PDA

View Full Version : What is the most "bizar" book you have of Elvis?

ComeBackChick
11-21-2005, 08:07 PM
What do you consider the most "bizar" book you own regarding Elvis?

Mine would be Priscilla, Elvis and Me, by Mike Edwards! :secret:

orwell1976
11-22-2005, 10:44 AM
It's definitely Albert Goldman's "Elvis". I (mostly) agree about his judgement of Elvis personality, but his stories are a complete fabrication. Things that happend only once or twice become regular happenings, he puts things together that happened in different years and he discribes negative things on a lot of pages and other things, that don't fit into his view of the king, are told in a few words.

If you know a lot about Elvis his book is funny to read, but if you have not too much knowledge of the life of Elvis, you'll get a completely wrong impression of our man.

Journalism means something different to me.

:hmm:

boogie
11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
It's definitely Albert Goldman's "Elvis". I (mostly) agree about his judgement of Elvis personality, but his stories are a complete fabrication. Things that happend only once or twice become regular happenings, he puts things together that happened in different years and he discribes negative things on a lot of pages and other things, that don't fit into his view of the king, are told in a few words.

If you know a lot about Elvis his book is funny to read, but if you have not too much knowledge of the life of Elvis, you'll get a completely wrong impression of our man.

Indeed, this one is the most bizar book i've ever read....(n)

joanne
11-22-2005, 03:38 PM

:hmm:You wanna make your mind up.

mistymorning
11-24-2005, 02:55 PM
What do you consider the most "bizar" book you own regarding Elvis?

Mine would be Priscilla, Elvis and Me, by Mike Edwards! :secret:
Can you please explain more about this book?! what the guy is trying to tell about Elvis in this book?!
It seems that even Cilla,s boyfriends find elvis a good gold pot!
The most bizar book I own (which is a present from a friend) is "what happened elvis"

geordie
11-24-2005, 11:08 PM
mine has to be ELVIS PRESLEY SPEAKS( dont ask ):blush:
this book was by someone called HANS HOLZER.and was suposed to be about elvis speaking from beyond the grave ( i was very young when i bought it:blush: )
in my defence i only read about half of it before throwing it in the cupbourd:doh:

Elvos
11-24-2005, 11:31 PM
mine is :Is Elvis Alive ? by grail brewer giorio armani or somthing:banned: ...with the cassete tape also beyond the grave recordings but alive...?;-) Iwas young then too....:-)

:stupid:

elvisdownunder
11-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Elvis: WHAT HAPPENED. this book is so strange to read, and the emphasis is made worse by E's 3 ex bodyguards swearing and ravin on in a very unprofessional manner

orwell1976
11-25-2005, 06:59 AM
ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED is really strange. Although you can't say that anyone is lying in the book. The stories (I believe that they are true) are just made up, that they appear to be more strange, more ill and more horrible than they might have been in reality. And it's just a compilation of bad stories, the many good ones are set aside completely. I guess if you really try, you can write a book about everybody, compile the bad episodes of ones live and let that person look like a asshole or a complete ***** (it depends on the taste of the writer). It's the same Goldman did with Elvis and later with John Lennon. Just say "I want to make that man look like a fool" and then search for stories that make that person look that way. It works!

ALWAYS_ELVISONMYMIND
11-25-2005, 07:06 AM
ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED is really strange. Although you can't say that anyone is lying in the book. The stories (I believe that they are true) are just made up, that they appear to be more strange, more ill and more horrible than they might have been in reality. And it's just a compilation of bad stories, the many good ones are set aside completely. I guess if you really try, you can write a book about everybody, compile the bad episodes of ones live and let that person look like a asshole or a complete ***** (it depends on the taste of the writer). It's the same Goldman did with Elvis and later with John Lennon. Just say "I want to make that man look like a fool" and then search for stories that make that person look that way. It works!

I?m now reading ELVIS AND THE MEMPHIS MAFFIA by Alanna Nash with Billy Smith, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike. I know these guys were there for most of Elvis? life, but reading it, it looks like ANY day in the 1970?s Elvis wasn?t normal anymore. Its all pills, pills, girls and fights. A bit sensational, i think! Anyone else read this book??:hmm:

orwell1976
11-25-2005, 07:34 AM
I have not read it, but it's not unbelievable. After his legendary "Elvis Summer Festival 1970" Elvis got more and more into his pills and started to use the heavy stuff two years later. I won't say, that there were no periods where his life wasn't like it used to be, but I think that Elvis never got really on his feet again.

ALWAYS_ELVISONMYMIND
11-25-2005, 07:55 AM
I have not read it, but it's not unbelievable. After his legendary "Elvis Summer Festival 1970" Elvis got more and more into his pills and started to use the heavy stuff two years later. I won't say, that there were no periods where his life wasn't like it used to be, but I think that Elvis never got really on his feet again.
I know Orwell, i guess yo? are right. But if you get a change, please read the book and you know what i mean. What ?friends? are they, when they are telling stories about Elvis kissing Lisa goodnight and that his penis fell out of his pyamas. Those lousy motherf.....!!!! If its true, you don?t write it in a book, it?s a private manner!!:mad:

orwell1976
11-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Who needs enemies when you have friends like that......

