PDA

View Full Version : Graceland & Elvis' Bedroom

Tommy
10-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Hello Everybody,

What are your thoughts about Elvis' bedroom at Graceland, do you think it should be open to the public, would you want to see it or would you rather have it remain a mystery? How do you feel when you think about his bedroom at Graceland?

Tommy :)

Captain Elwood David
10-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Hello Everybody,

What are your thoughts about Elvis' bedroom at Graceland, do you think it should be open to the public, would you want to see it or would you rather have it remain a mystery? How do you feel when you think about his bedroom at Graceland?

It really isn't that much of a mystery, because there are photos of both the bathroom & bedroom out there that by now all hardcore fans have seen.

There is not much in it anymore, either. All critical contents have long since been removed, inventoried, & archived by EPE.

EPE, however, was not the first to do so -----> the first was done back right after EP passed away, at Vernon's request.

Given the purge that was done right after EP died, the Vernon inventory, & now EPE's ---------> the room has never remained "untouched" in its original condition. That is a MYTH that EPE perpetuates for its own use & future plans. (Therein also lies the answer to part of your original query).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Jungleroom76
10-17-2005, 01:54 AM
It's an interesting dilemna... :hmm:

Personally, I would like to see the upstairs of Graceland and I think many of his fans would also like to see it as well!

Unfortunately, I think the logistics of opening the upstairs to the public make the whole idea prohibitive! There is no way to make the upstairs handicap accessible (like the bar and pool rooms are now) unless an elevator was installed, which obviously isn't going to happen.

The other problem is the safety issue with opening the upstairs, such as fire escapes, etc. In order to open the upstairs, emergency fire exits would have to be installed, including fire escapes. Obviously the installation of fire escapes would drastically alter the exterior of the house, which is something I just don't see happening.

So while opening the upstairs would certainly be great, I just think there are too many logistical issues that make the idea impossible to do. HOWEVER...EPE could update their tour video that they sell at the Graceland Plaza and through their catalog and include a tour of the upstairs. That way, fans could see the upstairs without all of the problems that would be created actually trying to open the upstairs to the touring public! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Tommy
10-17-2005, 02:14 AM
It really isn't that much of a mystery, because there are photos of both the bathroom & bedroom out there that by now all hardcore fans have seen.

There is not much in it anymore, either. All critical contents have long since been removed, inventoried, & archived by EPE.

EPE, however, was not the first to do so -----> the first was done back right after EP passed away, at Vernon's request.

Given the purge that was done right after EP died, the Vernon inventory, & now EPE's ---------> the room has never remained "untouched" in its original condition. That is a MYTH that EPE perpetuates for its own use & future plans. (Therein also lies the answer to part of your original query).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

It's not the same as seeing the rooms in person as seeing an old photo. How does anyone know for sure that the room has not changed.

Tommy
10-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Thank you Mike for your reply. I don't know what the state laws are in TN, but I've seen old historic homes in the USA upstairs with no fire escapes and no means for the handicaped. Although it would be the thing to do for the handicaped.

I would like to see upstairs. But Lisa Marie say that's not for the public, that it was the private quarters for the family and that's why they won't ever show it. But maybe one day it will be opened, years from now.

The video was a good idea too. (y)

10-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Personally I think Elvis has been exploited enough in life and certainly death to make every last item of dignity open to the public to view, for me is too much. To have people stop and stare at the spot where he lost his life, amid all the tabloid junk and sesnationalism about how and where it happened, would be for me a very insensitive move.

Besides, Graceland would have to be altered to meet fire regulations were they to ever even consider allowing that many members of the public upstairs. Something which I don't think even EPE could do. Lisa is right to keep it off bounds. It adds to the myth and mystery as every set of eyes that enters that front door is drawn up the staircase that leads to the place where he lost his life. Besides, most people aren't aware that when you walk into Graceland you are standing practically beneath the spot where he lost his life.

In a word though - No - I don't think it ever should be opened up and I hope it isnt ever opened up. The Bedroom cam is even taking it too far. Why not have a Bathroom cam so we can all see what Elvis got to look at seconds before his death? EPE should just stop, besides Elvis had his curtains closed for pretty much the last few years, so he no more looked out that window than I did for a long time.

Oh by the way, the Captian is 100% correct about the way the room is now. In fact, most of the upsatirs is used for storage. I know several people who have been in the room and they all say the same. Most of the stuff has been moved out of it.

Wendy56
10-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Tommy, you know I would be really happy if I could go to Graceland. Would be awesome for me see everything there. But Elvis' bedroom... That was so personal thing for him... Actually I have mixed feeling about me going to visit that enigmatic place, as you said. maybe we should keep that as a mystery. Let's respect our man's privacy. (Well, sort of) ;)

And If that room is open to public, how could fans get into it?, one by one? :P

Albert
10-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Given the purge that was done right after EP died, the Vernon inventory, & now EPE's ---------> the room has never remained "untouched" in its original condition. That is a MYTH that EPE perpetuates for its own use & future plans. (Therein also lies the answer to part of your original query)....

Hi Captain,

Yes, EPE is really focused on giving people the idea that Graceland is untouched and is still is exactly the same to the August 1977 version.

I've read on a newsgroup that EPE is really carefull with access to the second floor of Graceland. One person (an electrician) had access to that floor, to work on the airconditioning. He told that that floor was completely stripped, and that several rooms (also Lisa's bedroom) was used for storage. Although it's reasonable, it's also a bit of a sad thought.

Pictures and information on the second floor of Graceland: http://www.linkydinky.com/graceland/

joanne
10-17-2005, 01:01 PM
I`m heartbroken that his bedroom has been completely stripped I can`t believe it. I know certain items have been taken from the upstairs to be put on display but I am shocked by this particularly when Lisa-Marie stated that the rooms upstairs have been untouched. Where has everything gone?

Captain Elwood David
10-17-2005, 01:13 PM
It's not the same as seeing the rooms in person as seeing an old photo. How does anyone know for sure that the room has not changed.

Tommy Boy,

If you are going to continue to question everything I say / post by default, ............ then just please do me the favor of ignoring my posts from here on out (& I'll do the same). Alrighty?

(I really don't have the time to play Romper Room with you anymore).

One last answer to your query, though:

All of Graceland is but a shell now. It's just a house & they can never re-create what is was when EP was there. I will agree, however, that seeing something in person does add an entirely different perspective than merely photos / descriptions cannot. As "Jungleroom76" points out -----> that may never come pass. We may have to be satisfied with a "virtual" tour of some sorts (those that want to see it that is).

-----------------------------------------------------

Greetings Albert,

Yes, you are correct.

Everything EPE does has a reason, either immediate ........... or ............ delayed.

They are actively re-writing EP's life & history, although I am pleased to see the ever so slight turn in direction away from their usual DISNEYFIED versions of the past .......... with the recent "Elvis By The Presley's" DVD (it is still, however, heavily skewed in favor of Priscilla, but I suppose that is to be expected).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

PS - If they ever open the upstairs, .......... I'll definitely make a return visit. I think for most hardcore fans, that's a given - if the chance is there.

Memphisgurl
10-17-2005, 02:05 PM
i think elvis's bedroom should still be kept a mystery because i don't think where he passed away should be exploited in anyway.

Tommy
10-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Tommy Boy,

If you are going to continue to question everything I say / post by default, ............ then just please do me the favor of ignoring my posts from here on out (& I'll do the same). Alrighty?

(I really don't have the time to play Romper Room with you anymore).

One last answer to your query, though:

All of Graceland is but a shell now. It's just a house & they can never re-create what is was when EP was there. I will agree, however, that seeing something in person does add an entirely different perspective than merely photos / descriptions cannot. As "Jungleroom76" points out -----> that may never come pass. We may have to be satisfied with a "virtual" tour of some sorts (those that want to see it that is).

-----------------------------------------------------

Greetings Albert,

Yes, you are correct.

Everything EPE does has a reason, either immediate ........... or ............ delayed.

They are actively re-writing EP's life & history, although I am pleased to see the ever so slight turn in direction away from their usual DISNEYFIED versions of the past .......... with the recent "Elvis By The Presley's" DVD (it is still, however, heavily skewed in favor of Priscilla, but I suppose that is to be expected).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

PS - If they ever open the upstairs, .......... I'll definitely make a return visit. I think for most hardcore fans, that's a given - if the chance is there.

I have a right to by opinion, just as you do yours. I don't appreicate the "Tommy Boy" either. You should have more respect for others opinions.

Tommy
10-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Thank you all for your interesting replies.

Captain Elwood David
10-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I have a right to by opinion, just as you do yours.

I don't appreicate the "Tommy Boy" either.

You should have more respect for others opinions.

Tommy Boy,

Yes, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but ..............

