PDA

View Full Version : Elvis At The End

THENATUREBOY
10-28-2005, 03:35 AM
Everybody has heard the saying "hindsight is 20/20", and looking back to Elvis in the final couple years of his life and especially the CBS special we can all see that Elvis was definitely dying and was in very bad shape.

When I talk to people who were alive when Elvis died, they always say that they were totally shocked when they heard the news of his passing.

So I wonder if the people/fans that saw him during that last 2 years of his realized he was in such the shape that he was?

carolynlm
10-28-2005, 06:55 AM
I think people living in the US saw more of the decline than the overseas fans. But it really wasn't a decline as such. Elvis performed some great concerts in the latter part of his career. Once I can remember seeing a news item where they showed the 'blacked' out window of the BMH and they said Elvis had been admitted for eye trouble....we didn't ever really hear of anything else other than that.
When he passed away, I think the overseas fans were more shocked (if that's possible) than the fans in the US....not for any other reason than we didn't see him perform so we were not as aware that there was something not quite right. I know that it took me a very long time, and I'm talking years here, to accept that he was dead....

amzietamzie
11-27-2005, 09:13 PM
i always find it very sad watching him sing unchained melody and are you lonesome tonight on the cbs special in the june of 1977... you can see his decline and it always makes me cry... but i think at the time it would be hard to judge. for a start it was such a gradual change- his putting on weight spanned something like 6 or 7 years. in the aloha from hawaii special, he was obviously worse than he was in that's the way it is but he is nothing compared to what he was like in 1977. to me, though, when you watch and listen to him in 77 it is still elvis and he still has an amazing voice, lovely face and wonderful personality. he's amazing anyway...

orwell1976
11-29-2005, 08:41 AM
It was obvious, that Elvis had more than just a problem. But he was so was that good, that even a bad Elvis performed a lot better than most of the so called stars do on their best day.

EnigmaticSun
12-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Well, it's just true that Kings suffer too.

The Elvis of '77 still had it.. the vibe and youthful vigor; his voice was great.

He wasn't even th?t overweight.. think about Pavarotti, for example..

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-01-2005, 08:53 PM
He wasn't even th?t overweight.. think about Pavarotti, for example..

The weight has never been the issue for me, although this was not really his natural state, for years he may have dieted and in the end he could not maintain the regim. Back to the weight Issue, it wasn't the weight that shocked me when I saw the CBS Special, he just looked ill, to be perfectly honest he looked quite ill from mid 1976 on and off until 1977.

JJ

RS277
12-01-2005, 10:35 PM
I stood several feet from Elvis in May of 1977 backstage at the Philadelphia Spectrum. I hadn't seem him in person since 1974 and was shocked. He still was more handsome than 10 movie stars, but I must admit he looked bad. His face was bloated and he looked clammy. The concert was great but his movements were subdued and some seemed ackward. His voice however was strong as ever. We here in the states never saw his death coming either. I was just as much in denial as every other fan. I was only a teenager. We all believed Elvis was imortal, almost God like. And we all know God's never die, do they? Well, theres been contenders and theres been pretenders, but theres only one King. Long may he reign. :king:

amzietamzie
12-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, theres been contenders and theres been pretenders, but theres only one King. Long may he reign. :king:

well said...

THENATUREBOY
12-02-2005, 12:52 AM
I stood several feet from Elvis in May of 1977 backstage at the Philadelphia Spectrum. I hadn't seem him in person since 1974 and was shocked. He still was more handsome than 10 movie stars, but I must admit he looked bad. His face was bloated and he looked clammy. The concert was great but his movements were subdued and some seemed ackward. His voice however was strong as ever. We here in the states never saw his death coming either. I was just as much in denial as every other fan. I was only a teenager. We are believed Elvis was imortal, almost God like. And we all know God's never die, do they? Well, theres been contenders and theres been pretenders, but theres only one King. Long may he reign. :king:

awesome post. i love hearing personal experiences from the people who was there. thanks alot!

joanne
12-02-2005, 01:54 AM
I don`t get it when people say he was obese at the end I just don`t see it. I`m not looking at him through rose coloured glasses either I`m just stating the facts.
There is no doubt that Elvis was overweight at the end but not extremely and in no way obese. I`ve seen obesity on Jerry Springer etc and these are people that can`t go out of their house because they are so big they can hardly do anything because their size prevents them.
Also of course wearing jumpsuits aren`t the most flattering outfits for anyone to wear they don`t exactly slim you down.