:doh:

joanne
11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Can you please explain more about this book?! what the guy is trying to tell about Elvis in this book?!
It seems that even Cilla,s boyfriends find elvis a good gold pot!
The most bizar book I own (which is a present from a friend) is "what happened elvis"I read the Mike Edwards book years ago and he obviously tried to cash in by using Elvis`s name in the title even though he came into Priscilla`s life after Elvis had died.
In my opinion he wasn`t attractive but neither were any of her boyfriends except for Elvis.
He was a model/actor I believe and I think he met her in 1978.
He says that Priscilla tried to have sex with him in a bathroom but he was too drunk but after that they had sex all over the house on the dining table etc.
He said that he felt very sorry for Lisa-Marie when Priscilla was doing Dallas because she wasn`t getting enough attention, the housekeepers were looking after her.
He said that one day he made Lisa up with some make-up on and she looked lovely but Priscilla came home and screamed at her to take it off and he said that she was threatened and jealous of her daughter.
He also recounts a time when she slapped Lisa across the face.
He did admit to having feelings for Lisa-Marie which are obviously wrong as he was a parental figure.
Priscilla had told him that she would use the Presley name to get a career but would drop it when she became successful.
He stated that in all the years together he never once saw her cry.
During their relationship she had affairs with Julio Iglesius and Richard Gere (one-night stand).
There was an occasion when Mike Stone had called at the house but she went out to the gate to talk to him and he wondered if that will happen to him being shut out of her life when she moved on.
She got pregnant with his baby but she didn`t want it so she had an abortion which caused strain in the relationship.
It ended when she started an affair with Marco Garibaldi in about 85/86 and he suspected she was having an affair when he looked at the mileage in her car.
He said that he had seen her change from the woman she was when he met her, she had become very assertive and sexually domineering.
She threw him out and moved in Marco and very soon after she became pregnant but decided to keep this one and the rest is history or maybe not...

bogarcon
11-25-2005, 02:52 PM
a very strange book I have in my collection would be the one with the title (very weird);
ELVIS AND THE UFO INCIDENT! Very unusual and very ``fiction`` story..in fact ``fiction`` or reality...have a nice day, bogarcon:!:

ComeBackChick
11-25-2005, 09:56 PM

Joanne explained it good! Here is something from Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly
Edwards, a top model during the '70s, here recounts seven years spent with Elvis Presley's widow, Priscilla, and their only child, Lisa. A checkered career that included four years as a Marine and sudden celebrity as a model preceded his involvement with Priscilla. Their grand passion and the abortion of their child are recounted in juicy, true-romance stylesome of it unintentionally funny. The relationship was haunted and eventually destroyed by the dead singer's ever-present spirit and the author's efforts to take Elvis's place at the price of his own identity, according to Edwards. His drinking, womanizing, growing attraction to teenager Lisa and Pricilla's increasing assertiveness and budding career as a TV actress further estranged the pair and ultimately led to their final break-up. Photos.
Copyright 1988 Reed Business Information, Inc.]

joanne
11-26-2005, 02:10 PM
I don`t think that Elvis was a factor in the break-up though I think his name was perhaps brought into it because he wanted to sell more books.

mistymorning
11-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Joanne & comebackchick
Thanks alot for your really interesting and wholesome information about the book.It seems that Cilla has got a special talent for finding ugly,weird,and bizar boy friends!(of course she deseves it!) How can she let her teenage daughter be treated like this by her boy friend? sometimes you can see her true nature in these books! you shouldn,t be decieved by that innocent gentle look!

ComeBackChick
11-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Joanne & comebackchick
Thanks alot for your really interesting and wholesome information about the book.It seems that Cilla has got a special talent for finding ugly,weird,and bizar boy friends!(of course she deseves it!) How can she let her teenage daughter be treated like this by her boy friend? sometimes you can see her true nature in these books! you shouldn,t be decieved by that innocent gentle look!

Well, to me she is just a woman like anybody else who has made her share of mistakes like we all have!!!! Don't like her any less, makes her human. Also this Mike Edwards guy doesn't really seem like a bad person, he recognized his feelings for LM were wrong, he never acted on them and eventually he left.

Wish I could see things in black and white like you, would make my life a whole lot easier, thats for sure!!!

joanne
11-27-2005, 09:05 PM
I just don`t get how you can go from Elvis to these guys it doesn`t make sense I`d rather do without.

Trelane P
02-01-2006, 02:01 PM
This book has to have one of the strangest titles:

Lose Weight Through Great Sex with Celebrities! (the Elvis Way)

byColin McEnroe

imelvis
02-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I read the book Elvis and Memphis Mafia......and i LIKED it. Yes, some details may be a little stretched.....but do we REALLY know the truth about the habits of Elvis in the 70's?? We like to protect our Elvis image......but we can't deny that he was messed up throughout those years. They might publicize a little too much in some books, but this is not one of them.

