PDA

View Full Version : Why Elvis

Tommy
10-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Hello Everybody,

How did you first start to become interested in Elvis? What made you an Elvis fan?

Tommy :)

Gertepet
10-30-2005, 06:00 PM
I guess I was about 7 years old. During the holidays there were a lot of Elvis movies on the German television (I'm from Holland, but we also see a lot of German tv...). Almost every day he was on....

I got interested (not in the movies...most of them suck...), but in the person. Who was he, what did he do, was he alive, dead? A few years later I saw That's the way it is and On Tour on tv. That was a totally different guy then the moviestar I first ''encountered".

At first I liked his early work (got that from old LP's which I borrowed from sisters and mothers of friends of mine..). I remember I once got a tape with some early work, but also some of his fantastic 1970 studio recordings! That was the real turning point!

But when I was about 18 years old Elvis was a bit forgotten by me......some things were more important. Around that time I got interested in other artists/groups.

About 5 years ago I saw the Special Edition of TTWII for sale. I thought; let's buy it, let's see how it is. Well, since I first saw it I was totaly into Elvis again!!!

Since that day I collected all of his records, most of his live performances just name a song, outtake or performance and I have it.

The early seventies and 1969 are my favorite period when it's about studio recording sessions.

Live he was at his best in 69-70, june 1972, march 1974, summer of 1975 and december 1976.

Well, that's my story!

Tommy
10-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Thank you Gertepet,

How interesting that you were only 7 years old to start with. I saw Elvis for the first time on TV when I was about 11 years old. He was on the Dorsey Brother's Show and I thought to myself, who is that! What a funny name Elvis, I kept thinking to myself I had to remember that name. Just in case I saw him again and did we all ever see him again!! That was it for me. Loved his music from the beginning. He was so different, nothing like him anywhere to be seen back then. His style of clothes, his hair, his voice and the way he moved on stage was electrifying. His manner and southern accent was so different from anything or anybody in the music business.

The radio staton's would play Hound Dog over and over when it first came out. I can remember it being played on this one station about 50 times in a row. It was a good and crazy time for us young guys and gals. A WOW time.

THENATUREBOY
10-30-2005, 07:07 PM
As far back as I can remeber my mom was always playing Elvis records, and every time I heard "Hound Dog", "Dont Be Cruel", or those 50's songs I loved them, and would dance and try to sing along as a little kid.

So as I was growing up I casually listened to him but nothing more than that. But when I was about 19 I was in Wal-Mart one day and saw the 'Aloha From Hawaii' special and was like I wonder what he was like in concert. So I bought the dvd and absolutely loved the concert. I loved everything about him and I thought he was the coolest dude Id ever saw in my life. So that concert showed me why they called him the "King" and why he is the greatest entertainer ever.

After that I went out and bought every cd and concert dvd I could find of him. And every since then I have listened to him every single day.

Diane
10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
The first time I was aware of Elvis was when I was 10 years old and heard him sing on the radio. He was so different than anyone else that I took notice and loved his sound. Shortly afterwards I saw a picture of him in the weekend edition of my father's Sunday paper and cut it out not quite knowing at that age why I found him so interesting. I still have that picture in a scrapbook.

A couple of years later my cousin from New York city called to warn my Mother not to let me buy his records as she was like so many that felt he was a bad influence on the young. Previously to the phone call I had already bought my first 45 record by him, it was Jailhouse Rock. I didn't even have a decent record player at the time so I went to my aunt's to play it. When she realized who it was she said I wasn't allowed to play it in her house. So back I went to listen to it again on my inferior little kid's record player. When I told my Mother what had happened she just smiled and said she really didn't see anything wrong with him and it was alright to play my record at home. She paid no attention to the later phone call. Bless you Mom for understanding!

In later years with a good supply of 45's and LPM's AND a great stereo record player for the times, my Mother came into the living room where I was listening to "It's Now or Never" and said "Is that Elvis? He really can sing!" Or course I very smugly said "Told you so!"

As a teenager I went to see his first three movies and then after I was married and raising our two children I kind of lost touch with the movie and music world but I did catch his '68 Special when it aired on TV and was so proud of him for making the comeback. And then in 1971 or 1972 my husband and I saw him in concert for the first time and that started me up all over again. I began to buy all the LPM's I could find on the market from then on. I now have quite a collection of VHS's, DVD's and CD's. And that's my story.......

goodniteliz
10-31-2005, 01:54 AM
I believe I am an Elvis fan today because of my great aunt, who has always been a huge fan. I can remember as a child going to her house and I always remembered this picture of an airplane that she had.. for some reason, that was all I remembered. I really became a true fan around 1996... I was 12, and I thought he was the best thing ever (still do :) ) but anyway... I went back to my aunt's house one day when I noticed that the picture of the plane was a picture of Elvis' plane, the Lisa Marie. My parents have always joked that I was "subliminally brainwashed" by my aunt into becoming a fan... whatever the case, I'm glad it worked.... I have collected everything I see with Elvis on it or related to Elvis since I was 12. I can't really explain my attraction to him- I see him as a very complicated person, and I think this is what makes him so attractive to so many others as well.... he's amazing not only for his incredible talent, but for his persona, which has endured since his death and I am sure it will endure for years to come.

Tommy
10-31-2005, 04:29 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful and interesting stories!!(y) :clap:

elvisdownunder
10-31-2005, 05:01 AM
i love sharing this story
it was 2002, i was 12 years old, and number 1 hits came out, massive success as we all know. my mum bought it in town, i'd got home from school, and i'd heard 'crying in the chapel', then 'in the ghetto', then 'suspicious minds', and i thought about how much depth, emotion, soul was put in to those songs. soon i found my self getting the whole cd in my room on my cd player, when i first played 'heartbreak hotel', it was like nothing i'd heard before. it was a strange sensation. i played each song, and got to love him more and more

thanks to Elvis and his songs i sung, i'm getting a great start in what i hope is a singing career. he also taught me showmanship, and inspired me to play guitar. Elvis is a huge part of my life, and i'll always be thankful to him and his music. if on;ly people realised how good he was:notworthy

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-31-2005, 05:23 AM
It's hard for me to remember the first time, but my Mom was a huge fan, so we had records in the house and I would listen to them over and over and pretend to be him, dancing and singing.
One of the first songs I ever remember singing was "How Great Thou Art" which we sang in church all the time, but we had an Elvis record with that on it, and I was so proud, and nervous, to sing this song in Elvis style, to my grandmother. I remember practicing it in the back seat of our car all the way to her house and making her sit down while I performed it for her.
Pretty much all my earliest memories involve Elvis. I loved his movies and live shows they would show on TV. I remember the excitement and anticipation of the first ever showing of "Aloha" on TV. I had to have the record immediately and I played it until the needle wore out.
My cousin and I would have contests impersonating Elvis and his sister would judge. She always said I sounded like him best, and my cousin moved and looked like him best (very diplomatic for a kid)
I was 9 years old when my dad met him. My Mom saw him in 1975 and my dad, brother and I saw him in 1976. My parents divorced in 1975 and alot of Elvis' songs helped me deal with that. ( I would listen to "My Boy" and "Seperate WAys" and cry my eyes out. I thought I could feel every word.
I have been a fan all my life, and now my small children love him too. My 3 year old daughter's favorite song is "Teddy Bear" and my 2year old son will listen to the "opening vamp/CC rider" song over and over and dance and sing. Very cute.

boogie
10-31-2005, 01:04 PM
What i can remember is the day he died, i was only 6...my uncle was a big fan and he passes by my parents home crying, still remember this, ..;but the most unbelieveble thing when i was young was this; a couple years ago my mother showed me a picture of my birthday, sitting in front of my cake, wearing a sweater with batches of Elvis, and you know , there were 4 candles on the cake...(Yes i was 4 at that moment)....and i know my first LP was "Aloha from Hawaii"..from then on i started become an fan....and now i know it will be the rest of my life...
Thanks Elvis for being a part of my life:notworthy

Tommy
10-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Thank you all, such touching and wonderful stories. :clap:

Leroy
11-01-2005, 01:04 PM
It was 1971. I was 10 years old and living in Amsterdam. The movie "Elvis-That's The Way It Is" premiered and I went to see it. It was a sneaky think because my father hated everything Elvis stood for. Only my mom knew I went. That day in the theater I became a fan. Eventualy after my mom died (1973) my father became aware of my love for Elvis and that was the beginning of a strained relationship for everytime I did something foolish (like most uprgrowing kids do) Elvis was to blame. I never forget my father's smiling face when he informed me about Elvis death. I already knew. I was in the service and on the night of the 16th the watch commander woke me up to break the news. It was a devastating time.
After my mom died being an Elvis fan helped me to cope with it. Playing Elvis records gave me comfort, it still does. He was and is an important influence in my life. Raeding the spiritual books he read helped me to find myself. It stretches too far to say Elvis raised me up but being an Elvis fan surely helped a lot.

Wendy56
11-02-2005, 06:33 AM
I grew up with my grandparents... They're rock'n'rollers and lived part of "Elvis-phenomenon" here in México (60s)... ;) They told me many stories about all that.
Back to the 90s, R&R had a "boom" in my country: it was on TV and radio. The Elvis serie (with Michael St. Gerard) was being broadcasted
I can remember the very first time I saw Elvis' face. Fell in love with those eyes and beautiful smile (though I was 5 or 6 years old :P). And after hearing his soft voice, my heart was captured.
Loved "king's" music. But was until two years later when I started to do a little research about him (and began to collect some treasures too).
I have so many motives for being an Elvis fan. He has been with me all these 15 years. He's my partner, my friend, and my confident... I love him so much.

tjs
11-02-2005, 03:48 PM
I remember it was shortly after he died.

CBS aired the special and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about the guy. Backstage he looked bloated and I thought...Geez--what's the big deal...

Then he walked on stage and the flashbulbs went...then Teddybear/Don't Be Cruel and the scarves...and I thought I've never seen anything like this. The charisma, the magnetism...the I don't know what.

To this day I've come to learn you either get it or you don't--and if you don't get Elvis then I don't ever completely understand you or for that matter trust you.

If you have to explain the beauty in a sunset the person will never get it.

Tommy
11-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I have to tell you all, you are really touching Elvis' heart with these wonderful and heartfelt, deeply moving reasons you became a FAN! :notworthy I can see and understand a bit as to why Elvis was so moved by his fans. I can't imagine though just how he must have felt inside everytime he got up on that stage or went down to the gates at Graceland. You know that smile he would get sometimes on stage, that tells a lot about how he loved everybody!

orwell1976
11-04-2005, 12:48 PM
When I was around the age of seven I heard an Elvis song on the radio. I liked it that much, that I wanted to have Elvis records for my next birthday and from then on I was a fan. Until now I have not heard any singer sing with that much soul and putting that much emotion into his performances. Elvis was the greatest and most entertaining live act I have seen so far. I just love his voice and the way he presented himself.

:cool:

amzietamzie
11-27-2005, 09:01 PM
i became an elvis fan in januray. they were re-releasing elvis songs on the charts and my mum, who was a vague elvis fan, loves heartbreak hotel. she asked me to download it for her. i literally fell in love!! then i downloaded loads and loads and now he's taken over my life! but... when i was about 11 i couldn't sleep so went downstairs to find my mum watching elvis the 68 comeback special (was on late at night on the tv). i really liked him and stayed up for ages watching that. so really i king of re-discovered him in januray. strange how in such a small amount of time you can become completely taken over by elvis... he's the greatest entertainer that ever lived. i am so born in the wrong generation...

elvisdownunder
11-28-2005, 05:15 AM
what generation? how old are u?

i'm 15, so i should really have been born back in the 50s, i sorta wish i was now;)

amzietamzie
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
im nearly 17. it just drives me mad how rubbish the music is now. wish i was born in a previous generation. id love to have been born in the 50s.

elvisdownunder
11-29-2005, 07:49 AM
same here. music ain't got the same feeling in the 60s and to the 80s as well. whats wrong with people?!