EnigmaticSun
12-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Oh hi Joanne! I hope you did receive my private message about Billy Gilman..?

Anyway, I think you're right about Elvis. He was a bit overweight, but in no way obese (compare him to those Jerry Springer-people!)...

It's also very nice to hear from a person who has actually seen Elvis live. It was not hard to see that Elvis was suffering - he had a lot of problems with his health and although not everything is visible on the surface, trouble may be reigning underneath. Anyway you look at it, his voice was great and it was fit for opera.

I do think that in his time and place Elvis was the King indeed. He was also very humble and I know that he saw Jesus Christ as his King and Saviour.

In fact, Gods do never die. One thing that Jesus has taught me is that there is life eternal in the Kingdom of God and we will be there. Elvis is not physically walking around on mother earth right now, but he is active and alive in Heaven with God!

orwell1976
12-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Face it! Elvis had a drug problem for almost 17 years and in the end you could see it! A healthy looking 42 year old guy looks a lot different than Elvis did! He definitely had health problems but most of them came from his drug abuse. To me Elvis was the greatest entertainer the world has ever seen, but in his private life he failed all the way through!

:hmm:

joanne
12-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Face it! Elvis had a drug problem for almost 17 years and in the end you could see it! A healthy looking 42 year old guy looks a lot different than Elvis did! He definitely had health problems but most of them came from his drug abuse. To me Elvis was the greatest entertainer the world has ever seen, but in his private life he failed all the way through!

:hmm:He failed the moment he met that witch in Germany.

KPM
12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Elvis had a geneaology which was not in his favor, heart disease, liver problems and his familys history of a predalection to addictions of all kinds food, alcohol, drugs ets. On one side of my family it is the same way, suicides and substance abuse which we have found is hereditary because of system imbalances. He can not be blamed for heredity which is passed on very hard to overcome. Because he was ELVIS does not mean superhuman in mind and body. I have fought demons for years and know it is not so cut and dry as some would want to make it. He did his best IMO.

joanne
12-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Elvis had a geneaology which was not in his favor, heart disease, liver problems and his familys history of a predalection to addictions of all kinds food, alcohol, drugs ets. On one side of my family it is the same way, suicides and substance abuse which we have found is hereditary because of system imbalances. He can not be blamed for heredity which is passed on very hard to overcome. Because he was ELVIS does not mean superhuman in mind and body. I have fought demons for years and know it is not so cut and dry and some would wnat to make it. He did his best IMO.At the end of the day he was human and like Linda Thompson once said Elvis was not John Doe and you can`t compare him to John Doe and so you can`t compare him to another human being and say thats what he should or shouldn`t of done, he had unique pressures put upon him and it is wrong to judge.
I don`t think of his life as a failure I see it as a success, he dreamed the american dream and he made it come true and just because it became too much for him doesn`t make him a failure.
He was surrounded by the wrong people and the wrong manager but the one thing he always had was his dignity and no on can ever take that away from him.

EnigmaticSun
12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
That's just beautiful - Elvis had his dignity and nobody took it away from him.

I think that Elvis looked good in the end; his face looked young because his spirit was young. Of course you can say something about his dependance on substances, but face it: it wasn't easy being Elvis Presley and he had something running in the roots which didn't favour growing old with ease.

I think that Elvis looked great - some boys and girls look kind of old when they are in their early 30's because of numbness and bad taste (smoking the wrong kind of tobacco and not being spiritually involved in life). I think that you should take it easy, Orwell1976 - Elvis is a respected musical genius.

Some say it was his heritage, the early death of his mother, Hollywood, Las Vegas, the Colonel and/or Priscilla.. I don't know - the most important thing is that I love Elvis and that he was musically and spiritually involved; his quality is ageless and he brought so much happiness to a crazy world.

Cryogenic
12-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Although you wouldn't mistake the Elvis of 1976/1977 with the Elvis of ten years earlier, I think he generally carried his weight and ill health well. There are some things you just can't hide - but others you can, or at the very least, "smooth out". A little weight on Elvis' frame wasn't a particularly shocking visual; add in a few scarves stuffed down the front of a white jumpsuit and he's suddenly a powerfully built tenor. Visually, at least, things weren't as bad as some have made out. (But then, that's to be expected - it's generally the media that peddles hyperbole; such is the nature of the beast).

That's an extraordinary claim - and extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. When viewed in the proper contexts, I don't think he "failed all the way through" - but there was much he could have done to improve his health and well-being. It's all consigned to history now. (And I'm not talking subjective human history; I'm talking objective cosmological history). As Wordsworth said, "the child is the father of the man": it is in childhood, before his fame had ever hit, that Elvis was shaped into the psychological vessel he was going to be (as we all are). That fate conspired to serve up what it did - the Colonel, Priscilla etc - is not insignificant; but everything was filtered through the person that childhood had shaped. Worth thinking about.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Some excellent comments in the last few posts which I agree with.

I think Elvis was a person who worked better inspired e.g. 1956-58, those early years brought a wealth of energy that was channeled into Movies, songs and T.V. the 60's brought a treadmill of formulaic films which left Elvis uninspired and his weight increased......... along came the 68 Special and wham.... sleek sex god. 1969 great studio recordings which hadn't happened in years, the prospect of going back on the road left him hungry. 1970 brought That's The Way It Is. 1972 brought Elvis On Tour and 1973 the Aloha show. There really isn't much after this to challenge a man who needed to be challenged both mentally and physically.

I think boredom has a great part to play in Elvis' final years.

P.S. I'm not saying that there wasn't any creativity or highlights after 1973 because there were.

Matt

EnigmaticSun
12-07-2005, 12:23 PM
It is true that (especially during some specific periods) Elvis' creative abilities weren't allowed to expand to their fullest extent.

I still do like a lot of the 'in between' period anyhow; for me it is of no use to think about what might have been.

Very important aspect of Elvis' history is: 'being controlled'. I think it's the root problem.

joanne
12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
I would take a guess and say that his problems probably began after his mother died and as everyone knows they were extremely close and I don`t think he ever got over it.
I think that being in the Army when she died he had to carry on all the while dreaming of being home at Graceland and when he finally did arrive back I think the loss hit him hard and the emptiness was overwhelming and the footage of him sat in his fathers office giving the press conference was very revealing as there were moments when he looked so lonely and deep in thought.
The Elvis of the fifties always seemed to be carefree and enjoying life loving every minute but after the Army he was a changed man.
That was when the drugs started and although he had a few guys round him previously he started bringing more into the fold- Joe Esposito, Charlie Hodge, Marty Lacker etc etc.
They put a band aid over the silence and the loneliness and they kept him company when he didn`t want to be alone.
Priscilla arrived when Elvis was at his most vulnerable and unfortunately he succumbed.
Problems began with his career after the Army when Elvis`s creativity was destroyed making worthless movies when Elvis was capable of being one of the greatest actors that ever lived. He wasn`t making the records he wanted either and his manager was holding the reigns.
Look at Elvis in the movie Clambake he is a broken man and he can`t help but show it- He has just been told by the colonel that there will be a wedding to Priscilla and he isn`t ready and he is also having to carry on with these stupid movies until his contract runs out. The colonel has also got rid of his friend Larry Geller the only man that Elvis could really talk to about his innermost feelings as all the guys wanted was to get him as many girls as they could thinking that would make him happy but it didn`t.
The relationship with Priscilla wasn`t working out and Elvis asked for a trial separation then he went back on the road and then she left him for another man. She then rubbed his nose in it by admitting that `Mike Stone is a real man and he never lets me forget that I`m a woman.` His self-confidence and his ego were destroyed.
Suddenly he`d lost his mother again and the security of a family was gone but also his career was not what he wanted and instead of touring europe and overseas he was playing the same places over and over again paying off the colonels gambling debts.
He was trapped and he knew it, he even fired the colonel but he couldn`t be free of him. The only place to go was down as he wanted a woman just to love him for himself and not the image, the guys weren`t around like they used to be and the touring was killing him and unfortunately he couldn`t get free.

KPM
12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately Elvis was never faithful it seems to any girl or woman in his life. He fooled around going back to Dixie Locke on up. He was the owner of the candy store and candy is very hard to turn down if you have a sweet tooth. Even Linda Thompson new he juggled girls around when they were so close. I suspect as he was getting older he may have finally had enough of the conquests, and like to believe he would have found someone to replace the constantly changing lineups.
Perhaps Dixie would have been the perfect woman for him. She was from the same roots and background she knew him beore he was this huge mega star. He needed to respect the woman he loved, Linda is a good example of the relationship he needed if he had only met her earlier(if she had been closer in age maybe they would have)
His mother was his compass
and had she lived many things may have turned out very very different. But its only my opinion. So many ifs on such a grand scale...

joanne
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Red West said in an interview that in the last couple of years of his life it was just whoever was in his life and that was it he said he figured he was getting old.

KPM
12-07-2005, 11:32 PM
His life was complicated, beyond our wildest dreams. He was known worldwide by his first name (one of the few people who is) and grew up in the poorest of circumstances. He had millions of fans not to mention personal friends who counted on him and that is a heavy load to carry. He had to get tired of always having to have the answers to everyones questions and needs. He had questions of his own but when you are the one expected to have all the answers- who can you rely on for your heart to hearts about your problems. Insomnia wrecked havoc with him all his life, no wonder he thought sleeping pills were a miracle. Its so sad. In a way so much out of his control was stacked against him from day one. Like I said earlier you cant control how you grew up and your heredity. I have read that by the age of 6 your basic thinking pattern has already formed and it affects you the rest of your life. You can not control how your first years shape you.(Most don't even realize it)

joanne
12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
His life was complicated, beyond our wildest dreams. He was known worldwide by his first name (one of the few people who is) and grew up in the poorest of circumstances. He had millions of fans not to mention personal friends who counted on him and that is a heavy load to carry. He had to get tired of always having to have the answers to everyones questions and needs. He had questions of his own but when you are the one expected to have all the answers- who can you rely on for your heart to hearts about your problems. Insomnia wrecked havoc with him all his life, no wonder he thought sleeping pills were a miracle. Its so sad. In a way so much out of his control was stacked against him from day one. Like I said earlier you cant control how you grew up and your heredity. I have read that by the age of 6 your basic thinking pattern has already formed and it affects you the rest of your life. You can not control how your first years shape you.(Most don't even realize it)I know his twin died but he had a happy childhood didn`t he?

EnigmaticSun
12-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I think that Elvis had a lovely relationship with his mother; they were both struck by poverty & hunger; had each other to rely upon in a crazy and up-side down world (that's why the Native Americans saw these times as 'the world turned upside down'; they call it pachakuti).

Elvis' childhood was very tough, though. These were times of trouble; there is a tremendous amount of information to be gained from historical parallels - the Mayan Calendar serves as a source of information on cosmos and time.

Look for instance at what NIGHT 5 (1932-1952), ruled by the Lord of Darkness ( Tezcatlipoca), produced in the Planetary Cycle; the Great Depression, Hitlerism, Stalinism, World War II, Atomic and Hydrogen Bombs.

Hunger during your childhood will affect the way you grow up; both physically and mentally - I think it even had an influence on the way Elvis sounded; his voice was unique and he made opera stars jealous. That's not something people would have expected from a guy who was seen as 'white trash' in his youth - I think it's plum unnecessary to give poor folks such a negative sounding name, but that was the way it went. It is also terribly short-sighted, because Elvis had some Native American blood in him!

I think that Elvis was very vulnerable after his mother's death - I'd say: give the guy a break; why don't people realize how tough it was to actually be Elvis Presley?

I think Priscilla had a big role contributing to Elvis' problems; but there were many other factors as well - I won't make a list right now, because it would be necessary for me to spend a lot of days and nights composing it!

People shouldn't criticize what they don't understand; they have never walked in that man's shoes and the same God that made him, made you too. I think Elvis did the best he could.

Many still don't know about Elvis' soul and talent; there's a long road ahead of us.

joanne
12-08-2005, 10:29 PM
I don`t believe that his problems started in childhood, Priscilla destroyed him and we all know that its no secret.
She destroyed him emotionally and the colonel destroyed him professionally and for that I will never forgive them.
Look at Elvis in the fifties everyone that knew him said how happy and full of life he was then look at him in the seventies after the colonel and Priscilla had ground him down he was a different man depressed and unhappy with his life.
She decided to tell him she was leaving him just as he was about to go on stage thats how good she is.
She knew how ill he was and what did she do she took him back to court and charged him with fraud claiming she wanted more money.
After they split she was still using credit cards charged to Elvis`s account and when Vernon found out he stopped them he knew what she was and if Gladys Presley had lived I`m sure she would have punched her lights out.

goodniteliz
12-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I think that although Elvis did have a rough childhood, I don't think that that was a major cause of his problems simply because since he came from nothing and then grew up to have anything and everything he wanted or could ever think of, it never went to his head, he was never changed by his success as so many others who have come from similar backgrounds are. I think that his mother was the center of his universe and when she passed, there was a void that was never filled nor could be filled by anyone and he just never knew how to deal with it. Nobody really knows how to deal with something like that and I think Elvis just did the best he could, he tried, and I don't think anyone has a right to criticize him. We all have our problems and we all deal with things differently. Ultimately, it was many things that went into his demise, most of it we will never even know the truth about nor understand. But he still does not deserve the criticism that he constantly receives for the way he lived his life. He did with it what he could, and considering his enormous success, I'd say he did alright. Better than alright. He did awesome.