KPM
02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Elvis was really messed up from about mid 73 to his death about 4 years. He lived 42 years. The degree of "messed up and why" is debatable. IMO

tjs
02-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Over the years, like everyone here I'm sure, I've given elvis's life a lot of thought.

I worked in the field of addictions for the last 20 years and I've gained insight into what people who get addicted are like...to some degree.

People who get addicted have mood swings, they're prone to depression and anxiety and tend to be self absorbed. They don't totally lose themselves, nor do they turn into monsters or non feeling drones.

Their lives deteriorate but not all at once and not all the time. The fact that Elvis continued to tour and record indicates he had a good portion of his life together. Sure, he was under the influence but his main drugs of abuse were drugs that cause tolerance. That menas that over time the drugs have less effect and the user needs to take more to get the same effect. They also need to take the drugs they're addicted to on a daily basis. I'm guessing that even in the the 70's Elvis had lots of "regular' moments even when under the influence. He probably also had moments when he was intoxicated from whatever he was taking.

Could the bizarre things that Goldman and Dunleavy have written about happened. It's possible but to the degree they sensationalized I doubt.

There's no question that Elvis was addicted but that doesn't change much in my eyes. Had Elvis made a few more years when getting into recovery was common and seen as a right of passage he probably would've conquered it. In a sense Elvis may have sped the recovery of other prescription addicts by being an example of what was in store for them.

Given the life Elvis had, what he had been through and what he was equipped to deal with considering how he grew up--it's not hard to see why he'd feel the need to medicate himself. People who have a whole let less going on in their lives turn to some pharmaceutical assistance.

Sorry to go on so long...

KPM
02-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I agree with you, nice post.

polksaladhasie
02-21-2006, 02:44 PM

Right, this is the strangest book I?ve ever read (n) :angry: (n) I bought it years ago, read it and was really shocked. (n)

The Book Elvis and the Memphis Mafia is very interesting :hmm: I think I?ll should get it...

Maxim
02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Did anybody read Lucy de Barbin's book "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"? In Russia most fans consider it is a rubbish, but some think that the story told in this book is true. What do you think abut it?

8mmlowa
03-06-2006, 11:00 PM
revelations of the memphis mafia
and the second guralnik book

the first one was great!

joanne
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Over the years, like everyone here I'm sure, I've given elvis's life a lot of thought.

I worked in the field of addictions for the last 20 years and I've gained insight into what people who get addicted are like...to some degree.

People who get addicted have mood swings, they're prone to depression and anxiety and tend to be self absorbed. They don't totally lose themselves, nor do they turn into monsters or non feeling drones.

Their lives deteriorate but not all at once and not all the time. The fact that Elvis continued to tour and record indicates he had a good portion of his life together. Sure, he was under the influence but his main drugs of abuse were drugs that cause tolerance. That menas that over time the drugs have less effect and the user needs to take more to get the same effect. They also need to take the drugs they're addicted to on a daily basis. I'm guessing that even in the the 70's Elvis had lots of "regular' moments even when under the influence. He probably also had moments when he was intoxicated from whatever he was taking.

Could the bizarre things that Goldman and Dunleavy have written about happened. It's possible but to the degree they sensationalized I doubt.

There's no question that Elvis was addicted but that doesn't change much in my eyes. Had Elvis made a few more years when getting into recovery was common and seen as a right of passage he probably would've conquered it. In a sense Elvis may have sped the recovery of other prescription addicts by being an example of what was in store for them.

Given the life Elvis had, what he had been through and what he was equipped to deal with considering how he grew up--it's not hard to see why he'd feel the need to medicate himself. People who have a whole let less going on in their lives turn to some pharmaceutical assistance.

Sorry to go on so long...What a lovely post, beautifully said.

dannyboy1
03-07-2006, 02:41 AM
I think you mean the word "bizarre".

Years ago I read two of Larry Gellar's books, and man are they weird!!!

I'm pretty sure one was called "The Truth About Elvis", and it had Elvis with the power of healing, able to move clouds, etc...

Back away slowly, don't make eye contact...

donnamcbeth
03-07-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm sure I'll take a lot of slamming for this but I believe what was said because Elvis did try to hide a lot of what was truly going on, and for good reason. He had a daughter to protect. He was raised around a lot of alcohol abuse and it's only natural that he'd find some way of getting "away" from all the pressures of his life. Col. Parker didn't help by always pushing him so hard that he felt he HAD to constantly perform and keep up this perfect image. God bless him for lasting as long as he did. No one else had ever been that famous or "successful" so he had no one to get advice on as to how to deal with all of it.

It makes you wish there was something someone could have done but he was like all southern men, hard-headed LOL. Anyway, that's just my opinion and I love Elvis regardless of anything he did in his lifetime. I'll always have the utmost respect for him.

Thanks,

Donna in Louisiana

P.S. Annie
03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Great thread!!

Very interesting posting TJS(y)

I have much of those books mentioned, but not read them yet:blush: So maybe I will pick up this thread in lets say about a year:lmfao: