PDA

View Full Version : Aloha special

cutiepie
11-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Good evening!

I'm sure this has been dicussed many times before...but I just had to write. I watched the Aloha special--only 1 chapter so far--the original broadcast concert. I swear I don't even recognize Elvis! He looks so sad--like he'd forgotten how to smile. There were a few flashes here and there, but generally, Elvis looked as if he were trying to force out whatever enthusiasm he was supposed to have, but wasn't there...although "Fever" was very cute!

I compared "Suspicious Minds" to TTWII, and I'm shocked at how much Elvis had changed in the 2 or 3 years between the two concerts. He seemed genuinely unhappy, and it breaks my heart.

I don't mean to offend, but if Elvis was a woman, I would swear he had a bad case of PMS! :'(

Could this really have been the aftermath of Priscilla??!

I would like to hear your thoughts!

orwell1976
11-17-2005, 07:43 AM
To me the Aloha-Elvis looks like a shell. I mean, his body looks like it is supposed to look. He is lean, nicely tanned, his hair is done great and he looks just stunning in his eagle jumpsuit. BUT the real Elvis is missing. He seems to have no more power (just look at his movements) and he seems to have lost the fun. But neverthenless he gave great performances of I'LL REMEMBER YOU, IT'S OVER, I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY, AN AMERICAN TRILOGY and others. But his best performances during that show were sad ballads about lost love and lonelyness. I think Elvis was a lot better during the next year. He may have gained a few pounds, but his performances where a lot better (just compare "Elvis As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" and "Aloha From Hawaii").

cutiepie
11-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Thank you for your thoughts! :)

I watched part of the rehersal concert, and Elvis had a lot more energy--maybe he was tense, since he was being beamed around the world....

Tommy
11-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Elvis was very nervous about the Aloha being world wide. I love the rehearsals show.

Gertepet
11-17-2005, 06:26 PM
I must agree with you Cutiepie. What you mention has always kept me busy; I miss the sparkle in his eyes!

I also compared TTWII with Aloha and those are two different performers. The energy and enthousiasm of 1969-1970 is so.............GREAT!

And when people say he's concentrated or nervous, they tend to forget that this was a man who'd done al these performances in the 50's, all the
tv-shows (which was really new at that time), the CBS special, back to the stage in Vegas, Houston Astrodome, MSG '72...the six sold out tours till januari 1973........he was a very very very experienced superstar, yet a little humble and common.......

When you take a good look at the EOT movie, you see the same depressed Elvis, also little sparkle, though still very energetic. But the Elvis in TTWII is my favorite!

In my opinion this self destructive ELvis starts of in 1971........

EnigmaticSun
11-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, it may be true that the estate wants us to think that Elvis' death followed immediately after the Aloha special!

I still find the Aloha special to be interesting. No should-haves are necessary for me!

I think it's kind of short-sighted to say that Elvis problems suddenly started in 1971. A lot of different circumstances contributed to Elvis' trouble, they did not just start simultaneously in the same year...

KPM
11-17-2005, 08:58 PM
I think you're overlooking another big problem-boredom. He had been touring for over 3 years and the newness he had felt had worn off. Also he knew he could twirl his little finger and people went wild. In 69-71 he was working harder to get that reaction-because he worried he would not get it. In other words he had conquered his audience and it had become easy. Add the divorce and no world tour(satellite show instead) thats why he looks(at times)down.IMO

EnigmaticSun
11-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I think you've got a point there, KPM. It is true that EP was being kept away from creative challenges. And when he tried to bring a change to the act, the Vegas audience wouldn't respond..

Joe Car
11-17-2005, 10:59 PM
He put on a singing clinic for the Aloha. I also believe his pending divorce played heavily on his mind and thus the outstanding and emotional performances of his ballads, especially What Now My Love which was brilliant.
I do however think trying to compare the Aloha to TTWII is a little unfair given the circumstances were different.

THENATUREBOY
11-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I dont see anything wrong with the Aloha special. Yes when I first watched it, I was expecting more movement, excitement, etc; But when I saw some interviews about the show it helped me understand the performance more. Elvis was definitely nervous, very understandable, this concert was going out live around the world, not just in front of a few thousand fans in Las Vegas. I think this is why there is such a big difference between the TTWII and the Aloha concert. EP just wanted to put on a great straight forward performance, which is exactly what he did. If he did anything that night, he showed us and everyone that he was "The King" by just standing there and captivating a billion people with his voice, not any dance moves or silly stuff.

And for those who said he his nerves didnt have anything to do with it, Elvis himself said that he got nervous everytime he got on stage and that he never did quite get over stage fright. So just imagine that and the magnitude of the show that he was putting on. Im sure the divorce and all that was on his mind, but that only drove him to deliver the masterpieces like "Ill Remember You" and "You Gave Me A Mountain".

cutiepie
11-18-2005, 04:17 AM
I do hope that this doesn't come across as offensive, but in Aloha, Elvis looked just plain beat. He tried--really tried, to make it work, but it seems as if his spirit just got knocked out of him.

I've seen that look before--I volunteer at an animal shelter, taking care of cats (though I'm moving into dogs...slowly!). There is a "look" in the eyes of a cat who has been abused, and has no hope left. Volunteers try to nurse these cats back to mental health, but often it's too late, and they get put down if they turn vicious. Mostly this is due to abuse by humans...

In Aloha, Elvis has a hint of that look. I think that is what really stood out and bothered me--I couldn't put my finger on it at the time...it makes me so sad, but I love him even more now!:'(

boogie
11-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Just one thing I can say about Aloha,
It had to be perfect, so E was focused on that, and was over concentrated to do that "perfect" show...Think this is the reason of his beheavier...maybe his private life wasn't that good at the time, but i think he was professional enough to put it beside when he started a worldwide tv-special....
There's a big difference between a vegas show(ttwii) and this one..
Let's say, our man did a milestone in music history:notworthy