It's a fallacy that everyone's opinion is worth the same.

You're living proof of that.

(JMO, mind you).

Since you're going to dole out genius advice now --------- here's some for you in return --------> I think you should work some more on your own neuronal synapses.

Intelligent / informed opinion is always respected by me.

Cappy / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Dovey
10-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes, I do believe that we should be able to tour the upstairs of Elvis's Mansion. When you go to Graceland you pay a good price for everything and I truly believe that Elvis was the type of person who was proud of himself and his accomplishments and would want his fans to see his entire home.

Those who choice not to go upstairs~~well they would not have to tour it. Speaking for myself, I would have very much enjoyed seeing the entire mansion and felt a little cheated that they did not permit us to tour it. (As many of you have already stated~~there are pictures out there of his bedroom and bathroom so why not let his fans have the chance to see the entire mansion if they choice to.

I know it is just my opinon, but I do belive that Elvis would not mind at all. I felt his presence when I was there in the meditation garden and I know that he did loved his fans and always tried to please them. Wow, He sure was the "King" and I say long live the king even if others are making the decisions as to what the fans are permited to see at Graceland. Dovey

Tommy
10-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Welcome Dovey

I like what you had to say. (y)

Thank you,

Jungleroom76
10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Yes, I do believe that we should be able to tour the upstairs of Elvis's Mansion. When you go to Graceland you pay a good price for everything and I truly believe that Elvis was the type of person who was proud of himself and his accomplishments and would want his fans to see his entire home. Those who choice not to go upstairs~~well they would not have to tour it.

WELL SAID DOVEY!!! (y)

I agree with you completely that Elvis would have been very proud to show off his home to the fans!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

Captain Elwood David
10-18-2005, 02:48 AM
YES, ... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH DOVEY for your words !!(y) (y)
I not only like what you said, but HOW you said it as well !!! :clap: :clap:

I do hope so very, very much that I can read more of your words & the very, very special way in which you say them, too! :notworthy :notworthy

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE !!!! :cool: :cool:

THANK YOU AGAIN ....
...... and AGAIN !!!!!

.................................. and AGAIN !!!!!!

AH, HELL ---------> A BILLION THANK YOU'S FRIEND !!!!!!! :king: :king:

- Cappy
... just a very HAPPY fan .... :D :D x 100

--------------------------------------------

PS - Tommy,

I did forget to say thank you for one other thing:

I now know what it must feel like to get into an argument with Mickey Mouse.

Have a good one.

- Capt. "EL. / N880EP
... just a fan ....

PPS - Dovey, ............ that was entirely tongue-n-cheek. (wink!)

ayda
10-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Hello Everybody,

What do I feel when I think about Elvi's bedroom at Graceland?Very,very sad!:( He past away there(thank you God that it din't happend in some hotel room)I think it should be respected and live it as it is.Is the ONLY private thing left about him.:(

Thank you

Ayda

THENATUREBOY
10-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Ive always wanted to go upstairs and see the bedroom because since Elvis is not around, I think that would be as close as possible to be with him. But I dont think it should be done. It is disrespectful and changes would have to be done to the house to allow such a thing. But besides all that, when Elvis was alive this was his private sanctuary. When someone came to his house or was in the house few ever saw the inside of his room, with an exception of a few. He was proud of his house and all, but I dont think he would want to take us up to his room if we visited him. Only family and others he loved ever saw it.

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
As has already been mentioned the room and contents have been changed and used for storage, the bedroom cam has been installed by someone, probably a technician!.........................

For me if there was a time when it would have been truly like it would have been is shortly after Elvis' death.........................thereafter it has just become another room trampled by all and sundry.

EPE create the myth that things are unchanged to keep the fans happy when in reality Graceland is just a means to generate cash. Graceland is no more the home Elvis lived In, more a faxcimilie of the home Pricilla lived in with Elvis artifacts.

I would still like to go and see Graceland because it was Elvis' home and to go and look in the racket court to see the Jumpsuits.

JJ

joanne
10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Why has everything been archived?
The closest we ever got was the footage in This Is Elvis.

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Why has everything been archived?

Couple of reasons.......................... One to preserve the contents, stop them from being effected by sunlight and detereating (kept In protective enviroment). Two to index all Items so they can keep a catalogue to ensure Items are not lost/stolen.

Hope this helps

JJ

Dovey
10-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Thank you Tommy, Jungleroom76 and Captain Elwood for your replies.

I do love Elvis and it took me a long time to Get to Graceland ( I loved it all but did feel a little cheated that we could not tour the upstairs) Elvis has been gone for a long time and I am sure he is smiling down on us and yes, I do think he would want his fans to see his whole house. (There is nothing sick about that... it was all part of his life and he truly loved Graceland.)

To me it was like having a candy bar in front of a starving person and only giving them half of it because you didn't think they needed to have the rest of it. ha ha. I know I am one crazzzy Elvis fan but... maybe someday they will figure out a way to give the fans the rest of the candy bar !!!!

The most perfect time for me at Graceland was getting up early the second day and going down to the Gate and waiting for the guard to open it so that I could sit in the Meditation Garden. There was only about 8 other people there and as I sat there with the sun coming up and a soft breeze blowing in my face I cried because I had the most wonderful feeling inside it was a feeling of peace and love for Elvis. That one sounds a little crazy for some people but it was the highlight of the whole trip for me.

It makes me feel so happy to know that there are so many people who love Elvis (and always will) the stories about him sometimes make me feel bad but he was a human being and we all make mistakes (anybody who says they never made a mistake ... could be kidding themselves) Nobody is perfect but Elvis was the King of Rock & Roll . He was a dynamite singer and performer.

God Bless Elvis Fans from everywhere and even if you don't agree with me I know you must admire Elvis or you would not come to this site to see what is going on in the land of Elvis.

Thanks again, Dovey

Sattnin
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Tommy I have posted a couple of new pics of the upstairs:

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=8875&c=

Dovey
10-18-2005, 07:45 PM

All I can say is "Wow fantastic pictures!!" I have quite a few but they do not compare to yours. I will be spending as much time as I can looking at them. You camera must be a really good one. Great!!!!!:clap: Love the pictures and thanks so much for sharing them..... How did you ever get some of them??? ha ha... (I tried hard!!!) (y) (y) :notworthy :notworthy You even the one of the TV he shot into.. wow!!! Dovey

joanne
10-18-2005, 09:29 PM
If they do eventually open the bedroom etc they`ll do it as they want and not how it was when Elvis died.

Wendy56
10-18-2005, 10:38 PM
I have posted a couple of new pics of the upstairs:

Excellent pictures!!! I loved them all, they are SO AWESOME. Thank you so much for sharing. :clap:

Jungleroom76
10-19-2005, 12:05 AM

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT PHOTOS SATTNIN!!! (y)

Did you manage to get these photos yourself?? When were they taken? :hmm:

THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING!!

TCB!
Mike

Tommy
10-19-2005, 12:13 AM

Thank you so much Sattnin! I so appreciated your photos. (y) Very interesting to see.

Tommy

Captain Elwood David
10-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Definition:

ec-sta-sy
n. pl. ec-sta-sies
1. Intense joy or delight.
2. A state of emotion so intense that one is carried beyond rational thought and self-control: an ecstasy of rage.
3. The trance, frenzy, or rapture associated with mystic or prophetic exaltation.

(............. lol !! .................)

------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from my first post on this thread:

It really isn't that much of a mystery, because there are photos of both the bathroom & bedroom out there ..........

Enjoy the rapture of Nirvana ............ (lol !) ............... :lol:

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Sattnin
10-19-2005, 01:37 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT PHOTOS SATTNIN!!! (y)

Did you manage to get these photos yourself?? When were they taken? :hmm:

THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING!!

TCB!
Mike
Let me tell ya, if I had been there and taken these photos, I would have taken more than just the doors leading to his bedroom!! Ha Ha!!!!I search all over the internet looking for any Elvis photos and when I find the good ones, I share them with my fellow Elvis lovers!!:)

Jungleroom76
10-19-2005, 02:21 AM
TOUCHE` SATTNIN!!! ;)

THANKS AGAIN for sharing them with us!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

ayda
10-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Hello Everybody,

When I think about it I could cry.I mean he past away there wich in a way is good because it would have been sad if he had die in some cold hotel room)I think they're going too far.Is the only part that is left private.I wonder what the heck is LM thinking.Or duh $$$$$$$$.His bedroom was were he went to be alone.To be Elvis the man.I would not go in.I find it hard to make it to the yard where he is resting.Last year I tried and I turned around and left.is sad:(

Alyda

Captain Elwood David
10-19-2005, 07:39 AM
For all the talk done by EPE about not exploiting the upstairs / E's bedroom-n-office complex ------>

Then why is there a camera sticking out of his bedroom window as an enticement to get gullible fans to fork over annual dues for the blatantly pandering titled "Insider's Club" ............ ?

(Rhetorical question, folks ............. in case it weren't obvious .......... wink!!)

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Cryogenic
10-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Wake up, people!

Those new internal images come straight from "Elvis by the Presleys"! (It's the part where Jerry Schilling talks about Elvis and Priscilla arguing in the bedroom). If you haven't seen this amazing - albeit skewed documentary - then you should make it your top priority. No chocolate buttons for the rest of you! ;)

BTW, Cappy... I read earlier this year that Elvis' ten foot by ten foot bed was going on exhibition! How tacky can you get...? If that isn't confirmation of EPE's ridiculously transparent regard, then NOTHING is.

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-19-2005, 09:10 AM
A special thanks to those that have made my visits to this site a rewarding and informative experience! And a mention to the unmentionables that detract from the true nature and spirit by interjecting negative comments (albeit few are warranted in adult conversation!) into petty squabbles,( or possibly venting personal issues.. ie. transference..) by thinly veiled sarcasm, etc..
And by the true nature and spirit; I don't think Elvis ever talked down to anyone or would have even had he been a PHD! Not in is nature. In fact he probably would have spoken out had he overheard it. A quote he probably would have used; "Never judge lest ye be judged"......

Just a thought.......:hmm:

10-19-2005, 01:55 PM
He wasn't Jesus! But I know what your getting at...!

Captain Elwood David
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Wake up, people!

Those new internal images come straight from "Elvis by the Presleys"!

LOL!! :lol:

BTW, Cappy... I read earlier this year that Elvis' ten foot by ten foot bed was going on exhibition! How tacky can you get...? If that isn't confirmation of EPE's ridiculously transparent regard, then NOTHING is.

I haven't heard anything about E's bed, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

-------------------------------------

On another note: Be careful "Cryo", ............... you can post anything and just about get THANK YOU'D to DEATH. :clap: :notworthy :notworthy :clap:

-------------------------------------

Menwithbrokenhearts -

Only a cretin would attempt to psychoanalyze others over the internet.

Psychoanalysis is also the ultimate Grand-Daddy of Pseudoscience, as far as I'm concerned.

Such psychobabble claims are ultimately unfalisifiable.

Btw, ........ love your positive projecting onto EP, as well. ;)

(get it ?)

------------------------------------

"Cryo" & "03 ..",

It's a never-ending battle ..................

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Dovey
10-19-2005, 04:05 PM
[quote=Captain Elwood David]Definition:

ec-sta-sy
n. pl. ec-sta-sies
1. Intense joy or delight.
2. A state of emotion so intense that one is carried beyond rational thought and self-control: an ecstasy of rage.
3. The trance, frenzy, or rapture associated with mystic or prophetic exaltation.

(............. lol !! .................)

------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from my first post on this thread:

Enjoy the rapture of Nirvana ............ (lol !) ............... :lol:

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....[/quote
LOL..... one thing is for sure Captain Elwood.... The people who run Graceland will not get any more of my money!!! My journey was worth the trip but I would not go back... Everything changes from day to day from what I have read and seen but his spirit is still there and they can not sell that LOL Dovey

Cryogenic
10-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Dovey, I don't think that's quite what the good Captain was referring to with that dictionary extract. But yeah... I'd LOVE to visit Graceland at some point; as artificial and consumer-geared as it may now be (the same applies to Elvis' original birthplace, BTW - fresh paint, super shiny interior, curtains and electricity! <-------- MASSIVE historical revisions!).

I haven't heard anything about E's bed, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Turns out I was half-wrong; or half-right. :D

It's his bedspread. But I'd say, in terms of tackiness, the two are comparable:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news/texas_state_fair.shtml

It's a good thing we don't upload posts by scrawling on a tablet and submitting our handwriting. Then we'd get people trying to use the psuedoscience of graphology.

"I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." - Doctor Who

"Cryo" & "03 ..",

It's a never-ending battle ..................

Too true.

Incidentally, I once came across an Elvis book on Amazon that reminded me of you - it's premise was specifically the MYTHS of Elvis-dom, how they came about and, of course, how and why the particular ones they chose to look at were so fallacious. I was pleased when it went into stuff that even Guralnick failed to acknowledge in Last Train... I wish I could remember the book!

EDIT: Perseverance pays off! Found it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0815331649/104-2269083-7683909?v=glance&n=283155&%5Fencoding=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&no=283155&st=books

Here's a great quote that I was essentially paraphrasing above:

After Presley became famous and the house of his birth a tourist attraction, local residents took great care to turn the shack into a quaint bungalow by painting the outside, wallpapering the inside, and adding curtains to the windows, amenities the Presleys could have had afforded. They also furnished the inside with a sewing machine, a high chair, and electric appliances (the Presleys did not have electricity), and they added a porch swing and landscaping. With a stroke of the paintbrush, the Presleys' abject poverty was upgraded to humble beginnings for the sake of the official Elvis Presley myth.

Dovey
10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
If they do eventually open the bedroom etc they`ll do it as they want and not how it was when Elvis died.
Joanne, I know that you are absolutely right about the upstairs of Elvis's home. I guess the only thing they can't take from him and the fans is that his Spirit still lives on the Graceland grounds that he loved so much. I do not plan on returning but I did feel his spirit and will be content with that for sure. Dovey

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-19-2005, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Elwood David]LOL!! :lol:

I
Menwithbrokenhearts -

Psychoanalysis is also the ultimate Grand-Daddy of Pseudoscience, as far as I'm concerned.

Such psychobabble claims are ultimately unfalisifiable.

Btw, ........ love your positive projecting onto EP, as well. ;)

(get it ?)

------------------------------------

Yes, I get it. Trust me, I would never attempt to psychoanalyze others just an attempt to understand why someone would attempt to psychoanalyze others "Only a cretin would attempt to...." in such condescending and sarcastic tones that would only be considered personal attacks in my book. I agree that certain conversations require certain negative responses but only in regards to the subject being presented. Sad when someone has to include personal attacks to get their point across. No more from me on this subject, too much space being taken up on this thread that is off subject.

About the bedroom, sounds like it wouldn't be worth it anyway considering the changes. Might be best to keep some of his life private anyway. I think he has been exploited enough. And the whole idea, as someone else mentioned, of fans staring and gawking at the space where he died repulses me.

That is all.....;)

Cryogenic
10-19-2005, 11:24 PM
It would have been more dignified if the bedroom WAS kept private, perhaps (however tacky it actually is/was)...but money talks. EPE have already pushed the boundaries and proven they have little regard for such ephemeral concepts as tact/restraint/taste/decency when it comes to business. The almighty dollar rules all. And I don't really begrudge EPE for that. Supply and demand, supply and demand... We do the demanding and they do the supplying.

Captain Elwood David
10-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Sad when someone has to include personal attacks to get their point across. No more from me on this subject, too much space being taken up on this thread that is off subject.

No more "sad" than when a "newbie" comes aboard atop their shining white horse touting their purity while making erroneous statements about how other long time members are not informative / helpful.

In fact, this is a blatant example as to your ignorance on a number of levels.

Here's another, .......................... there is nothing thinly veiled about my sarcasm. I consider that to be a massive understatement of fact. :lol:

--------------------------------------

Respect is a two-way street.

--------------------------------------

On that note (& back on-topic):

EPE is truly respecting EP's privacy, ............... by hauling all of the upstairs contents and placing it all on display down in the annex for the tours.

(Just some more thinly veiled sarcasm, ............... in case it weren't obvious ............. (wink!!) ............ )

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-20-2005, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Elwood David]No more "sad" than when a "newbie" comes aboard atop their shining white horse touting their purity while making erroneous statements about how other long time members are not informative / helpful.
In fact, this is a blatant example as to your ignorance on a number of levels."

Ok, truce. First of all I never said you were not informative or helpful. I think your posts are.:notworthy I just can't come out and start calling people names when I disagree with them.
And maybe I am a newbie here, and I like that because there is so much for me to do and see. All of you guys have made this a great place, but this does not mean I am ignorant by any means. That's a pretty broad generalization,:!: when maybe in fact I am not as informed as some of you on all things Elvis. That's ok too. :blush: I'm here to talk and learn.
I probably shouldn't have posted my first posting on this thread that way because I knew it would provoke an attack and the banter would go on and on. That was not my intention.
And by no means am I pure ... nor do I own a white horse...;)
I am not trying to make enemies here, I would like to stay on and make friends. It's not very often that I get a chance to talk about Elvis.
Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Truce?

Captain Elwood David
10-20-2005, 02:28 AM
... nor do I own a white horse...;)

I am not trying to make enemies here, I would like to stay on and make friends. It's not very often that I get a chance to talk about Elvis.

Truce?

No enemies here, least of which me.

As the first magnanimous gesture of our new truce .....................

Do you wanna borrow my white horse? :D

---------------------------------------

Welcome aboard, "Menwithbrokenhearts."

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-20-2005, 02:57 AM
No enemies here, least of which me.

As the first magnanimous gesture of our new truce .....................

Do you wanna borrow my white horse? :D

---------------------------------------

Welcome aboard, "Menwithbrokenhearts."

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
... just a fan ....

Thanks.......

Dovey
10-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Captain Elwood and Menwithbrokenhearts... you are both gentlemen and it so wonderful to see how easily you work out differences without any anger. Love it!!!!(y) (y) (y)

Dovey

stillrockin
10-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Photo's of Elvis' bedroom can be seen by clicking here (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.elvisowned.com/Elvis%2520and%2520Jeannee%2520on%2520staircase.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zyworld.com/collins3076/Page6.htm&h=259&w=346&sz=11&tbnid=jncTpRKknXwJ:&tbnh=86&tbnw=116&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3Delvis%2Bgraceland%2Bbedroom%26svnum%3 D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D).

neldiS
10-23-2005, 10:07 PM
post deleted - not interested in posting here

Tommy
10-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Photo's of Elvis' bedroom can be seen by clicking here (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.elvisowned.com/Elvis%2520and%2520Jeannee%2520on%2520staircase.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zyworld.com/collins3076/Page6.htm&h=259&w=346&sz=11&tbnid=jncTpRKknXwJ:&tbnh=86&tbnw=116&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3Delvis%2Bgraceland%2Bbedroom%26svnum%3 D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D).

Thank you stillrockin and welcome to TCB. I enjoyed looking at the photos of Elvis' bedroom. I find them very nice and I like the way it was done. Back in the early 70's that was considered great decorating styles.

Thank you again. (y)

SatninLove
10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
no I don't think they will or should open the upstairs and elvis' bedroom to the public.There already showing so much,something has to be kept private...
It's in Elvis' best interest that it's kept private in my opinion..
-SatninLove

Laura Harrell
10-22-2008, 11:43 PM
I think it should remain private out of respect for Elvis.

presley31
10-22-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't think upstairs will ever be open to the public.

utmom2008
10-23-2008, 06:28 PM
When we were there last week I talked with the guy at the front of the house who seemed to know the most about GL. He listed a ton of reasons why the upstairs will never be opened to the public. As he said..."the upstairs was Elvis' private space even when he was living." Another reason he mentioned that made sense was the fact that it would be a logistical nightmare.:blush:

Teddy
10-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Another reason he mentioned that made sense was the fact that it would be a logistical nightmare.:blush:

That's true. In order to control the flow of visitors in a comfortable way it would probably require major renovation to the house's original features and I doubt if any of us would want to see that happen.

utmom2008
10-23-2008, 06:50 PM
That's true. In order to control the flow of visitors in a comfortable way it would probably require major renovation to the house's original features and I doubt if any of us would want to see that happen.

He also said that since it's been designated a landmark that no major remodeling and/or construction can be done to the home.:blink::blush:

Teddy
10-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Glad to hear it (y)

utmom2008
10-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Glad to hear it (y)

So was I!(y) Sure, I'll be honest and say that I'm curious about the upstairs. However, my curiosity isn't greater than my urge to respect Elvis' privacy.:blush::blush:

Teddy
10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree and I wouldn't want to compromise the historical integrity of Graceland's condition to do it, either.

kathy parkinson
10-23-2008, 07:05 PM
My opinion is to keep upstairs private, there reall is no need to go up there.

presley31
10-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Why does the Graceland Mansion tour not include the upstairs area (Elvis’ bedroom, bath, office and wardrobe room, Lisa Marie’s nursery, etc.)?
Tours of the upstairs have not been available up to now and won't be in the foreseeable future. The part of Graceland we show the world on our tour is the part that Elvis showed anyone who visited him at Graceland. The upstairs was his private area. When Graceland opened, Priscilla and Lisa felt that the upstairs should remain private, that letting everyone go up there would be disrespectful and inappropriate - something the rest of our management wholeheartedly agrees with. Along with these personal feelings is the matter of logistics. With our volume of visitorship we would be required to put in an extra staircase as an exit, we'd have to do some remodeling upstairs as the hallway connecting the rooms is not large enough to accommodate crowds. This would radically alter the house and no one wants to do that. The issue of privacy and respect is also the reason that we do not publish photographs of the upstairs area. However, we do bring items from upstairs into our exhibits.

http://www.elvis.com/elvisology/faq/faq.asp?qid=13

Elvislives72
10-23-2008, 10:18 PM
The upstairs is too narrow for large groups of tens to travel back and forth through there on a daily basis. Also the home is old and the upstairs wouldn't be able to substain continuous pedestrian traffic and could be in danger of collapsing and destroying the home and people getting hurt or killed.

Much of the entire upstairs was at one time used for guest rooms and then later office space when it opened to the public and remained that way up until about 5 years ago. but today it's basically a ghost town up there. Everything including the offices have been relocated.

Either last year or the year before it was mentioend by someone at Graceland, maybe Kevin Kern, that a possible mock up of the upstairs bedroom, Elvis' personal office and Lisa's room could be in the plans for the future to give visitors a replica of what it looked like without anyone actually going through the rooms. Don't know if that's still in the plans or not.

MissyM
10-24-2008, 12:47 AM
I think Elvis would be mortified as it is that someone is trapsing through his house and Glady's even more. I don't know, what difference does it make now that they go through the upstairs.

SeeSeeRider777
10-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Rosanne how about you and I break in at night? We can dress in all black and blend in with the night. We'll break into Graceland and look at Elvis' bedroom.

Elvislives72
10-24-2008, 01:10 AM
I think Elvis would be mortified as it is that someone is trapsing through his house and Glady's even more. I don't know, what difference does it make now that they go through the upstairs. True but you can also say that about practically every deseased person throughout history.

utmom2008
10-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Rosanne how about you and I break in at night? We can dress in all black and blend in with the night. We'll break into Graceland and look at Elvis' bedroom.

It's a deal Joe!(y) I'll be working on our outfits to wear. If we are dressed in black no one will notice...they will just think it's Priscilla!:lmfao::lmfao:

shelley.m.
10-24-2008, 03:45 AM
I personally don't like when people want to see what my bedroom looks like.So,I say no to the question about letting people see Elvis' bedroom at Graceland.

littlesister3
10-24-2008, 03:55 AM
I can understand why it is kept private and I think it should be, but I'll be honest, if I were given the chance to see it I would jump in my car and head to Graceland as fast as I could! What I would really love to see though is the place that stores a lot of his stuff, I'm not sure what its called but Oprah saw it on her roadtrip.

rhythmknights
10-24-2008, 05:12 AM
i don't want it opened to the public. i'm dying to know what it looked like, but somethings should be kept private. personally, it would just be too sad for me to see.
[i always thought it was closed off because it was where LisaMarie would stay when she was in town, but has she ever stayed at Graceland when she's in Memphis?]

presley31
10-24-2008, 02:23 PM
i don't want it opened to the public. i'm dying to know what it looked like, but somethings should be kept private. personally, it would just be too sad for me to see.
[i always thought it was closed off because it was where LisaMarie would stay when she was in town, but has she ever stayed at Graceland when she's in Memphis?]

Lisa doesn't sleep at graceland, she goes to the peabody when she is in memphis.

tcbeus
10-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm dying to see it too,but let's just keep it private.That's what Elvis wanted to do...

utmom2008
10-24-2008, 10:13 PM
What I would really love to see though is the place that stores a lot of his stuff, I'm not sure what its called but Oprah saw it on her roadtrip.

I would LOVE to find that place as well! No one in Memphis acts as though they have any idea where it is. It's supposed to be fire proof, tornado proof, etc....You would think that by now someone had figured out where it is.:blink::blush::hmm::hmm:

Diane
10-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't like the idea of having the upstairs open to the public, but I sure would like to see it privately.:D

Diane

Albert
10-25-2008, 09:14 AM
keeping upstairs private is just a farce and a marketing way to keep Graceland exciting and mysterious for those who've been there several times. It gives the feeling of it being still somewhat a home, instead of a museum.

But trust me, when the numbers of visitors will decline, upstairs will be opened for public.

(and the upstair rooms are empty currently and filled with boxes... the story that EPE is telling that everything is left the way it was, is just a myth and a proof of my first point)

MissyM
10-25-2008, 02:10 PM
True but you can also say that about practically every deseased person throughout history.

_________
Well not to be controversial, but to me Elvis was not everyone else in history. We know how he felt about his house and his privacy. We know what Gladys felt about those. He selected who came in and where they could go. Why???
Now like in many respects, his wishes and what he would have wanted have been ignored. But that is just my opinion, and is swayed by someone who has been there when he owned it. Someone who understands the spirit of Elvis, Gladys, and Graceland.
So right off, I admit, I'm baised.

presley31
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
keeping upstairs private is just a farce and a marketing way to keep Graceland exciting and mysterious for those who've been there several times. It gives the feeling of it being still somewhat a home, instead of a museum.

But trust me, when the numbers of visitors will decline, upstairs will be opened for public.

(and the upstair rooms are empty currently and filled with boxes... the story that EPE is telling that everything is left the way it was, is just a myth and a proof of my first point)

I have heard that the upstairs is mostly for storage. Lisa last interview said it was to dusty up there so me thinks nobody even cleans up there:blink:but however l still feel the upstairs should be off limets and l really think Lisa will stand behind it being closed, cause its her room up there to and l doubt she really like the idea of fans going though the most private area of graceland and she does own the grounds so she has more say on this part.

TotallyInsane
10-25-2008, 03:13 PM
The upstairs is too narrow for large groups of tens to travel back and forth through there on a daily basis. Also the home is old and the upstairs wouldn't be able to substain continuous pedestrian traffic and could be in danger of collapsing and destroying the home and people getting hurt or killed.

Much of the entire upstairs was at one time used for guest rooms and then later office space when it opened to the public and remained that way up until about 5 years ago. but today it's basically a ghost town up there. Everything including the offices have been relocated.

Either last year or the year before it was mentioend by someone at Graceland, maybe Kevin Kern, that a possible mock up of the upstairs bedroom, Elvis' personal office and Lisa's room could be in the plans for the future to give visitors a replica of what it looked like without anyone actually going through the rooms. Don't know if that's still in the plans or not.

The upstairs has never been used as guest rooms or an office.

KPM
10-26-2008, 04:06 AM
I can understand Elvis not wanting everyone in his house(let alone his most private sanctuary his bedroom) but I can also understand Elvis not wanting to see his home sold at auction and his daughter and grandkids getting a one time payday which would not last forever. So I see how he might look at it differently given the situation he left after he died. That said I think the upstairs should remain closed. Many people visited the downstairs during his lifetime-they were not all relatives, or close friends many were fans or business associates or (friends of his friends even)-but few, very few ever got upstairs.

presley31
10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I can understand Elvis not wanting everyone in his house(let alone his most private sanctuary his bedroon) but I can also understand Elvis not wanting to see his home sold at auction and his daughter and grandkids getting a one time payday which would not last forever. So I see how he might look at it differently given the situation he left after he died. That said I think the upstairs should remain closed. Many people visited the downstairs during his lifetime-they were not all relatives, or close friends many were fans or business associates or (friends of his friends even)-but few, very few ever got upstairs.

well said KPM and l agree too(y)(y)

littlesister3
10-27-2008, 06:24 AM
I would LOVE to find that place as well! No one in Memphis acts as though they have any idea where it is. It's supposed to be fire proof, tornado proof, etc....You would think that by now someone had figured out where it is.:blink::blush::hmm::hmm:

I know! It seem very strange, but I guess it's just another mystery about Elvis's life.
Maybe one day I'll get to go to that place........a girl can dream right?

Elvislives72
10-28-2008, 12:15 AM
The upstairs has never been used as guest rooms or an office. Back when Elvis was alive, yes it was used for guest rooms but when it opened to the public the upstairs was transformed into small offices.

presley31
10-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Back when Elvis was alive, yes it was used for guest rooms but when it opened to the public the upstairs was transformed into small offices.

I never heard that once:hmm: What are your sources for this information?

KPM
10-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Back when Elvis was alive, yes it was used for guest rooms but when it opened to the public the upstairs was transformed into small offices.
Which rooms were used for guest rooms and which rooms were used for offices? This is a new one to me also.

Elvislives72
10-28-2008, 01:30 AM
I never heard that once:hmm: What are your sources for this information? How about Graceland workers? When I was there back in the mid 90's they told us then that it was used as company business offices upstairs. Not Elvis' room or Lisa's. Just couple of the guest rooms that he used to use for his friends.

presley31
10-28-2008, 01:42 AM
How about Graceland workers? When I was there back in the mid 90's they told us then that it was used as company business offices upstairs. Not Elvis' room or Lisa's. Just couple of the guest rooms that he used to use for his friends.

Nancy rooks(elvis maid explained the upstairs and never said there was offices up there so l find that alittle hard to believe:hmm:

The Floor plans of upstais doesn't show any other rooms except the bodyguard's room.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Backstrom2003/floorp3.jpg

Elvislives72
10-28-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm just repeating what we the tourists were told by a tour guide when describing what was upstairs and why it was off limits. Maybe they lied for some reason, I don't know. I do know that Elvis; aunt, Delta Mae Presley lived up there until her death in the 90's.

Teddy
10-28-2008, 02:21 AM
For some reason I thought Delta lived on the far side of the kitchen area around then.

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 03:39 AM
I'm just repeating what we the tourists were told by a tour guide when describing what was upstairs and why it was off limits. Maybe they lied for some reason, I don't know. I do know that Elvis; aunt, Delta Mae Presley lived up there until her death in the 90's.

Perhaps they were confused...:doh::doh: Two weeks ago one of the tour guides had just graduated from High School and didn't know as much about Elvis and/or the house as my cats know.

For some reason I thought Delta lived on the far side of the kitchen area around then.

She did.;):D

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 03:42 AM

True...the first time we went to Graceland back in 88 the kitchen was not yet on the tour because of Delta's living arrangements.

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 03:46 AM
I never heard that once:hmm: What are your sources for this information?

How about Graceland workers?

You will find that most ardent fans seem to know alot more than any of the GL workers. On our trip last April the tour guide had no clue who Scatter was, but better still...she wanted to argue with us that the body was never viewed in the house and that the funeral was NOT held in the house. So...don't take the GL workers words to the bank.;)

ehollier
10-28-2008, 06:14 AM
How about Graceland workers? When I was there back in the mid 90's they told us then that it was used as company business offices upstairs. Not Elvis' room or Lisa's. Just couple of the guest rooms that he used to use for his friends.

Could they be referring to maybe the rooms above the garage, which were guest quarters when Elvis lived there????

Elvislives72
10-28-2008, 05:29 PM
You will find that most ardent fans seem to know alot more than any of the GL workers. On our trip last April the tour guide had no clue who Scatter was, but better still...she wanted to argue with us that the body was never viewed in the house and that the funeral was NOT held in the house. So...don't take the GL workers words to the bank.;)
Well to be fair these kids they hire today are there just to have a job that doesn't require too much educational background or knowledge. But that's an embarrassment on EPE's part for them to hire workers and not train them properly. I've read form others who have been to Graceland than the staff isn't all that fan friendly. Sillerman better get that put in check and fast.:mad:

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Well to be fair these kids they hire today are there just to have a job that doesn't require too much educational background or knowledge. But that's an embarrassment on EPE's part for them to hire workers and not train them properly. I've read form others who have been to Graceland than the staff isn't all that fan friendly. Sillerman better get that put in check and fast.:mad:

Yes, I agree with you on those points. 95% of the employees actually know very little about Elvis or the house.:blush::blush:

Teddy
10-28-2008, 06:09 PM
They should recruit their staff here at TCB World. (y)
They wouldn't even have to pay me to hang around Graceland all day pontificating about Presley history. I'd settle for health insurance and a room at the Heartbreak Hotel :D

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
They should recruit their staff here at TCB World. (y)
They wouldn't even have to pay me to hang around Graceland all day pontificating about Presley history. I'd settle for health insurance and a room at the Heartbreak Hotel :D

Too late Teddy...Gail and I already inquired about that 2 weeks ago. They put us on a "will call" list.:lol::lol::lol:

Teddy
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Too late Teddy...Gail and I already inquired about that 2 weeks ago. They put us on a "will call" list.:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe they've been reading your posts and fobbed you off! :lol:
If they employ me they will have the confidence of knowing that I'll always make Priscilla look wonderful in my monologues to visitors! :lmfao:

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe they've been reading your posts and fobbed you off! :lol:
If they employ me they will have the confidence of knowing that I'll always make Priscilla look wonderful in my monologues to visitors! :lmfao:

Speaking of.....they told us that she had been there 2 weeks earlier. She went out to the back and spent 4 hours with the horses. I guess she enjoys that unconditional love that animals give.;):lol:

Teddy
10-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Speaking of.....they told us that she had been there 2 weeks earlier. She went out to the back and spent 4 hours with the horses. I guess she enjoys that unconditional love that animals give.;):lol:

:mad: I can love much harder than any horse! :angry:

Teddy
10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
:blush: I've just realized how bad that sounds :blush:

ehollier
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
:blush: I've just realized how bad that sounds :blush:

ya think!!!! :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

ehollier
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Only REAL men apply!!!! :blush:

ehollier
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM

Yeah, and they probably made note of possible Priscilla stalkers after you were gone....how did you inquire about Priscilla without having your tongue snap off its roller??????:lol::lol::lol:

ehollier
10-28-2008, 06:46 PM

But all joking aside, its really ashamed that they don't have guides that are more knowledgeable about Elvis and his life - professionally and personally. I really wish they had people just as inspired as you and Gail (or Teddy?!:P) giving the tours and answering the questions.

kathy parkinson
10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
When i first went to Memphis in 87, the Graceland staff were very well informed about Elvis, and Graceland, they were also very nice to me and the British fans.
The last time i went in 05, most of them, not all of them, had no idea or worse couldn't care less, to them it was just a job, very sad really.

TotallyInsane
10-28-2008, 08:08 PM
But all joking aside, its really ashamed that they don't have guides that are more knowledgeable about Elvis and his life - professionally and personally. I really wish they had people just as inspired as you and Gail (or Teddy?!:P) giving the tours and answering the questions.

Yeah, Rosanne and I could bring life back in that jungle room - if they'd just let us!!! :lmfao::lmfao:

Elvislives72
10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Look at the neighborhood it's in. I remember hearing that EPE couldn't get some to even work in that part of town even though it was Graceland so they hired the lower class workers who lived nearby who they could pay less for and save on.

Considering that EPE has been hurting for money in the past few years pre-CKX it makes some sense why they hired them in the first place. That and the fact that racial threats plays a part as well, unfortunately. With the city being predominately black and the powers that be are too, I doubt they will be replaced or let go. Hopefully they'll be relocated to less important positions when pertaining to the legacy and history of Elvis.

EPE and Sillerman should hire a whole new tourist staff of well educated young adults that WANT to be there and teach the truth about Elvis and not just for some minimum wage paycheck.

KPM
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Look at the neighborhood it's in. I remember hearing that EPE couldn't get some to even work in that part of town even though it was Graceland so they hired the lower class workers who lived nearby who they could pay less for and save on.

EPEConsidering that ha been hurting for money in the past few years pre-CKX ........
EPE and Sillerman should hire a whole new tourist staff of well educated young adults that WANT to be there and teach the truth about Elvis and not just for some minimum wage paycheck.
I beg to differ-hurting for money before Sillerman? Elvis was the top earning deceased celebrity nearly every year. (Except the year Kurt Cobains widow sold 25% of his music in a one time deal for 50 million)
Sillerman shelled out huge bucks to buy into the Elvis image-because that image earned so much money so consistently.
In exchange for an 85% share in EPE, Lisa Marie Presley’s personal compensation is approximately $100 million, consisting of approximately $53 million in cash, approximately $22 million in Preferred Stock of the new parent company, 500,000 shares of common stock in the new parent company and the assumption or extinguishment of approximately $25 million of outstanding indebtedness. (The debt is partly EPE’s operating debt, typical of a business its size, and much of the debt is in mortgages for real estate purchases EPE has made over the years.)
EPE made around an average 41-42 million in years before Sillerman-going up nearly each year. IMO I would not call that hurting for money. The operation of EPE has been the model for many deceased celebrities operations. Rick Nelsons family called EPE for advice on how to protect the image of Nelson.
John Waynes family also took the cue from how EPE operated.
Good or bad depending on how you look at these type matter-it has by and large been considered a very successful operation.

buttonhead
10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
I can't even find some thread from 3 months ago,....:D

and WOW ..This one was from 2005,..:lol: :lol:

I wonder where do Capt. El go ??? :blink:

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM

No comment!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

ksimms2
10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
I can understand Elvis not wanting everyone in his house(let alone his most private sanctuary his bedroom) but I can also understand Elvis not wanting to see his home sold at auction and his daughter and grandkids getting a one time payday which would not last forever. So I see how he might look at it differently given the situation he left after he died. That said I think the upstairs should remain closed. Many people visited the downstairs during his lifetime-they were not all relatives, or close friends many were fans or business associates or (friends of his friends even)-but few, very few ever got upstairs.

I completely agree. I, myself would like to see it - I feel like his presence would be felt more so in his private sanctuary. BUT - I wouldn't want everyone to see it - so only me, you, Rosanne, Gail and our other tcb-world friends can see it.....nobody else!

Donut
10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
No comment!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

http://www.gifsgratis.com/emoticones/archivos/00smileyincre62xx.gif (http://www.gifsgratis.com/emoticones/)

presley31
10-28-2008, 11:21 PM
I beg to differ-hurting for money before Sillerman? Elvis was the top earning deceased celebrity nearly every year. (Except the year Kurt Cobains widow sold 25% of his music in a one time deal for 50 million)
Sillerman shelled out huge bucks to buy into the Elvis image-because that image earned so much money so consistently.
In exchange for an 85% share in EPE, Lisa Marie Presley’s personal compensation is approximately $100 million, consisting of approximately $53 million in cash, approximately $22 million in Preferred Stock of the new parent company, 500,000 shares of common stock in the new parent company and the assumption or extinguishment of approximately $25 million of outstanding indebtedness. (The debt is partly EPE’s operating debt, typical of a business its size, and much of the debt is in mortgages for real estate purchases EPE has made over the years.)
EPE made around an average 41-42 million in years before Sillerman-going up nearly each year. IMO I would not call that hurting for money. The operation of EPE has been the model for many deceased celebrities operations. Rick Nelsons family called EPE for advice on how to protect the image of Nelson.
Good or bad depending on how you look at these type matter-it has by and large been considered a very successful operation.

agreed KPM and great post(y)

Elvislives72
10-28-2008, 11:34 PM

$41M really isn't that much today when dealing with a privately ran business and all the expenses that go with it. This is why there's been very little expansion or improvements over the past 26 years since it opened. Since 91 Graceland has been planning to redevelop and expand but the money was never there to do any of it. Lisa's said herself that they were hardly able to pay the bills and had very little left over for upkeep.

What I would like to know is why now with all the financial support they have with CKX that no money has hardly been put in for upkeep to the existing facilities around the area such as the plaza and hotel since 05 when the original deal was signed?:hmm: Are they gonna just wait until they're ready to start redeveloping to even bother to clean anything up?

utmom2008
10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
$41M really isn't that much today when dealing with a privately ran business and all the expenses that go with it. This is why there's been very little expansion or improvements over the past 26 years since it opened.

He made $52 million this last year...$12 million more than Madonna made. Maybe they will be able to pay their bills now.:lol:

Elvislives72
10-29-2008, 12:50 AM
He made $52 million this last year...$12 million more than Madonna made. Maybe they will be able to pay their bills now.:lol: I was referring to how much they brought in prior to the CKX deal. I believe the $52M profit made this year is the most ever for EPE.

KPM
10-29-2008, 12:55 AM
$is41M really n't todathat much y when dealing with a privately ran business and all the expenses that go with it. This is why there's been very little expansion or improvements over the past 26 years since it opened. Since 91 Graceland has been planning to redevelop and expand but the money was never there to do any of it. Lisa's said herself that they were hardly able to pay the bills and had very little left over for upkeep.

What I would like to know is why now with all the financial support they have with CKX that no money has hardly been put in for upkeep to the existing facilities around the area such as the plaza and hotel since 05 when the original deal was signed?:hmm: Are they gonna just wait until they're ready to start redeveloping to even bother to clean anything up?
$41 million isn't that much money? For a deceased, no longer recording, no longer producing entertainer? EPE consistently made a healthy profit as I pointed out- you do not follow the models of unsuccessful business operations and this has been done by several big name families in regard to EPE. You do not get billionaires making 100 million dollar offers for 85% of your business without actually owning the main attraction and its contents (Graceland) Your assessment of this situation and mine are opposite.
As far as the status of the expansion we covered that about a year ago ad nauseum. When it happens -it happens and we then can see what it will be. Good or bad.

utmom2008
10-29-2008, 01:01 AM
As far as the status of the expansion we covered that about a year ago ad nauseum. When it happens -it happens and we then can see what it will be. Good or bad.

Now that's an understatement.:lol::lol:

ehollier
10-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Now that's an understatement.:lol::lol:

Huh?? I must have missed that thread. I guess I'll have to wait for its turn to come around again before I get to put in my 2 cents.

Elvislives72
10-29-2008, 01:17 AM
$41 million isn't that much money? For a deceased, no longer recording, no longer producing entertainer? EPE consistently made a healthy profit as I pointed out- you do not follow the models of unsuccessful business operations and this has been done by several big name families in regard to EPE. You do not get billionaires making 100 million dollar offers for 85% of your business without actually owning the main attraction and its contents (Graceland) Your assessment of this situation and mine are opposite.