KPM
12-09-2005, 12:00 AM
I know his twin died but he had a happy childhood didn`t he?

He grew up very poor, father gone to prison for 3 years for check fraud, moved to Memphis where he was looked on by most(but a very few) as poor white trash. lived in Memphis in the projects for the poorest of poor. Money was always a problem and his mother and father both worked in one way or another. Pretty bleak first 17 years. I can only go by my own experiences - I grew up poor and my father hung himself when I was 5, I moved 33 times up to age 17(when I went out on my own) It was a hard and many times unhappy life-I am not comparing myself to Elvis but human experience is the same. He had to be at times, before his fame, unhappy with feelings of insecurity from his childhood. Singing and entertaining are what gave him confidence at first. IMO
I think he was so understanding of Black people and their culture because he knew what it felt like to come from the wrong side of the tracks-to feel left out.
His constant search in latter life for answers about "Why Me" I think show he had yearning to understand his life from being "poor and powerless-considered "white trash" to rich and powerful, loved by millions.
I truely do not think Priscilla destroyed him, but failing in marriage was something he hated. Having his wife turn to another man and leave him was a huge ego killer especially with the world in on it. You can be the King on stage but when you are alone, your feelings are yours and yours alone. He probably never thought( no matter what he did) that she would ever leave. IMO his mothers death was the most traumatic thing he ever went thru, he said "Everything I have is gone" Priscilla leaving and his marriage a failure was the next closest. He did the best he could with situations and pressures that few have ever faced. He was the first to break into superstardom. As the ad said: "Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything"

joanne
12-09-2005, 12:52 AM
He grew up very poor, father gone to prison for 3 years for check fraud, moved to Memphis where he was looked on by most(but a very few) as poor white trash. lived in Memphis in the projects for the poorest of poor. Money was always a problem and his mother and father both worked in one way or another. Pretty bleak first 17 years. I can only go by my own experiences - I grew up poor and my father hung himself when I was 5, I moved 33 times up to age 17(when I went out on my own) It was a hard and many times unhappy life-I am not comparing myself to Elvis but human experience is the same. He had to be at times, before his fame, unhappy with feelings of insecurity from his childhood. Singing and entertaining are what gave him confidence at first. IMO
I think he was so understanding of Black people and their culture because he knew what it felt like to come from the wrong side of the tracks-to feel left out.
His constant search in latter life for answers about "Why Me" I think show he had yearning to understand his life from being "poor and powerless-considered "white trash" to rich and powerful, loved by millions.
I truely do not think Priscilla destroyed him, but failing in marriage was something he hated. Having his wife turn to another man and leave him was a huge ego killer especially with the world in on it. You can be the King on stage but when you are alone, your feelings are yours and yours alone. He probably never thought( no matter what he did) that she would ever leave. IMO his mothers death was the most traumatic thing he ever went thru, he said "Everything I have is gone" Priscilla leaving and his marriage a failure was the next closest. He did the best he could with situations and pressures that few have ever faced. He was the first to break into superstardom. As the ad said: "Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything"Very true he was the first and I always feel so sorry for what he went through because he was such a beautiful person.
I`m very sorry to hear about your fathers death KPM that must of been so traumatic for you my deepest sympathy to you.

EnigmaticSun
12-09-2005, 08:58 AM

You seem to have had a rough time; your words are wise.

I am wondering: did you also grow up during NIGHT 5 (1932-1952), ruled by the Lord of Darkness (Tezcatlipoca)? I would like to stress that a person may be born after that era anyway, but experiences, memories and human behaviour bear the influence of the Lord of Darkness (Tezcatlipoca) to this very day.

I think you also know that growing up in very difficult circumstances will influence the way you act, feel and think later on - it is not something to be underestimated. A difficult childhood may also be in conjunction with genetic characteristics.

Tezcatlipoca has also influenced both Priscilla and the Colonel (my feeling is that I can't even get rid of Tezcatlipoca today), but this is no justification for their immoral behaviour. I think they have really contributed to a major part of Elvis' problems; I think they have both taken advantage of Elvis' vulnerability.

KPM
12-09-2005, 09:17 PM
I was born in May of 1955.
I think many took advantage of Elvis and his vulnerablilities to varying degrees. He did what he could (in his own way) to make things right for people and their problems. He was human, but did what he could-what more could anyone ask. They should have been more concerned with what made him tick and not what he could do for them. Friends do that for each other.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I was born in May of 1955.
I think many took advantage of Elvis and his vulnerablilities to varying degrees. He did what he could (in his own way) to make things right for people and their problems. He was human, but did what he could-what more could anyone ask. They should have been more concerned with what made him tick and not what he could do for them. Friends do that for each other.

I quite agree with your comments on the whole, I also think that Elvis was aware of how people used his good nature and probably used that to his advantage when that was necessary. Elvis wasn't adverse to cutting people lose if they became a liability (Hebler & the west brothers). In their own way they tried to help Elvis even if the motive was bourne out of spite.

I think many of Elvis' friends tried to help in what ever way they could and I don't believe that all of his friends were just hanging around for what they could get out of Elvis although they were happy to take what was given, it is hard to help someone who is in denial about their addictions and are totally dependant.

Michael J Fox wrote a book several years ago, in it were some interesting insights to how you are treated by others once you become a celebrity, he commented that people were more inclined to say yes to you and very rarely are the words 'No' used, if you consider the fame Mr. Fox has and then gauge Elvis' celebrity it's near as **** it impossible to block all avenues, Elvis would and could find a way to get anything he needed one way or another, in fact people would probably crawl over broken glass to get Elvis whatever he needed just to engraciate themselves.

Elvis could get/have whatever he wanted but not what he needed, I also think that the people who surrounded Elvis were in denial, they believed Elvis was indestructable that he would come good again as he always did!

It is always easy with 20/20 hindsight to point out what went wrong and how and when help should have been given. The loss of Elvis' mother is often brought up as a contributing factor in the decline of Elvis' life, I am unsure if this is true, I am sure it hit Elvis very hard and was a major impact on his life but I find it hard to reconcile this with the remaining 19 years of his career and life and how this is blamed for all the bad but not the highs e.g. Movie years, 68 Special, Aloha etc.

Anyway enough of me rambling on :blink:

Matt

Cryogenic
12-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Elvis could get/have whatever he wanted but not what he needed

Succinct and eloquent enough to be poetry! I'm gonna remember that one.

I don't think we'll ever get a handle on the ins and outs of why he had the life he did - and why he succeeded and failed like he did. If Elvis himself didn't fully understand, how could an external person comprehend?

Here's something to take away with you.

I think Elvis fulfilled certain aspects of this description wholly and fully - but was orbiting around the edge, or skirting the periphery, in other ways:

In scattering your seed, scattering your “charity,” your good deeds in one form or another, you are giving away part of your personality, and taking into yourself part of another; you become mutually affiliated, one with the other; a little more attention and you will already be awarded with the knowledge, with the most unexpected discoveries. You will come at last to look upon your work as a science; it will lay hold of all your life, and may fill up your whole life. On the other hand, all your thoughts, all the seeds scattered by you, perhaps forgotten by you, will take on form and grow; whoever has received them from you will hand them on to another. And how can you tell what part of you may have in the future determination of the destinies of mankind? This knowledge and a whole lifetime of this work should raise you at last to such heights that you shall be capable of sowing some mighty seed, of bequeathing to the world some mighty thought.

KPM
12-11-2005, 03:44 AM
From my own experience I can tell you that as I get older having lost a father to suicide has weighed heavily on my mind. It did not bother me in my younger years but at about 30 I felt a void about it. Trauma (physical or mental) can begin to take root years after the initial damage and become life threatening. I truely believe that in his case that is one of the things which did begin to prey upon his mind. Its just speculation on your part as well as mine but its my belief.

joanne
12-11-2005, 04:27 PM
From my own experience I can tell you that as I get older having lost a father to suicide has weighed heavily on my mind. It did not bother me in my younger years but at about 30 I felt a void about it. Trauma (physical or mental) can begin to take root years after the initial damage and become life threatening. I truely believe that in his case that is one of the things which did begin to prey upon his mind. Its just speculation on your part as well as mine but its my belief.I totally agree, I never had a father and during my early years I never dwelt on it but suddenly in my late teens I went through some problems and suddenly all the pain and trauma suddenly hit me and I couldn`t deal with it. I have suffered from depression but I don`t want to be too morbid about this as we all have our problems to deal with.
I think what happened with Elvis (again its just speculation as we don`t know) is that when Priscilla left him maybe the pain that was deep inside him from the loss of his mother was unleashed and suddenly the pain was too much to bear. As I`ve stated when you go through a trauma sometimes it takes another incident to bring it to the surface.