such as Sylvia, How The Web Was Woven, Mary In The Morning.

Furthermore, in the case of The Next Step Is Love and Life (given the release of the box set Today Tomorrow and Forever around the same time period) we have now been presented with 2 outstanding alternate takes of each.

Notice the signifficantly different phrasing on The Next Step Is Love on these outtakes (the line ..."yesterday has slipped away".....) when compared to the now familiar master, fantastic stuff, this track has always been a favourite of mine.

It is hard to choose outstanding performances on a CD such as this in which almost every track is a highlight as far as I am concerned but worthy of mention is a tremendous outtake of The Sound Of Your Cry. Elvis is really getting into the song and having a blast with it and it is a joy to listen to. Although it fades out after more than 5 minutes I have to say if it had continued for another five it still would not have been long enough for me - awesome !

If only cameras had been rolling to catch the dynamic moves and gyrations that may have possibly accompanied this rendition (as they accompanied certain TTWII rehearsal numbers that summer of 1970).

Additionally,take 1 of 'Bridge' is simply beautiful and Tomorrow Never Comes finishes with a "strip your gears" powerhouse ending !

There is also some x rated language which, somewhat surprisingly at the time, had not been edited out of this release which FTD deserves credit for, as it only enhances the being there at the session feeling. As with all the FTD releases the disc comes housed in a digipac together with a nice choice of artwork. Details of the band members included inside directly corresponds to the photograph used on the front cover.

This CD might not have been released in the now discontinued "Essential" series, however, if ever the word essential described a CD it is this one. This is not only one of the finest FTD releases but for me, one of the most enjoyable Elvis CD releases to date.

Highly recommended !

(adapted from an overview I originally wrote at the time of this discs initial release)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASHVILLE 1970 Studio B - THE SESSIONS

June 4 - Twenty Days And Twenty Nights : I've Lost You : I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago : The Sound Of Your Cry : The Fool : A Hundred Years From Now : Little Cabin On The Hill : Cindy, Cindy

June 5 - Bridge Over Troubled Water : Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands Off Of It : How The Web Was Woven : It's Your Baby, You Rock It : Stranger In The Crowd : I'll Never Know : Mary In The Morning

June 6 - I Didn't Make It On Playing Guitar : It Ain't No Big Thing (But It's Growing) : You Don't Have To Say You Love Me : Just Pretend : This Is Our Dance : Life : Heart Of Rome

June 7 - When I'm Over You : I Really Don't Want To Know : Faded Love : Tomorrow Never Comes : The Next Step Is Love : Make The World Go Away : Funny How Time Slips Away : I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water : Love Letters

June 8 - There Goes My Everything : If I Were You : Only Believe : Sylvia : Patch It Up

September 22 - Snowbird : Where Did They Go, Lord : Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On : Rags To Riches

P.S. Annie
06-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Great reviews Spinout (y)

carolynlm
06-20-2004, 12:01 PM
The Nashville Marathon remains a firm favourite of mine. It was the first time I had ever heard Elvis swear...truely.....I had never heard even a G....d..., or anything. The funny thing was that I had received this in the mail one morning when I was heading off on a 3 hour train trip, so I saved it for the train. Just imagine yourself sitting next to someone who has suddenly heard her idol use a four letter word. :D :D I just burst out laughing....I couldn't believe it....I had to slink down in the seat after that............Very embarrassing...... :P

jbgude
11-23-2004, 06:20 PM
The best FTD set by a close margin for me.....To hear the "pure Elvis" sound and some truly alternate takes is wonderful.

jb

JerryNodak
12-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Elvis in the early '70s. Great! A must have. 5 stars.

michu
05-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Yes,it is outstanding!No need for more words:)

waymore44
08-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Anybody designed a cover for this one?

ehollier
08-10-2008, 04:24 PM
This is a good CD from that 1970 recording session. The selection of songs are good, but I feel that a certain passion is lacking in Elvis' voice, less soulfulness, if you will. Personally, I prefer the sound and genre of the music from the Memphis Sessions.

easyrider
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Another great cd.

Lisarose
03-24-2009, 05:30 AM
This is one I listen to often! I love it. Next step is Love is one great song, IMO, with so many little wonderful musical phrasings,

molokai123
06-28-2009, 04:35 PM
this probably one of my favorites FTD'S im talking Top 5!! great cd my favorite track is the sound of your cry,this is how the song should have been released,without all the extra overdubb and rocky soundtrack like horns!!

Jimmy1966
08-22-2009, 03:06 PM
i absolutley love this cd it's awsome to just sit down and listen to the take of 'sound of your cry' what a vocal performance, loved to have seen him sing this one live in T.T.WI.I Aw well i can dream can't i lol

JulietteKlonk
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
All the great songs,this is the King.

hot for elvis 69
02-08-2010, 05:10 PM
GReat songs

Albert
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
THE NASHVILLE MARATHON CD - FTD LABEL
Running time 68.09 minutes

Overview.

In 1970 Elvis attended two recording sessions at RCA's Studio B, Nashville, Tennessee.

The bulk of the tracks from these sessions were recorded between June 4-8 with the second Nashville session for that year taking place on Sept 22 (you will find further session information at the bottom of this brief overview).

This CD marks the 3rd major CD release of outtakes from the Nashville 70 sessions, the other 2 CD's having been released a good few years ago now namely 'Essential Elvis Vol 4 - A Hundred Years From Now' (BMG) and 'There's A Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On' (Import - Circle G label)

Although both these CD's were outstanding, yet, very similar releases, the FTD disc being reviewed here in my opinion, in many respects, manages to eclipse them both.

On 'The Nashville Marathon' we are treated to several tracks which had never before had genuine alternate versions made available such as Sylvia, How The Web Was Woven, Mary In The Morning.

Furthermore, in the case of The Next Step Is Love and Life (given the release of the box set Today Tomorrow and Forever around the same time period) we have now been presented with 2 outstanding alternate takes of each.

Notice the signifficantly different phrasing on The Next Step Is Love on these outtakes (the line ..."yesterday has slipped away".....) when compared to the now familiar master, fantastic stuff, this track has always been a favourite of mine.

It is hard to choose outstanding performances on a CD such as this in which almost every track is a highlight as far as I am concerned but worthy of mention is a tremendous outtake of The Sound Of Your Cry. Elvis is really getting into the song and having a blast with it and it is a joy to listen to. Although it fades out after more than 5 minutes I have to say if it had continued for another five it still would not have been long enough for me - awesome !

If only cameras had been rolling to catch the dynamic moves and gyrations that may have possibly accompanied this rendition (as they accompanied certain TTWII rehearsal numbers that summer of 1970).

Additionally,take 1 of 'Bridge' is simply beautiful and Tomorrow Never Comes finishes with a "strip your gears" powerhouse ending !

There is also some x rated language which, somewhat surprisingly at the time, had not been edited out of this release which FTD deserves credit for, as it only enhances the being there at the session feeling. As with all the FTD releases the disc comes housed in a digipac together with a nice choice of artwork. Details of the band members included inside directly corresponds to the photograph used on the front cover.

This CD might not have been released in the now discontinued "Essential" series, however, if ever the word essential described a CD it is this one. This is not only one of the finest FTD releases but for me, one of the most enjoyable Elvis CD releases to date.

Highly recommended !

(adapted from an overview I originally wrote at the time of this discs initial release)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASHVILLE 1970 Studio B - THE SESSIONS

June 4 - Twenty Days And Twenty Nights : I've Lost You : I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago : The Sound Of Your Cry : The Fool : A Hundred Years From Now : Little Cabin On The Hill : Cindy, Cindy

June 5 - Bridge Over Troubled Water : Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands Off Of It : How The Web Was Woven : It's Your Baby, You Rock It : Stranger In The Crowd : I'll Never Know : Mary In The Morning

June 6 - I Didn't Make It On Playing Guitar : It Ain't No Big Thing (But It's Growing) : You Don't Have To Say You Love Me : Just Pretend : This Is Our Dance : Life : Heart Of Rome

June 7 - When I'm Over You : I Really Don't Want To Know : Faded Love : Tomorrow Never Comes : The Next Step Is Love : Make The World Go Away : Funny How Time Slips Away : I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water : Love Letters

June 8 - There Goes My Everything : If I Were You : Only Believe : Sylvia : Patch It Up

September 22 - Snowbird : Where Did They Go, Lord : Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On : Rags To Riches