You're missing my point. What I was saying is that EPE has been cheap by default prior to CKX. They have been planning this multi-million dollar proposed expansion for over a decade but the reason it never materialized was due to financial income or there lack of and not having backers as they do now. Therefore they could not spend the money needed to pay for a better more educated more higher paid staff so they hired in lesser educated and those who would receive MW for pay per hour. It's been said by former workers that EPE doesn't pay good at all for such a big attraction. I wouldn't be surprised if high school dropouts are employed by EPE today just to save as much as they can to pay for upkeep even though money shouldn't be an issue any longer.:hmm:

As for your question about $41M not being a lot. Yes it's a lot......for someone like you and me. But for a big commercialized business like EPE it's really not as much as it seems to be when put into account that they have to pay about 500 workers on staff, pay electric, and water bills, and other expenses not to mention the IRS. Once all that's done that leaves them with little to work with.

Now the recent $52M as mentioned today is a lot or more than what they usually average so maybe we'll start to see some better upkeeping at Graceland take place soon.

KPM
10-29-2008, 01:36 AM
You're missing my point. What I was saying is that EPE has been cheap by default prior to CKX. They have been planning this multi-million dollar proposed expansion for over a decade but the reason it never materialized was due to financial income or there lack of and not having backers as they do now. Therefore they could not spend the money needed to pay for a better more educated more higher paid staff so they hired in lesser educated and those who would receive MW for pay per hour. It's been said by former workers that EPE doesn't pay good at all for such a big attraction. I wouldn't be surprised if high school dropouts are employed by EPE today just to save as much as they can to pay for upkeep even though money shouldn't be an issue any longer.:hmm:

As for your question about $41M not being a lot. Yes it's a lot......for someone like you and me. But for a big commercialized business like EPE it's really not as much as it seems to be when put into account that they have to pay about 500 workers on staff, pay electric, and water bills, and other expenses not to mention the IRS. Once all that's done that leaves them with little to work with.

Now the recent $52M as mentioned today is a lot or more than what they usually average so maybe we'll start to see some better upkeeping at Graceland take place soon.
I am not missing your point my friend-I disagree with it. Until Sillerman took over I have never heard talk of an expansion which would necessitate 100's of millions of dollars. Graceland has had expansion and it has had growth-(obviously not to your liking) but never the less it has gone on steadily-without talk of Disneyland type theme parks etc......all that talk started with Sillerman. The "little income" you say they have to work with over the years allowed them to make many capital investments(buying back Elvis's plane for example) and I will remind you that not all growth is for the better in many peoples thinking. 41 -45 million is a great income.

Each state has a minimum wage and there is a Federal minimum wage-it would not matter who they hire they can not pay any lower than minimum wage. I have no idea what the pay structure is at Graceland-my brother has been there 3 times and he has never complained about the people who worked there. I will point out every business has good employees and bad employees-from EPE on down to McDonalds and from EPE on up to Wall Street (which since the financial collapse we are seeing that huge pay does not always equal great performance)

Diane
10-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Absolutely great post KPM! It was clear and to the point and I can't see how anyone can argue with it.(y)

Diane

Elvislives72
10-29-2008, 02:16 AM
I am not missing your point my friend-I disagree with it. Until Sillerman took over I have never heard talk of an expansion which would necessitate 100's of millions of dollars. Graceland has had expansion and it has had growth-(obviously not to your liking) but never the less it has gone on steadily-without talk of Disneyland type theme parks etc......all that talk started with Sillerman. The "little income" you say they have to work with over the years allowed them to make many capital investments(buying back Elvis's plane for example) and I will remind you that not all growth is for the better in many peoples thinking. 41 -45 million is a great income.

Each state has a minimum wage and there is a Federal minimum wage-it would not matter who they hire they can not pay any lower than minimum wage. I have no idea what the pay structure is at Graceland-my brother has been there 3 times and he has never complained about the people who worked there. I will point out every business has good employees and bad employees-from EPE on down to McDonalds and from EPE on up to Wall Street (which since the financial collapse we are seeing that huge pay does not always equal great performance) Did I miss something? Where did I say anything about a theme park or Disneyland in my reply? I wasn't talking about their recent $250M proposal. I was referring to their plan to build a new museum as far back as the early 90's. Not a $100M theme park. They may have bought back the planes but they turned around and sold off a large amount of personal items just to make ends meet. And exactly what new "expansion" has EPE added in the past decade? All I can think of was them turning the Graceland Crossing gift shop into a cheap looking exhibit that any fan could have done a better job on. But this is totally off topic so this is all I'm gonna say about this.

KPM
10-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Did I miss something? Where did I say anything about a theme park or Disneyland in my reply? I wasn't talking about their recent $250M proposal. I was referring to their plan to build a new museum as far back as the early 90's. Not a $100M theme park. They may have bought back the planes but they turned around and sold off a large amount of personal items just to make ends meet. And exactly what new "expansion" has EPE added in the past decade? All I can think of was them turning the Graceland Crossing gift shop into a cheap looking exhibit that any fan could have done a better job on. But this is totally off topic so this is all I'm gonna say about this.
Pal I am not going to get into a shooting match with you. We just see it totally opposite.
I do not see Graceland as being on poverty row before Sillerman. By anyones stretch of the imagination Graceland was not in the poor house. A museum would be nice, but Graceland is already a museum in itself. Elvis is the reason people want to see Graceland-not high tech gadgets nor any high tech museum. If they happen fine if they do not I really do not see financial ruin coming to Graceland and Lisa
Has anyone ever claimed that Graceland was near a catastrophic financial meltdown since the first years it opened-no. Has its running been praised by people outside the entertainment field-yes. I recall an article in the business section of Time or Newsweek years ago discussing how it was an efficient money making operation.
The deal with Sillerman was not a do or die situation for the future of EPE-it was a stratigic business move which placed all of the risk on Sillerman and all of the advantage to Lisa. 100 million up front stock, and Graceland still in her ownership. Graceland made (by most impartial estimates) good profits before Sillerman and would have made them if he had not become involved. The expansion is his problem, his investment- and Lisa reaps any potential profit from her 15% interest. It was a smart business decision, from her standpoint.

Elvislives72
10-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Pal I am not going to get into a shooting match with you. We just see it totally opposite.
I do not see Graceland as being on poverty row before Sillerman. By anyones stretch of the imagination Graceland was not in the poor house. A museum would be nice, but Graceland is already a museum in itself. Elvis is the reason people want to see Graceland-not high tech gadgets nor any high tech museum. If they happen fine if they do not I really do not see financial ruin coming to Graceland and Lisa
Has anyone ever claimed that Graceland was near a catastrophic financial meltdown since the first years it opened-no. Has its running been praised by people outside the entertainment field-yes. I recall an article in the business section of Time or Newsweek years ago discussing how it was an efficient money making operation.
The deal with Sillerman was not a do or die situation for the future of EPE-it was a stratigic business move which placed all of the risk on Sillerman and all of the advantage to Lisa. 100 million up front stock, and Graceland still in her ownership. Graceland made (by most impartial estimates) good profits before Sillerman and would have made them if he had not become involved. The expansion is his problem, his investment- and Lisa reaps any potential profit from her 15% interest. It was a smart business decision, from her standpoint.

Once again where do you see anything remotely close to what I said referring to some hi tech gadgets? I was not referring to anything like that. I was referring to better facilities. As a fan is that hard to askf rom them? But to each his own because obviously we're not going to see eye to eye on this subject.

KPM
10-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Once again where do you see anything remotely close to what I said referring to some hi tech gadgets? I was not referring to anything like that. I was referring to better facilities. As a fan is that hard to askf rom them? But to each his own because obviously we're not going to see eye to eye on this subject.
You are correct-we are not going to see eye to eye on this. (y)

ehollier
10-29-2008, 03:13 AM

Whew!!! Thanks Ken for clearing this up. I was beginning to get worried that Lisa Marie and her twins were going to be near starvation by years end......:lol::lol::lol:

TotallyInsane
10-29-2008, 04:33 AM
I was beginning to think we might better get a collection started for the twins so Lisa wouldn't have to worry about putting food on the table!!

franny
10-29-2008, 04:38 AM

Each state has a minimum wage and there is a Federal minimum wage-it would not matter who they hire they can not pay any lower than minimum wage. I have no idea what the pay structure is at Graceland-my brother has been there 3 times and he has never complained about the people who worked there. I will point out every business has good employees and bad employees-from EPE on down to McDonalds and from EPE on up to Wall Street (which since the financial collapse we are seeing that huge pay does not always equal great performance)

Fantastic post!! :notworthy

franny

utmom2008
10-29-2008, 04:39 AM
This has an uncanny familiar ring...anyone else hear it?;):blink:;):blink::blink:

When we were there 2 weeks ago we had one person tell us that it was their understanding that EPE payed well.:blush:;):blush:

utmom2008
10-29-2008, 04:42 AM
A museum would be nice, but Graceland is already a museum in itself. Elvis is the reason people want to see Graceland-not high tech gadgets nor any high tech museum.

Great post Ken!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Elvislives72
10-29-2008, 04:56 AM
Why do you guys keep saying great post to KPM when all he did was twist and turn my point of views into something that was irrelevant? And EPE may pay well NOW but they didn't back in the late 90's which was my whole point to begin with. But none of this is even about the topic so why are we even discussing it?

ehollier
10-29-2008, 05:07 AM
I was beginning to think we might better get a collection started for the twins so Lisa wouldn't have to worry about putting food on the table!!

Maybe we could have a canned-food drive -- send all dontations (non-perishables and monetary donations as well) Lisa Marie Food Drive c/o Graceland just to make sure that they eat well with winter. You know, you've got to eat healthy while you're taking care of newborns..... :blink::blink::blink:

franny
10-29-2008, 05:25 AM
Why do you guys keep saying great post to KPM when all he did was twist and turn my point of views into something that was irrelevant? And EPE may pay well NOW but they didn't back in the late 90's which was my whole point to begin with. But none of this is even about the topic so why are we even discussing it?

I said it because I liked it! (y)

franny

bobbie5564
10-29-2008, 08:21 AM
i work at graceland and i wish everyday i could go up stairs....

Teddy
10-29-2008, 11:06 AM

I bet you do! The temptation to run up quickly must be overwhelming when you're in there daily :lol:(y)

I'm jealous :blush: Have you managed to meet Priscilla yet? :)

presley31
10-29-2008, 02:46 PM

We agree with KPM cause we enjoy what he says on his posts.(y)

KPM
10-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Why do you guys keep saying great post to KPM when all he did was twist and turn my point of views into something that was irrelevant? EPE may pay well NOW bAnd ut they didn't back in the late 90's which was my whole point to begin with. But none of this is even about the topic so why are we even discussing it?
You see that is your opinion "that in the late 90's" EPE was not paying well.
My opinion is it has always steadily grown each year-earning more. That is pretty much what happened and its earnings were up 2 to 3 million each year up to the Sillerman deal. Inflation has been running at about 2-3% on average for the last 8-10 years up to the Sillerman deal-so if they were making 40 million and profit went up to 43 million, that 3 million is nearly 3 times the average inflation rate which is a nice increase in any business in any year.
What deceased entertainer has earned anywhere near that, including John Lennon estate who is comparible to Elvis in music and died just a few years after Elvis. EPE has never since the first few years been in a dire straights situation-that is my point. You and I may not agree with how they spent their money-but they have made capital investments over the years they have bought property and prudently they have not over extended themselves by rushing into huge expansions. They have been a well run organization. I do not agree with everything they have done, but I have to give them their due-as a stratigic profit making company. IMO

utmom2008
10-29-2008, 07:41 PM

They made $52 million this year.....$49 million last year. I don't think that $3 million dollars has been the difference in keeping them out of the poorhouse.;) I don't believe that $3 million will afford them the chance for better upkeep.:doh:

We have all said "great post" because as always....Ken's thoughts are logical and well thought out. I don't find where he has "twisted and turned" your point of view.:hmm::doh::hmm::hmm:

Unchained Melody
10-30-2008, 01:48 AM

I would'nt mind working at Graceland..to be honest, I would absolutley love it!! Welcome to TCB World by the way I'm Brad nice to meet ya (y)

Unchained Melody
10-30-2008, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by KPM http://www.tcb-world.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?p=257272#post257272)
A museum would be nice, but Graceland is already a museum in itself. Elvis is the reason people want to see Graceland-not high tech gadgets nor any high tech museum.

Exactly. Very well said !!

SeeSeeRider777
10-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Was that 52 million that was just reported profit or income?

Elvislives72
10-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Was that 52 million that was just reported profit or income? It was income

SeeSeeRider777
10-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Yes then that is quite little. They have tons of expenses. I would like to look at EPE's tax returns. I cant see them having much of a profit. If any.

KPM
10-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Yes then that is quite little. They have tons of expenses. I would like to look at EPE's tax returns. I cant see them having much of a profit. If any.
I'm sure they make a hefty profit each year. This is from an piece of an article I found on the net at:
http://www.dealmakerdaily.com/column/2/4563.html
Forbes estimated in 1999 that Elvis’ 1998 earnings were $35 million.
With that kind of cash flow, estimates of Lisa Marie Presley’s net worth of being between $250 and $600 million are not unreasonable.

I have read that Lisa is worth near 300 million in other estimates which would be near the middle of Forbes estimates. (which are usually pretty solid)
There is no way she could have that much money-if EPE is not making a very good profit each year. Its been about 28 years since Graceland opened-so she has banked over 10 million a year (some years more some less)-after paying the staff, insurance, utilities, taxes, and any capital expenditures and upkeep during that time.
Another bit of info I found on EPE and profit:
.... estimated earnings for EPE ($40 million in 2004) are a gross figure. Net profit is more likely in the range of $5 million to $7 million per annum.
Another statement by Memphis reporter SHERMAN WILLMOTT ,12/21/2004 in the
The Memphis Flyer says the net profit per year is $12 million.

This is from a press release by EPE at the time of the deal with Sillerman.
The Elvis businesses had total revenue of $44.9 million for 2003 and $37.9 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2004. Net operating income before depreciation and amortization for those periods was $12 million and $9.4 million, respectively.
It just stands to reason Sillerman is not going to invest 100 million of cash and stock from his fortune into any operation which has not consistently shown it makes a good bottom line profit.
So IMO the true proof of the profits EPE has consistently made is in the fact that Sillerman wanted to buy in. Most deals like this would have been a 100% take over-yet he was willing to settle for 85% and no ownership of Graceland nor Elvis's personal property at Graceland.

SeeSeeRider777
10-31-2008, 01:24 AM
^True. True.

utmom2008
10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
It just stands to reason Sillerman is not going to invest 100 million of cash and stock from his fortune into any operation which has not consistently shown it makes a good bottom line profit.
So IMO the true proof of the profits EPE has consistently made is in the fact that Sillerman wanted to buy in. Most deals like this would have been a 100% take over-yet he was willing to settle for 85% and no ownership of Graceland nor Elvis's personal property at Graceland.

(y)(y)(y)(y)

Elvislives72
10-31-2008, 02:33 AM

True Sillerman's not gonna spend $100M of his own money. It's $250M he's going to invest into Graceland. No secret there. But back to topic, what does this have to do with the upstairs at Graceland?:hmm:

KPM
10-31-2008, 03:25 AM
True Sillerman's not gonna spend $100M of his own money. It's $250M he's going to invest into Graceland. No secret there. But back to topic, what does this have to do with the upstairs at Graceland?:hmm:
Respectfully-I think it goes back to this opinion you gave a couple pages back:

Considering that EPE has been hurting for money in the past few years pre-CKX it makes.....
I did not agree with that comment and I have been respectfully making my case for why this is not so IMO. I have shown they were making pretty close to 7-10 million in profit a year according to Forbes and others-that is not hurting for money.

The $100 million I was referring to was the initial $100 million that Lisa got for 85% of EPE. The $250 million is a separate figure-it is the "estimate" that Sillerman has given for his expansion. So far he has not spent any where near that figure. But lets remember the estimate that the expansion would happen in about 3 years and that is also way way off. I recall last year some were saying it might only be 18 months-I predicted then that it was not so cut and dry. (I think in that case I have been proven correct)

utmom2008
10-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Respectfully-I think it goes back to this opinion you gave a couple pages back:

Considering that EPE has been hurting for money in the past few years pre-CKX it makes.....
I did not agree with that comment and I have been respectfully making my case for why this is not so IMO. I have shown they were making pretty close to 7-10 million in profit a year according to Forbes and others-that is not hurting for money.

The $100 million I was referring to was the initial $100 million that Lisa got for 85% of EPE. The $250 million is a separate figure-it is the "estimate" that Sillerman has given for his expansion. So far he has not spent any where near that figure. But lets remember the estimate that the expansion would happen in about 3 years and that is also way way off. I recall last year some were saying it might only be 18 months-I predicted then that it was not so cut and dry. (I think in that case I have been proven correct)
BINGO!!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Hot4Elvis
11-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Leave Elvis' bedroom sealed off to the public, that was the only place in the entire world that really was his very own sanctuary...let the man have one thing in his entire life to stay untouched and unexposed to the public.